HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Bos - edm

Old
10-15-2012, 03:54 AM
Dr Danglefest
Vindication

vCash: 500
Bos - edm

To Boston: Hemsky

TO Edmonton: Caron + 2nd

Fire away, add to either side if really necessary

Dr Danglefest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2012, 04:13 AM
Bryanbryoil
Paying Off A Bet

I haven't seen Caron in some time, does he have top 6 or top 9 upside? If we were to trade Hemsky I probably wouldn't be looking for a winger unless he was a bruiser type as we have a lot of skilled wingers as is.

10-15-2012, 05:33 AM
Fourier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Danglefest View Post
To Boston: Hemsky

TO Edmonton: Caron + 2nd

Fire away, add to either side if really necessary
Actually, this is a pretty interesting offer. I doubt the Oilers would do it now but it is the type of deal I could see at a trade deadline in 2013-2014 if the Oilers were not in the palyoffs, though I expect they will be close by then.

One quesion I have is can he play the left side, given that he also shoots left. The Oilers need big body with some skill on the left to play with either Eberle or Yakupov.

Last edited by Fourier: 10-15-2012 at 06:33 AM.
Fourier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2012, 05:55 AM
IrishPaulie
Sooshii is AWESOME!!

Send a message via AIM to IrishPaulie
Don't think this works cap space wise.

Last edited by IrishPaulie: 10-15-2012 at 09:49 AM.
IrishPaulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2012, 06:23 AM
svat

pretty lopsided for the bruins. caron is way overrated, and with hemsky in our top 9, we would have the best in the east by far.

marchand-bergeron-seguin
lucic-krecji-horton
peverly-kelly-hemsky

kelly is the only weak spot in there, but dat depth...dat depth.

edit*not best by far, but no competition for top 3.

Last edited by svat: 10-15-2012 at 06:25 AM. Reason: edited
svat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2012, 06:31 AM
Fourier

Quote:
Originally Posted by svat View Post
pretty lopsided for the bruins. caron is way overrated, and with hemsky in our top 9, we would have the best in the east by far.

marchand-bergeron-seguin
lucic-krecji-horton
peverly-kelly-hemsky

kelly is the only weak spot in there, but dat depth...dat depth.

edit*not best by far, but no competition for top 3.
Interesting to hear the comments on Caron being over rated. I must confess I have not seen much of him since he was a junior. I never thought he'd be a big producer at the NHl\L level but rather more of a complementary guy with a very good defensive game and the ability to use his size.

Old
10-15-2012, 06:37 AM
Mrb1p

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourier View Post
Interesting to hear the comments on Caron being over rated. I must confess I have not seen much of him since he was a junior. I never thought he'd be a big producer at the NHl\L level but rather more of a complementary guy with a very good defensive game and the ability to use his size.
That's what he is. He's never going to produce 50 points.. well unless he develops extremely well.

Mrb1p is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2012, 07:00 AM
Fourier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrb1p View Post
That's what he is. He's never going to produce 50 points.. well unless he develops extremely well.
Does he have the right sort of game to play the LW with guys like Eberle and RNH? He obviously does not have to drive the offense with these guys but rather be the player to get them the puck, do some of the heavy lifting, be defensively responsible, and have enough skill so that the puck does not die on his stick.

Old
10-15-2012, 07:50 AM
nmbr_24

Quote:
Caron is extremely underrated, I have no idea what this guy is talking about. There are almost no Bruins fans who want to even give the guy a shot at 3rd line time never mind overrating him.

Caron is a big winger who can use his body to shield the puck, he can use his body to check effectively although he is not really the kind of guy who is going to be laying out highlight reel hits, he just does the job with not many people taking notice.

He is very good defensively, at one point he was actually leading the Bruins in PK time above even Patrice bergeron, so that should give you an idea of his defensive ability. Solid, dependable, nothing fancy, he gets the job done.

