HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

The lockout thread

Closed Thread

Old
10-13-2012, 12:25 PM
The Tikkanen
Pest

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
The consensus is New Years Day but I'm not seeing it. I still don't see a reason for either side to budge.

Old
10-13-2012, 12:38 PM
KingsFan7824

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikkanen View Post
The consensus is New Years Day but I'm not seeing it. I still don't see a reason for either side to budge.
In 2014 maybe.

Old
10-13-2012, 03:15 PM
The Tikkanen
Pest

Who's the first NHL player to file bankruptcy? No checks for awhile for some of these guys.

Old
10-13-2012, 03:20 PM
Fishhead

Quote:
Who's the first NHL player to file bankruptcy? No checks for awhile for some of these guys.
Byfuglien could always pick up a job as an NFL lineman.

Old
10-13-2012, 09:59 PM
no name

Quote:
The NHL made record profit last year according to ESPN. They made that profit by drastically rolling back players salries last time. Players can't continue to become *****es for the owners. There has to be some sort of concessions made but if the owners really think the players should concede another 7% after the owners truned 3.3 billion in revenue then they are full of it.

Old
10-13-2012, 10:20 PM
Chazz Reinhold

Quote:
Originally Posted by no name View Post
The NHL made record profit last year according to ESPN. They made that profit by drastically rolling back players salries last time. Players can't continue to become *****es for the owners. There has to be some sort of concessions made but if the owners really think the players should concede another 7% after the owners truned 3.3 billion in revenue then they are full of it.
Revenue does not equal profit. If the system worked out so badly for the players, why do they not want to move from it? They won't accept a penny less.

Old
10-13-2012, 11:39 PM
no name

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chazz Reinhold View Post
Revenue does not equal profit. If the system worked out so badly for the players, why do they not want to move from it? They won't accept a penny less.
Revenue should equal profit, but the NHL is run by idiot owners and an idiot commisioner. Now due to the aforementioned mismanagement of a sport they are looking to make the players pay, again. The players are not innocent here but you would be stubborn after just years ago they made unprecidented concessions and now are asked to continue to do so.

Old
10-14-2012, 05:23 AM
Minor Boarding

Quote:
Revenue should equal profit, but the NHL is run by idiot owners and an idiot commisioner. Now due to the aforementioned mismanagement of a sport they are looking to make the players pay, again. The players are not innocent here but you would be stubborn after just years ago they made unprecidented concessions and now are asked to continue to do so.
Que?
That was funny. There still is this thing known as costs. And if the costs are greater then the revenue incomes well - you are losing money...

And nowhere in the world does revenue equal profit ...

Old
10-14-2012, 12:05 PM
The Tikkanen
Pest

And while I see the owners argument if the players accept this deal it sets the precedent that each time the CBA expires they are to take less money. You just cannot do that if you're the NHLPA. You cannot continue to take less and less money each time you come to the bargaining table. Thus, I don't think there will be a season. The people with the money don't need to budge and the workers cannot accept the deal they've been offered. Then factor in the elite talent have taken off to Europe to show their solidarity. If stories start to surface about the depth players starting to go broke this thing will get even messier as the owners know they can afford to stand pat. The owners are like the auto mechanic in Vacation-"all of it boy".

Old
10-14-2012, 08:07 PM
no name

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minor Boarding View Post
Que?
That was funny. There still is this thing known as costs. And if the costs are greater then the revenue incomes well - you are losing money...

And nowhere in the world does revenue equal profit ...
The NHL is not a start up company. If a company has a good business plan coupled with a large revenue stream your company will profit. The owners have shot themselves in the foot over and again. They have had to correct their mistakes by making the players roll back 20% of their salaries. They lose a ton of exposure and cash by losing ESPN. By losing ESPN they lost 15% profit in their NHL packages. I don't even know the exposure numbers that are hitting them in the pocket.

Trust me, I'm no idiot in the business world. I was a business major, have had 3 successful companies in the music business since age 22 and am currently the lead union rep for at&t. Nevermind me running a 1200 person call center for jp Morgan chase.

The nhl has been the book on how to not operate a sports league.

Old
10-14-2012, 08:14 PM
damacles1156

Quote:
The NHL is not a start up company. If a company has a good business plan coupled with a large revenue stream your company will profit. The owners have shot themselves in the foot over and again. They have had to correct their mistakes by making the players roll back 20% of their salaries. They lose a ton of exposure and cash by losing ESPN. By losing ESPN they lost 15% profit in their NHL packages. I don't even know the exposure numbers that are hitting them in the pocket.

Trust me, I'm no idiot in the business world. I was a business major, have had 3 successful companies in the music business since age 22 and am currently the lead union rep for at&t. Nevermind me running a 1200 person call center for jp Morgan chase.

The nhl has been the book on how to not operate a sports league.
ESPN would of dropped the NHL regardless of the last lackout. ESPN was looking for an out long before the last lockout happened.

