HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

AHL Prospect Discussion Thread

Old
10-14-2012, 01:22 PM
tsujimoto74

vCash: 500
Adam has been pretty unspectacular. Pysyk, Tropp, McNabb, Foligno, and Girgensons have all been better for the Amerks, IMO.

Pysyk has been entirely as advertised: very poised with the puck, good first pass, smooth skater, and just all-around smart player.
McNabb's skating looks a bit improved to me (though that could just be because playing vs AHLers vs NHLers) and he's otherwise picked up where he left off last year, playing very physically/aggressively, which is something the Sabres could definitely still use more of in their line-up.
Girgensons was fairly invisible his first game, but he's got a real quick learning curve, apparently, because he was one of Rochester's better forwards yesterday. Created a few chances (though he ruined his best one by over-handling the puck) and had a couple very nice defensive plays. And also this kid can hit.
Tropp had 2 goals the first game, but then got hit along the boards and hurt his leg. Really stinks because his speed and physicality are things a line with Adam and Hodgson really needs.
Foligno's been Foligno, ie: hitting, crashing the net, being awesome. 3 points so far in 2 games.

ETA: As far as the Toronto players went, Gardiner was absolutely fantastic. His skating is so quick and effortless. I think he was the best player on the ice for either team yesterday. His ability to rush the puck and set up plays really stood out.
Kadri looked very good as well. The kid definitely has skills.

Last edited by tsujimoto74: 10-14-2012 at 01:37 PM.
tsujimoto74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2012, 01:24 PM
jfb392

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Rocket View Post
Should mention hands down Zemgus Girgensons was hands down the best prospect for sabres IMO. Mark Pysyk also made some good moves for them.
Marcus Foligno was impressive.
I thought Girgensons looked awkward and that it was very clear that the already slow AHL game was too fast for him at this point.
He was playing like he was always hearing footsteps.

As for Adam, he was his usual self.
Can't handle the puck to save his life.

jfb392 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2012, 01:25 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helo View Post
Maybe Z will soon be promoted from 3d to 2nd line ?
He should be, but he's still learning, for a guy who has played two games. I am damn impressed. He will slowly get there, he sometimes looks a bit over confident as well IMO or rather lost and unsure, the rush towards our offensive side was a case of that. So until he gets those jitters off it might be the case for him to be in the third for a bit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kishire View Post
Yeah, they're not a good combination, two players whose skating is questionable, they need a player who can go and dig out the pucks for them. Tropp getting injured is not cool.
Foligno should stay there IMO. He seemed just fine with Hodgson. I don't know much about tropp so I can't comment but is his game like?
Quote:
Originally Posted by That View Post
For the Bulldogs/Griffins game last night:

Bulldogs:
- Michael Bournival was awesome. Very fast and showed some good skill as well. He was going 110% every shift.
- Brendan Gallagher went hard to the net every time he was on the ice. He was great.
- Steve Quailer surprised me. I really liked how fast of a skater he was and he's got some good hands too. Showed some smarts of Blake Geoffrion's goal.
- Nathan Beaulieu wasn't very noticeable, he had a few shots of the PP though.
- St Denis was the best player on the ice, very poised and very smart.
- Patrick Holland had some good moments. I like how he drove the net and he seemed much more willing to shoot than he was in junior.
- Greg Pateryn played a strong game. He's physical, but at the same time doesn't over do it. He was very poised on both sides of the ice.

Griffins:
- Brendan Smith played a solid game. I was expecting a bit more, but he still looked good out there.
- Gustav Nyquist had a poor game. He had a few nice dekes, but he turned the puck over and didn't seem very interested.
Wasn't Tinordi playing?

10-14-2012, 01:27 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfb392 View Post
I thought Girgensons looked awkward and that it was very clear that the already slow AHL game was too fast for him at this point.
He was playing like he was always hearing footsteps.

As for Adam, he was his usual self.
Can't handle the puck to save his life.
It's the guy's second AHL game. For a kid making the jump to AHL that quickly, I gotta praise him. He was awkward in the offensive position at times because of the rookie jitters I'd assume. However his composure for a rookie is something you gotta admire.

