HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk > Polls - (hockey-related only)
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

Would Chicago be a better team with...

View Poll Results: Would Chicago be a better team with ?
Carey Price 79 69.91%
Patrick Kane 25 22.12%
about the same 9 7.96%
Voters: 113. You may not vote on this poll

Old
10-15-2012, 05:45 PM
JayKing
Go Habs Go

vCash: 390
Quote:
Originally Posted by eva unit zero View Post
Price, no question.

Vancouver then trades Luongo for Markov+Pacioretty+Eller.

Vancouver turns around and ships Eller to Chicago for Crawford.

Montreal, meanwhile, has traded Patrick Kane, Tomas Plekanec and a 1st to Tampa for Vincent Lecavalier and a 2nd...
Lame trolling.

JayKing is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2012, 07:42 PM
Fire Julien

vCash: 1340
Price would be another Thibault for Chicago.

Fire Julien is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2012, 11:42 PM
nowhereman

vCash: 500
Price is a top 5-7 goaltender in the league and plays a position that impacts the game on a more significant level. Kane isn't even a top 20 forward in the game.

My vote goes to Price.

nowhereman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2012, 11:51 PM
5RingsAndABeer
John MacKinnon Fan

vCash: 1220
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pi View Post
Patrick Kane.. PPG in the playoffs, scored the Stanley Cup winning goal. Chicago doesn't need a 6M+ goalie to be successful. They just need to find another Niemi.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sample_size

Also, just because they had success with Kane in the playoffs doesn't mean they wouldn't be more successful with Price instead.

5RingsAndABeer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2012, 11:52 PM
Chris Hansen
VERSTEEG REDEMPTION

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5RingsAndABeer View Post
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sample_size

Also, just because they had success with Kane in the playoffs doesn't mean they wouldn't be more successful with Price instead.
...Yeah, think I'll take my chances with the guy who put up 28 points en route to the Cup, thank you. At least Kane actually has a successful playoff sample size to draw from.

Chris Hansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2012, 12:43 AM
pdd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hansen View Post
...Yeah, think I'll take my chances with the guy who put up 28 points en route to the Cup, thank you. At least Kane actually has a successful playoff sample size to draw from.
Ok, you can pick any year from 1994 to 2011 for the Wings, and you can have any Wings goaltender who played for the team during that time.

Who do you pick? The obvious answer is Osgood, since he has the most Cups. But most people will probably say Hasek, and there's no reason not to... he's Hasek.

Which should bring to light the flaw in your argument.

pdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2012, 01:32 AM
Pie Man
A-Pie

Patrick Kane, the Hawks already prove that they can win the cup with a player like Kane who lead the team in points that playoff with a goalie like Niemi. Also I think Price is overrated.

Pie Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2012, 04:45 AM
RedWhiteBlackGold

vCash: 50
Went with Price.

10-16-2012, 05:02 AM
GuineaPig

The difference in talent between the two is negligible, but goalie is a much more influential position and Price is a much bigger upgrade than what they have on the roster.

GuineaPig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2012, 05:34 AM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

you really think Luongo could get Markov+Pacioretty+Eller

he wouldn't return even 1 of them

Bubba88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2012, 09:08 AM
Chris Hansen
VERSTEEG REDEMPTION

Quote:
Ok, you can pick any year from 1994 to 2011 for the Wings, and you can have any Wings goaltender who played for the team during that time.

Who do you pick? The obvious answer is Osgood, since he has the most Cups. But most people will probably say Hasek, and there's no reason not to... he's Hasek.

Which should bring to light the flaw in your argument.
Not really. The guy's dismissing Kane's playoff performance as if it means nothing. That's the flawed argument. If we're talking purely about a player's ability to perform in the playoffs, I'll take the proven Kane over the unproven Price. But that's not what this thread is really about, so we can let this go right there.

The Hawks do not need a star goalie to be successful. They need to revamp their defensive structure so that it's actually at an NHL rather than high school level, get average goaltending from someone (Crawford?), and find someone to slide in at #2C.

They don't need Carey Price (although I'd love to have him). Giving up Kane to get him would defeat the purpose. Unsurprisingly, HF continues to underrate PK because he had a bad season - color me shocked.

Old
10-16-2012, 12:13 PM
tony d
The franchise

Patrick Kane, close though.

