HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Justin Schultz joins the Oilers Part II

Old
07-30-2012, 09:02 AM
CupofOil
Fire Lowe

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilsands View Post
Let's not go overboard - defensemen have the steepest learning curve and are hard to project. It's almost a given that Schultz can be a roster D-man on a weak NHL roster this year. Some say he could be a top-4 player, *already*, but given the strange and unpredictable developmental curves that defensemen follow - I think all bets are off.

He could be MA Bergeron or he could be a Tobias Enstrom. A nice piece to have in the bottom half of your d-pairings, but lordy if you are depending on anything more - we have got a problem here.
I understand the idea of being realistic about expectations but there is a reason that Schultz has been so hyped, he's a blue chipper, plain and simple.

I mentioned earlier in this thread that i've seen him play many times on replay and he is no MAB, i'll tell you that much.
He most definitely has top pairing potential and could easily be a #1 if all goes well, his all around game is superb although there are obviously things that he needs to work on like getting stronger but he has all the goods to succeed at the NHL level even if he encounters some bumps in the road in his development along the way.
If McDonaugh and Gardiner can succeed fairly quickly at the NHL level, i don't see any reason why Schultz can't. His game is very polished and he plays all situations PP, PK and 5 on 5 at a high level so he should make some sort of impact even this season.

CupofOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2012, 11:32 AM
alanschu

Quote:
Originally Posted by nexttothemoon View Post
Anyone think of a current NHL dman that's really good at wristing shots through from the point? I'm just trying to think of a possible comparison.
Pronger did in his time here, and Lidstrom mixes it up quite well as well.

I think most of the higher quality defensemen in the league are able to snap off quick wristers from the point TBH.

He's not "current" but Bourque was one of the best at it.

alanschu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 02:43 PM
jadeddog

Since Schultz was signed as a UFA, does that mean his next contract is as a UFA as well? Or is he a RFA due to this contract still being an entry-level deal? Thanks for any clarification.

I thought I asked this question before, but I can't find it in this thread, so maybe I only thought about posting it. Memory like a goldfish sometimes, I swear.

jadeddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 02:45 PM
I see only darkness

He will be a RFA until age 27 iirc...its 7 years nhl or age 27

I see only darkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2012, 06:41 PM
GoingGoingGagner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadeddog View Post
Since Schultz was signed as a UFA, does that mean his next contract is as a UFA as well? Or is he a RFA due to this contract still being an entry-level deal? Thanks for any clarification.

I thought I asked this question before, but I can't find it in this thread, so maybe I only thought about posting it. Memory like a goldfish sometimes, I swear.
No, from what I know about the situation, just consider him an Oiler drafted rookie with a 2-year ELC. When it's up, he'll be RFA!

It was a huge signing mostly for that reason!

GoingGoingGagner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2012, 05:35 PM
Dabomb

*bump

Really impressive first 2 pro games for our big offseason signing. I know its only 2 games in the AHL, but he looks like he already can play in the Oilers top 4. Am I being too optimistic?

Dabomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2012, 05:52 PM
Neatman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabomb View Post
*bump

Really impressive first 2 pro games for our big offseason signing. I know its only 2 games in the AHL, but he looks like he already can play in the Oilers top 4. Am I being too optimistic?
He has looked fantastic. I would say he is easily top 4 on the Oilers. Tougher to say what his ceiling is without seeing him against NHL opposition, but Im certainly presently surprised by his performance in OKC.

Neatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2012, 06:19 PM
jadeddog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabomb View Post
*bump

i've watched both OKC games and he has been the best player on the ice for the barons in both contests (him or pitlick).... he really does look exactly like the player he was being described as

very early of course, but the early results are encouraging that he actually will be a top-4 guy at some point in the future.... i doubt it will be this year though (if the lockout ends that is)

jadeddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2012, 06:30 PM
SephF
Thanks Smytty

Quote:
Originally Posted by OILERS91 View Post
He will be a RFA until age 27 iirc...its 7 years nhl or age 27
Under the old CBA. It's hard to say until we see what is in the new one.

SephF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2012, 07:36 PM
orangeshinpads
Katz isa manipulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilerdiehard View Post
His college coach made a comment that he has an uncanny talent or feel for releasing the puck at the right time from the point and getting it through to the net through traffic. I don't think he has a huge howitzer or anything but has a good wrister from the point and pretty quick release.
I think that's one of the most specific and accurate things you can say about him based on the video I've seen.

orangeshinpads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2012, 07:47 PM
gonzo11
Give the dog a bone

Quote:
Originally Posted by SephF View Post
Under the old CBA. It's hard to say until we see what is in the new one.
I know on the busines board a few weeks ago someone floated the notion we might see the age of UFA go down to 25

gonzo11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2012, 08:34 PM
Oi'll say!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumptheshark View Post
I know on the busines board a few weeks ago someone floated the notion we might see the age of UFA go down to 25
That should help out the small market teams and keep salaries down. not

Honestly there's almost no point in drafting d-men and goalies anymore if that's the case, especially in the 1st round. Even guys like Shea Weber and Dion Phaneuf only played 4 full seasons before that age and they're early bloomers compared to the average d-man.

For goalies, Cam Ward played his first full season at 22 with a .897 sv%, he had .904 at 23. Carolina got two really good seasons out of him before he turned 25 and I can't think of a better young goalie than Ward off the top of my head. For arguments sake Fleury had a .912 sv% the year he turned 25.

I'd bet that there are a lot of fwds drafted after everyone but Weber that had much more impact by the age of 25.

