HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sat Nov 3, Support Local Business (Lockout Related)

Old
10-16-2012, 09:14 AM
njdevil26

vCash: 500
Sat Nov 3, Support Local Business (Lockout Related)

Posted this on the main page... hope everyone here can spread the word:

A fellow Devils fan (Speak of the Devs) had this idea:

Maybe the most simple way to sum up the lockout is with the words "damn shame."
Regardless of the sport itself... I'm sure each and every one of us know a small business owner that is going to suffer because of the lack of business. This is especially apparent in Newark, NJ. The area around the arena was a wasteland in the middle of the ghetto. Now it has a brand new state of the art arena with 6 or 7 restaurant/bar establishments, a brand new apartment complex, and a brand new Marriot hotel..... (and is still in the middle of the ghetto). While the NHL and NHLPA bicker and dance around the issues... seemingly both sides not wanting to bother with an agreement... we should all take a night and pretend we are heading to a game.

Instead of heading into the arena, do a bar crawl with your friends... go have a drink at a few places... or simply pick one place and have dinner and a few drinks... Anything helps. We count on these establishments being there for us during the season and the playoffs to provide us with beer and food at a third the price that we would pay in the arena.... just as much as they count on us showing up. These people have families to support, mortgages to pay, and lives to protect.

We wanted to (as Devil fans) start out Sat Nov 3rd... but I hope fans from each team can reach out to their message boards, make a Facebook group... and get something going.

http://www.facebook.com/NHLFansNightOut <~~~ that's the Devils event page for Devil fans...

Anyway... I hope this idea is well received or at least sparks some discussion.

Last edited by njdevil26: 10-16-2012 at 11:38 AM.
njdevil26 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2012, 09:30 AM
MartyOwns
NYRB!!!2013********33333

a nice idea, but i dont think it's move the bottom line that much. a better, more unrealistic idea would be getting every single season ticket holder (in america, im sure canada would never go along) to cancel theirs. we would have a new deal within a week

MartyOwns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2012, 09:36 AM
njdevil26

I know that's the better solution... but for this instance... I just think this is a nice idea. We aren't going to help their bottom line...and we aren't going to save any establishment that may be on the brink of closing. I just think it's something we should do to show some support. The establishments around Prudential Center need it more than most if not all NHL cities. At least to show we support them and care.

Old
10-16-2012, 09:37 AM
manilaNJ
Optimism: Unwavering

But this idea isn't about getting a deal done.
It's about making sure that local bars/stores/etc that rely on games to bring in money don't suffer more than they have to during the lockout.

manilaNJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2012, 09:49 AM
njdevil26

Quote:
Originally Posted by manilaNJ View Post
It's about making sure that local bars/stores/etc that rely on games to bring in money don't suffer more than they have to during the lockout.
Absolutely. It's a nice gesture.

Old
10-16-2012, 09:52 AM
Silence Of The Plams
All these feels

Very nice thing to do. Ill see if I can get it to NYR and Buffalo. will probably have a bite at Pearl Street more frequently(Place across from FNC) and while im in NJ go somewhere near PC. Then the pub near MSG on 33rd lol

Silence Of The Plams is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2012, 10:24 AM
MartyOwns
NYRB!!!2013********33333

Quote:
i understand that, and it IS a nice idea...but if you really want to help them out, end the lockout. otherwise, your dollars spent there doing a 'bar crawl' will be used as a safety device holding heads above water for another 1/2 hour or so. just my opinion.

Old
10-16-2012, 10:25 AM
Cowbell232

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyOwns View Post
i understand that, and it IS a nice idea...but if you really want to help them out, end the lockout. otherwise, your dollars spent there doing a 'bar crawl' will be used as a safety device holding heads above water for another 1/2 hour or so. just my opinion.
Something > nothing.

That being said, I'm a big supporter of this...

Old
10-16-2012, 10:31 AM
manilaNJ
Optimism: Unwavering

The thing is, though, is that too many people expect one big solution to end problems than a bunch of little things.

Be it helping out local business, ending the lockout, world peace, whatever.

If it isn't one huge, perfect ideal... people smack it down and say "oh that won't do anything. drop in the bucket."

