HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

NHL Fan Boycott

Closed Thread

Old
10-15-2012, 12:09 AM
Dave Sparky Allison

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyt911 View Post
I am soo annoyed that we the fans have no voice in this lockout. HF is the perfect venue to find a way to start something that really shows the NHL/NHLPA how we feel. HF has fans of every club in every city and IMO what we need is a show of force. Say a mass protest where someone in each NHL market takes the reigns and organizes a protest in their city all on the same day. Maybe the day of the Winter classic if no deal reached by then. Just look at what the "call" did for the NFL, I bet this would have a new CBA in a week. First off we need fans in each city to be willing to re-post in the individual team threads and from there a fan or coalition of fans in each city get the word out. I think doing it at each arena would be the easiest for organizational purposes. Also IT IS VERY IMPORTANT THIS CAN'T BE ABOUT WHAT SIDE YOU SUPPORT BUT ABOUT ENDING THE LOCKOUT!!
I think this is a great idea. Will it work? Maybe. Maybe not, but let's give it a shot. It can't hurt, and who doesn't love a good protest?

Old
10-15-2012, 11:29 AM
CarlWinslow
@hiphopsicles

Couldn't someone just open up a new hash tag on Twitter where fans could state who they are and what they will do if the NHL cancels another season?

If you got enough people on there just threatening to cancel their tickets, CI etc. and that tag trended, people would notice. The NHL is all about Twitter after all.

Old
10-15-2012, 12:09 PM
Grumpy Humphrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverHaireDevil View Post
The lot of you are on here bawling about no hockey, yet you seem to think its ok if a group of owners lose millions of dollars a year so you can be entertained.

Takes work to make that same money, wonder if you would be behind a lockout if roles were reversed and it was you losing millions a year so that I could be entertained.
Whose fault is it that they're losing money? And where does that money come from? You know as well as everyone involved with this that the fans are the very source of all the income the owners are losing, and that the fans are chomping at the bit to stuff the owners' pockets again if the owners would only let them.

And good luck convincing anybody on this board, people who presumably have to work their ***** off, like you suggest they do, just to get by, that millionaires and billionaires losing their money because they turned off the faucet deserve any kind of sympathy.

Old
10-15-2012, 02:27 PM
Clock

I just ran through this exercise myself and figured it might be interesting.

Called up my cable company (Time Warner Cable) and said I wanted to get a quote on how much it would cost to drop cable TV service altogether. Even though I was quite specific in stating that I didn't want to drop it today but wanted to get a quote on what it would cost if I DID do it, the rep on the line still asked me why I would want to cancel. Told him the lockout.

Point being - if you want to make your cable / satellite company squirm a bit without actually canceling, this might be a good option. If enough folks do it, who knows. Definitely felt good to tell someone, directly, that there services were being rendered useless with the lockout. Therapeutic, even.

Last edited by Clock: 10-15-2012 at 02:57 PM. Reason: Confusing typo
Old
10-15-2012, 02:35 PM
MrTemple

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clock View Post
I just ran through this exercise myself and figured it might be interesting.

Called up my cable company (Time Warner Cable) and said I wanted to get a quote on how much it would cost to drop cable TV service altogether. Even though I was quite specific in stating that I didn't want to drop it today but wanted to get a quite on what it would cost if I DID do it, the rep on the line still asked me why I would want to cancel. Told him the lockout.

Point being - if you want to make your cable / satellite company squirm a bit without actually canceling, this might be a good option. If enough folks do it, who knows. Definitely felt good to tell someone, directly, that there services were being rendered useless with the lockout. Therapeutic, even.
Awesome!

I just wrote an article describing the same thing.

[Edit: Oops, double post]

Last edited by MrTemple: 10-15-2012 at 03:21 PM. Reason: double post
Old
10-15-2012, 02:49 PM
MrTemple

End the Lockout: Cancel Your Cable for the Duration of the Fan Lockout

I've been thinking for a while now, trying to find *some way* that fans can affect the lockout situation.

Canceling your cable for the duration of the fan lockout and citing the lockout as the reason will have a very real effect.

Since none of us would boycott hockey, the idea is to boycott cable while there's no hockey on it. When the lockout is over, we sign right back up again.

In the mean time, you get by with Netflix, Hulu, MLB.tv, NFL Sunday Ticket, and various other free sources (like the local library).

When the lockout is over, you sign back up, everybody is happy. If enough people do it, the cable and broadcast companies (especially in the States) will start losing subscription and advertising revenue.

