HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > QMJHL

Moncton Wildcats

Old
10-14-2012, 05:39 PM
welcometothebigshow2

vCash: 500
Moncton better pick things up fast. Not looking like a contender at all so far. There's been flashes, but, I don't know if it's chemistry, but they need to pick it up. If they are still just a midpack team at Christmas, I wonder if Flynn is thinking on selling off. Imagine the returns he could fetch on players like Veilleux, Jaskin, Saulniers, Melindy, etc. However I fully expect them to pick it up.

welcometothebigshow2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2012, 06:49 PM
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildcatMapleLeafs28 View Post
Ya pretty sure that's it. He's not even reporting since they already have 3 overagers and their a bottom feeder. He's headed to Truro from what I hear which may be a good idea since they're hosting the Fred Page Cup. I don't think there's any compensation headed to Shawinigan as result.
Do Turo have a good team ? Can he help them win.

IHaveNoCreativity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2012, 07:25 PM
WildcatMapleLeafs28

Quote:
Originally Posted by IHaveNoCreativity View Post
Do Turo have a good team ? Can he help them win.
They're in 3rd place with 16 points trailing only Yarmouth(18pts) and Summerside(17pts).
He would definately be an impact player for them as he would be arguably the best defensive defenceman in the Maritime Hockey League.

WildcatMapleLeafs28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2012, 07:33 PM
WildcatMapleLeafs28

Quote:
Originally Posted by welcometothebigshow2 View Post
Moncton better pick things up fast. Not looking like a contender at all so far. There's been flashes, but, I don't know if it's chemistry, but they need to pick it up. If they are still just a midpack team at Christmas, I wonder if Flynn is thinking on selling off. Imagine the returns he could fetch on players like Veilleux, Jaskin, Saulniers, Melindy, etc. However I fully expect them to pick it up.
There's not excuses but they do have 14 players that are new to the team this season. Chemistry comes with time and with a turn over like that it may take longer than expected. They have also been very unlucky. Bounces have not been going in their direction and some of the losses have been very close games that could have gone either way like tonight against Rouyn Noranda. We were able to contain the Dea, Andrighetto, Desjardins line and outshot them. Althought we ended up losing 3-2 , Dubeau hard a stronger game than he's been having. I think the "part-time" goaltending coach position is hurting us as his rebound control has been brutal and a mentor could help a young tender in the confidence department. We do have the talent so I'm guessing we'll get the win column rolling soon.

Old
10-14-2012, 08:34 PM
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner

14 new players... That's the majority of your team... They need time.

Old
10-15-2012, 09:48 AM
WildcatMapleLeafs28

Quote:
14 new players... That's the majority of your team... They need time.
And that dosn't include Wood, Sweeney and Emond who were acquired after Chritmas last season. So 17 newer faces in a crazy turn over.

Old
10-15-2012, 04:24 PM
DayNah
Ship it donk!

Went to yesterday's game. 3rd I've been to this year. The looked pretty good in their home opener, fell apart against SJ a couple days later(the one where Huberdeau had like 25 PIMS and still got first star haha). They didn't look great at all yesterday. Really like Jaskin's play. St Louis got lucky with him.

DayNah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2012, 06:51 PM
WildcatMapleLeafs28

Quote:
Originally Posted by DayNah View Post
Went to yesterday's game. 3rd I've been to this year. The looked pretty good in their home opener, fell apart against SJ a couple days later(the one where Huberdeau had like 25 PIMS and still got first star haha). They didn't look great at all yesterday. Really like Jaskin's play. St Louis got lucky with him.
Definately a solid pick but that comes expected in the 2nd round.

Old
10-15-2012, 09:34 PM
RJQuack

Cam McdDonald released.

RJQuack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2012, 02:22 AM
helicecopter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DayNah View Post
not sure why lucky.. it's not like they got him out of a draw

how is his skating looking this season btw?

that's the main issue with him imo, it looked really subpar last year.

helicecopter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2012, 09:41 AM

What? His skating is amazing!

#57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2012, 10:08 AM
ClemQ

Quote:
There's not excuses but they do have 14 players that are new to the team this season. Chemistry comes with time and with a turn over like that it may take longer than expected. They have also been very unlucky. Bounces have not been going in their direction and some of the losses have been very close games that could have gone either way like tonight against Rouyn Noranda. We were able to contain the Dea, Andrighetto, Desjardins line and outshot them. Althought we ended up losing 3-2 , Dubeau hard a stronger game than he's been having. I think the "part-time" goaltending coach position is hurting us as his rebound control has been brutal and a mentor could help a young tender in the confidence department. We do have the talent so I'm guessing we'll get the win column rolling soon.
From what i have seen, they could go either way. 1 - they could turn things around and start winning games like crazy. The talent for the most part is there. or 2 - they could keep going the way they are currently going.

