HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Omark Thread: Willing to play in the AHL?

Old
10-15-2012, 02:02 PM
joestevens29

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by NAF View Post
I think that's a fairly disingenuous comment. Draft position doesn't determine value of a player. If Dallas had only gotten 60 NHL games out of Jamie Benn, it would have been a huge fail by the organization, even though he was drafted 30 picks after Omark. A lotto ticket that cost you 2 dollars stops being worth 2 dollars if it's a winner (unless it's a $2 winner )

Now excuse me while I go drink to help me forget the fact we could have picked Benn instead of Omark.

You saw that too I see. Still my point kinda stands, what is the max value of Linus Omark? I doubt anyone was ever lining up offering a 1st for him, even a 2nd a couple years ago probably is pushing it.

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2012, 02:24 PM
Booya42
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ) What the...

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorulf View Post
Pro Tip of the Day: The ones who is sick and tired of Omark and are going to hate him no matter what - Just try to resist the feeling of hatred and don't open this thread.

Obviously many still think Linus play on some way still affects Oilers.

Omark didn't succed in Oilers under Rennys reign. Ofc a major part of that is Linus "fault". But i can tell many of you haven't studied Human Resource Management or have real life experience of leading a sports team etc.

If you either think Omark is unfit for the "NHL type of play" or just don't have the tools, you must concider one thing; The Oilers organization didn't get the max out of the asset Linus Omark. Obviously the can play hockey under other circumstances...
Yes he can...namely an olympic sized rink where he has lots of room and time to make decisions. He's just not as good on a smaller rink surface - as in an NHL sized rink.

Booya42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2012, 03:31 PM
McClelland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booya42 View Post
Yes he can...namely an olympic sized rink where he has lots of room and time to make decisions. He's just not as good on a smaller rink surface - as in an NHL sized rink.
Thats opposite what i have notized! Omark isnt a typhical small player with speed and brain. In reality should smaller rinks and less time fit his style,hes also pretty unique among small players in the way he working the boards,he can hold back giants there and make plays.

The problem he has is that he like to hold on the puck to long,he seeks the perfect play to many times.he overthink the plays and his linemates has a hard time to follow.If he adapt more and start to take quicker decisions,working away these bad habits,then his linemates doesnt have to be scientist to understand his plays,then would he be effective and produce a lot more.
He have defensive issues,because he nursing the puck and sees opportunitys in every pass,every play that he makes and that hurt him sometimes. Its about to find the right fit for him,so he can do the things hes best of,create offense. Hes such a smart player and has taken big steps since his first 30 nhl games.His determination is stellar and i wish Prv and others had a couple of spoons of what hes filled of.

McClelland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2012, 03:36 PM
jumptheshark
Give the dog a bone

vCash: 1850
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoneman89 View Post
Nothing against Omark, I wish him well. But can we just please let him go, like we were finally able to do with Robbie Schremp (after several attempts, therapy for some, and a few years)? He's done as an Oiler and not coming back, and the feeling is mutual.
this board never lets anything go and will always second guess why players did not work out here and how it is managements fault

Remember when Schremp put a few good games together and some posters were convinced that we had screwed up

jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2012, 03:48 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumptheshark View Post
this board never lets anything go and will always second guess why players did not work out here and how it is managements fault

Remember when Schremp put a few good games together and some posters were convinced that we had screwed up
4 months ago the Swedish backers of Omark were telling us how Oil management ruined Omark how he looked worse than ever trying out for Team Sweden.

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2012, 04:01 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
Always the Bards

vCash: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
4 months ago the Swedish backers of Omark were telling us how Oil management ruined Omark how he looked worse than ever trying out for Team Sweden.
Well I mean it's true, what? You think it could be "his" responsibility? Surely you jest, that's not how hockey works, apparently.

Jimmi Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2012, 07:06 PM
Krigaren*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
Well I mean it's true, what? You think it could be "his" responsibility? Surely you jest, that's not how hockey works, apparently.
I wasnt among those but i could see their point. You look at Omark pre oilers and Omark after oilers and at the pre wc games it looked like he degressed.

But Omark later said he played injuried during those games. And offcorse at the end of the day Omark is Omark and thats who he answers to. At the same time you cant not rule out the organisation either. Its not like Oilers have been a developing machine. But what most also brought up (even those who blamed oilers) was the fact he suffered a season long injury. It affects alot but i dont have to tell you guys that..

Krigaren* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2012, 07:08 PM
Seedling
Fan level 7?

