HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Tallon won't trade Bjugstad for Luongo

Closed Thread

Old
10-15-2012, 02:21 PM
Vankiller Whale
Maybe HE can score

vCash: 5555
Heck, I would trade Schneider right now if the right deal came along.

Old
10-15-2012, 02:34 PM
Scottrockztheworld*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scurr View Post
Lu wasn't replace as #1, he lost the job for three games. Lu knows he's a starter in this league, and I bet he believes he can beat Schneider for the job, that isn't why he's leaving. If you want to tell Canuck fans how to feel about the situation, you should get informed first.
This this 10000 times this!

Everyone is telling us how we should feel, what we should do & informing us about value of our own players when you guys are probably the least informed group. You guys claim stuff as certain fact when the complete opposite has been said not only by our GM but from the very player himself! Yet we are suppose to take you guys' word?

Do you see why we find this topic absolutely ridiculous? Especially when we've had these EXACT same "discussions" 100 times before!

Old
10-15-2012, 04:09 PM
Cogburn

vCash: 50
I'm wondering about something. If Gillis came out and said "Vancouver is not interested in quantity, or largely futures, or second tier players/prospects/picks", would so many of these proposals stop?

Bjugstad was a piece Canucks players, and members of the media, grabbed for in their proposals, and news reached Florida. Tallon took a step to say "we are not interested in moving this player", even though this seemed obvious Florida fans.

Please, please, please Gillis, come out and say Luongo won't be moved for scraps or under his percieved value to fans.

Old
10-15-2012, 06:55 PM
StrictlyCommercial

Quote:
Originally Posted by Man Bear Pig View Post
Just out of curiosity, do Canucks fans think this will change? As in more teams becoming interested? as far as I see it, Luongo's value can't go up...just my two cents.
I'm way late in responding, but a lot of teams are using somewhat risky goaltending these days.

San Jose. Edmonton, Calgary, Minnesota, Chicago, Phoenix, Toronto, Ottawa, Florida, Tampa Bay, Columbus, NYI off the top of my head could all be looking for goaltending in 1 year. Obviously the list will shrink over time, but you never know.

I'd still rather trade Schneider if the return for Luongo is going to be crap.

Old
10-15-2012, 06:56 PM
Vankiller Whale
Maybe HE can score

Holtby Collapses. Schneider for Kuznetsov. Book it.

Old
10-15-2012, 07:01 PM
pdd

How about this one...

To Vancouver:

F Johan Franzen
G Jimmy Howard

To Detroit

D Dan Hamhuis
G Roberto Luongo

Old
10-15-2012, 07:07 PM
Vankiller Whale
Maybe HE can score

Quote:
Originally Posted by eva unit zero View Post
How about this one...

To Vancouver:

F Johan Franzen
G Jimmy Howard

To Detroit

D Dan Hamhuis
G Roberto Luongo
Nope. Luongo's better than Howard, and Hamhuis is better than Franzen. Apart from the fact Hamhuis is irreplaceable to our team right now.

Old
10-15-2012, 07:07 PM
kthsn

vCash: 1785
Quote:
Originally Posted by eva unit zero View Post
To Vancouver:

F Johan Franzen
G Jimmy Howard

To Detroit

D Dan Hamhuis
G Roberto Luongo
Hamhuis and Howard should be excluded.

Old
10-15-2012, 07:32 PM
smackdaddy
Hall-RNH-Eberle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
Nope. Luongo's better than Howard, and Hamhuis is better than Franzen. Apart from the fact Hamhuis is irreplaceable to our team right now.
Well, you definitely ain't gettin' anything remotely close to even value skill wise. Not with that contract.

Old
10-15-2012, 07:35 PM
Vankiller Whale
Maybe HE can score

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
Well, you definitely ain't gettin' anything remotely close to even value skill wise. Not with that contract.
So we should trade him in a package that makes us a worse team? Makes sense.

We downgrade in goaltending, and downgrade far more on our defense than Franzen would compensate to our forward group.

