HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012-13 Lockout Discussion Part III (First 2 weeks of season cancelled)

Closed Thread

Old
10-15-2012, 01:37 PM
KreiMeARiver*
Have Confidence

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
It's mind boggling that neither side is really aware of the damage being done to their product. I'm a huge hockey fan (obviously since I spend time on a hockey message board). But honestly, I don't find myself really missing it. I'm more put off by the actions of both sides. Hockey is a niche sport — but with passionate fans. If they start losing those fans, then what?
I couldn't agree more. My disdain for the league right now>my love of hockey.

This dispute is really not unlike our current political system. The ideologies of a particular side take precedence over the good of the country, or in this case, sport. It's a joke.

Old
10-15-2012, 01:39 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
That's the point. I know neither side cares about the fans. But both sides should care about their product and their brand. Because those things result in what they ultimately care about: money.
Its very possible that both sides anticipate that these fans are loyal to a fault - suckers, for lack of a better word.

Perhaps Fehr and Bettman know these folks will be right back in their seats with their shiny new jerseys whenever the league starts operating again.

Old
10-15-2012, 01:41 PM
NyRangers88
Section 208 Row 15

Send a message via AIM to NyRangers88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Its very possible that both sides anticipate that these fans are loyal to a fault - suckers, for lack of a better word.

Perhaps Fehr and Bettman know these folks will be right back in their seats with their shiny new jerseys whenever the league starts operating again.
I'll be honest, I don't think thats going to happen. They are going to lose ALOT of fans this time around.

And even though I'll be back in my seat (because I love hockey too much), I will not spend additional money on jerseys, merchandise, concessions, or other NHL products for a very long time.

10-15-2012, 01:44 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers88 View Post
I'll be honest, I don't think thats going to happen. They are going to lose ALOT of fans this time around.

And even though I'll be back in my seat (because I love hockey too much), I will not spend additional money on jerseys, merchandise, concessions, or other NHL products for a very long time.
doubt it.

not in the large markets anyway.

Old
10-15-2012, 01:44 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by haohmaru View Post
Exactly how I feel. Furthermore, at this point I'm kind of hoping the season does get cancelled so I don't have read about this bull---- every damned day. Tired of hearing how two sides can't agree how to cut up a 3.3 billion dollar pie that's supported by schleps like us.
Be careful what you wish for. You know if the season is canceled we're winning the lottery and Columbus will be thrilled to use the first overall pick to select Nathan MacKinnon or whoever.

Old
10-15-2012, 01:45 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:

I hope so.

Both sides deserve to lose far more revenue than what they're currently arguing over.

I havent spent money on those things since before the last lockout. Im not so sure many more people will join that worthwhile crusade. Or, better yet, they wont join it for long enough.

I dont have to be at the game to love hockey - especially considering the league treats its fans like **** -- you might as well come dressed as a $100 bill

Old
10-15-2012, 01:46 PM
KreiMeARiver*
Have Confidence

Quote:

I haven't even bought NHL 13. I'm sickened by the whole thing, and I just don't want anything to do with the league, at this point.

Old
10-15-2012, 02:27 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Sent: Oct 15, 2012 2:16p

Starting today, all NHL players who played last season, will receive their escrow check.

sent via Twitter for BlackBerry®
On Twitter: http://twitter.com/RenLavoieRDS/stat...07863505223680

Old
10-15-2012, 02:30 PM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
There are many other sports in the US besides the NHL. I haven't missed the NHL at all. I love the NHL and the Rangers but I'm sick of the NHL's labor drama. Labor fatigue. The same old garbage every time. Maybe when the Yankees get bounced from the playoffs this week,I will worry about the NHL. The NFL has a game every Thursday night so that's one less night to worry about no hockey. Between MLB playoffs and the NFL three nights per week,NHL hasn't been missed. The NHL will cancel another group of games this week. Probably the games between October 26-November 8. How many games has the NHL missed in all of their lockouts? Its such a joke.
I can legitimately say this is the first time I have watched the MLB playoffs since 2003-04. NFL has weekday games now too - and fantasy football (and with it general league interest) is at an all time high.There is more NCAA hockey on TV than ever with NBCSports and the FCS channels. There are more AHL/OHL live streams out there than ever before.

And the NHL is too stupid, shortsighted, or overconfident (perhaps all three) to realize this and the damage it can cause.

10-15-2012, 02:33 PM
Greg02

Quote:
There are many other sports in the US besides the NHL. I haven't missed the NHL at all. I love the NHL and the Rangers but I'm sick of the NHL's labor drama. Labor fatigue. The same old garbage every time. Maybe when the Yankees get bounced from the playoffs this week,I will worry about the NHL. The NFL has a game every Thursday night so that's one less night to worry about no hockey. Between MLB playoffs and the NFL three nights per week,NHL hasn't been missed. The NHL will cancel another group of games this week. Probably the games between October 26-November 8. How many games has the NHL missed in all of their lockouts? Its such a joke.
I always find your personal posts fairly amusing because I read all your posts like they're news reports. Of course, most of the time they actually are...

Old
10-15-2012, 02:33 PM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno View Post
doubt it.

not in the large markets anyway.
Not a traditional "large market" but I could see LA's momentum taking a huge hit. Which would truly be a shame.

