HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012-2013 Prospect Talk PART IV

Closed Thread

Old
10-12-2012, 08:35 PM
Degeneration Rex

vCash: 500
Friday
Notre Dame 1, Maine 0-Russo, 1 assist, + 1, Lee even.
Notre Dame plays Nebraska-Omaha , Saturday, 7:30 PM on NBC Sports Network.
Guelph 6, Erie 3-Pedan, even, Pelech, -1.
Calgary 5, Edmonton 4 (SO)-Reinhart, -1
Kamloops 5, Spokane 1-Kichton, even.

Last edited by Degeneration Rex: 10-13-2012 at 05:58 AM.
Old
10-12-2012, 09:03 PM
redbull
BeLIeve in miracles!

CAL-EDM (WHL version)

game on Sportsnet for those with access.

Griffin Reinhart looking really good out there, his team down 2-0 though.

He's so big and calm out there, he looks lazy at times (reminds me of Malakhov when he stopped caring). But he also looks like Pronger, but more offensive. Such size, skill, poise and smarts.

In a couple of years, if all goes well, he could be a very strong NHL player. I hope he can raise the intensity as he matures, not looking for another Wishart.

Old
10-13-2012, 06:01 AM
Degeneration Rex

WHL game Calgary vs Edmonton is being replayed 7 AM this morning and 7:30 tonight on NHL
Network.

Tonight on NBC Sports Network, 7:30 PM, live, Notre Dame vs Nebraska-Omaha.

Last edited by Degeneration Rex: 10-13-2012 at 06:27 AM.
Old
10-13-2012, 08:04 AM
kuwo

Ak Bars (Petrov) vs Lev (with Chára in the lineup)

http://onhockey.ru/index.php?place=c...&channel=11556

Old
10-13-2012, 10:07 AM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuwo View Post
Ak Bars (Petrov) vs Lev (with Chára in the lineup)

http://onhockey.ru/index.php?place=c...&channel=11556
Petrov's line just scored the 3-2 go-ahead goal with only 17 seconds left in the game.

Dunno if Petrov gets an assist, but they were attacking for a good 45 seconds before the puck finally found it's way into the net.

Old
10-13-2012, 10:11 AM
scott99

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbull View Post
game on Sportsnet for those with access.

Griffin Reinhart looking really good out there, his team down 2-0 though.

He's so big and calm out there, he looks lazy at times (reminds me of Malakhov when he stopped caring). But he also looks like Pronger, but more offensive. Such size, skill, poise and smarts.

In a couple of years, if all goes well, he could be a very strong NHL player. I hope he can raise the intensity as he matures, not looking for another Wishart.
Weird, I get the opposite opinion (just based on last night), to me, he looks slow, lumbering, easy to skate around, doesnt use his size (no physicality, uses his stick instead of hitting). Nothing he did last night impressed me, I'd be thrilled if he winds up being half as good as Pronger, no way is he more offensive than Pronger. To me, he reminds me of a thicker Ken Morrow, which is not a bad thing, but not worthy of a top 5 pick. This was based on last night, but I did mention during last years Memorial Cup, I wasn't impressed by Reinhart. On a side note, man did Samuelsson (Edmonton) look good last night. As did the speedy Curtis Lazar (Edmonton).

Old
10-13-2012, 11:09 AM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Ok, saw about 4 or 5 of Petrov's shifts (been working on the side) and I have to say that he looked strong on the puck and along the boards at times, but made a few turnovers along the way as well.

He skates differently than I thought he would. I think he's been working on that style. Kind of hunched, but with a straight back. In any case, he looked much more mobile than I expected he would. He can definitely play and he does have some hands, although I had the feeling that he thinks his skillset is a tad bit better than it is.

In any case, he was getting a regular shift and his line did a lot of good things. Unless he got an assist on the last goal, I don't think he had any points, but he may have been a plus player.

What seems interesting to me is that I simply see his game translating well to the North American ice surface. He likes to play along the boards and in the corners. He likes to rag the puck. He likes to throw his shoulders around and bump opponents with regularity. Again, he's mobile and simply looks like a better skater than I've thought he might be.