Oi'll say! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2012, 09:26 PM
Eytinge

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumptheshark View Post
and I heard that the NHL wants to implement 10 years of rfa for the new cba.

Eytinge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2012, 09:54 PM
gonzo11
Give the dog a bone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eytinge View Post
and I heard that the NHL wants to implement 10 years of rfa for the new cba.
NHL wants it upped and the NHLPA wants it down.

gonzo11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2012, 12:44 AM
Q Continuum
The trial never ends

vCash: 691
Here with my hands up and humble pie on my plate. He's looked damn impressive.

Q Continuum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2012, 02:57 AM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewOilRising View Post
Here with my hands up and humble pie on my plate. He's looked damn impressive.
Well you were wrong and as a result the Oilers got better and got a damn fine hockey player, IMO that humble pie should be downright delicious

10-15-2012, 08:57 PM
SLURVE

The Oilers were so lucky to get Schultz this past summer. It was like winning two draft lotteries in a row for 2012 or having two top picks in the top three rankings. If Schultz was in the 2012 entry draft, he would probably be ranked as high as 2nd or low as 3rd overall. The trend of a player not wanting to sign here are behind us. Gone are the Dany Heatley and Hossa days and Heelloeee UFAs and other players knocking at the door. The Oilers future can't look any brighter than now hopefully the arena issue will be resolved soon enough. The Oilers will be once again a very, very competitive team and exciting to watch.

SLURVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2012, 11:47 PM
okgooil
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLURVE View Post
The Oilers were so lucky to get Schultz this past summer. It was like winning two draft lotteries in a row for 2012 or having two top picks in the top three rankings. If Schultz was in the 2012 entry draft, he would probably be ranked as high as 2nd or low as 3rd overall. The trend of a player not wanting to sign here are behind us. Gone are the Dany Heatley and Hossa days and Heelloeee UFAs and other players knocking at the door. The Oilers future can't look any brighter than now hopefully the arena issue will be resolved soon enough. The Oilers will be once again a very, very competitive team and exciting to watch.
Ya, I recal as soon as they signed him a friend said just that. It is like getting the 1st and 2nd over all. My friend was not a oilers fan either. He is just that good of a prospect. I honestly do feel bad for the Ducks, they developed the guy and we got him NHL ready. However, I will gladly take him.

okgooil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2012, 12:09 AM
Tarus
Fire Mact

Quote:
Originally Posted by okgooil View Post
Ya, I recal as soon as they signed him a friend said just that. It is like getting the 1st and 2nd over all. My friend was not a oilers fan either. He is just that good of a prospect. I honestly do feel bad for the Ducks, they developed the guy and we got him NHL ready. However, I will gladly take him.
Considering he went through collage, the Duck's hand in his development was minimal.

Also hard to feel bad for a franchise that just recently obtained a Stanley cup on the back of misfortune affecting the Oilers.

Tarus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2012, 12:25 AM
Philly85
Moody'

It's still really early... his skating is unbelievable though, he's clearly got balls too, as he's been completely unafraid to jump into and lead the rush. I've seen him get caught already once or twice but most of the time he's right back in position. Looks like he could be a stud offensive D-man. Hard to believe a guy who can skate that well, has that much confidence, that level of skill can't have SOME success in the NHL. First two games he's looked like a big league player to me.

There will be a learning curve and I just hope he continues to build his confidence and learn the game... he is a very promising player with huge upside IMO. At this point I'll be happy if he just ends up being a solid contributing top 4 D-man but to me he looks like he could be something more.

Also, I saw some comparisons and people mentioning him in the same breath as MAB... laughable... give your head a shake!

Philly85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2012, 01:09 AM
T-Funk

vCash: 1020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly85 View Post
Also, I saw some comparisons and people mentioning him in the same breath as MAB... laughable... give your head a shake!
I don't even know where that would come from
offensive defenseman sure but he is nothing like bergeron

T-Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2012, 01:33 AM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

vCash: 1026
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly85 View Post
It's still really early... his skating is unbelievable though, he's clearly got balls too, as he's been completely unafraid to jump into and lead the rush. I've seen him get caught already once or twice but most of the time he's right back in position. Looks like he could be a stud offensive D-man. Hard to believe a guy who can skate that well, has that much confidence, that level of skill can't have SOME success in the NHL. First two games he's looked like a big league player to me.

There will be a learning curve and I just hope he continues to build his confidence and learn the game... he is a very promising player with huge upside IMO. At this point I'll be happy if he just ends up being a solid contributing top 4 D-man but to me he looks like he could be something more.

I can't say too much because I'm only going off highlights and what people have said, but he really does sound a lot like Ryan Murray to me (little less polished defensively and a little better offensive instincts though), which really does lend to the feeling of getting 1st and 2nd overall imo

The Nuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2012, 03:59 AM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nuge View Post
I can't say too much because I'm only going off highlights and what people have said, but he really does sound a lot like Ryan Murray to me (little less polished defensively and a little better offensive instincts though), which really does lend to the feeling of getting 1st and 2nd overall imo
Way better offensive instincts than what I've seen from Murray (which was all last season).

Bryanbryoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2012, 11:03 AM
jebs

No way he would have gone top 3 in this draft. Would have been taken around 10th imo. Still.. an amazing free wallet.

No one should be surprised at how he has played offensively. His NHL Equiv was crazy high.

Im more interested in his defensive play personally. As long as hes not a liability in that area, he will be totally worth the hype. I like what ive seen so far.

jebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2012, 11:08 AM
Turrican*
Not a homer

How does his offense compare to Doughty aka Orr?

Turrican* is offline   Reply With Quote