There are things that have happened since the beginning of the year that could indicate they are not 100% on board with Flynn's system. Keep in mind this happened 6 years ago also when Flynn first took over. The decision then was to get rid of all the veterans and start from scratch. When you look at the current wildcats, in terms of core players, there are only 3-4 that have been there for any length of time under Flynn. It's very plausible that the other key players are not buying in. i'm not putting him down in anyway as a coach, he's a phenomenal coach, but, the players have to buy what your selling. Sometimes they just dont, and there is nothing that can change their perception.

The other thing IMO... WAYYYY too much has been expected of the wildcats. To listen to the moncton media, the wildcats should contend for the memorial cup. Show me another team that integrated 15 new faces essentially and won a league championship? Halifax and quebec are miles ahead of moncton and are not having to integrate new players for the most part. Both those teams were built through the draft, not through trades. Both of those teams have multiple high picks. Other than the Saulniers, the wildcats core players are basically coming in from elsewhere.

all My opinion only....

ClemQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2012, 10:15 AM
WildcatMapleLeafs28

Quote:
Originally Posted by helicecopter View Post
not sure why lucky.. it's not like they got him out of a draw

how is his skating looking this season btw?

that's the main issue with him imo, it looked really subpar last year.
Skating ?! If anything that's one of his strong points

Old
10-16-2012, 10:18 AM
WildcatMapleLeafs28

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemQ View Post
From what i have seen, they could go either way. 1 - they could turn things around and start winning games like crazy. The talent for the most part is there. or 2 - they could keep going the way they are currently going.

There are things that have happened since the beginning of the year that could indicate they are not 100% on board with Flynn's system. Keep in mind this happened 6 years ago also when Flynn first took over. The decision then was to get rid of all the veterans and start from scratch. When you look at the current wildcats, in terms of core players, there are only 3-4 that have been there for any length of time under Flynn. It's very plausible that the other key players are not buying in. i'm not putting him down in anyway as a coach, he's a phenomenal coach, but, the players have to buy what your selling. Sometimes they just dont, and there is nothing that can change their perception.

The other thing IMO... WAYYYY too much has been expected of the wildcats. To listen to the moncton media, the wildcats should contend for the memorial cup. Show me another team that integrated 15 new faces essentially and won a league championship? Halifax and quebec are miles ahead of moncton and are not having to integrate new players for the most part. Both those teams were built through the draft, not through trades. Both of those teams have multiple high picks. Other than the Saulniers, the wildcats core players are basically coming in from elsewhere.

all My opinion only....
I agree with most of what you have said. I think there's a better chance they go the first way. Not just because I am a hopeful fan but because they do have the players to be among the top teams and getting players to gel , like you mentioned, will take time. I think once they start coming together as a team , the wins will start coming easier.

Old
10-16-2012, 01:38 PM
ClemQ

Quote:
I agree with most of what you have said. I think there's a better chance they go the first way. Not just because I am a hopeful fan but because they do have the players to be among the top teams and getting players to gel , like you mentioned, will take time. I think once they start coming together as a team , the wins will start coming easier.
the one thing that has me leaning towards the fact the veterans dont buy in to Flynn is little quips like what Saulnier said after the game against Rouyn. Not sure if you caught it, but in the interview, when asked about Rouyn's team, he answered "they're a well coached team". Can be interpreted many ways....
The other thing is i find Flynn is grasping for straws, the played chicoutimi a friday, Baie comeau a saturday. After losing friday, and winning saturday, Flynn's comment was "it was a tough weekend, back to back games with lots of travel between games". Was he serious?? Baie comeau is 2hrs from Chicoutimi!!!!!!

i just find they are all grasping for straws, and trying to justify what's happening. Having said all that, i'm not burying them, i'm on board in the sense that they have the talent, and the players. sometimes it's just tougher than people think to put it together and get results!

Old
10-16-2012, 07:37 PM
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner

Quote:
And that dosn't include Wood, Sweeney and Emond who were acquired after Chritmas last season. So 17 newer faces in a crazy turn over.
That's basically an entire team... No wonder their struggling !

Old
10-17-2012, 09:06 AM
Dogpound

Brett Malone

Brett Malone put on waivers.. tough break for the kid. didn't play as a 16 and then hurt most of his 17 year old year. Tough to get better when you don't play. i don't find Flynn give much of an opportunity to his younger guys. Plunks them all on the fourth line and subs them in and out of lineup no matter how good they play. Tremaine had a goal and an assist and then was a healthy scratch the next game. Stephen Johnson scored his first goal of the year and then was a healthy scratch the next game after that. not a confidence builder for a young kid when you score and then are taken out of lineup the next game.

Dogpound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2012, 10:58 AM
WildcatMapleLeafs28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogpound View Post
Brett Malone put on waivers.. tough break for the kid. didn't play as a 16 and then hurt most of his 17 year old year. Tough to get better when you don't play. i don't find Flynn give much of an opportunity to his younger guys. Plunks them all on the fourth line and subs them in and out of lineup no matter how good they play. Tremaine had a goal and an assist and then was a healthy scratch the next game. Stephen Johnson scored his first goal of the year and then was a healthy scratch the next game after that. not a confidence builder for a young kid when you score and then are taken out of lineup the next game.
Malone had an okay first season in the Q as a 16 year old rookie. His injury last season is what put him behind the 8 ball. He was only able to player 33 games last season and wasn't the same after coming back. This year he is on a team that has a strong top 6 and Malone dosn't necessarily fit Flynn's bottom 6 two-way,checking forward role. Although he hasn't been contributing with the Wildcats , I think he'd flourish on a team like Sherbrooke where he could get more playing time and minutes on the PP. Malone is a solid skater, has good hockey iq and posseses a lethal wrist shot. I hope he has better luck on his next team.