Ohh, and he was the right wing on his line.

Old
10-13-2012, 11:27 AM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott99 View Post
Weird, I get the opposite opinion (just based on last night), to me, he looks slow, lumbering, easy to skate around, doesnt use his size (no physicality, uses his stick instead of hitting). Nothing he did last night impressed me, I'd be thrilled if he winds up being half as good as Pronger, no way is he more offensive than Pronger. To me, he reminds me of a thicker Ken Morrow, which is not a bad thing, but not worthy of a top 5 pick. This was based on last night, but I did mention during last years Memorial Cup, I wasn't impressed by Reinhart. On a side note, man did Samuelsson (Edmonton) look good last night. As did the speedy Curtis Lazar (Edmonton).
Samuelsson has the genes, the Team USA experience and a good physical dimension to his game. I was not at all surprised to see Pheonix take him as a first rounder (although concensus was that he'd go somewhere between 40-90).

To date, some have expected more, but I think he's got that power game aspect that simply takes some time. He could be a real goodin' at some point. I'm thinking there's good reason to believe he'll be a Callahan type one day in the NHL.

As for Reinhart, I've hardly seen him play, but I always fear the 'Wishart' possibility when it comes to tall, lesser physical WHL Dmen. Always. And yes, until he turns into a bruiser, I will have my worries. Chris Pronger, for example, first really started making an impact when his physical edge and take-no-prisoners game developed.

I was very OK with our picking him 4th though, because he too has the genes, is obviously respected from a leadership perspective and simply possesses certain physical attributes that, uhh, can't be taught, but only inherited. He also was a cog in Edmonton's WHL championship and run to the Memorial Cup. In addition, I talked to several scouts last spring at the U18 tourney who expressed that at least they felt he might be the best all-round Dman available in the draft and also felt the need to point out that he was likely higher on all NHL team lists than we'd be seeing on ISS, CSS or TSN.

This said, I have fully come into this season, looking at his team's line-up and his experience to date, thinking that he should be having a Dougie Hamilton type of impact. That's not what we're seeing right now.

Someone asked me in early September what I expected of him this year. At the time, I said
65 games, 15-40-55, 50 PMs and a +30 rating and another WHL title. I did however also mention that I did not expect to see him suiting up for Team Canada at the WJC in Ufa (where I still hope to be).

Old
10-13-2012, 11:53 AM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Interesting:
Last night, Justin Dibenedetto's (scored a goal) Vienna lost to Tony Romano's (scored a goal) Salzburg.

Good stuff...

Old
10-13-2012, 12:16 PM
PWJunior
Beware the POOP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapin Landvogt View Post
Samuelsson has the genes, the Team USA experience and a good physical dimension to his game. I was not at all surprised to see Pheonix take him as a first rounder (although concensus was that he'd go somewhere between 40-90).

To date, some have expected more, but I think he's got that power game aspect that simply takes some time. He could be a real goodin' at some point. I'm thinking there's good reason to believe he'll be a Callahan type one day in the NHL.

As for Reinhart, I've hardly seen him play, but I always fear the 'Wishart' possibility when it comes to tall, lesser physical WHL Dmen. Always. And yes, until he turns into a bruiser, I will have my worries. Chris Pronger, for example, first really started making an impact when his physical edge and take-no-prisoners game developed.

I was very OK with our picking him 4th though, because he too has the genes, is obviously respected from a leadership perspective and simply possesses certain physical attributes that, uhh, can't be taught, but only inherited. He also was a cog in Edmonton's WHL championship and run to the Memorial Cup. In addition, I talked to several scouts last spring at the U18 tourney who expressed that at least they felt he might be the best all-round Dman available in the draft and also felt the need to point out that he was likely higher on all NHL team lists than we'd be seeing on ISS, CSS or TSN.

This said, I have fully come into this season, looking at his team's line-up and his experience to date, thinking that he should be having a Dougie Hamilton type of impact. That's not what we're seeing right now.

