HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

OKC Barons @ Lake Erie Monsters 10/13 11:00AM MDT Barons Revenge Or Monster Mash 2?

Closed Thread

Old
10-15-2012, 06:03 AM
Hoogaar23

vCash: 500
I'm not writing Paajarvi off yet, but I will say I was expecting him to be the best of the 3 rookies 2 years ago after his great performance at the 2010 WHC and the 4 points in his first pre-season game. At this point I suppose a Dvorak type would be fine, but it's a lot less than what I had hoped for. He will be an NHLer for a long time - just too many tools not to. I'm still holding out hope for him to put it all together on offense though,

Old
10-15-2012, 06:49 AM
Fourier

I watched the second period of the Lake Erie/Marlie game last night. The Monsters won 4-0.

I must say watching them play in HD on a much bigger screen gave me a better sense of what they were like as a team than watching the AHL live feed. Lake Erie reminds me of Phoenix in a way. You think you should roll over them but they trap, block shots, clog the middle, deflect passes and don't give up any rebounds.

The Marlies scored 3 pp goals on opening night but were completely frustrated by EL last night. They had about a dozen pps' with 2 5-3's. My guess is that when teams get their pp's working better that Erie will pay for there lack of discipline. But right now they are tough to score on.

Old
10-15-2012, 08:38 AM
jadeddog

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
If you have any posts from 2010 stating this I wouldnt be offended if you posted them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
I remember arguing against him when he stated that so based on memory alone I recall it happening. I actually posted about it before he posted his last post
haha, i didn't even see your post about this BBO... i'd still rather you be right about paajarvi, and he be a top-6 guy with offence, i just don't see it

as far as 2010 posts, yeah i'm not gonna do that, i haven't exactly had the best of luck with searching for posts before.... i guess you'll just have to believe me.... but now that i think about it, i suppose it could have been early 2011 i first started my "dvorak-hypothesis", as that would have been half way through his rookie season... at any point, i've been saying it for a long time... if you want to quibble about 1.5 years rather than 2 years, have at it

Old
10-15-2012, 10:30 AM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

I see that RNH and Eberle haven't hit the scoresheet yet in the AHL but how have they looked thus far?

Old
10-15-2012, 12:01 PM
oilers89

Does anyone know if the Barons will be playing any games in Edmonton this year, if the lockout continues?
I think i remember them playing a home and home with the heat in edmonton and calgary during the last lockout?

Old
10-15-2012, 12:09 PM
doubledown99

I actually recall Jadeddog comparing MPS to Dvorak way back. Can't remember when it was but it was a while ago and he was the first or one of the first that made the comparison. The reason I recall it was that I remember reading and thinking MPS will be better (or hoping he was). But looks like the comparison was bang on

Old
10-15-2012, 12:52 PM
joestevens29

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilers89 View Post
Does anyone know if the Barons will be playing any games in Edmonton this year, if the lockout continues?
I think i remember them playing a home and home with the heat in edmonton and calgary during the last lockout?
Last lockout the Edmonton Roadrunners were based in Edmonton.

Old
10-15-2012, 02:10 PM
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid

vCash: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by doubledown99 View Post
I actually recall Jadeddog comparing MPS to Dvorak way back. Can't remember when it was but it was a while ago and he was the first or one of the first that made the comparison. The reason I recall it was that I remember reading and thinking MPS will be better (or hoping he was). But looks like the comparison was bang on
I can't recall who made the comparison first...I may have read on Lowetides blog myself.

In any event it struck me as a very apt comparison. If jadeddog came up with that first then kudos to him becaue I think he has nailed it.

The difference between me and some posters is just perspective...I think the Dvorak comparison is a positive and not a negative.

Old
10-15-2012, 03:05 PM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumptheshark View Post
How has Lander looked for far
Gritty, solid on the PK, like a future bottom 6 NHL center that can play on the PK IMO. I'd keep him on the farm all year and have him work on his role and then next year open a spot for him if he looks ready (likely move Belanger out).

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadeddog View Post
haha, i didn't even see your post about this BBO... i'd still rather you be right about paajarvi, and he be a top-6 guy with offence, i just don't see it

as far as 2010 posts, yeah i'm not gonna do that, i haven't exactly had the best of luck with searching for posts before.... i guess you'll just have to believe me.... but now that i think about it, i suppose it could have been early 2011 i first started my "dvorak-hypothesis", as that would have been half way through his rookie season... at any point, i've been saying it for a long time... if you want to quibble about 1.5 years rather than 2 years, have at it
Like I said I thought that he had more going for him offensively, but he hasn't been showing it yet. I hope that my initial assessment was right too, but we'll have to wait and see. I remember Ray Bourque saying that he looked like a 1st line NHLer in his last WJC's so if he doesn't get there I'm not the only one that was wrong

Quote:
Originally Posted by guymez View Post
I can't recall who made the comparison first...I may have read on Lowetides blog myself.

In any event it struck me as a very apt comparison. If jadeddog came up with that first then kudos to him becaue I think he has nailed it.

The difference between me and some posters is just perspective...I think the Dvorak comparison is a positive and not a negative.
I'd still prefer him being the defensive presence on one of our top 2 lines and also contribute decently offensively, but teams have different roles and if he can become a shut down type of a player I can think of a lot less important roles on teams, so it'd still be a + for us.