Old
10-15-2012, 07:44 PM
Vankiller Whale
Maybe HE can score

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kshahdoo View Post
Vladimir Shalaev says, they won't let more NHLers to play in the KHL, because they think lock-out will be put to an end in December. He bases his statement on some confidential information, they get form NHL. More particularly, he says, only 8 owners support Bettman, all others have already started to press him to stop this crap.

http://izvestia.ru/news/537614

English Translation from Translation Babylon.
Quote:
However, for our data lockouts will end by the beginning of December. We depend on our correspondence, we operate undersea fiber runs with partners about the contracts players, who are now opposed to us, as well as the data our experts, working in North America. The situation is changing. The changes that an agent NHL Gary Беттмэн relies not on all clubs of the league, but only to the eight, whose leaders are the Council of the League.
This was posted on the main board, looks to me like Bettman won't have enough support to try to do things so often mentioned that will lower Luongo's value(lower the cap without rollbacks to the point we are forced to move him, or trying to kill off long-term contracts)

Obviously we still have to wait and see, as always, but things are looking good for us, I think.

Old
10-15-2012, 08:06 PM
Coolburn

Send a message via AIM to Coolburn Send a message via MSN to Coolburn Send a message via Yahoo to Coolburn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cogburn View Post
I'm wondering about something. If Gillis came out and said "Vancouver is not interested in quantity, or largely futures, or second tier players/prospects/picks", would so many of these proposals stop?

Bjugstad was a piece Canucks players, and members of the media, grabbed for in their proposals, and news reached Florida. Tallon took a step to say "we are not interested in moving this player", even though this seemed obvious Florida fans.

Please, please, please Gillis, come out and say Luongo won't be moved for scraps or under his percieved value to fans.
But hasnt Gillis basically said this by the fact that Luongo hadnt gotten traded already? I mean otherwise I'm sure he probably would already be a Panther. I think until he does get traded (which I think is kinda inevitable) you wont see those proposals stop.

Old
10-15-2012, 08:12 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
According to Jason Botchford's twitter, apparently teams like Edmonton coming into the mix have bumped the price up for Luongo and teams are willing to pay. Also, Luongo apparently realizes that Florida is a pipe dream, and can't make a stiff-arm move like Heatley because the threat of him being waived and claimed by Columbus is very real.

Mike Gillis has a hell of a lot more bargaining power here than people are willing to admit.

10-15-2012, 08:18 PM
Scottrockztheworld*

reposting that fairly fast after hearing about it hey

Old
10-15-2012, 08:18 PM
tmurfin
500g1000pts

vCash: 336
Quote:
Originally Posted by live playoff hockey View Post
really tired of hearing how bad our locker room is and that we must trade him. The idiocy of these people to believe that they have an insight into the minds of Canucks players when no one on here has any inside information is silly. All we know is what we have been told and what has happened in the past. Both suggest that there won't be goalie cat fights that ruin our team. I can imagine it now, Luongo demanding a bigger stall in the locker room to satisfy his enormous ego which leads to a catfight with the hothead Cory who has proven to be impatient and hard to work with. The best way to ruin team unity is by losing a **** ton of games and I don't see us doing that whenever the season starts up. Have you ever heard of being professional? Putting the team before yourself? There is a reason why this wasn't an issue last year. I'm not saying it won't be an issue 100%, but to assume that it will be an issue is beyond ridiculous. It's the same argument that all of the Edmonton youngsters will want 7 mill + on their next contracts so it's in their best interest to move one of them. There is a reason why Gillis is a GM and people on HF are not.

God I want hockey to start!
I don't recall saying any of these things, I said I don't see Lu becoming a backup? I'm sure he'll keep his mouth shut to the media and in the lockerroom, but I don't see him wanting to stay in Vancouver as a backup. It's a complete different situation than Edmonton, there is only one starter goalie. Lets put it this way, if you were at the top of your profession, one of the best, but one person in your company is younger, cheaper, and a little better, do you stick around and be demoted, or jump to another company where you can show your abilities and be appreciated. I don't claim to have any type of insight into any lockerroom but with basic knowledge of the human thought process one would say no one likes to be second best. Put yourself in those shoes, would you take it just because? Lol didn't think so.

