HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Notices

The "I'm doing THIS, instead of watching hockey" thread

Old
10-15-2012, 08:53 AM
Bones45

vCash: 500
The "I'm doing THIS, instead of watching hockey" thread

Created in hopes of a fun, non "I hate the Isles, Snow, DP, Wang, and the lockout" thread, I created this. Please don't merge.

I used the phrase "I needed to fill the void somehow" to my wife over the weekend. I wasn't referring to the lack of hockey this year, but something else. (no, not THAT!)

So what have you been doing instead of watching hockey at night?

I have never been a huge football fan -- I'll watch and root for both NY teams, but now I'm watching ALL football on TV. MNF, Wed Night.. whatever is on. Not college though.. Yuk.

Picked up the guitar a bit as well. Friggin' rusty!!!

Would like to do some home improvement stuff, but haven't had the energy to get it off the ground. Clearly, this would be a good time to do it.

Also found my new favorite show. Have a total crush on this girl, and I don't know why. The Mindy Project. Its wacky, and cracks me up.

I guess that's about it. Between commuting and getting home at 6-7pm every night and having an almost 2 year old, that's about my life right now.

PS. Should the lockout end, and hockey returns, I'm still watching Mindy Kalings show. Straight up honesty right there..

Bones45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2012, 10:17 AM
Twine Seeking Missle
Go monkey go!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones45 View Post
Created in hopes of a fun, non "I hate the Isles, Snow, DP, Wang, and the lockout" thread, I created this. Please don't merge.

I used the phrase "I needed to fill the void somehow" to my wife over the weekend. I wasn't referring to the lack of hockey this year, but something else. (no, not THAT!)

So what have you been doing instead of watching hockey at night?

I have never been a huge football fan -- I'll watch and root for both NY teams, but now I'm watching ALL football on TV. MNF, Wed Night.. whatever is on. Not college though.. Yuk.

Picked up the guitar a bit as well. Friggin' rusty!!!

Would like to do some home improvement stuff, but haven't had the energy to get it off the ground. Clearly, this would be a good time to do it.

Also found my new favorite show. Have a total crush on this girl, and I don't know why. The Mindy Project. Its wacky, and cracks me up.

I guess that's about it. Between commuting and getting home at 6-7pm every night and having an almost 2 year old, that's about my life right now.

PS. Should the lockout end, and hockey returns, I'm still watching Mindy Kalings show. Straight up honesty right there..
I've been watching that new show Nashville (Hayden ). Who needs hockey?

Last edited by PWJunior: 10-15-2012 at 10:38 AM. Reason: Not necessary
Twine Seeking Missle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2012, 10:37 AM
Islanderfan17

Playing a lot of the newer great video games that are out, focusing on College, working a little bit, and doing a lot of Crossfit and playing a lot of Dek hockey (My rec league team has started practicing outside of our games).

I've been having a lot of fun lately, but I know that Christmas time without Hockey just won't be the same. I really hope the lockout is resolved by December.

Islanderfan17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2012, 11:07 AM
Strummergas

Focusing more on music, as if it didn't consume enough of my time already!

Strummergas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2012, 11:08 AM
SLAPSHOT723
Big Brock

Playing NHL 13 and studying

SLAPSHOT723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2012, 12:33 PM
PROMputt
God,Family,Islanders

vCash: 450
Thank god for Thursday night NFL action to help break up the week.

PROMputt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2012, 12:44 PM
Isles72

I recorded around 18 episodes of the ''walking dead'' over the weekend when AMC had a marathon of seasons 1-2.

chip away at watching that

Isles72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2012, 01:15 PM
Richie Daggers Crime
Fistie Daggers Crime

Borderlands 2.

Richie Daggers Crime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2012, 01:34 PM
IceAce
HEY BUD, LETS PARTY!

vCash: 300
working on my mask made of human skin....

uhhh I mean ummm knitting....

IceAce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2012, 01:38 PM
RustedFox
ECHL ** NHL.

I'm playing golf. I live in Florida, so winter is 65 degrees here.

I miss hockey so much, though. I want this lockout to end yesterday.

RustedFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2012, 02:08 PM
scott99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isles72 View Post
I recorded around 18 episodes of the ''walking dead'' over the weekend when AMC had a marathon of seasons 1-2.

chip away at watching that
Incredible series. Watched episode 1 of Season 3 last night, it was amazing. last winter, when I had my Kindle Fire, I downloaded the first 8 episodes of season 2 to it, because I missed it. Watching on trains is not advised, very easy to miss your stop, AND to scare other people by jumping when you get scared, lol. Right now, I'm in zombie heaven, as I watch The Walking Dead on Sunday Nights, and just got Resident Evil 6 for my birthday.

Also playing NHL 13 (I suck big time), started a season, lost 4-3 to Pittsburgh after tying it up in the 3rd period 3-3 (2 SH Goals on the same Pitt PP !). Andy Mac actually scored the SH goal to tie the game in the 3rd peiod. IF you've been playing this game, the computer opponent sure has come a long way since the old days. An amazing tic-tac-toe goal by the computer for the game winner. I'm playing on rookie level, and being outshot like 30-15 every game.

scott99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2012, 02:10 PM
scott99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie Daggers Crime View Post
Borderlands 2.
Heard that is an amazing game, may be my next purchase.

Old
10-15-2012, 03:27 PM
Twine Seeking Missle
Go monkey go!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie Daggers Crime View Post
Borderlands 2.
I keep telling myself I am going to try out that game. I know it sounds dumb but I don't like the art direction looking all cartoonish. That's what has put me off but everyone keeps saying how good it is.