The NHL is not a ratings winner (never will be in the states) it's a gate Driven league (always will be in the states).

But you are correct in that the NHL as a whole, is a poorly run league.

Last edited by damacles1156: 10-14-2012 at 08:20 PM.
Old
10-14-2012, 09:17 PM
no name

Quote:
Originally Posted by damacles1156 View Post
ESPN would of dropped the NHL regardless of the last lackout. ESPN was looking for an out long before the last lockout happened.

The NHL is not a ratings winner (never will be in the states) it's a gate Driven league (always will be in the states).

But you are correct in that the NHL as a whole, is a poorly run league.
That's correct but the reason they were going to be dropped was because of the poor campaign in marketing to the states. ESPN is itching to get hockey as shown by them picking up the khl. I honk some of that is sticking it to bettman and the NHL.

Old
10-14-2012, 11:16 PM
Chazz Reinhold

Old
10-15-2012, 12:47 AM
damacles1156

Quote:
That's correct but the reason they were going to be dropped was because of the poor campaign in marketing to the states. ESPN is itching to get hockey as shown by them picking up the khl. I honk some of that is sticking it to bettman and the NHL.
That has more to do with the Russian Oil industry pouring money into ESPN's pocket(to stick it to the NHL). ESPN is not paying a single penny to air any of those KHL games.

ESPN has zero respect for Hockey, They don't want anything to do with it. It doesn't make money.

Hockey will never ever again have any relevance on ESPN, Not in our lifetime.

It has nothing to do with Bettman , people give that guy way too much credit. Bettman is not responsible for any success the NHL has or will have. He is also not responsible for any of the screw ups the NHL continues to make, the guy is the Owners mouth piece.

He is not even on the same planet as Roger Goodell, and that's saying something. Cause Goodell is not even that great either.

Last edited by damacles1156: 10-15-2012 at 12:57 AM.
Old
10-16-2012, 11:12 AM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 3578
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Bernier talks about his trade request, Germany, and his future:

http://mayorsmanor.com/2012/10/berni...ng-in-germany/

“Every good army needs a couple of criminals.” - Dean Lombardi
Old
10-16-2012, 11:53 AM
Jason Lewis
Hockey's Future Staff

Hold on to your hats boys.

League just made a 50/50 split offer with no rollbacks.

Old
10-16-2012, 11:55 AM
Chazz Reinhold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Lewis View Post
Hold on to your hats boys.

League just made a 50/50 split offer with no rollbacks.
I'm not a business guy, but how is going from 57 to 50 not a rollback?

Old
10-16-2012, 11:57 AM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Must be over the course of several years.

Old
10-16-2012, 11:57 AM
Jason Lewis
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Bettman wouldn't go into detail on the escrow.

here it is from the Mayor

https://twitter.com/mayorNHL/status/258247251581865984

Old
10-16-2012, 12:14 PM
scramble91

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGS17 View Post
Must be over the course of several years.
Regardless of what they put forth, at least they are trying. The players have yet to put a proposal on the table. If Fehr comes out and flat out rejects it, I would say that the season is lost.

Old
10-16-2012, 12:19 PM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telos View Post
Bernier talks about his trade request, Germany, and his future:

http://mayorsmanor.com/2012/10/berni...ng-in-germany/
Thanks for posting... seems to have a good attitude and you really can't disagree with him wanting to get an opportunity. If and when the Kings play again, they'll probably play him a bit more to showcase him so they can get good value out of him.

Old
10-16-2012, 12:19 PM
Jason Lewis
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by scramble91 View Post
Regardless of what they put forth, at least they are trying. The players have yet to put a proposal on the table. If Fehr comes out and flat out rejects it, I would say that the season is lost.
Fehr seemed VERY VERY hesitant in his presser just now. Dare I say I am optimistic?

NHLPA is calling a meeting at 5pm EST to discuss. Basically Bettman said we have 10 days to get this thing done contingent on a season starting on Nov. 2nd.

Old
10-16-2012, 12:20 PM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

Quote:
Originally Posted by scramble91 View Post
THere is this...

Is a “radically different” proposal from the players on the way?

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2...rs-on-the-way/

By radically different, do they mean asking for more money? That should get the deal done!

Old
10-16-2012, 12:21 PM
Martyros

things are looking up, but we shouldn't be having an 82 game season starting a month late....(if i read that correctly) Kings would play over 15 games on the road in a row in February...

Old
10-16-2012, 12:22 PM
scramble91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Lewis View Post
Fehr seemed VERY VERY hesitant in his presser just now. Dare I say I am optimistic?

NHLPA is calling a meeting at 5pm EST to discuss. Basically Bettman said we have 10 days to get this thing done contingent on a season starting on Nov. 2nd.
Yea I just read the same thing. The pa needs to be cautious with their response. Hopefully it's a good sign!!

Closed Thread