Leaf Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2012, 01:30 PM
TheNeutrality
Living out a lie

vCash: 1050
How is Nino doing? I only saw that he had 4 pts in 2 games, but was he playing well?

TheNeutrality is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2012, 01:32 PM
tsujimoto74

Quote:
He should be, but he's still learning, for a guy who has played two games. I am damn impressed. He will slowly get there, he sometimes looks a bit over confident as well IMO or rather lost and unsure, the rush towards our offensive side was a case of that. So until he gets those jitters off it might be the case for him to be in the third for a bit.

Foligno should stay there IMO. He seemed just fine with Hodgson. I don't know much about tropp so I can't comment but is his game like?

Wasn't Tinordi playing?
Tropp's a real good AHL player. IMO, he has a pretty good shot at sticking in the NHL, at least as a 3rd liner. Maybe in the top 6 as kind of a role player who digs out pucks for smaller/softer/more skilled forwards. He's speedy, aggressive, and decently skilled (at least at the AHL level of play). Not as big or tough as Foligno, though.

Old
10-14-2012, 02:25 PM
That

Quote:

Wasn't Tinordi playing?
Knew I was forgetting someone.

There's going to be rough patches with Tinordi, but I thought he played solid. He threw his weight around more than normal, which was nice. Looked very calm with the puck, took his time and made good decisions with it.

That is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2012, 03:36 PM
rk5n

Rangers/Islanders
(Whale/Sound Tigers)

JT Miller was one probably the only Whale player that was actually playing well. Krieder looked lost most of the game and he was near the puck, he would get beat and then retaliate. I think he was only penalized once, but he got away with a few more. Missiaen started in net. He had a few good saves, but mostly was let down by poor defense in the early 2nd period. Dylan McIlrath was scratched.

Overall, the Sound Tigers were the much better team. Travis Harmonic and Niederreiter were both dominant. I can't recall who started in goal, but they looked really solid for long stretches.

rk5n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2012, 03:43 PM
smitty10

For the Marlies so far Gardiner and Kadri have been very good. Holzer has been himself on defense.

Watching Lake Erie right now Barrie, Pickard and Pock are all standing out. Barrie looks about NHL ready and Pock is definitely able to play in the NHL.

smitty10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2012, 04:16 PM
KarlssonMarx
Be Red

Silfverberg had a big goal in his first AHL game last night against WBS. Good start for him, but he wasn't all that noticeable other than the goal.

Zibanejad looked pretty good. No points for him but he had 4 shots on goal and tons of energy

Lehner was a beast

KarlssonMarx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2012, 04:24 PM
wej20

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfieDavidThoreau View Post
Silfverberg had a big goal in his first AHL game last night against WBS. Good start for him, but he wasn't all that noticeable other than the goal.

Zibanejad looked pretty good. No points for him but he had 4 shots on goal and tons of energy

Lehner was a beast
Agreed, Silfverberg didn't do much apart from score, showed a few decent touches but that was about it, Zibanejad was better, played with good energy and speed. Lehner basically held the fort for Sens for the 1st Period and was stellar the whole game.

wej20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2012, 04:41 PM
Paul4587

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montecristo View Post

I'm interested in how emerson etem and justin schultz has looked early on
Etem has shown a few flashes of brilliance but for the most part has been quiet out there. He's very fast but as expected there is going to be an adjustment period because he can't blow past defenders as easily as he could in juniors.

Paul4587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2012, 04:46 PM
HockeyThoughts
Delivering The Truth

vCash: 1550
Quote:
For the Leafs/Marlies last night:

Gardiner was dominant, was a man among boys it seemed. Ended the night with 2 points I believe? 1 Goal, 1 Assist.
Kadri was explosive, was making plays everywhere, with a little more time to gel he should be getting a good amount of points. Ended the night with 1 assist. Arguably our best forward but credit goes to Ryan Hamilton who potted two on the powerplay.
Joe Colborne was great tonight, he slowed down as the game progressed though, but you can see that he is much healthier and more effective now seeing his wrist is healed. He made a sweet pass on the powerplay for a goal our Captain.
Blacker made several mistakes but Eakins decided to rely on him and gave him heavy minutes.
Mckegg was much better than I was expecting from him, he was more solid defensively and seemed energetic, offensively he couldn't get anything going though.
Ashton had the wheels last night, started out slow but started to rush to the net quite a bit, I hope he brings out his game offensively more.
Holzer was solid for us quietly and steadily as usual.
Leo Komarov lives up to his name, he is a pest. He was making things happen non stop last night and was buging people with hits. He has the skill it seems but I want to see more from him as the season progresses as he is with our second line at the moment.