10-16-2012, 12:36 PM
darglor

Isn't this essentially a rehash of the Hossa vs Luongo thread? The correct answer doesn't change; it's still the goalie because the difference in skill between the upgrade vs the downgrade is favourable.

Add to that the facts that goalie is a much more influential position and that we're looking at "better Chicago team" as opposed to "player values in a trade"... it's a no brainer.

darglor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2012, 04:32 PM
pdd

Quote:
Originally Posted by darglor View Post
Isn't this essentially a rehash of the Hossa vs Luongo thread? The correct answer doesn't change; it's still the goalie because the difference in skill between the upgrade vs the downgrade is favourable.

Add to that the facts that goalie is a much more influential position and that we're looking at "better Chicago team" as opposed to "player values in a trade"... it's a no brainer.
No, it's not. Hossa is much better than Kane, while Price is comparable to Luongo. It's like saying "Is Toronto better off with Kessel or Luongo" and then posting "Is Toronto better off with Lupul or Luongo" the next day. There is a BIG difference between the forwards, while the goaltending is no different (or not significantly different). Alternatively, "Is Detroit better off with Datsyuk or Enstrom" and then "Is Detroit better off with Filppula or Bouwmeester" could be used as examples.

More simply:

Hossa>>Kane
Price=Luongo

If you want to view it as trade value (in a vacuum), then change it up a bit.

Hossa>Kane
Price>Luongo

Old
10-16-2012, 04:37 PM
pdd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hansen View Post
Not really. The guy's dismissing Kane's playoff performance as if it means nothing. That's the flawed argument. If we're talking purely about a player's ability to perform in the playoffs, I'll take the proven Kane over the unproven Price. But that's not what this thread is really about, so we can let this go right there.

The Hawks do not need a star goalie to be successful. They need to revamp their defensive structure so that it's actually at an NHL rather than high school level, get average goaltending from someone (Crawford?), and find someone to slide in at #2C.

They don't need Carey Price (although I'd love to have him). Giving up Kane to get him would defeat the purpose. Unsurprisingly, HF continues to underrate PK because he had a bad season - color me shocked.
Kane is the Hawks' most expensive forward and their fourth-best forward. If they could do a Kane/Crawford for Plekanec/Price (or even Eller/Price) swap, that improves the Hawks a great deal. A simple Kane/Price swap guarantees Crawford a ticket out of town anyway, and for a forward, so adding Craw and getting one of Montreal's two-way centers to play on the Hawks' second line would be the perfect fit for Chicago's game.

Old
10-16-2012, 04:37 PM
WarriorofTime

Patrick Kane is an HF whipping boy. Deservedly at least somewhat because he had a bad season for his standards but I think people forget how good he really is and how young he is.

WarriorofTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2012, 04:46 PM
drmagg

Went with Price. But hes clearly overrated by most of you.

drmagg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2012, 04:48 PM
zytz
lumberjack

Hawks fan... I said about the same. Price certainly helps us out a ton, but we have no replacement for Kane.

zytz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2012, 05:23 PM
I Hate Chris Butler
Backlund Fan Club

Patrick Kane is a better forward than Price is a goalie.

I Hate Chris Butler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2012, 05:26 PM
Vankiller Whale
Maybe HE can score

vCash: 5555
Quote:
No, it's not. Hossa is much better than Kane, while Price is comparable to Luongo. It's like saying "Is Toronto better off with Kessel or Luongo" and then posting "Is Toronto better off with Lupul or Luongo" the next day. There is a BIG difference between the forwards, while the goaltending is no different (or not significantly different). Alternatively, "Is Detroit better off with Datsyuk or Enstrom" and then "Is Detroit better off with Filppula or Bouwmeester" could be used as examples.

More simply:

Hossa>>Kane
Price=Luongo

If you want to view it as trade value (in a vacuum), then change it up a bit.

Hossa>Kane
Price>Luongo
The decade age difference between Kane and Hossa tilts the value in Kane's favour, even though Hossa is better now.

Vankiller Whale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2012, 05:54 PM
Chris Hansen
VERSTEEG REDEMPTION

Hossa is to Datsyuk as Kane is to Valtteri freakin' Filppula?

HF just never fails to come up with something hilariously wrong.