He has also shown that when he gets a chance to play with linemates who have better scoring ability he can rise to the occasion and for a few games when he was on a line woth Krejci and Lucic, Caron might have been the Bruins best player for a few games last year.

None of that means he will be anything more than a good 3rd liner with excellent defensive abilities, but I would be willing to bet that he is extremely capable of being a consistent 20 goal scorer if he is put in a role where he is expected to score a little more.

I guess if you were expecting a 1st liner you are a little dissappointed with Caron, if you were just waiting to see how he turned out you can clearly see that the kid has game and will be a good player and probably has 2nd line potential.

nmbr_24 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2012, 08:04 AM
nmbr_24

Quote:
Does he have the right sort of game to play the LW with guys like Eberle and RNH? He obviously does not have to drive the offense with these guys but rather be the player to get them the puck, do some of the heavy lifting, be defensively responsible, and have enough skill so that the puck does not die on his stick.
Caron is exactly that player, it is like you know how he plays and are describing him.

He has a pretty good shot and he even has some nice moves on the breakaway and although he isn't speedy, he isn't slow, probably average NHL speed.

Nothing about him jumps out at you, but the entire package makes caron a good player. I think that is why so many Bruins fans don't really care about him. He doesn't hit like Lucic or score like Seguin or Fight like Thornton, his game is kind of bland but it works for him.

When he played with Krejci and Lucic he used his body extremely effectively to get them the puck and directly was responsible for that line scoring so well in the few games they played together.

He also hasn't finished developing in my opinion, I think we are just getting an idea of the player he will be.

I have been wrong before, but I think he will be a 20 goal scoring winger who plays on the 2nd line and the PK but probably not the PP unless they want him to stand in front of the net to knock home rebounds.

I like the kid but I also don't expect him to be a 1st liner or a 40 goal scorer like some people do because he was drafted in the 1st round. For a kid who was taken 25th overall I think it should be pointed out that he has outperformed all but maybe 8-10 players from that draft so far and not many more than that have made an NHL team yet.

Caron is not a star, he will be a good player who can play anywhere in the lineup when asked to and those kind of players can be invaluable to teams come playoff time.

Last edited by nmbr_24: 10-15-2012 at 08:15 AM.
nmbr_24 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2012, 08:05 AM
Oates2Neely

Not a fan of Hemsky, I doubt his ability to stay healthy, and I hate his cap hit. Id rather keep Caron

Oates2Neely is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2012, 08:58 AM
phonymahoney

Personally, I wouldn't want to give Caron up for someone as fragile as Hemsky. I think he's talented, but he seems to be plagued by injuries.

phonymahoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2012, 09:25 AM
bostone737

I wouldn't want' Hemsky for Caron alone. Hemsky has too many injuries and I eventually see Caron putting up close to similar stats while bringing more physicality and better D

bostone737 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2012, 09:37 AM
Fourier

I'll be honest, I think Hemsky's injury history is somewhat over blown.

He missed a lot of games the last fewyears due mainly to two separate shoulder injuries. These types of injuries are quite common and without surgery can be with a player for several years. In Boston, Chara and Krecji both had the same surgeries as Hemsky. The difference is that the Oilers decided to shut Hemsky down when the team was no longer in playoff contention to give him longer to heal. By all accounts the shoulders are now fine, as is typically the case after this type of surgery. He did miss a few games early on due to issues with the surgery, but pretty much played the rest of the season with no problems.

Hemsky has taken an unbelievable amount of abuse over the last 8 or so years. He is the type of player that has no hesitation to take a hit to make a play or to go into the tough areas. But for quite a few years he had a big target on his back as it was clear that if you could neutralize Hemsky you could derail the Oilers offense. Teams like Calgary and Vancouver would run him any chance they had. Regher in particular has been notorious for his Hemsky distain. Despite what it might seem from his games missed nubers he is actually very tough and tends to come back from minor issues.

On a team like Boston, I doubt Hemsky would be much of a target let alone the primary target that he had been in Edmonton.