Aside from Propsect, the return of Paul Ranger. He was definitely rusty but he did help out blacker twice when blacker fumbled so I am assuming with more game under him he will start to play more effectively.
To add to this..

Marlies:
Jake Gardiner was definitely the best player on either side last night. Just such a great skater and was making great (smart) plays on both sides of the ice. Very noticeable and he potted 1g-2pts for his efforts.

Nazem Kadri was the among the best forwards last night. He's got great hands and even better vision. Last night, he was literally a pure playmaker, passing all throughout the game. Has the ability to make tape-to-tape passes through heavy traffic and when it seems impossible. Really would have liked to see him take some shots though.. He was also pretty engaged as he had a little scrum with Girgensons.(who didn't look out of place for a 18yr old kid who was playing in the USHL last season)

Jesse Blacker just seemed to lack defensive awareness.. Made several gaffs with the puck and would often pinch before the transition should have been underway. Played a lot of minutes and for someone I was looking forward to watching, I came away pretty disappointed.

Leo Komarov came exactly as advertised. Was agitating through physicality. He was finishing his checks on every play and really seemed to be having a good time in his first real NA game.

Ben Scrivens cannot handle the puck..Whatsoever. Otherwise he was solid and definitely held us in it as the American's attack got progressively stronger throughout the game.

Americans:
Marcus Foligno was really effective. Super physical, and scored a goal.

Cody Hodgson, gotta say, for an NHL player Hodgson was really, really invisible. Made one decent pass for his assist but otherwise, for someone with pretty extensive NHL and AHL expierence he really didn't seem to know what was going on. Same goes with Luke Adam who you would have never guessed is on the cusp of becoming an NHL regular.

Brayden McNabb was pretty steady as well.

Overall, was a good game. Really chippy from the get-go and featured the Marlies offensively dominating for long stretches of time. The refereeing was pretty suspect, something like 16 minors were handed out throughout the game which turned it into a special teams battle. Also 2 called off goals with little to no explanation to the live crowd that surely seemed like good-goals to us.

HockeyThoughts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2012, 04:46 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

vCash: 1379
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul4587 View Post
Etem has shown a few flashes of brilliance but for the most part has been quiet out there. He's very fast but as expected there is going to be an adjustment period because he can't blow past defenders as easily as he could in juniors.
Yeah, I must say Etem didn't impress me much in the first two games. Surely it's because he's adjusting to a higher level of hockey, but he was for the most part invisible. He had a couple moments where he looked elite, but only a couple, and he got absolutely rocked by Pelech. He's gotta learn to keep his head up.

TheJuxtaposer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2012, 04:48 PM
ThatGuy22

I didn't catch the first Aero's game, but post game reports indicate that the skill was evident in all the new prospects, but the chemistry wasn't there yet. I suppose thats bound to happen with 8 prospects coming from different leagues/playing styles.

They are playing again right now and lead San Antonio 1-0 on a PPG scored by Coyle, assisted by Granlund and Zucker. Im guessing its not the last time we will see a stat line like that.

ThatGuy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2012, 06:03 PM
Jester9881

Quote:
Originally Posted by rk5n View Post
Rangers/Islanders
(Whale/Sound Tigers)

JT Miller was one probably the only Whale player that was actually playing well. Krieder looked lost most of the game and he was near the puck, he would get beat and then retaliate. I think he was only penalized once, but he got away with a few more. Missiaen started in net. He had a few good saves, but mostly was let down by poor defense in the early 2nd period. Dylan McIlrath was scratched.

