HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 NHL Entry Draft Talk

Closed Thread

Old
10-13-2012, 05:38 PM
Lars The GOAT Eller
WildGranlund

vCash: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to Lars The GOAT Eller
Even Forsberg and Collberg dropped like rocks, it's nice to know there is a lot of strong NA talent i suppose

Old
10-13-2012, 05:38 PM
That

Quote:
Originally Posted by vad87 View Post
I would like to know more about Anthony Mantha. Big RW playing for Val d'Or and he's on fire since the beginning of the season. He just scored 3 goals in 2.56 minutes against Saint John and he's now 7-9-16 in 10 games.
I'll second this. I liked what I saw when he got his first hattrick this year against Cape Breton. He had a decent tilt in that game too.

So for anyone who knows more. How physical is he? Does he play with a consistent level of intensity? Is he a smart player or does he rely more on his size?

Old
10-13-2012, 06:08 PM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
Ohhhh you mad

Quote:
Originally Posted by That View Post
I'll second this. I liked what I saw when he got his first hattrick this year against Cape Breton. He had a decent tilt in that game too.

So for anyone who knows more. How physical is he? Does he play with a consistent level of intensity? Is he a smart player or does he rely more on his size?
Saw him a few times last season, once last month. Like I said he's stronger than most but doesn't show off like most big guys. Smart, good passing skills. Can he fight? Not great.

Old
10-13-2012, 07:07 PM
Fozz

Quote:
Originally Posted by DekeLikeYouMeanIt View Post
Saw him a few times last season, once last month. Like I said he's stronger than most but doesn't show off like most big guys. Smart, good passing skills. Can he fight? Not great.
Mantha is also an excellent skater for his size and beats guys on the outside quite often.

Old
10-13-2012, 09:35 PM
JeromeHP
@Jerome_Berube

speaking of Mantha, here his 3 goals in 2:56 tonight in Saint-John

http://hockeyprospect.com/video/2013...-13&Itemid=575

Old
10-13-2012, 09:47 PM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
Ohhhh you mad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fozz View Post
Mantha is also an excellent skater for his size and beats guys on the outside quite often.
Yes. There has been a lot of improvement since I first saw him. He now has a v good 1st step.

Thanks Jerome. Wow. He's even quicker than I remember.

Old
10-14-2012, 06:52 AM
S Bah

vCash: 50
The Habs have a great front office staff,some really good prospects coming in a couple of years and Galchenyuk whose talent may see him join the Habs this year.But for the diehard fans that have suffered through the longest drought the Habs have ever gone through without a SC,it certainly would be nice to draft another lottery pick.Even if that pick was the 5th,in a draft that's considered very deep chances are they could draft a player that would be a 1st liner to complement Galchenyuk instead of waiting to see if any of their prospects might fill the bill.Signing big name UFA's isn't happening any time in the foreseeable future,all the super-stars sign with the wealthy big market teams.So as a diehard fan all I can do is dream and hope that the league in it's infinite wisdom finds a way that the lower echelon teams get a fair shake after the lockout to have a shot at a lottery pick.Not 1 in 30 but say 1 in ten,where the bottom ten teams have an equal opportunity.It certainly would be nice to think the Habs have that type of chance at picking MacKinnon,Jones,Barkov or any of the top ten.

Old
10-14-2012, 09:33 AM
MXD

Anybody had some kind of "crush" on players that could possibly be good late-rounders/invites?

Old
10-14-2012, 12:32 PM
Mrb1p

Quote:
Originally Posted by MXD View Post
Anybody had some kind of "crush" on players that could possibly be good late-rounders/invites?
Slepyshev would still be worth a flyer for me.

Old
10-14-2012, 03:54 PM
Et le But

To those saying they don't trust Finnish prospects, Granlund looks like just as much of a beast in the AHL as he did in SM-liiga.

Old
10-14-2012, 04:25 PM
vad87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
To those saying they don't trust Finnish prospects, Granlund looks like just as much of a beast in the AHL as he did in SM-liiga.
Bring on that Barkov monster

Old
10-14-2012, 05:15 PM
katatoniak

What about Laurent Dauphin in Chicoutimi. 12 pts in 11 games. average size at 6'

Looks very talented

Old
10-14-2012, 05:34 PM
MXD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrb1p View Post
Slepyshev would still be worth a flyer for me.
That's... not exactly the kind of candidate I was looking for.