You really can't underestimate how frightened Big Television is of all the online TV choices. They're scared shirtless, as they have a feeling that their days are numbered. They do *not* want anybody trying life without cable, with only online TV options, even for a short time.

You also really can't underestimate how quickly these media, network, and advertising companies will call up Gary Bettman and ream him out. They've all got contracts with the NHL, and that gives them power over the NHL. The moment a VP at Comcast or NBC or MillerCoors gets word that some people are turning away from the television that they've paid hundreds of millions of dollars to the NHL to advertise on, they are going to pick up the phone and rip Bettman a new one. It's their job.

In Brief:

- Fans canceling cable for the duration of the lockout will light a fire under the NHL.
- Big Televisionís worst nightmare is the fear that customers will try life without TV for a while and realize that they prefer the choice and savings of web content.
- If fans start canceling due to the lockout, Mr. Bettman is going to start getting an awful lot of angry calls from advertisers, networks, and media giants.

Old
10-15-2012, 03:35 PM
AHockeyGameBrokeOut*

Quote:
Originally Posted by AHockeyGameBrokeOut View Post
I'm going to go ahead and mention it (please don't do this)... hypothetically, and only hypothetically, if someone was to kidnap an NHL player and hold him hostage, we would have a season within a week. Whatever you do, don't do that.
Changed my mind, go ahead and DO IT

Old
10-15-2012, 04:39 PM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTemple View Post
I've been thinking for a while now, trying to find *some way* that fans can affect the lockout situation.

Canceling your cable for the duration of the fan lockout and citing the lockout as the reason will have a very real effect.

Since none of us would boycott hockey, the idea is to boycott cable while there's no hockey on it. When the lockout is over, we sign right back up again.

In the mean time, you get by with Netflix, Hulu, MLB.tv, NFL Sunday Ticket, and various other free sources (like the local library).

When the lockout is over, you sign back up, everybody is happy. If enough people do it, the cable and broadcast companies (especially in the States) will start losing subscription and advertising revenue.

You really can't underestimate how frightened Big Television is of all the online TV choices. They're scared shirtless, as they have a feeling that their days are numbered. They do *not* want anybody trying life without cable, with only online TV options, even for a short time.

You also really can't underestimate how quickly these media, network, and advertising companies will call up Gary Bettman and ream him out. They've all got contracts with the NHL, and that gives them power over the NHL. The moment a VP at Comcast or NBC or MillerCoors gets word that some people are turning away from the television that they've paid hundreds of millions of dollars to the NHL to advertise on, they are going to pick up the phone and rip Bettman a new one. It's their job.

In Brief:

- Fans canceling cable for the duration of the lockout will light a fire under the NHL.
- Big Television’s worst nightmare is the fear that customers will try life without TV for a while and realize that they prefer the choice and savings of web content.
- If fans start canceling due to the lockout, Mr. Bettman is going to start getting an awful lot of angry calls from advertisers, networks, and media giants.
I have canceled cable and cited this reason for it.

I spend more than $100 a month to watch one thing. Hockey.
My wife now gets by on DVDs... we're fine. I might have a hard time justifying turning it back on, to be honest. But I figure I might do it if there is a season and the playoffs start

It makes me satisfied to know that Ed Snider's Comcast company isn't ripping me off right now-- except of his overpriced high speed Internet

Old
10-15-2012, 04:56 PM
Kovalev27
BEST IN THE WORLD

guys honestly cancelling your cable while no games are on tv literally makes zero sense. i mean i get what you are trying to do but this does nothing. no tv hockey ratings are being affected whatsoever.

the only thing nhl fans can do right now is cancel their season tickets. this is a gate driven league

i read last week that only 5 season ticket holders in philly cancelled their plans. FIVE TOTAL.

cancel your season tix. that's the only thing that is going to do anything at all. nothing else matters.

Old
10-15-2012, 05:18 PM
Buck Aki Berg
My pockets hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kovalev27 View Post
guys honestly cancelling your cable while no games are on tv literally makes zero sense. i mean i get what you are trying to do but this does nothing. no tv hockey ratings are being affected whatsoever..
If you're paying $100 a month for hockey, and no hockey isn't being played, I'd say cancelling it and pocketing the $100 a month is pretty wise, even if it lacks a that'll-show-them punch.

Old
10-15-2012, 05:26 PM
patnyrnyg

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlWinslow View Post
Couldn't someone just open up a new hash tag on Twitter where fans could state who they are and what they will do if the NHL cancels another season?

