HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Big seasons expected from several Montreal Canadiens' prospects

Old
10-16-2012, 01:42 AM
Prairie Habs

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PricePkPatch View Post
Except that you work on the assumption that all talents in a certain batch will flourish immediately.

Talents that would usually have been called up on their 2ND contract year had the luxury of playing longer in the AHL. That certainly helped a lot.
????

He said that 03 draft talent benefited from playing in the AHL in 04-05 when there was a lockout. I said they were to young to be in the AHL that year because they would have still had a year of junior eligibility left. How many starts from that draft were already in the NHL and thus were able to be sent to the AHL? Also if they were in the NHL right after their draft year I assume they would have been pretty good anyway.

Prairie Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2012, 03:12 AM
Playmaker09
Valar Morghulis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairie Habs View Post
????

He said that 03 draft talent benefited from playing in the AHL in 04-05 when there was a lockout. I said they were to young to be in the AHL that year because they would have still had a year of junior eligibility left. How many starts from that draft were already in the NHL and thus were able to be sent to the AHL? Also if they were in the NHL right after their draft year I assume they would have been pretty good anyway.
Actually, any late birthday could have played in the AHL (like Beaulieu is doing this year) as well as any non-CHL drafted player.

Just from the first round: Staal, Horton, Vanek, Parise, Kesler, Brown, Burns, MAF and Suter all spent the entire 04-05 season in the AHL.

Many players benefited IMO from spending an extra year in lower leagues as well. MAF, Staal, Horton, Zherdev, Michalek, Kesler, Burns, Brown all played at least part of the 03-04 season in the NHL, then were forced to play at a lower level the year after. Phaneuf, Carter and Perry were called up for the AHL playoffs after their (impressive) 03-04 CHL seasons were over, so it's pretty safe to say that the lockout held them back as well.

From the 02 draft all of Nash, Semin, Higgins, Bouchard, Lupul, Upshall, Pitkanen and Bouwmeester played NHL games before the lockout, spent the next season in the AHL/Europe then returned post-lockout with DRASTIC increases in production. Nash and Semin, for example jumped from 17 and 10 goals in their rookie seasons to 41 and 38 respectively. (Though I know you never disagreed about 02 draftees)

Playmaker09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2012, 04:07 AM
S Bah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrb1p View Post
IMO he could be a perrenial selke contender(ala Bergy.)

He just need's more speed and to trim those eyebrows.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonSkorpion View Post
Trimming those eyebrows could help his speed, actually.
It's a good thing he didn't have to play in London at night,he may have been shot with a silver bullet.

S Bah is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2012, 07:13 AM
Sumoki Dachiba

Cammalleri (2002) and Spezza (2001) also spent the lockout in the AHL and came out of it with what can be considered career years for both of them in terms of production. The list goes on and on.
The lockout-enhanced AHL was not just a boon for 2003 draftees, it was huge for a lot of prospects. That is really the only positive that can be taken from a season lost to lockout. I still hope it won't happen.

Sumoki Dachiba is offline   Reply With Quote