Old
10-17-2012, 10:58 AM
ClemQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogpound View Post

i agree with how they treat players in general. but this kid was way, way over rated from the start. Neil Hodge wrote everywhere/everytime he had a chance that this kid was first round material, if not for the fact that he was leaning towards college. Ask all the Q scouts and not one will tell you Malone was leaning towards college. Agree on your timeline, unfortunately, no room for him to play....they've paid big money/picks/prospects to get all the players they now have. they have to play them.

the wildcats have one shot this year....after this year, they are in for a tough 3-4yrs.

Old
10-17-2012, 12:18 PM
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner

Quote:
the wildcats have one shot this year....after this year, they are in for a tough 3-4yrs.
They have money and can manipulate the draft ?

Old
10-17-2012, 12:58 PM
ClemQ

Quote:
They have money and can manipulate the draft ?
as much as they would like to believe they have tremendous depth of prospects....the reality would indicate otherwise

Old
10-17-2012, 02:04 PM
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner

Quote:
as much as they would like to believe they have tremendous depth of prospects....the reality would indicate otherwise
Ya but they can still manipulate the draft and buy off people.

Old
10-17-2012, 03:08 PM
WildcatMapleLeafs28

Quote:
i agree with how they treat players in general. but this kid was way, way over rated from the start. Neil Hodge wrote everywhere/everytime he had a chance that this kid was first round material, if not for the fact that he was leaning towards college. Ask all the Q scouts and not one will tell you Malone was leaning towards college. Agree on your timeline, unfortunately, no room for him to play....they've paid big money/picks/prospects to get all the players they now have. they have to play them.

Obviously in Junior hockey a "go for it" season is usually followed by rebuilding for a season or 2. That's the life cycle of the CHL. I expect Moncton to have 2 mediocore seasons before making another push or before their among top teams again. However, I don't believe we will be a last place team either. As for next season , Moncton does have a nucleus of players returning thus far. We will be light up front ironically but have 4 or 5 returning dmen and a returning starting goaltender. As of now this is what they'll have returning:

Goaltenders:

Alex Dubeau
Spencer Tremblay

Defence:

Roussy
Wood
Sweeney
Primeau

Forwards:

Lalonde
Johnston
Haas
Tremaine
Penny
Johnson
Hodge
Barbashev

*And 3 of the following overagers (Deruelle, Veilleux , Emond, Racine, Melindy)

Prospects(promising)

Gab Gagne
Tanner McCabe
Liam Hynes
Connor Garland
Alexander Mann
Zachary Beaudoin
Mark Simpson
Brett Arthur
Alex Bradley
Josh Pugsley

Old
10-18-2012, 04:02 AM
helicecopter

Quote:
Originally Posted by #57
What? His skating is amazing!
Quote:
Skating ?! If anything that's one of his strong points
that's great news!

I think most who watched Jaskin last season and the year before (especially after his knee injury) would agree with me that it was the main thing holding him back.

Last edited by helicecopter: 10-18-2012 at 04:17 AM.
helicecopter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2012, 07:32 AM
ClemQ

Quote:
Obviously in Junior hockey a "go for it" season is usually followed by rebuilding for a season or 2. That's the life cycle of the CHL. I expect Moncton to have 2 mediocore seasons before making another push or before their among top teams again. However, I don't believe we will be a last place team either. As for next season , Moncton does have a nucleus of players returning thus far. We will be light up front ironically but have 4 or 5 returning dmen and a returning starting goaltender. As of now this is what they'll have returning:

Goaltenders:

Alex Dubeau
Spencer Tremblay

Defence:

Roussy
Wood
Sweeney
Primeau

Forwards:

Lalonde
Johnston
Haas
Tremaine
Penny
Johnson
Hodge
Barbashev

*And 3 of the following overagers (Deruelle, Veilleux , Emond, Racine, Melindy)

Prospects(promising)

Gab Gagne
Tanner McCabe
Liam Hynes
Connor Garland
Alexander Mann
Zachary Beaudoin
Mark Simpson
Brett Arthur
Alex Bradley
Josh Pugsley

we'll see i guess. i dont wish them bad luck and harship. i guess it depends what your opinion of solid prospects is. if your idea of a good prospect is someone that will play major junior, then yes, all those players are good prospects. if your idea of a good prospect is someone for example that could be a top 2 dman, and top line forward. Sorry, but then we disagree on those players.

nonetheless, for all their sake (and yours! as a fan!) i hope they get it going soon!!! a game tonight against PEI is probably not the best thing they could have gotten, but i hope they figure it out!! they havent had any luck against PEI.