Old
10-15-2012, 09:42 AM
BruinsNeedaRussian

Depends on the cap situation, but would love Hemsky in Boston.

BruinsNeedaRussian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2012, 10:10 AM
untouchable21
You've been TROUBA'D

Quote:

Very similar to Taylor Pyatt in my opinion and that's not a bad thing.

untouchable21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2012, 10:23 AM
WeridAl
YuckaFlux

Interesting offer, but the Oilers are loaded with bottom 6 LHS forwards, especially after the last draft. Rather wait and see if Hemsky is fully recovered from his injuries, if he is, his value would be higher.

WeridAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2012, 01:40 PM
Dr Danglefest
Vindication

Quote:
Yeah that's pretty much Caron to a tee.

He is the guy that would go into the corner, bang some bodies and throw it out front to the star scorer. But he has goo hands and can pop a few in himself.

Dr Danglefest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2012, 01:50 PM
Mrb1p

Quote:
Yes, he could play the same role Burrows play's on the Canucks. But I think you guy's should try Jones for this. For the moment atleast.

Old
10-15-2012, 01:57 PM
belair

When you consider what Samsonov returned some seasons ago, the offer isn't completely unreasonable from the Bruins perspective - just don't tell them who the 2nd turned into.

As for the current Oilers' perspective - there is no reason to move a veteran like Hemsky for two mediocre future pieces. He's still only 28 and could bounce back with the Oilers current core.

belair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2012, 02:04 PM
ToddRundgren
A Wizard A True Star

If it could work cap-wise, I'd be all over it.

That would make an outstanding top 9 for the Bruins that could be shifted around a lot.

ToddRundgren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2012, 02:09 PM
Mrb1p

Quote:
Originally Posted by belair View Post
When you consider what Samsonov returned some seasons ago, the offer isn't completely unreasonable from the Bruins perspective - just don't tell them who the 2nd turned into.

As for the current Oilers' perspective - there is no reason to move a veteran like Hemsky for two mediocre future pieces. He's still only 28 and could bounce back with the Oilers current core.
Mediocre? That's a good NHL READY PROSPECT.

+ a 2nd pick in a good draft.

Old
10-15-2012, 02:10 PM
Frankie Spankie

Hmm, interesting offer. The main issue is cap space for Boston. I would love to see Hemsky in Boston despite his injury problems. From what I've seen of him playing with Krejci in the world championships, they look amazing together.

Caron still looks like a really good prospect for me. He still seems really raw but when he uses his body to his advantage, he is a really good player. There was a couple of games this past year that had my eyes popping out of my head, I remember going on about how dominant he could be when he works hard. He's definitely not fully there yet, but he has shown flashes. Hopefully those flashes come closer and closer together. I don't think he'll ever be as good as Hemsky, I see him topping off as a good 2nd line winger with good 2 way abilities myself. But I think it's a fair value trade to add a 2nd rounder as well as Caron for a player like Hemsky.

Not sure what Edmonton's PK is like but I know during his time in Boston, Caron was amongst the top forwards in PK time, despite how little experience he's had in the NHL. I think that speaks volumes for how good he is defensively. He's ready to be slotted into any NHL line up whenever the lock out ends too.

Frankie Spankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2012, 02:53 PM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrb1p View Post
Mediocre? That's a good NHL READY PROSPECT.

+ a 2nd pick in a good draft.
NHL ready doesn't change the fact he has fairly minimal upside (top 6 at least) OP is correct. It doesn't make sense to trade Hemsky. If he has in fact bounced back, he's worth a 1st and a much better prospect. If he doesn't rebound, then we can consider trading him for something like this

The Nuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2012, 03:08 PM
Paradise
Individual thinker

Not interested in Hemsky on Boston at all. Edmonton should keep him. I'd rather Boston gave Caron the time to develop into a solid NHL player, which he seems well on his way to becoming. He works hard, plays well defensively and still has room to add to his offensive game. I think he'll slot in well on Boston's 3rd line with Kelly and Peverley.

Paradise is offline   Reply With Quote