Someone asked me in early September what I expected of him this year. At the time, I said
65 games, 15-40-55, 50 PMs and a +30 rating and another WHL title. I did however also mention that I did not expect to see him suiting up for Team Canada at the WJC in Ufa (where I still hope to be).
It's all about expectations, I am just looking for Reinhart to continue to improve in all facets throughout the season. The kid has a package of tools that is really impressive and he was a progression pick. While it would be nice if he put up those type of numbers now, I am in no rush with him. Defenseman usually take longer to develop anyway, especially big ones like him.

I think he's definitely on the short list for Team Canada and a virtual lock to make the team. If you look at the projected blue line, there is no one else that brings his skillset and package available. With Strome and Reinhart with Pelech a darkhorse, it should be a really exciting WJC for Isles fans.

Old
10-13-2012, 12:37 PM
maplehawk
HFB Partner

just stopping in to say reinhart looked really good last night. his ability to stand up at the line and keep pucks in is amazing to watch.

for being such a large kid, he relies heavily on nice stick work to poke pucks away/keep guys to the outside which isn't a bad thing. i see people saying "he's so big, but he doesn't use his size"...what does it matter? a nice poke with the stick is just as effective and can more easily start a counter attack the other way. also worth noting is that he DOES use his size if he's out of other options - it's not as if he's afraid of contact.

his offensive game seemed pretty straight forward - either fire it from the point or send it back deep. not a whole lot of creativity but im not sure that's what he was drafted for anyway.

Old
10-13-2012, 01:29 PM
Degeneration Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWJunior View Post
It's all about expectations, I am just looking for Reinhart to continue to improve in all facets throughout the season. The kid has a package of tools that is really impressive and he was a progression pick. While it would be nice if he put up those type of numbers now, I am in no rush with him. Defenseman usually take longer to develop anyway, especially big ones like him.

I think he's definitely on the short list for Team Canada and a virtual lock to make the team. If you look at the projected blue line, there is no one else that brings his skillset and package available. With Strome and Reinhart with Pelech a darkhorse, it should be a really exciting WJC for Isles fans.
Ville Pokka should play for Finland.

Old
10-13-2012, 03:44 PM
StumpNYI

Quote:
Originally Posted by maplehawk View Post
just stopping in to say reinhart looked really good last night. his ability to stand up at the line and keep pucks in is amazing to watch.

for being such a large kid, he relies heavily on nice stick work to poke pucks away/keep guys to the outside which isn't a bad thing. i see people saying "he's so big, but he doesn't use his size"...what does it matter? a nice poke with the stick is just as effective and can more easily start a counter attack the other way. also worth noting is that he DOES use his size if he's out of other options - it's not as if he's afraid of contact.

his offensive game seemed pretty straight forward - either fire it from the point or send it back deep. not a whole lot of creativity but im not sure that's what he was drafted for anyway.
Thanks for the info. He is the one high profile Isles prospect I have yet to see much of. I saw him in the Memorial Cup before we drafted him and he didn't stand out. I think NHL Netork is replaying his game tonight. I will be recording it. Good to hear he is playing good d.

Old
10-13-2012, 07:10 PM
islesfan3991

Send a message via Yahoo to islesfan3991
Good start so far for Anders Lee tonight. Has a goal and an assist in the Notre Dame game against Nebraska-Omaha in the first period.

Old
10-13-2012, 07:39 PM
scott99

Quote:
Originally Posted by islesfan3991 View Post
Good start so far for Anders Lee tonight. Has a goal and an assist in the Notre Dame game against Nebraska-Omaha in the first period.
And he had an assist in last night's 1-0 win, off to a good start. We need to sign him the minute his season ends. Big, strong, great hands.

Also, props to Snow for taking a chance on Lee !

Old
10-13-2012, 08:29 PM
Degeneration Rex

Saturday
Sarnia 4, Niagara 3 (OT)-Strome, 1 goal, 1 assist, Theoret, 1 goal 1 assist.
Mississauga 4, Erie 3-Pelech, 1 goal.
Notre Dame 3, Nebraska-Omaha 2-Lee, 1 goal, 1 assist, + 2, Russo, +1. Lee Wins Ice Breaker Tournament MVP.
Spokane 5, Vancouver 2-Kichton, 1 goal.