If you got enough people on there just threatening to cancel their tickets, CI etc. and that tag trended, people would notice. The NHL is all about Twitter after all.
Here's the problem, while I have no doubts that every season ticket holder in the league would be willing to do this in order to save the season, I have strong doubts that even 10% would actually follow through. Unfortunately, both the league and players association thinks like I do in this regard. As for me, the Garden would LOVE if I gave up my seats. If they do not sell to someone on the waiting list, they can sell for more than I am paying on stubhub, the team ticket exchange, even ticketdisaster. Plus, I am not the type of fan they want in the building. I eat dinner somewhere near the arena, I hardly ever buy anything inside. The only time I buy a program is if a friend welcomes a baby that day. Give them the program and game tickets. In the 15-25 games I attend each season, I MIGHT spend $100-150 on stuff inside. The occassional beer for the wife and I, the occassional pretzel, but certainly not every game.

Old
10-15-2012, 05:29 PM
patnyrnyg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bob View Post
I have canceled cable and cited this reason for it.

I spend more than $100 a month to watch one thing. Hockey.
My wife now gets by on DVDs... we're fine. I might have a hard time justifying turning it back on, to be honest. But I figure I might do it if there is a season and the playoffs start

It makes me satisfied to know that Ed Snider's Comcast company isn't ripping me off right now-- except of his overpriced high speed Internet
If you really can do without the tv, don't ever turn on the cable. Just watch NHL games on the streaming sites from europe. Not the same quality, and it can be annoying watching the entire game on the laptop/PC, but you can still see the games. That is what I did when Time Warner lost MSG Network for a few weeks this season. Then Jeremy Lin came to save the day. Time Warner had no choice but to strike a deal.

Old
10-15-2012, 05:55 PM
bruinsfan001

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco MacArthur View Post
First, it won't work - people will still spend their money. And even if people stop temporarily, it's one of those "Let's not buy gas on Thursday!" things that doesn't work for obvious reasons.

Second, the lockout has already started.
I disagree, you don't need tickets and NHL memorabilia so you can drive yourself to work everyday. Ultimately, you can get by with out spending a dime on it.

Old
10-15-2012, 07:45 PM
WilderPegasus*
A REAL Senators fan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverHaireDevil View Post
The lot of you are on here bawling about no hockey, yet you seem to think its ok if a group of owners lose millions of dollars a year so you can be entertained.
Do you have any proof to back up your assertion that a group of owners lose millions of dollars a year?

Old
10-15-2012, 08:38 PM
Bruins71*
Bergeron for Selke

Players will still be rich from past earnings and European contracts.

Owners will still be rich from the multitude of other business ventures that they are involved in.

Getting the NHL season started means almost nothing to both groups and if you realize that you will save yourself a lot of angst and frustration.

Old
10-15-2012, 09:17 PM
Clock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kovalev27 View Post
guys honestly cancelling your cable while no games are on tv literally makes zero sense. i mean i get what you are trying to do but this does nothing. no tv hockey ratings are being affected whatsoever.
Has nothing to do with ratings that don't exist (as you said) and everything with getting cable / satellite companies involved. I'd bet there's a decent amount of us who only have service to watch hockey. Those companies are probably nervous enough about internet streaming of popular programming as is, never mind losing customers who might leave for the lockout and when it ends say "eh, you know what? I'll just stream it online."

Basically, I like the angle that the cable companies start to get pissed at the NHL for not having games because it's costing them customers they might never get back.

Old
10-15-2012, 10:00 PM
Retail1LO

Send a message via ICQ to Retail1LO Send a message via AIM to Retail1LO Send a message via MSN to Retail1LO
I don't know how much money the NHL sees percentage wise from the cost of every subscription to the Center Ice package offered on Comcast, but I got a phone call from a Comcast rep asking why I didn't resubscribe for the first time in like...ever...and I responded "Ummm...because they're not ****ing playing???" I was offered an "early bird discount" for paying before the season starts...which they do every year. I asked if I got a refund if they didn't play, or if the season was shortened. I spent alot of time on hold, then was told "maybe." I told them to go fly a kite. Fact is, I wasn't renewing this year anyway. I don't go to many games anyway...so the only way I can hurt the NHL is to not subscribe to my package. I'll read box scores in the paper like I used to. Maybe. My disinterest and indifference is at an all time high.

Old
10-16-2012, 03:00 AM
OttawaGM

Not sure if it has been mentioned but a general boycott wouldn't get the NHL or NHLPA's attention. However, a 250,000->1M person boycott of all products and services from NHL sponsors certainly would.