Old
10-14-2012, 05:56 PM
That

Quote:
Originally Posted by MXD View Post
Ayrton Nikkel - D - Brandon Wheat Kings
Tyler Bertuzzi - LW - Guelph Storm
Justice Dundas - RW - Sarnia Sting (Second year of eligibility)
Sergei Kuptsov - RW - Belleville Bulls
Jimmy Lodge - C - Saginaw Spirit
Cole Cassels - C - Oshawa Generals
Michael Vlajkov - D - Ottawa 67s
Stephen Nosad - RW - Peterborough Petes

I'm not sure where all these guys are pegged to go, but they all seem like late picks to me.

Old
10-15-2012, 09:01 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Well you could say that for every European prospect that plays in Europe, or even prospects that we don't get to see a whole lot. One tournament can start a whole lot of hype for a prospect, especially one prospect that most posters don't get to see.

For Finland specifically, I can't really think of an example other than Teuvo Teravainen (recently). I was having a panic attack when there was talk of us drafting him with the 3rd pick.

For Sweden and Russia there are much more examples of that. Magnus Paajarvi was touted to go higher than he did. Same with Kuznetsov and Tarasenko.
I'm not just talking about prospects who slipped a couple of spots, I'm talking about guys who were at some point in the conversation for first overall or touted as the "next great Finnish superstar" - I think they've all been mentioned by now but to summarize, in recent years: Teuvo Teravainen, Joel Armia, Toni Rajala, Teemu Pulkkinen, Jesse Joensuu...

Of course, the book isn't closed on any of those guys (well, maybe Joensuu). Maybe they could still become stars. And, like I said, Granlund finally looks like he's going to be worth the hype. But there's something about Finnish prospects getting astronomical hype and fading into oblivion.

Old
10-15-2012, 11:30 AM
That

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
I'm not just talking about prospects who slipped a couple of spots, I'm talking about guys who were at some point in the conversation for first overall or touted as the "next great Finnish superstar" - I think they've all been mentioned by now but to summarize, in recent years: Teuvo Teravainen, Joel Armia, Toni Rajala, Teemu Pulkkinen, Jesse Joensuu...

Of course, the book isn't closed on any of those guys (well, maybe Joensuu). Maybe they could still become stars. And, like I said, Granlund finally looks like he's going to be worth the hype. But there's something about Finnish prospects getting astronomical hype and fading into oblivion.
Thanks for the clarification. I assumed that we were talking about players who slipped on draft day. Not players who stock slipped over the course of the season.

Players of any nationality have slipped in the draft before or have been hyped and it become quite apparently that the hype maybe wasn't warranted by the draft. Maybe there has been an abundance of Finnish players that it has happened too lately, but that still doesn't deter me from wanting my team to draft them (if they are the best player available).

Old
10-15-2012, 11:42 AM
Dada

anybody saw Mantha's recent hatrick in 3 minutes? Awesome 2nd goal

http://youtu.be/g5gAfL-12uk

Old
10-15-2012, 11:44 AM
Dada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markov79fan View Post
speaking of Mantha, here his 3 goals in 2:56 tonight in Saint-John

http://hockeyprospect.com/video/2013...-13&Itemid=575
Shoot, I didn't saw your post, my bad

Last edited by Dada: 10-15-2012 at 11:51 AM.
Old
10-15-2012, 01:44 PM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post

Well a lot of that has to do with Finland failing to produce many blue chip prospects since the generation of Selanne and the Koivu brothers, and so the ones with the most elite skill are perhaps getting overhyped. The same can be said about many prospects from Quebec, no?

Plus of those only Joensuu and Pulkkinen really started to drop off after their initial hype, as I said before Teravainen was the opposite case where he only got major hype leading up to the draft and even with his slow start this year I believe he was an absolute steal for where he was drafted.