Last edited by Degeneration Rex: 10-14-2012 at 07:05 AM.
Old
10-13-2012, 08:31 PM
scott99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Degeneration Rex View Post
Saturday
Sarnia 4, Niagara 3 (OT)-Strome, 1 goal, 1 assist, Theoret, 1 goal 1 assist.
Mississauga 4, Erie 3-Pelech, 1 goal.
Niagara sure does stink this year. Erie continues its awful play from last year.

Old
10-14-2012, 02:05 PM
Kvashinator12

Send a message via AIM to Kvashinator12
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott99 View Post
And he had an assist in last night's 1-0 win, off to a good start. We need to sign him the minute his season ends. Big, strong, great hands.

Also, props to Snow for taking a chance on Lee !
lee dropped off tremendously after a hot start, I am far from sold on him

Old
10-14-2012, 02:57 PM
scott99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kvashinator12 View Post
lee dropped off tremendously after a hot start, I am far from sold on him
He still wound up with a very solid Sophomore season, and looks very good as a junior so far. What I love about him besides the obvious size and strength, is that he has a goal scorers quick release. Could have easily scored several goals last night if it wasn't for amazing goaltending by Stolarz.

Old
10-14-2012, 04:10 PM
Degeneration Rex

Sunday
Guelph 7, Peterborough 6 (OT)-Pedan, even.
Niagara 4, Windsor 3 (SO)-Strome 1 goal, Theoret 1 goal, Graham 1 assist.
Bathurst 5, Cape Breton 2-Leduc, even.
Kootenay 1, Edmonton 0-Reinhart, even.

Last edited by Degeneration Rex: 10-14-2012 at 10:22 PM.
Old
10-14-2012, 09:24 PM
islandermaniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWJunior View Post

a lock? so the nhl will be underway by christmas?

Old
10-15-2012, 07:08 PM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

http://islanders.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=641944

For my taste, only Kichton and Pelech are doing anything worth noting on this list.

Old
10-15-2012, 08:35 PM
leaponover

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandermaniac View Post
a lock? so the nhl will be underway by christmas?
I don't think he's talking about a lock for an NHL spot...

Old
10-16-2012, 09:00 AM
blinkman360
Back to Basics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapin Landvogt View Post
http://islanders.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=641944

For my taste, only Kichton and Pelech are doing anything worth noting on this list.
I don't understand? Most on that list are defensemen, and most of the defensemen on that list weren't drafted by us to put up points. I suppose Graham should be, but honestly, we are so deep at defense that it really doesn't matter, IMO.

Aside from that, Mayfield hasn't even played a game yet, and Lee and Russo have only played in two(in which Lee has 2 points).

I know you have higher expectations for Strome, but he's still on pace to have a big year. Maybe not as big as you'd like, but it is still very early in the year. A lot can change. IMO, this kid is a tremendous prospect who's going to be a great NHLer. Regardless of whether or not he plays with Tavares or centers his own line. He has the talent, smarts and the work ethic to be great... at this point, he should really be the last prospect we worry about.

Old
10-16-2012, 09:24 AM
scott99

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkman360 View Post
I don't understand? Most on that list are defensemen, and most of the defensemen on that list weren't drafted by us to put up points. I suppose Graham should be, but honestly, we are so deep at defense that it really doesn't matter, IMO.

Aside from that, Mayfield hasn't even played a game yet, and Lee and Russo have only played in two(in which Lee has 2 points).

I know you have higher expectations for Strome, but he's still on pace to have a big year. Maybe not as big as you'd like, but it is still very early in the year. A lot can change. IMO, this kid is a tremendous prospect who's going to be a great NHLer. Regardless of whether or not he plays with Tavares or centers his own line. He has the talent, smarts and the work ethic to be great... at this point, he should really be the last prospect we worry about.
Agree with everything you said, just didn't know how to say it as eloquently as you without showing anger to the OP who obviously was trying to get a response. Not only is Strome playing well, he's doing as well as possible on obviously a bad team. He is the least of my worries, and I can't wait to see him in an Isle's uni (next season). Very excited about Mayfield, Pedan, Pelech, Pokka and Reinhart.

Closed Thread