HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Bos - edm

Old
10-15-2012, 03:17 PM
Fourier

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nuge View Post
NHL ready doesn't change the fact he has fairly minimal upside (top 6 at least) OP is correct. It doesn't make sense to trade Hemsky. If he has in fact bounced back, he's worth a 1st and a much better prospect. If he doesn't rebound, then we can consider trading him for something like this
As I said, I don't think this is a deal the Oilers would have any interest in right away. But it is also possible that by even next summer the writing might be on the wall as far as Hemsky's long term role on the club is concerned. I not at all sure for example that he would want to stick arouind if he ends up being the #3 RW'er with only minimal pp time. Moreover, with a full year lockout it is possible that the Oilers won't know how he will fair in his new role before his value drops due to his impending UFA status at the end of 2014.

While he is not over the hill at all, he is still the type of player who at this point in his career is unlikely to return a player anywhere near his calibre. As such if he does eventually get traded, it would not surprise me at all that this is the type of return you get for him.

Fourier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2012, 04:20 PM
SLAPSHOT723
Bandwagon since 2008

Not sure why the Bruins would do that. Do they even have room for Hemsky in their line up? The only way this might go down is if they trade Krejci for a puck moving defenseman, and move Seguin to their 1st line center.

Lucic-Seguin-Horton
Marchand-Bergeron-Hemsky

I'd rather have their regular top-6.

SLAPSHOT723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2012, 04:24 PM
Fourier

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLAPSHOT723 View Post
Not sure why the Bruins would do that. Do they even have room for Hemsky in their line up? The only way this might go down is if they trade Krejci for a puck moving defenseman, and move Seguin to their 1st line center.

Lucic-Seguin-Horton
Marchand-Bergeron-Hemsky

I'd rather have their regular top-6.
Well then...How about Whitney and Hemsky for Krejci and Caron.

Fourier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2012, 04:35 PM
Jack Donaghy
Good God Lemon

I think there is always room for a player as skilled as Hemsky.

Hell, put him on the third line with Peverley and Kelly.

Jack Donaghy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2012, 04:51 PM
cashman rules*

Chiapet hangs up,sorry oiler fans love ya to death but nope

cashman rules* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2012, 06:11 PM
rockinghockey

There is no way that EDM is giving up Hemsky for a bottom player like Caron and a 2nd that would be closer to a 3rd. No thanks.

rockinghockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2012, 07:48 PM
Caballo Blanco
2014 Conn Smythe

Caron doesn't have NHL skills or hockey sense, EDM ISN,t that desperete yet to dump cap hits for nothing.

Caballo Blanco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2012, 08:14 PM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

What is Caron's skating like?

10-15-2012, 08:18 PM
Jack Donaghy
Good God Lemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caballo Blanco View Post
Caron doesn't have NHL skills or hockey sense, EDM ISN,t that desperete yet to dump cap hits for nothing.
Crazy how I immediately knew who posted this despite the name change.

Jack Donaghy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2012, 09:36 PM
rockinghockey

I can't believe that you BOS fans think Caron is woth that much?

rockinghockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2012, 10:52 PM
Montecristo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
What is Caron's skating like?
Avg top end speed, below average acceleration and quickness.

I don't like this deal on either side. Hemsky has more value then Caron and Boston doesn't want the cap hit for an injury prone player and doesn't need veterans up front

Montecristo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2012, 11:03 PM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montecristo View Post
Avg top end speed, below average acceleration and quickness.

I don't like this deal on either side. Hemsky has more value then Caron and Boston doesn't want the cap hit for an injury prone player and doesn't need veterans up front
Thanks, we already have a big body with average/below average skating in Teemu Hartikainen. I can't speak for Boston's need or cap situation, but based on what I've heard here I don't see a good fit for the Oilers either.

Bryanbryoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2012, 11:21 PM
5RingsAndABeer
John MacKinnon Fan

vCash: 1220
Oilers are probably better off rolling the dice with Hemsky and seeing where he's at. Despite the stable of young studs, the Oilers secondary scoring isn't that good yet.

5RingsAndABeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2012, 11:37 PM
Random Bruins Fan
Certified Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinghockey View Post
I think it is more a matter of Hemsky isn't worth all that much. Isn't he a UFA in a year? He's talented but you have to pay him 5 million, he's injury prone and trending down and evidently hasn't done the Oilers much good in recent years.

Random Bruins Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2012, 01:10 AM
Dr Danglefest
Vindication

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinghockey View Post
I'd imagine we could say the same about Edmonton fans and MPS, fact is we know what we have in Caron because we watch him frequently (just like EDM fans with MPS) we know what's there and that he can be a very productive NHLer that will do his job and do it well. The thing is is we don't have that pressig need for a winger that plays with an edge that uses his body, gets dirty in the corners and is very reliable defensively (one of our best PKers) like Edmonton does, our roster is LOADED with that, and it very obviously works.

Edmonton (not that EDM fans need informing) is the opposite, nobody that is known for using their body and doing everything above, that hasn't already cemented themselves into a career in the bottom 6. However you have a lot of skilled scorers, with Hemsky being down that list, forced into a secondary scoring role, and the fact that if he cashes in as a UFA you won't be able to afford (realistic, not hometown discount) raises to RNH and Yak, as well as fielding a full team that isn't inept.

Sometimes you have to look at the big picture and realize everyone has a job and a purpose and that every forwards purpose isn't to score goals. Even if Caron isn't that guy, you have to understand that it's not realistic to say "we can get someone better without trading one of the big 4. Because this type of trade is what a Hemsky will net, not a star power forward. Not even if he has one comeback year. It takes a hell of a lot more to build value than it does to lose it.

That's all I have to say I guess lol

Dr Danglefest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2012, 01:18 AM
Slatsmsg

vCash: 370
I don't think the Oiler brass re-signed Hemsky to a 5 million dollar deal to move him for a prospect and the 50 something pick in the draft. I think the new deal demonstrates a real belief that his health is in a good spot now and they expect him to contribute. He won't be relegated to 3rd line not at 5 mill, they already have Horcoff making first line dollars on the third.

Though I do agree with the previous post about harder to build value than to lose it.

Value is probably close at this moment in time but I don't see Caron as the guy they would look to acquire.

Slatsmsg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2012, 03:08 AM
lakai17

vCash: 50
Hemsky does possess value, I mean he is in his prime as well. Edmonton have enough young and upcoming depth players in the system today.

lakai17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2012, 03:41 AM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakai17 View Post
Hemsky does possess value, I mean he is in his prime as well. Edmonton have enough young and upcoming depth players in the system today.
I don't think that is far from the truth TBH. We do have a lot of future NHL depth players in our system, what we still do lack is what a guy like Moroz could become and a true **** disturber type unless Tyrvainen becomes that player. Besides that we have lots of potential 3rd and 4th liners as well as lots of future #3-#7D in the system.

Bryanbryoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2012, 04:00 AM
Dr Good Vibes

Hemsky >>> Jeremy Caron

Oilers scouting > bruins scouting

That second round pick is deceiving because is worth way more as an Oiler pick.

Add Johnny Boychuk and Peckham and we've git something.

Edm

Peckham
Hemsky

Bos

Boychuk
Caron
2012 2nd

Dr Good Vibes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2012, 05:18 AM
nmbr_24

:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Good Vibes View Post
Hemsky >>> Jeremy Caron

Edm

Peckham
Hemsky

Bos

Boychuk
Caron
2012 2nd
It isn't very hard to scout when you have the #1 pick 3 years in a row, you have to admit that much.

The Bruins team is built on 2nd round picks, winning a Stanley Cup in 2011 on the strenth of players like Patrice Bergeron, David Krejci, Milan Lucic, Brad Marchand make me think the Bruins scouting department just might be ok.

