HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > The Lounge
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Lounge "...Where the parking lot of the Igloo meets the concourse of the Nassau County Coliseum and the bathroom line of the Skyreach..." - Wickedbsfan

HF Boards' Healthy Body Transformation Thread - Part 4

Closed Thread

Old
10-11-2012, 07:10 PM
RayP

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unaffiliated View Post
My bad, was talking to YakuBOT, because he said he had trouble with motivation.

I've never done jump squats before, but I've done throw-squats (if that's even a thing) with a medicine ball as part of squat day. Like, you throw the ball at the end of your upward drive (and catch it when it comes down).
Oh, hah.

I love jump squats, so much more fun IMO. Give them a try. After a full leg workout, I'll go back and do those till I literally can't get an inch off the ground... absolutely killer.

Old
10-12-2012, 12:53 AM
Unaffiliated

Has anyone watched Kai Greene's Day in the Life video? A friend of mine posted it to me; it's freaking awesome.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1pjY1mDAa8 part 1

Old
10-12-2012, 03:58 PM
DG

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveskirtun View Post
Thanks, guys.

I started developing a routine about 2 years ago, no less than an hour of cardio a day, moderate weight training, and what started out as a very poorly planned diet (I was consuming 800 calories a day, maximum). I'm 5 ft 8 in, and my weight peaked above 320lbs. I have no idea how much heavier I got, because I stopped weighing in a year before I started running because I hated myself.

I have only a few good before pics because I hated having my picture taken (for obvious reasons), but I have to get them from my mother. This is the best I can do right now:

2008, about 310lbs.

Last summer, shortly after getting under the 200lb. mark in over a decade.

Last Christmas, around 170lbs.

Through yesterdays picture, where I stand now at 165lbs. Went from a 42 inch waist, to a 29.
Still working at it everyday, but little things like that really keep me inspired and motivated.
MAD PROPS.

Good for you. These are some truly awesome, inspiring results.

Old
10-12-2012, 05:25 PM
Chicago Made Punk
You're Gonna Go Far

vCash: 446
Thoughts about doing a body cleanse through fasting? Been doing some reading about this lately and curious about it.

Old
10-15-2012, 01:13 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

GSP Rushfit, day 1. Good stuff. Woke my ass up an hour earlier than normal and got to work, was sweating like a beast.

Old
10-15-2012, 01:18 PM
RayP

How do you guys track your workouts? I need to start documenting them, and comparing them from week to week. Right now I don't record them in anyway at all...

I just downloaded the BodyBuilding.com app, but the reviews are less than stellar.

Old
10-15-2012, 01:26 PM
blue425

Any spreadsheet should work. I use Google docs/drive or whatever they call it now.

Old
10-15-2012, 01:29 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayP View Post
How do you guys track your workouts? I need to start documenting them, and comparing them from week to week. Right now I don't record them in anyway at all...

I just downloaded the BodyBuilding.com app, but the reviews are less than stellar.
It's easy enough to just make a standard spreadsheet in excel.

HF's tables aren't the best, but you can probably just do something like this:

ExerciseWeek 1 Week 2
Weight x Reps Weight x Reps
Barbell Squats 10 x 280 10 x 290
10 x 300 10 x 310
4 x 320 3 x 330

Something like that would probably get the job done.

Then you can just make a calendar to track what days you're doing each workout.

Last edited by WhipNash27: 10-15-2012 at 01:36 PM.
Old
10-15-2012, 01:30 PM
Ceremony
Transcendence

vCash: 499
I use a normal spreadsheet for my running times.

Speaking of running... I haven't been out in what will be 10 days when I start tomorrow again... is there any specific way I should approach this or just get my head down and plow through it?

ďItís embarrassing. Iím embarrassed to be here right now. Itís not even funny. And itís just embarrassing, the way we, you know, the energy we have in the room and the way we approach practices and the way we approach this game. Itís not how youíre going to win any games in this league." - Jean-Sebastien Giguere, April 8 2013
Old
10-15-2012, 01:32 PM
RayP

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipNash27 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue425 View Post
Any spreadsheet should work. I use Google docs/drive or whatever they call it now.
I'm hoping to find something a little more advanced, if possible...