Every little thing is one step closer to whatever the end goal is. Why not? At the very least, it can't hurt.

manilaNJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2012, 10:33 AM
Cowbell232

Plus there are a lot of people that I only see at Devils games. We're friends of some sort, but have little else in common besides going to hockey games and sitting near each other or that kind of thing. I don't ever see them other wise, so this gives me a chance to do that too. It's not completely unselfish...

Cowbell232 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2012, 10:34 AM
onefatsurfer
I speak in code

selyar and i are possibly in depending on what time it's at.

onefatsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2012, 10:35 AM
onefatsurfer
I speak in code

Quote:
The thing is, though, is that too many people expect one big solution to end problems than a bunch of little things.

If it isn't one huge, perfect ideal... people smack it down and say "oh that won't do anything. drop in the bucket."

Every little thing is one step closer to whatever the end goal is. Why not? At the very least, it can't hurt.
i am quoting this so hopefully people will read it again. very true words.

onefatsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2012, 10:35 AM
selyar
Need cupcakes?

my sister's baby shower is that afternoon, but i'd be totally down for dinner or drinks later on

selyar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2012, 10:56 AM
njdevil26

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyOwns View Post
You're looking at this in too complex of a fashion. We aren't ending the lockout... we aren't saving businesses. I'm sure we call go out to eat once or twice a week in most cases. So on this particular day, just go to Newark. Even it's just to put a smile on the face of the business owner seeing their loyal hockey season patrons show up during a lockout to show support. Gesture.

Old
10-16-2012, 11:36 AM
Ilkka Pikachu

Get drunk while supporting local business, why not?

There is no reason why you shouldn't all do this

Ilkka Pikachu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2012, 12:22 PM
daveskirtun
:o)

vCash: 920
I'll be in Manhattan for most of the day, but I'm going to try and shoot over.

daveskirtun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2012, 12:29 PM
selyar
Need cupcakes?

if things go well, we might actually have a game that night.. but i'm not getting my hopes up

selyar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2012, 12:57 PM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Send a message via AIM to Saugus
If it were a reasonable distance for me to travel, I would definitely go.

Saugus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2012, 01:35 PM
Devils Dominion
Spend Harris' $ Lou

I've been to Edison Ale House, Dino BBQ and Loft 47 quite a few times since last June.

It's a great idea. Spread the word.

**FYI Edison Ale House will be open from 4-11pm on Saturday November 3.

Last edited by Devils Dominion: 10-16-2012 at 04:21 PM. Reason: Edited, knock that crap off you two.
Devils Dominion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2012, 08:18 PM
BrodeursCups
Zajac flat out sucks

Send a message via AIM to BrodeursCups
I'd be down for this on Novemeber 3rd. I've wanted to get to Hell's and the Ale house lately.

I went to Hell's on a Saturday night about 6 weeks ago and the place was dead. It was sad knowing that's what it'll be like all the time without the Devs..

I'll get there for bar hopping around 6ish.

BrodeursCups is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2012, 09:08 AM
MartyOwns
NYRB!!!2013********33333

Quote:

agree to disagree. a great notion, and perhaps im too jaded and thats the problem. in any case, hopefully this will be resolved within the next few weeks and this who thing will be irrelevant.

for what its worth, and I think this analogy is apt, I would LOVE to do my shopping at mom and pop stores as opposed to target or wal mart. but would it really make a difference? if I spent $20 at a mom and pop store instead of wal mart, all im doing is ensuring another day before they eventually close up shop. mom and pop stores= more expensive, and theres nothing they can do about it the way business is structured in this country at the moment.

I have 2 separate charities taking money from me every monthÖbut I donít expect is to Ďdoí anything. itís a drop in the bucket. im not solving world hunger, or coming anywhere close to it. thatís for governments to do, and they wonít.

my point is- thereís always going to be an entity at the end of the road that will block you. be it government, wal-mart, or the board of governors. THEY are the ones who can throw the switch. the fallacy is that we little people can make a difference. sure, theres a mom and pop store that thrives somewhere in this country. but not for long. there are always exceptions to the rule. but all that does is prove the rule.

I got super ****ed up before work today for the first time in ever, so scuse the rambling. did that make sense? anyway, donít give your shoes to a mom and pop store, because they will steal them and move to Parsippany.