Old
10-15-2012, 02:48 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

BroadStBull 2:40pm via TweetDeck
Bill Daly hints that the #NHL may make the next offer. The NHL has been waiting for the #NHLPA to make a counter-offer for about a mo.

BroadStBull 2:41pm via TweetDeck
The fact the #NHL may make another offer is a positive that SOMEONE is about to step up in this tug of war.

Old
10-15-2012, 02:50 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

The first pay day was supposed to be today. The escrow check is essentially their money from last season. That gives them some spending $. Its about 8% of their salary in 11-12.

Old
10-15-2012, 02:51 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Sent: Oct 15, 2012 2:40p

Bill Daly hints that the #NHL may make the next offer. The NHL has been waiting for the #NHLPA to make a counter-offer for about a mo.

sent via TweetDeck
On Twitter: http://twitter.com/BroadStBull/statu...13757215358976

Old
10-15-2012, 02:52 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Sent: Oct 15, 2012 2:41p

The fact the #NHL may make another offer is a positive that SOMEONE is about to step up in this tug of war.

sent via TweetDeck
On Twitter: http://twitter.com/BroadStBull/statu...14175798530050

Old
10-15-2012, 02:52 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:

That's what both sides are counting on. And no offense, but by going right back to your seats, to me at least, sends a message that you condone what's happening right now.

10-15-2012, 02:54 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

What happened? The moderate and some the big market guys ripped Bettman and Daly a new one?

Old
10-15-2012, 03:15 PM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by HatTrick Swayze View Post
And the NHL is too stupid, shortsighted, or overconfident (perhaps all three) to realize this and the damage it can cause.
Oh, it is all three. Gross stupidity is on both parts, Bettman suffers from overconfidence and the owners cannot see the forest throug the trees.

Old
10-15-2012, 03:15 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
The NHLPA has not countered the owners’ last proposal. The league has repeatedly said it wants the players’ union to make the next move.

If the players’ union doesn’t make a counter-offer, will the NHL continue to sit back and wait, or would it make another proposal to spur some action?

"We obviously feel there is an urgency to get to an agreement and to save our season,” Daly said in an e-mail to The Inquirer. “So while not ideal, we will have to keep all options open on how to best proceed.”

That sounds as if the NHL is growing tired of waiting around for the NHLPA.

Read more: http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/i...#ixzz29OeqBDPq
Watch sports videos you won't find anywhere else
Is that the extent of Carchidi's information that the NHL may make the next proposal? Not sure that says "the league will bring a new proposal to the table on Tuesday" to me...

(But, hey, here's hoping!)

Old
10-15-2012, 03:20 PM
Thirty One
portnor, pls

vCash: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post
Is that the extent of Carchidi's information that the NHL may make the next proposal? Not sure that says "the league will bring a new proposal to the table on Tuesday" to me...

(But, hey, here's hoping!)
Who said Tuesday?

Old
10-15-2012, 03:20 PM
NYRFAN218
Mac Truck

Quote:
That's what both sides are counting on. And no offense, but by going right back to your seats, to me at least, sends a message that you condone what's happening right now.
I understand what you're saying but with the Rangers being a Cup contender and the population of the NYC metro area, there will be someone else ready to scoop up your tickets if you choose to give them up. There won't be a mass exodus of STH in the major markets, it's the smaller markets and non playoff teams that are going to get killed because those people can just jump back on board when the team is good again.

10-15-2012, 03:25 PM
egelband

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabroni1994 View Post
The next cancellation might not be a two week block.

"@DarrenDreger: Expect much bigger block of regular season games will be postponed\cancelled this week. Owners will start using dates to book empty venues."

"@ChrisBottaNHL: NHL went easy with soft first cancellation of games. Had no impact. League will go big this week."
The best bands book their shows six weeks out...

Old
10-15-2012, 03:30 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRFAN218 View Post
I understand what you're saying but with the Rangers being a Cup contender and the population of the NYC metro area, there will be someone else ready to scoop up your tickets if you choose to give them up. There won't be a mass exodus of STH in the major markets, it's the smaller markets and non playoff teams that are going to get killed because those people can just jump back on board when the team is good again.
If it's your money, it's your message. I haven't been to a game since the last lockout. I'm not under the illusion that it makes a lick of difference. I do have an issue with giving my money to the millionaires and billionaires who want to bicker over more money than I'll ever see.

Last edited by SingnBluesOnBroadway: 10-15-2012 at 04:09 PM.
Old
10-15-2012, 03:30 PM
KreiMeARiver*
Have Confidence

Quote:
What happened? The moderate and some the big market guys ripped Bettman and Daly a new one?
They are getting pressure from politicians, also.

http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/84...nd-nhl-lockout

I know, specifically, US Senators Bob Menendez and Frank Lautenberg (both D from NJ) sent letters to the NHL and NHLPA urging them to strike a deal, citing the economic impact.

Anyone know of any other instances like this?

Old
10-15-2012, 03:33 PM
Thirty One
portnor, pls

vCash: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by egelband View Post
The best bands book their shows six weeks out...

Closed Thread