Quote:
Originally Posted by McClelland View Post
And Gilbert Brule has 12 gp 0 g 5 a 5 points
Jeff tambellini 3+4 12 gp

Zug has only 12 points so far and their defense sux big
and Omarks line is the only who produces! Zetterberg plays next game and probably give the team a boost.

I think omark will get another shot in Nhl,there are teams out there starving for offense and omark is a cheap low risk high reward player. Hopefully we get a 2 rounder for him! Lets hope he continues to produce a d make the wc team, a lot harder if the lockout continues trueout the year.
Yeah, he will get another look. I just don't think he is as great as some would lead us to think. I wish him well, but he is an asset at this point. Hopefully he boosts his value.

Seedling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2012, 08:04 PM
Stoneman89

Quote:
Originally Posted by McClelland View Post
Omark is oiler property! Thats why i writing in his thread!I see a highly talent playmaker who i want to reach Nhl level, and i think he will do that,probably not with us,but alot can happen,injurys,hemsky department and we have already a new coach.

I like to watching such talent where ever it shows up and Nhl needs some entertaiment,to balance up over-directed hockey who is boring and predictable where roleplayers is almost semistars and thats isnt enough to make hockey a more entertaiment sport especially in us, Nhl must reach out to the big crowd who is willing to pay big bucks.

The schremp comparison is only ridicolous,only a quick look at their career stats shows the difference.
He's Oiler property? I thought he left at the end of his contract and is playing in the Swiss league?

As for all his talent, perhaps you can tell me why no other team in the NHL tried to trade for him. Certainly they wouldn't have had to give up very much.

And as for his stats compared to Rob Schremp, I'm not sure where you're going with that, but they both sucked in the NHL.

Sorry to wake you up from your dreamworld, but I doubt he ever makes it in the NHL.

Stoneman89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2012, 08:06 PM
Stoneman89

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
Two players that refused to listen to coaches in order to make the NHL, can add Alex Giroux to the list as well amongst others.
I think it was more a case of Alex Giroux's lack of skating ability that kiboshed any chance he had of playing in the NHL, not his listening skills. Unless his legs wouldn't listen to him.

Stoneman89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2012, 08:11 PM
Usual_Suspect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoneman89 View Post
He's Oiler property? I thought he left at the end of his contract and is playing in the Swiss league?

As for all his talent, perhaps you can tell me why no other team in the NHL tried to trade for him. Certainly they wouldn't have had to give up very much.

And as for his stats compared to Rob Schremp, I'm not sure where you're going with that, but they both sucked in the NHL.

Sorry to wake you up from your dreamworld, but I doubt he ever makes it in the NHL.
You start out by admitting you don't know that he's still Oilers property. Not sure how you expect people to listen to any of your points after that. Sounds like you are just trolling.

Usual_Suspect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2012, 09:09 PM
Senor Catface

Weird to see Omark with 16 points in 12 games and even, while Seguin having 5 point in 7 games and -6.

Senor Catface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2012, 10:04 PM
Booya42
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ) What the...

Quote:
Originally Posted by President Van Buren View Post
Weird to see Omark with 16 points in 12 games and even, while Seguin having 5 point in 7 games and -6.
Clearly Omark is the better player...

Booya42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2012, 10:05 PM
Ferros

Quote:
Using the logic but some people (no one mentioned ) Seguin must be a terrible player being a -6 (remember -2 makes you a bad NHLer that can't play in your own zone) in a league like the Swiss one. Spezza and Thornton also had "bad" +/- and look at their age! They should just stay in Europe, they're not good enough defensivley for players being in/past their peak. (before anyone actually thinks I'm serious, I'm just using the same arguments that some of the Omark-haters used against Omark - it is ridiculous to use age and +/- as an argument to why a player shouldn't play in NHL)

Personally I hope that Omark does well and gets traded to another team where he can find success. I'm not so sure that it will happen though, could very well be that he stays in Europe for the rest of his career.

Ferros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2012, 10:12 PM
Senor Catface

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferros View Post
Using the logic but some people (no one mentioned ) Seguin must be a terrible player being a -6 (remember -2 makes you a bad NHLer that can't play in your own zone) in a league like the Swiss one. Spezza and Thornton also had "bad" +/- and look at their age! They should just stay in Europe, they're not good enough defensivley for players being in/past their peak. (before anyone actually thinks I'm serious, I'm just using the same arguments that some of the Omark-haters used against Omark - it is ridiculous to use age and +/- as an argument to why a player shouldn't play in NHL)

Personally I hope that Omark does well and gets traded to another team where he can find success. I'm not so sure that it will happen though, could very well be that he stays in Europe for the rest of his career.
Agreed.

