HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

AHL Amerks at Marlies Sat Oct 13 5:00PM ET

Old
10-14-2012, 10:43 AM
Brody
$$

vCash: 500
Here's the highlights for you guys

Brody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2012, 12:31 PM
Rob Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔

Send a message via AIM to Rob Paxon
I only saw the 3rd and the highlights posted above (thanks!), but I have a few thoughts:

1. Toronto is a better team on paper, so everyone should be aware of that up front.
2. Both teams are still finding their legs. A lot of the positive plays I saw for either team were the result of lucking into a defensive breakdown / individual plays. The first goal for example was hardly a great play (though Kadri made a fairly nice drop pass), just a long wrister that the goalie should have had.
3. Girgensons fits in. I won't get into whether or not he should be kept or sent to the WHL as it's basically moot -- he's going to be here. I am pretty neutral as the advantages to playing on a top line in the WHL are obvious, but he doesn't look out of place where he's at. I think we'll see something a little similar to Foligno's rise last season after he gets a month or so; by then, if a spot open up higher in the line-up I think he's the biggest threat to take it.
4. Pysyk has been one of my favorite ever prospects since early on and he shows it every time he's on the ice. He's going to have a long NHL career during which he will be one of the most dependable players on his roster. His offensive game will likely be modest but he will be a true two-way defenseman due to his skating and smarts.
5. McNabb is going to have a big season. I'm as interested in seeing how his year goes as anyone else. Just how good can he be at the next level, especially offensively? Can't wait to find out.
6. I really like Kadri. I know everyone who isn't a Leafs fan hates Leafs prospects, and he hasn't stuck in the NHL yet, but I think he shoots up the Leafs line-up whenever the big leagues resume.

Rob Paxon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2012, 12:52 PM
Buffalo87
thehosers dot com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brody View Post
Here's the highlights for you guys
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Paxon View Post
2. Both teams are still finding their legs. A lot of the positive plays I saw for either team were the result of lucking into a defensive breakdown / individual plays. The first goal for example was hardly a great play (though Kadri made a fairly nice drop pass), just a long wrister that the goalie should have had.
I don't really think that's fair. The guy had an unpressured, albeit unscreened, shot from the center of the ice inside the top of the circles. That's prime scoring area. There's a reason that guy was one of the brightest young dmen in the NHL last year too.

That 2nd Marlies goal was a thing of beauty, just awesome puck movement.

MacKenzie got handled on that goal that was waved off. I'm a big fan of his, didn't notice him much on Friday night which isn't a bad thing at all with him. Not sure how he looked last night, but he didn't look good on that play.

Glad to hear Girgensons looked better last night than Friday night. He made waves in his first shift Friday night with a big hit and then was pretty much invisible after that. It looked to me like on that 2-on-1 Girgensons really wanted to pass the puck and when that option closed off he just kind of froze up.

Buffalo87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2012, 01:23 PM
Zip15

Watched the first two periods last night, and caught the highlights today. Saw some good stuff, some not as good stuff. That wasn't a game I expected them to win, what with playing the night before (Toronto was off), playing on the road, and playing a team with as much quality as the Marlies have for that level.

I liked Girgensons and Pysyk most. Some other guys had some good and bad (Foligno, Brennan). Rochester had its opportunities to put up some goals--the missed 2-on-1 in the first with Girgs/Rankin; Girgs' botched break in the second; Legault's missed breakaway; a nice save by Scrivens on Mancari--but couldn't convert, and Toronto converted many of its opportunities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalo87 View Post
I don't really think that's fair. The guy had an unpressured, albeit unscreened, shot from the center of the ice inside the top of the circles. That's prime scoring area. There's a reason that guy was one of the brightest young dmen in the NHL last year too.
I think the Sportsnet guys got that one right when they attributed the lion's share of the fault to the PK forwards being so slow in getting back. Toronto came over the line with a 5-on-2 because Porter and Foligno were late. That set up the drop pass and Gardiner had the option of shooting, or dishing it off if a defenseman challenged him which would've created a 2- or 3-on-1 down low.

Quote:
That 2nd Marlies goal was a thing of beauty, just awesome puck movement.
Very pretty goal. Would've liked Schiestel to be just a tick quicker in getting back to Hamilton, but that was tough to stop.

Quote:
MacKenzie got handled on that goal that was waved off. I'm a big fan of his, didn't notice him much on Friday night which isn't a bad thing at all with him. Not sure how he looked last night, but he didn't look good on that play.
Looked like he lost an edge just before he lost the battle in the corner, and maybe didn't have his bearings back when he was engaged. Still, that wasn't pretty.

Didn't love Brennan last night, either. He picked off the pass in the neutral zone that turned into Foligno's goal, but he got caught in no-man's land on Toronto's third goal. I want more from him at this stage of his development curve.

Zip15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2012, 02:21 PM
mgeise

Quote:
He also needed to close that gap on the Gardiner goal. Any good offensive player will make you pay if you give them that much space.

mgeise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2012, 02:24 PM
Woodhouse
Global Moderator
HFBoards: Night's Watch

vCash: 578
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helo View Post
Soo whats up with girgs how did he look in this game?

Woodhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2012, 05:52 PM
Bobby Bottle Service
Ghost Bouncer

Was at the game last night...

- Gardiner was the best player for either team.
- Psysk was solid, made nice deceptive neutral zone passes. Some caught his own teammates off guard, which won't be a problem with the big squad.
- the pistol had a good game. His skating was notably good. Almost as good as psysk.
- foligno was a force all night.
- hodgson was good, but not great outside of a couple shifts. He got smacked in the face during the 3rd and then dominated with foligno for the rest of the shift.
- zemgus made things happen all night. Constantly skating hard. Fun to watch.
- mcnabb was solid, logged big minutes and threw some big hits.
- big joe Finley broke up every scrum in front of leggio. No one wanted to dance with him.

Bobby Bottle Service is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2012, 07:16 PM
Zip15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaleta36 View Post
He also needed to close that gap on the Gardiner goal. Any good offensive player will make you pay if you give them that much space.
Hobson's Choice on that one for MacKenzie. If he challenges Gardiner, Gardiner dishes it to the forward on MacKenzie's side and it's a 3-on-1 down low (and everyone blames MacKenzie for getting caught in no-man's land) and a possible tap-in goal; or do what he did and leave the shooter for Leggio. Tough spot for the defenseman.

But the entire issue was created by Foligno and Porter not getting back quick enough. Inexcusable on the PK.

Zip15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2012, 09:51 PM
Dubi Doo

I haven't been able to watch much of them yet. I only caught about 5 minutes of the 3rd. Is Mcnabb their no.1 d man?

Dubi Doo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2012, 05:11 PM
littletonhockeycoach

Really, really appreciate the threads on the Amerks games guys. Please keep any highlights coming. Thanks!

littletonhockeycoach is offline   Reply With Quote