HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Public Hockey Rink

Old
10-14-2012, 09:22 PM
spanky8992

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to spanky8992
Public Hockey Rink

There is a public hockey rink in my town and they don't take care of it. There are holes in the boards, no netting behind the nets and stuff like that. It's just plain bad. I was wondering what kind of things that you guys do to keep your rinks in shape without spending a whole lot of money. Thanks.

spanky8992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2012, 09:46 PM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
Originally Posted by spanky8992 View Post
There is a public hockey rink in my town and they don't take care of it. There are holes in the boards, no netting behind the nets and stuff like that. It's just plain bad. I was wondering what kind of things that you guys do to keep your rinks in shape without spending a whole lot of money. Thanks.
If you are coaching a youth hockey team at the rink or even play on a Men's league team, I've heard and seen teams "fundraising" through cleaning up or improving the quality of their rink. Especially if you have a group of guys that have some construction or handyman skills, I'd see if you couldn't trade your services and time to help fix up the rink for some ice time for your team...

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2012, 10:03 PM
spanky8992

Sorry, I should have said it was an outdoor roller hockey rink. Thanks for the Reply tho.

Old
10-14-2012, 10:52 PM
AZcoyotes
So... Now what?

Net's arent that expensive. Just get a few buddies to drop $10 and you that solves that problem. The holes in the boards, well I'm not smart enough to figure that out.

AZcoyotes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2012, 01:00 AM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
Sorry, I should have said it was an outdoor roller hockey rink. Thanks for the Reply tho.
No problem, I have plenty of experience in inline too...

Sounds like the town likely built the rink, but have since either neglected to budget for upkeep or have seen their budget shrink in the recession (most likely both).

Is there anyone that's in charge of the rink? Parks and Rec director? League director? If so, I'd see if you couldn't speak with them about either looking for volunteers to fix up the rink and/or seeing if they would be open to finding local businesses that would donate materials and/or labor or cash to help fix up the rink in exchange for advertising on the boards, on signs, or whatever.

When you say, "no nets behind the nets" are there boards, but no "glass" or fencing? Most outdoor rinks have rubber coated chain link fencing or solid plywood boards behind the nets to stop pucks from going out of the rink. Depending on the condition of and what exists for boards, you might be able to speak to a local hardware store about donating or giving you a discount on materials to fix that if you get permission from the town to help improve the rink.

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2012, 08:28 AM
Devil Dancer

Find out who owns the land and start complaining. We did that with a rink here in D.C. and we got the whole thing rebuilt. It might mean going to city counsel meetings or making some calls or writing some letters, but it's worth it.

Also, use your connections. Do you know anyone with any authority who could talk to someone on your behalf?

Hell, start a non-profit entity and put it on your resume. "Successfully lobbied local governments for improvements to parkland" or something.

Devil Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2012, 09:55 AM
spanky8992

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil Dancer View Post
Find out who owns the land and start complaining. We did that with a rink here in D.C. and we got the whole thing rebuilt. It might mean going to city counsel meetings or making some calls or writing some letters, but it's worth it.

Also, use your connections. Do you know anyone with any authority who could talk to someone on your behalf?

Hell, start a non-profit entity and put it on your resume. "Successfully lobbied local governments for improvements to parkland" or something.
This might actually work. I sent an e-mail to the borough and they said it will be brought up at the next board meeting.

Old
10-16-2012, 08:25 AM
bigduga

Quote:
This might actually work. I sent an e-mail to the borough and they said it will be brought up at the next board meeting.
Fair warning. This could also blow up in your face.

Be prepared to argue, for instance, that they shouldn't tear the whole thing down and make it a picnic area that requires less maintenence and is less a potential insurance liability. I've had a fair number of these discussions from both sides of a council dais. If you ask them to make a plan to "fix" your rink, there's a fair chance a bulldozer will fix it. You'll have much better odds of saving the thing if you show up with ideas about how to fix it, and a willingness to push the initiative along yourself.

Follow up and volunteer to help wherever possible.

While it's generally true that the squeaky wheel gets the grease, it's also true that the squeaky wheel gets replaced by a whole new wheel. It's certainly worth fighting for, but be ready to do a lot of work.

bigduga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2012, 12:48 PM
spanky8992

Oh god no. The only thing I asked of them was to replace a few lights. From a saftey stand point you would think they would want to fix the lights so nothing shady goes on down there.

Old
10-23-2012, 10:45 PM
spanky8992

Someone busted up our net lol. But we pooled some money and made a new net out of PVC pipe.

Old
10-23-2012, 10:55 PM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

As far as replacing the boards, you might want to check into the possibility that a company would purchase new boards in exchange for ad space.

Of course whether that is even possible is going to depend on the laws in your town.

tarheelhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2012, 04:01 PM
spanky8992

I'll inquire about that. Thanks for all the replys.