Old
10-15-2012, 03:14 PM
Frozenice
the random dude

I'm not so sure that Teravainen rose as much as the other forwards in the draft weren't that good. After Yakupov and Galchenyuk, I would choose Teravainen over the other forwards available. Unlike a lot of posters here I was okay taking a d-man with our pick which was our only other option.

Old
10-15-2012, 03:21 PM
ikelechien

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSharpMarble View Post
This is a good thing because we will probably picking outside of the top 10. You really want him on fire all season?
He didn't play at all on the weekend even though he said he would be on the bus and that it was only a sore shoulder. He also confirmed that he is now 5'10 3/4 and 190 lb. (compared to 176 lb. on the Mooseheads website).

I wrote a small article on Drouin at TheHockeyWriters-Combine for those of you with an interest in him.

Old
10-15-2012, 06:20 PM
That

Here's the ISS top 30.

1 Nathan MacKinnon C
2 Seth Jones D
3 Sasha Barkov C
4 Sean Monahan C
5 Curtis Lazar C
6 Andre Burakowsky LW
7 Rasmus Ristolainen D
8 Hunter Shinkaruk C
9 Elias Lindholm C
10 Jonathan Drouin C
11 Robert Hagg D
12 Artturi Lehkonen LW
13 Ryan Pulock D
14 Valery Nickushkin F
15 Steve Santini D
16 Darnell Nurse D
17 Adam Erne F
18 Nikita Zadorov D
19 JT Compher C
20 Jacob De La Rose C
21 Kerby Rychel LW
22 JT Morrissey D
23 Frederik Gauthier C
24 Stephen Harper LW
25 Hudson Fasching F
26 Jason Dickinson LW
27 Pavel Buchnevich F
28 Bo Horvat C
29 Mike Downing D
30 Ryan Kujawinski C

Source

My thoughts:

-I'm surprised to see Burakowsky over Lindholm
-Artturi Lehkonen seems a little high, but he's off to a tremendous start.
-Surprised to see Zadorov and Horvat over Domi. Domi is a better player than both currently.
-Stephen Harper is very good player, nice to see him on this list.
-I like Jason Dickinson, but he seems a little high at this point. He's definitely a good prospect, and I wouldn't be surprised to see him at a similar spot by the end of the year.
-Michael Downing seems like an interesting prospect. He's a 6'3" defenceman. I would like to know more about him.
-Ryan Kujawinski seems low, I'm almost certain that he will be a big riser.
-Zachery Fucale is missing. He's a fantastic prospect, I have no idea why he's not there.
-I really like William Carrier and I'm very surprised to not see him in the top 30. He's a better prospect than almost 10 guys on the list in my eyes.
-Anthony Duclair is also a glaring omission. While I'm not a fan, he has a great skill set and he's got the numbers to go with it.

Last edited by That: 10-15-2012 at 06:33 PM.
Old
10-15-2012, 06:28 PM
katatoniak

Quote:
Here's the ISS top 30.

1 Nathan MacKinnon C
2 Seth Jones D
3 Sasha Barkov C
4 Sean Monahan C
5 Curtis Lazar C
6 Andre Burakowsky LW
7 Rasmus Ristolainen D
8 Hunter Shinkaruk C
9 Elias Lindholm C
10 Jonathan Drouin C
11 Robert Hagg D
12 Artturi Lehkonen LW
13 Ryan Pulock D
14 Valery Nickushkin F
15 Steve Santini D
16 Darnell Nurse D
17 Adam Erne F
18 Nikita Zadorov D
19 JT Compher C
20 Jacob De La Rose C
21 Kerby Rychel LW
22 JT Morrissey D
23 Frederik Gauthier C
24 Stephen Harper LW
25 Hudson Fasching F
26 Jason Dickinson LW
27 Pavel Buchnevich F
28 Bo Horvat C
29 Mike Downing D
30 Ryan Kujawinski C
Duclair out of the 1st round ... weird...

Old
10-15-2012, 06:58 PM
le_sean

Lazar getting a lot of love despite a mediocre start to his season.

Old
10-15-2012, 07:05 PM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
Ohhhh you mad

Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
Lazar getting a lot of love despite a mediocre start to his season.
Because of his maturity and almost complete game. Have you watched him? It's way too early.

Closed Thread