Last edited by tmurfin: 10-15-2012 at 08:24 PM.
Old
10-15-2012, 08:23 PM
Vankiller Whale
Maybe HE can score

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmurfin View Post
I don't recall saying any of these things, I said I don't see Lu becoming a backup? I'm sure he'll keep his mouth shut to the media and in the lockerroom, but I don't see him wanting to stay in Vancouver as a backup. It's a complete different situation than Edmonton, there is only one starter goalie. Lets out it this way, if you were at the top of your profession, one of the best, but one person in your company is younger, cheaper, and a little better, do you stick around and be demoted, or jump to another company where you can show your abilities and be appreciated. I don't claim to have any type of insight into any lockerroom but with basic knowledge of the human thought process one would say no one likes to be second best. Out yourself in those shoes, would you take it just because? Lol didn't think so.
Luongo signed a long-term contract with the Canucks(as we are so often reminded).

He can't just "jump ship" to a new team, he has to wait until Gillis finds a team willing to give up decent value. Until then he can either be a grumpy old man about it or play the best he can, possibly reclaiming the starter job, which isn't as unlikely as people think.

Old
10-15-2012, 08:29 PM
tmurfin
500g1000pts

vCash: 336
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
Luongo signed a long-term contract with the Canucks(as we are so often reminded).

He can't just "jump ship" to a new team, he has to wait until Gillis finds a team willing to give up decent value. Until then he can either be a grumpy old man about it or play the best he can, possibly reclaiming the starter job, which isn't as unlikely as people think.
Every fan base says this when there is rumblings that a player wants out, what happens? Most times the player is traded, why? Because no gm wants to put up with the distraction from the media and getting a bad reputation among players. When push comes to shove, Luongo will be traded, for the best they can get, whether it meets their demands or not.

To clarify, I am in no way saying they will get garbage for him, or that he will tear the team apart trying to leave. My point is, there is almost a guarantee that he's traded, and there is a very real chance that its not fair value

Old
10-15-2012, 08:43 PM
Vankiller Whale
Maybe HE can score

Quote:
Every fan base says this when there is rumblings that a player wants out, what happens? Most times the player is traded, why? Because no gm wants to put up with the distraction from the media and getting a bad reputation among players. When push comes to shove, Luongo will be traded, for the best they can get, whether it meets their demands or not.

To clarify, I am in no way saying they will get garbage for him, or that he will tear the team apart trying to leave. My point is, there is almost a guarantee that he's traded, and there is a very real chance that its not fair value
The player is hardly ever traded right away. Howson held out for quite some time before trading Nash, who was much more open about wanting to leave. Bernier asked to be traded from LA, and they didn't do anything about it. Just because a player says "it's time to move on" doesn't mean he is hell-bent on leaving and can't wait a couple of months while interest picks up.

Old
10-15-2012, 09:01 PM
Beezeral

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
According to Jason Botchford's twitter, apparently teams like Edmonton coming into the mix have bumped the price up for Luongo and teams are willing to pay. Also, Luongo apparently realizes that Florida is a pipe dream, and can't make a stiff-arm move like Heatley because the threat of him being waived and claimed by Columbus is very real.

Mike Gillis has a hell of a lot more bargaining power here than people are willing to admit.

Would be a pretty severe change of course for Gillis to all of a sudden be willing to trade Luongo within the division. It is absolutely possible that Edmonton jumping into the mix has upped the price, but it doesnt seem like it would be in the Canucks best interest to move Luongo to a team that is up and coming and in the division.

I also find it extremely unlikely that Gillis will waive Luongo and get nothing in return over a less than fair offer from FLA/TOR. It would create bad karma among players as well. Players don't forget when an organization mistreats fellow players.