Old
10-15-2012, 01:36 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Quote:
I'm hoping to find something a little more advanced, if possible...
What exactly are you looking to do?

Old
10-15-2012, 01:39 PM
RayP

Quote:
What exactly are you looking to do?
My running tracker that I found online has all sorts of charts and stuff that are connected through formulas, and has tabs that break down your gains/losses by the week, month, 1/4 year, etc in their own page... among a bunch of other stuff. It was all from a free template I found online a while ago... didn't know if anyone had anything similar that they have come across. Unfortunately, there isn't a way to rename it to use it for weight purposes.

Old
10-15-2012, 01:43 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Quote:
My running tracker that I found online has all sorts of charts and stuff that are connected through formulas, and has tabs that break down your gains/losses by the week, month, 1/4 year, etc in their own page... among a bunch of other stuff. It was all from a free template I found online a while ago... didn't know if anyone had anything similar that they have come across. Unfortunately, there isn't a way to rename it to use it for weight purposes.
Sounds like something that could be done in excel. Unfortunately, I don't have hours to spend creating a spreadsheet for weight lifting, though it doesn't seem insanely difficult to make if you spend enough time in excel and googling formulas for things that you may not know how to do.

Old
10-15-2012, 01:54 PM
RayP

Quote:
Sounds like something that could be done in excel. Unfortunately, I don't have hours to spend creating a spreadsheet for weight lifting, though it doesn't seem insanely difficult to make if you spend enough time in excel and googling formulas for things that you may not know how to do.
It definitely can, I'm just an idiot personally when it comes to formulas and Excel... I've been browsing through the BB.com app, it seems pretty in depth. It's not like I've been tracking my workouts as is, so going to roll with this at first and see how it goes. It asks for your weight, energy level, etc when you start to log your workout.

Old
10-15-2012, 02:17 PM
Human
cynic

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveskirtun View Post
Down 150+lbs.
I don't know how you started, never really checked these threads, but that is absolutely awesome, man. congrats, especially for the mindset.

I've been at 200 pounds and kind of fluffy sometimes around the summer of 2008. I'm 6'0. I stopped eating meat(something I really wanted hard to do, mainly for other considerations) and I started running a lot(on treadmills, I used to live in Vegas back then). I am not really a weight lifting guy, most of my good friends home in Europe are, but for some reason it bores me to death. I used to do construction working, and running like up to 8-9 miles like 5-6 days/week. I ended up somewhere around 158 pounds some months later. it really works if you want it hard enough, no rocket science...

Old
10-15-2012, 03:00 PM
Unaffiliated

I have an excel spreadsheet I drew up real quick on my laptop that I use.

It only tracks squats, deads, bench, military, and barbell row. I set it up so that you enter your weight, reps, and the date, and it calculates your equivalent one rep max.

Then on a different sheet it shows current bests for all 5 lifts, when the PR was achieved, and a progress graph (1RM equivalent vs date) for each one.

Obviously 1RM equivalent isn't exactly the ideal metric (since the formula is only approximate), but it's just a really basic tool.

Old
10-15-2012, 03:02 PM
RayP

Quote:
I have an excel spreadsheet I drew up real quick on my laptop that I use.

It only tracks squats, deads, bench, military, and barbell row. I set it up so that you enter your weight, reps, and the date, and it calculates your equivalent one rep max.

Then on a different sheet it shows current bests for all 5 lifts, when the PR was achieved, and a progress graph (1RM equivalent vs date) for each one.

Obviously 1RM equivalent isn't exactly the ideal metric, but it's just a really basic tool.

Yeah, I've already changed my mind and not even going to use that app... after sifting further through it, just going to be too much of a pain to use while in the gym. Just wrote out most of what I plan on doing tonight, and going to jot the sets/reps after I do them. Then when I get home put them in a basic Excel sheet to track.