Old
10-15-2012, 10:13 PM
Senor Catface

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booya42 View Post
Clearly Omark is the better player...
We should be fair to Boston and offer a one for one swap.

Old
10-15-2012, 10:14 PM
Qrispy

What's up with people wanting him to fail? That's just pathetic. I always thought he had top-6 offensive talent but his size and poor defense killed any chance with the Oilers.

Qrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2012, 10:21 PM
Soundwave

The only thing that grinds my gears about Omark not getting more games here last year is we finished second last anyway.

Might as well have given him some ice time to play here and turned him into a tradable asset. It's not like we were playing for anything.

Last edited by Soundwave: 10-15-2012 at 10:28 PM.
Soundwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2012, 10:27 PM
Oil Gauge

Quote:
Originally Posted by YakuBOT View Post
What's up with people wanting him to fail? That's just pathetic. I always thought he had top-6 offensive talent but his size and poor defense killed any chance with the Oilers.
I think its because of the Omark fan boys that flooded this forum when he played in Edmonton, they would continually claim he was god and that the Oilers weren't giving him chances and what not. They were so annoying, it soured me on Omark a bit.

Oil Gauge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2012, 10:37 PM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
That's impossible, wasn't he incredible defensively if you are to believe many Bruins fans?

10-15-2012, 11:08 PM
Seedling
Fan level 7?

Quote:
I think it just shows that the European game and systems are very different. It should not be surprising that some NHL players are not as effective in the short term as they are in the NHL. It should also not be surprising that European players or cast offs from the NHL that have been playing there for years are doing well.

To be honest, I think it is a harder transition from Europe to the NHL. These guys won't be behind guys like Omark for long. Remember Horcoff and him being an offensive juggernaut over there....The NHL guys will adjust.

Also, I really wonder if guys are just using it as a training camp until they know they will be there all hear. Why go full out if you have a big contract back in the NHL?

Seedling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2012, 11:21 PM
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
The only thing that grinds my gears about Omark not getting more games here last year is we finished second last anyway.

Might as well have given him some ice time to play here and turned him into a tradable asset. It's not like we were playing for anything.
Easily one of Renney's most mystifying decisions of last season, imo. We had every reason in the world to play Omark at the end, and we just didn't. No explanation.

That being said he was coming off a bad ankle injury. It wouldn't surprise me at all if Omark is closer to 100% now, than he was nearing the end of last season.

Personally, I'd like to see him destroy the Swiss league and catch the eye of an NHL scout who thinks he can improve their top 6. Just because he doesn't have a spot here doesn't mean he is valueless around the league. He could be a flashy scorer for a Southern team looking to put butts in seats.

s7ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2012, 01:42 AM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

vCash: 1026
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oil Gauge View Post
I think its because of the Omark fan boys that flooded this forum when he played in Edmonton, they would continually claim he was god and that the Oilers weren't giving him chances and what not. They were so annoying, it soured me on Omark a bit.
Exactly. I still hope the best for the guy, but I wanted him gone just so they would quit posting... And I was far from the only one that felt that way. Hell, if those people stopped posting I'm sure most people would gladly take him back (assuming he became BFF's with a 6'6 #2 C that would come and make up for his lack of size lol)

The Nuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2012, 01:56 AM
Oil Gauge

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nuge View Post
Exactly. I still hope the best for the guy, but I wanted him gone just so they would quit posting... And I was far from the only one that felt that way. Hell, if those people stopped posting I'm sure most people would gladly take him back (assuming he became BFF's with a 6'6 #2 C that would come and make up for his lack of size lol)
Exzachary

Oil Gauge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2012, 04:46 AM
harpoon
FOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oil Gauge View Post
I'll be sure to take your opinions with a grain of salt from now on then.

Who knows when you may be letting the enthusiasm of some poster here on hfoil (misguided or not) get in the way of appreciating and evaluating a player based on what he can do on the ice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nuge View Post
What an unpleasant post.

If you would take your Canada-centric goggles off for a second you might find that you could learn something from posters who have a different take on a player ... or shockingly, may actually know more about a particular player than you do.

Go Linus .... make folks like this eat crow please !

harpoon is offline   Reply With Quote