There is also not a chance the Bruins do the deal you propose, Boychuk isn't going anywhere unless they are upgrading the D. The Bruins don't need Hemsky for that price, it doesn't make the team better. It makes the 3rd line more offensive and less defensively responsible while losing a penalty killer and a D who can play top pairing minutes. It just doesn't make sense for the Bruins. It doesn't even make sense to trade Caron for Hemsky, Hemsky would have to knock Tyler Seguin or Nathan Horton out of the top 6 if he was going to play on one of the top two lines and I don't see that happening. Hemsky doesn't seem like a good 3rd line guy while Caron fits into that role pretty well.

You can't overload your team with top 6 players making $5 million per season or you are going to have to neglect another area of your team.

Hemsky is not the guy the Bruins need in my opinion and if they are going to get a top 6 guy they will probably be shipping out one of their top 6 guys and I would take all of the Bruins top 6 over Hemsky.

Last edited by nmbr_24: 10-16-2012 at 05:29 AM.
nmbr_24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2012, 07:36 AM
Tim Vezina Thomas
Dougie Time

Honestly, I would do this in a heartbeat. Not sure it would work cap wise, but if there was a way to make it work without blowing up our team I would.

I see Caron/Jared Knight as having the same type of ceiling. Not the same player, but the same ceiling. Definite third line potential...good defensively, hard worker, 40-60 point potential. I also see both of them with possible top six potential, but unlikely.

I see Caron as our 3rd line left wing of the future, but no chance for him to move up into the top six (Lucic, Marchand). With this trade, Edmonton gets a strong LW and a good draft pick...value seems fair.

Where do I sign?

Tim Vezina Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2012, 07:39 AM
Oates2Neely

Hemsky just isn't the type player desired in Boston. His inability to remain healthy crush his value. He's a passer/ playmaker, which Bostons' top centers currently are (Krejci, Bergeron), if Boston needs a winger, Id assume theyd look for a shooter. And when Hemskys' $5m cap hit is factored in, it's a no-brainer. He's got tons of talent, but not worth the risk, especially at that outrageous cap hit.

Oates2Neely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2012, 07:40 AM
Tim Vezina Thomas
Dougie Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Good Vibes View Post
Hemsky >>> Jeremy Caron

Edm

Peckham
Hemsky

Bos

Boychuk
Caron
2012 2nd
Jeremy Caron? You're probably an expert on our propsects aren't you?

Old
10-16-2012, 07:42 AM
Oates2Neely

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Vezina Thomas View Post
Honestly, I would do this in a heartbeat. Not sure it would work cap wise, but if there was a way to make it work without blowing up our team I would.

I see Caron/Jared Knight as having the same type of ceiling. Not the same player, but the same ceiling. Definite third line potential...good defensively, hard worker, 40-60 point potential. I also see both of them with possible top six potential, but unlikely.

I see Caron as our 3rd line left wing of the future, but no chance for him to move up into the top six (Lucic, Marchand). With this trade, Edmonton gets a strong LW and a good draft pick...value seems fair.

Where do I sign?
IF Hemsky could stay healthy, yes ofcourse you do this deal. But how would you feel when Hemsky is in Boston & he succumbs to his annual injury and misses half the season or more, & Boston has a $5m cap hit on IR?

If Chiarelli chooses this route (shopping Caron + pick) for 3rd line vet who can occasionally slot into top-6, I'd rather him go after Morrow than Hemsky.

Oates2Neely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2012, 07:53 AM
Tim Vezina Thomas
Dougie Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oates2Neely View Post
IF Hemsky could stay healthy, yes ofcourse you do this deal. But how would you feel when Hemsky is in Boston & he succumbs to his annual injury and misses half the season or more, & Boston has a $5m cap hit on IR?

If Chiarelli chooses this route (shopping Caron + pick) for 3rd line vet who can occasionally slot into top-6, I'd rather him go after Morrow than Hemsky.
Its not like the contract is for 7 years though O2N. Its a two year contract. What happens if Horton isnt around all year? Is Peverley a top six forward on a Contender? No way.

I'd look at other deals first, and gauge Hortons health, but I can't say I'm too upset about the assets we'd be giving up in this deal.

Maybe I jumped the gun on my "do it in a heartbeat" claim, but I'm still very intrigued with it.