Old
10-15-2012, 03:07 PM
Unaffiliated

Quote:
Yeah, I've already changed my mind and not even going to use that app... after sifting further through it, just going to be too much of a pain to use while in the gym. Just wrote out most of what I plan on doing tonight, and going to jot the sets/reps after I do them. Then when I get home put them in a basic Excel sheet to track.
I can post my workbook if you (or anyone else) wants to use it. If you want to track more than 5 lifts though you'll need to tell me.

If you always do the same number of reps per set it's almost useless, though

Old
10-15-2012, 03:10 PM
RayP

Quote:
I can post my workbook if you (or anyone else) wants to use it. If you want to track more than 5 lifts though you'll need to tell me.

If you always do the same number of reps per set it's almost useless, though
Yeah, would love to see it.

And the ones I'll specifically be tracking hopefully won't be around the same. Today I'm doing chest/core/triceps. I have about 5 versions of push ups I'll be doing, some arm circles with the ropes, standing cable bench, some tricep/plank exercises... and might toss in a back extension or two. None of it is with any actual weights, though, so will be good to see how many of X type of pushup I can do today, and compare it a month from now... or even a week.

Old
10-15-2012, 04:27 PM
Unaffiliated

Will post after work

Old
10-15-2012, 04:49 PM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

Send a message via AIM to ColePens
Dave.. that is awesome man. Congratulations. It's never easy.... but you kept going. Great stuff, man.

Old
10-15-2012, 07:25 PM
Unaffiliated

Quote:
Yeah, would love to see it.

And the ones I'll specifically be tracking hopefully won't be around the same. Today I'm doing chest/core/triceps. I have about 5 versions of push ups I'll be doing, some arm circles with the ropes, standing cable bench, some tricep/plank exercises... and might toss in a back extension or two. None of it is with any actual weights, though, so will be good to see how many of X type of pushup I can do today, and compare it a month from now... or even a week.
See if anyone can get any use out of this thing.

You can probably find something better elsewhere; this was partly me training myself on excel.
Attached Files
File Type: xlsx Major Lifts - Empty.xlsx‎ (29.9 KB, 8 views)

Old
10-15-2012, 07:55 PM
RayP

Quote:
See if anyone can get any use out of this thing.

You can probably find something better elsewhere; this was partly me training myself on excel.
Thanks for sharing... I'll definitely save that, but currently I'm not doing a lot of those lifts, so it doesn't help much.

Quote:

HF's tables aren't the best, but you can probably just do something like this:

ExerciseWeek 1 Week 2
Weight x Reps Weight x Reps
Barbell Squats 10 x 280 10 x 290
10 x 300 10 x 310
4 x 320 3 x 330

Something like that would probably get the job done.

Then you can just make a calendar to track what days you're doing each workout.
What I end up making will likely be similar to that, just on Excel... Also going to have to figure out a better way to test myself to best gauge this stuff. Regardless, great workout today and that is really all that matters.

Old
10-15-2012, 08:04 PM
Fire Lindy
Trust the System

Bulking was tough the first two weeks, felt like I was gonna barf sometimes..but I'd definitely adjusted and now I just feel like constantly eating

Got 10 more lbs to go to 190 then gonna work on cutting the fat I've gained. My gym just built a new crossfit section and I think I might start trying out some sessions once I get to my goal, I figure it will help with the fat loss. Anyone ever mess around with crossfit?

Old
10-15-2012, 09:56 PM
Unaffiliated

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockFlagAndEagle View Post
Bulking was tough the first two weeks, felt like I was gonna barf sometimes..but I'd definitely adjusted and now I just feel like constantly eating

Got 10 more lbs to go to 190 then gonna work on cutting the fat I've gained. My gym just built a new crossfit section and I think I might start trying out some sessions once I get to my goal, I figure it will help with the fat loss. Anyone ever mess around with crossfit?
Ask TheDayvanCowboy, he loves crossfit

Closed Thread