Edmonton seriously jumping into the mix definitely complicates things from a Toronto perspective and all but eliminates the panthers from the equation, because it seems obvious that Tallon is only looking for a bargain.

Old
10-15-2012, 09:06 PM
Vankiller Whale
Maybe HE can score

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beezeral View Post
Would be a pretty severe change of course for Gillis to all of a sudden be willing to trade Luongo within the division. It is absolutely possible that Edmonton jumping into the mix has upped the price, but it doesnt seem like it would be in the Canucks best interest to move Luongo to a team that is up and coming and in the division.

I also find it extremely unlikely that Gillis will waive Luongo and get nothing in return over a less than fair offer from FLA/TOR. It would create bad karma among players as well. Players don't forget when an organization mistreats fellow players.

Edmonton seriously jumping into the mix definitely complicates things from a Toronto perspective and all but eliminates the panthers from the equation, because it seems obvious that Tallon is only looking for a bargain.
Gillis has never had any qualms about trading to rivals, he's said he has said there's not a single team in the league he wouldn't consider trading with if he felt it would benefit the Canucks. He may even simply use Edmonton as a decoy to get Toronto to raise it's price.

And placing Luongo on waivers is only a silent threat, that if Luongo is unwilling to waive for anywhere but Florida(and their offer is garbage because of that), Gillis will tell Luongo it's either Edmonton/Toronto or Columbus.

Old
10-15-2012, 09:07 PM
tempest2i
Myxomatosis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beezeral View Post

While I understand it is possible that Edmonton could make an offer for Luongo, I would be shocked if that's true. I know current Oilers management has done some stupid things in the past, but this would take the cake.

Old
10-15-2012, 09:10 PM
Scottrockztheworld*

Quote:
Originally Posted by tempest2i View Post
While I understand it is possible that Edmonton could make an offer for Luongo, I would be shocked if that's true. I know current Oilers management has done some stupid things in the past, but this would take the cake.
Yeah trying to get an established goalie & change your teams culture from a losing one to a winning one is pretty stupid

Old
10-15-2012, 09:27 PM
tempest2i
Myxomatosis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imagine17 View Post
Yeah trying to get an established goalie & change your teams culture from a losing one to a winning one is pretty stupid
You're serious?

The Oilers have tried this recently. They brought in a 36 year old goalie with the following resume:

- 4 time All-Star
- Olympic Gold (and Bronze)
- Stanley Cup Champion

You know how that turned out? Let me just tell you, I'm very glad that Khabby isn't signed for 4 seasons at this point.

Do I think the Oilers need an upgrade in net? Yes.
Do I think the Oilers should trade for a 33 year old, with a similar resume, signed until he's 43? No.

Once burned, twice shy.

Old
10-15-2012, 09:33 PM
DJOpus

Quote:

When did Bobby Ryan get traded?

How about Scott Stevens, I guess he never suited up for New Jersey.

Does Ovy still play for Washington or can we get him for Raymond + 2nd because he is unhappy and has a huge contract?

My point is, you hear rumblings about players all the time, they only get traded if the team needs to trade them (i.e. the team is playing like crap). I think the odds of Vancouver sucking is a lot less than the odds of any of the five or so interested teams having bad goaltending to start the season.

Old
10-15-2012, 09:33 PM
Scottrockztheworld*

Quote:
Originally Posted by tempest2i View Post
You're serious?

The Oilers have tried this recently. They brought in a 36 year old goalie with the following resume:

- 4 time All-Star
- Olympic Gold (and Bronze)
- Stanley Cup Champion

You know how that turned out? Let me just tell you, I'm very glad that Khabby isn't signed for 4 seasons at this point.

Do I think the Oilers need an upgrade in net? Yes.
Do I think the Oilers should trade for a 33 year old, with a similar resume, signed until he's 43? No.

Once burned, twice shy.
Luongo is a much more consistent goalie, younger & overall skill wise a lot better. A clear upgrade in goal. You're fooling yourself or trying to put Luongo down if you think Luongo has as little impact as Khabibulin did for you.

Closed Thread