In the meantime though... tons of games coming out or just recently out that I have been/will be playing.

NHL 13 (yea, I know)
FIFA 13 (addicted to career mode)

In the next few weeks... Medal of Honor Warfighter, COD Black Ops 2, Halo 4, Forza Horizon. Looks like I need to take a few weeks off work.

Twine Seeking Missle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2012, 03:51 PM
Dutch Frost
Everything is Fine!!

vCash: 1130
Trying to find a voodoo priest to remove the Hex that was placed on the New York Yankees. I have never seen anything like this is my life!!!

Dutch Frost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2012, 03:53 PM
Steve55

MLB Playoffs and WWE

Steve55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2012, 03:57 PM
Islanderfan17

Pokemon BW2 anyone?

Forever stuck in my childhood

Islanderfan17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2012, 04:08 PM
SLAPSHOT723
Big Brock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islanderfan17 View Post
Pokemon BW2 anyone?

I need to get white version. They're not nearly as cool as the originals though, some are really lame.

SLAPSHOT723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2012, 04:49 PM
Sideshow Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islanderfan17 View Post
Pokemon BW2 anyone?

That would be my 9 year old-- but it was like pulling teeth to get him to watch to begin with.

I'm watching NCIS reruns and shawshank redemption for the 247th time whenever it's on.

Sideshow Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2012, 05:26 PM
Isles Junkie

I'm actually having more than a passing interest in the Jets & Giants. I guess I'm rooting more for the Giants because my father is a Giants fan & my ex brother in law who was a real jerk to my sis is a jets fan. But it's still nice to see both NY teams do well. It's also very strange following a team that has their collective **** together with the Giants. Between the Mets & Isles, I don't know how to root for a coherent franchise.

Isles Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2012, 06:21 PM
scott99

Any of you guys have old hockey games to hold you over until/if the lockout ends ? I still have the Pittsburgh massacre from 2 years ago (one of my faves), Also from the same year when we crushed the Rangers 6-2 (Haley destroys Avery). I have from last October Isles beat the Rangers 5-3, Tavares hat trick (all those games on my DVR). Of course I have the Islanders 10 greatest game DVD set. I also have some World Junior Championship games from 2010 on, on my DVR. I have Switzerland upsetting Russia (the legendary Niņo Niederreiter game), USA defeating Canada in the same World Junior Championship, the Gold Medal game. I have The Ultimate Gretzky DVD set as well. What about you guys and gals ?

Old
10-15-2012, 08:55 PM
VT Isles Fan

I have plenty of hockey to keep me busy-- my oldest is on a travel team that has been playing since the end of August, and my little guy started his season yesterday.

If the lockout continues, maybe Milbury will be in attendance when we play his son's team in a couple of weeks.

VT Isles Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2012, 10:02 PM
88th Precinct
Pitchfork Acquired

Quote:
Originally Posted by VT Isles Fan View Post
I have plenty of hockey to keep me busy-- my oldest is on a travel team that has been playing since the end of August, and my little guy started his season yesterday.

If the lockout continues, maybe Milbury will be in attendance when we play his son's team in a couple of weeks.
Bring an extra shoe for him.

I'm getting into European hockey more to get my fix. Also picking up German as a third second language since all the French and Spanish I've learned has been forgotten, having not used it enough. I recently got picked up by an electronic music label/collective based in Paderborn, Germany and will be leaving from Austin for Berlin in a few weeks to fully destroy any hopes my poor mother ever had of her son turning out anything near 'normal.'

I just wish I felt less trepidation for attempting to 'live the dream,' as they say.

88th Precinct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2012, 11:02 PM
Augscura

P90x (week 4 currently) and starcraft 2 when I can, also picked up NHL 13

Augscura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2012, 04:15 AM
ichabod13

im slapping more college kids around this year than i did last year. for some strange reason, they dont want to walk around to the front gate. ( i live in a gated community that has a main gate with a security gaurd on the north end of the property and a pedestrian gate on the south end of the property for loyola kids that live here and actually have a key for the gate ) for them to walk around to the main gate would only take about ten minutes. but no.....they insist on climbing over the fence that runs along the south end. and thats where they fall into my hands. and the funny thing is..........ive never seen the same kid climb over my fence a second time.
one of the girls that live in the apartment next to mine told me that the loyola boys ( and they are boys........20 years old but still about 15 years away from being men ) refer to me as "the hound" or "dog" or "bronn".....two bad assed ******** from a show called "game of thrones".
if they view me as either one of those characters, thats fine with me man........and ill play that role right up to the point where ill get locked up for doing it. as soon as i get to that point, ill slow down. i sure as **** aint going to jail for slapping some obnoxious assed loyola kid.

im also watching a lot of old movies. most of which i havent seen in ten or so years. none of the new movies really interest me. too much computer generated ******** for me.

and im doing a lot of baking. and cooking for that matter. today i made my first attempt at baking oatmeal cookies. pretty easy to make right? yeah, well theyre easier to **** up!!! but i like clowning around in the kitchen so its all cool. experiments with foods and seasonings can either make you look like the most brilliant star in the sky or it can make you look like an absolute idiot. i thank all the gods that most of my experiments turn out pretty damned well!!!! if you want to exchange recipes, just let me know. i promise you, you will love my "chain gang stew".

ichabod13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2012, 07:42 AM
Bexlyspeed

Ive been playng a bit more Roller Hockey and watching some of my old classic Isles games on DVD. and of course a lot of Soccer since the qualifiers are going on.

anyone have games to trade?

Bexlyspeed is offline   Reply With Quote