Overall, the Sound Tigers were the much better team. Travis Harmonic and Niederreiter were both dominant. I can't recall who started in goal, but they looked really solid for long stretches.
Kevin Poulin.... he let in 4 goals, but I believe 2 of them were on a 5-3 PK. (Edit: Both goals were on seperate 5 on 3 PK's)

Kabanov also had a solid game (made a very nice pass on Nino's second goal), as well as Casey Cizikas (2 goals)

Nino has looked solid so far. He's driving to the net and getting into the dirty areas consistently. He's also a physical presence and even has made some nice passes.

Last edited by Jester9881: 10-14-2012 at 06:11 PM.
Jester9881 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2012, 06:34 PM
Exit Dose

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJuxtaposer View Post
Yeah, I must say Etem didn't impress me much in the first two games. Surely it's because he's adjusting to a higher level of hockey, but he was for the most part invisible. He had a couple moments where he looked elite, but only a couple, and he got absolutely rocked by Pelech. He's gotta learn to keep his head up.
It's the thing that was bothering me most when people were expecting him to jump straight to dominating the NHL - particularly when the occasional Duck fan would suggest that it made guys like Ryan expendable, or putting him way ahead of Palmieri. His performance in the W inspired confidence, but sometimes you have to look beyond the numbers and see how those numbers got there, and how easily those skills will transition to the next level. I think he'll get there, but the expectation of instant gratification was ridiculous.

Exit Dose is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2012, 07:06 PM
Rise from the Ashes
@JoelGabbayNHL

Send a message via MSN to Rise from the Ashes
I think the lockout was providence for Niedereiter's career lol.

Rise from the Ashes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2012, 07:09 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

vCash: 1379
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exit Dose View Post
It's the thing that was bothering me most when people were expecting him to jump straight to dominating the NHL - particularly when the occasional Duck fan would suggest that it made guys like Ryan expendable, or putting him way ahead of Palmieri. His performance in the W inspired confidence, but sometimes you have to look beyond the numbers and see how those numbers got there, and how easily those skills will transition to the next level. I think he'll get there, but the expectation of instant gratification was ridiculous.
Great points. Personally, I like Palmieri better than Etem, and I'm also high on Holland.

TheJuxtaposer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2012, 07:46 PM
CREW99AW

vCash: 1300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rise from the Ashes View Post
I think the lockout was providence for Niedereiter's career lol.
Based on Snow's post season comments, Morrow's post season comments and Staples articles, it sounds like Nino, who turned 20 in Sept., was Bridgeport bound even we hadn't gotten this lockout.

I expected Cizikas, Ullstrom, maybe Strome to be the young forwards sticking out of camp.

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2012, 07:49 PM
CREW99AW

vCash: 1300
Quote:
Originally Posted by rk5n View Post
Rangers/Islanders
(Whale/Sound Tigers)

I like the efforts the Sound Tigers have gotten from Kabanov, Brock Nelson, Nino, Cizikas and Cal De Haan.

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2012, 10:48 AM
klozge
Avs

I really like the group of Avs prospects playing for the Lake Erie Monsters. Barrie is looking fine on D and I'm still expecting Elliott and Gaunce (not the best start this season) to join the Avs D relatively soon.
Both goalies (Pickard and Aittokallio) are making good progress.
Malone, Heard, Olver (he has already shown that he's good enough for the NHL) and Sgarbossa (who's slowly adjusting to the AHL) are forwards I'm very excited about.

Pretty big group of promising prospects imo. Probably no superstar potential but possibly good depth players in the future.

klozge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2012, 02:19 PM
tsujimoto74

RW C. Tropp (RCH/BUF) out for the remainder of the season with ACL/MCL injuries.

Old
10-15-2012, 03:39 PM
Rolen
setoguchi sucks

How has Paul Ranger played for the Marlies?

Rolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2012, 03:49 PM
Scottrockztheworld*

Big hit & by the sounds of it had a very good game consistently winning battles along the board. Won a battle along the boards & set up a goal with a beauty pass in a Wolves highlight package from last night.

Scottrockztheworld* is offline   Reply With Quote