I would propose that for every cancelled game of your home team, those who sign the petition agree to boycott ALL NHL sponsor products and services for 1 month. So far 6 Ottawa games have been cancelled so that's a 6 month boycott already.

Old
10-16-2012, 03:23 AM
EHCler

Well I think what needs to be done is that fans of the different teams need to organize themselves together, like it is done in various sports in Europe.

That way every club has someone / a group representing the voice opinion of the fans who actually have the power to achieve something and change things the way fans want it.

That way the fans will be taken more serious and can influence the negotiations. Actions of single fans and small groups will not be taken serious and while the league and players properly deserve a slap or two on their wrists nothing / little will be achieved.

How players and owners are now destroying a good development since the last lockout is just idiotic. It should be about how to move game further forward the most important part of this are the fans.

Old
10-16-2012, 05:02 AM
danaluvsthekings

Quote:
Originally Posted by patnyrnyg View Post
If you really can do without the tv, don't ever turn on the cable. Just watch NHL games on the streaming sites from europe. Not the same quality, and it can be annoying watching the entire game on the laptop/PC, but you can still see the games. That is what I did when Time Warner lost MSG Network for a few weeks this season. Then Jeremy Lin came to save the day. Time Warner had no choice but to strike a deal.
I would say the demographic here runs younger, so people in that age group don't have a problem with doing the illegal streams.

But for every person that is fine going with that method, you're going to find older fans that don't want to use illegal streams, don't want to go to the effort to hook up a computer to the tv to watch that way, or don't want to sit and watch games for 3 hours on a computer.

Old
10-16-2012, 07:25 AM
patnyrnyg

I have no problem with the illegality of the sites. My problem is I often dvr the games and start a little late. If the Rangers are on the west coast, sometimes I will even wait until the following afternoon. At work, only 2 other people are into the Rangers, so when that is my plan I tell them not to talk to me about the game. I bring lunch/breakfast so I dont walk into a deli and accidentally see it on the news. I only turn on my computer at work to check my work email, and drive to and from work with the ipod playing in the car. If the sites ever let you dvr games, I would get rid of cable altogether.

Old
10-16-2012, 07:40 AM
KingBogo
Admitted Homer

vCash: 301
Quote:
Originally Posted by danaluvsthekings View Post
I would say the demographic here runs younger, so people in that age group don't have a problem with doing the illegal streams.

But for every person that is fine going with that method, you're going to find older fans that don't want to use illegal streams, don't want to go to the effort to hook up a computer to the tv to watch that way, or don't want to sit and watch games for 3 hours on a computer.
As an older fan I would agree with this. I like to watch games live on cable in front of my big *** TV on my comfy chair in reach of my beer fridge.

Of course my first preference is to be there live sitting in less comfy seats and standing in line for over priced beer.

Old
10-16-2012, 12:00 PM
WingsFan95

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilderPegasus View Post
More like if you have to buy a jersey, buy it from China. Who cares if it isn't 100% perfect? You'll still look like a fan but one with more money in their wallet.
Well, maybe it's a Canadian thing, but I've bought some very exceptional fakes.

In other leagues, I use to go to sports stores and ask the sellers their opinion. They told me themselves they were perfect fakes.

Not sure if they're from China, but they don't cost much too make here in Canada from scratch. The material cost alone are maybe $15? If you buy material in bulk?

My fakes go for $60-$100 though, not $25.

Old
10-16-2012, 12:17 PM
patnyrnyg

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingsFan95 View Post
Well, maybe it's a Canadian thing, but I've bought some very exceptional fakes.

In other leagues, I use to go to sports stores and ask the sellers their opinion. They told me themselves they were perfect fakes.

Not sure if they're from China, but they don't cost much too make here in Canada from scratch. The material cost alone are maybe $15? If you buy material in bulk?

My fakes go for $60-$100 though, not $25.
I find hockey jerseys to have the worst fakes. I think the biggest problem is every team uses a different number/letter font. Plus, hockey jerseys are generally much more detailed. I have yet to see a good Rangers fake, they really botch up the numbers, and the name, especially the arch in the name. With football, and baseball, I have seen some really god fakes, that would be hard to tell just by looking that it is fake. You really needed to look closely and be familiar with all the details.

Old
10-16-2012, 02:22 PM
Drrocket9

I would be considered the same fan as patnyrnyg as I park away from the Tank for Sharks games, eat dinner locally prior to games, never buy anything from overpriced concessions, nor even merchandise. Too expensive even with STH discounts.

I'm pretty sure the organization isn't shedding any tears over my non-renewal

Closed Thread