Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Minnesota Wild
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

HF's Top 50 - Fall 2012

Old
10-12-2012, 04:58 PM
forthewild

vCash: 500
Brodin is below no one when it comes to potential, we just paid Ryan suter 98 million dollars over 14 years and he has been a 40ish point dman, brodin has the ability to surpassed that his skating is world class and so is his IQ.

You want to say potential and downgrade brodin you have no clue what you are talking about, brodins potential is equal if not higher then granlunds.

forthewild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2012, 06:07 PM
TZM
Par too easy

Potential and value isn't the same thing. Brodin is great value but doesn't hold so much potential as already mentioned players possess.

TZM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2012, 06:07 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

vCash: 50
Brodin already has elite qualities, and while Dumba has the will and work ethic to bump himself up another level. I'd say Dumba has the potential to be as good as Brodin's projection, but Brodin has the potential to be an elite defender. One of the main reasons he'd be in NA this year regardless of making the NHL club or not was because the wild felt he wasn't even getting the chance to explore a more offensive game; they're fully confident it's there.

rynryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2012, 06:31 PM
forthewild

Quote:
Originally Posted by TZM View Post
Potential and value isn't the same thing. Brodin is great value but doesn't hold so much potential as already mentioned players possess.
Brodin's potential is a Hall of Fame elite level defensman who you build a team around, if he develops his offensive game and puts up 40+ points at the low spectrum which won't be hard for him given his tools, (vision, skating, his first pass, his IQ) he has the chance to be a franchise guy.

people need to drop this he doesn't have potential horse ****, Brodin is head and shoulders above everyone except granlund who'm he's on equal footing with at worst.

at age 17 as a Dman he played against men in the playoffs, he has shown his abilities at every level, all but insane offensive numbers.

seriously this kid is just crazy good, dumba might have the flash but he doesn't have brodins skill.

when people say he doesn't hold as much potential it irks me to hell, who has more potential then him aside from maybe Granlund? who has the potential to be a top echelon dman in the legue? people scour the stats and see he isn't lighting it up and mark him as a scrub or some 2nd pairing guy, he is going to be the backbone of MN for a long time.

Old
10-12-2012, 06:46 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

I just think their skill sets compliment each other so well. not even necessarily as partners but as covering all aspects of D at an extremely high level in any situation the team finds itself in...one of them will be the answer.

Old
10-12-2012, 06:52 PM
Randy BoBandy
Cheeseburger Party

Quote:
Originally Posted by forthewild View Post
Brodin's potential is a Hall of Fame elite level defensman
Wow

Randy BoBandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2012, 08:20 PM
Generic User
Dynamic as they come

Quote:
Brodin's potential is a Hall of Fame elite level defensman

Don't go posting that in another forum, ya hear?

Generic User is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2012, 08:42 PM
forthewild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Generic User View Post

Don't go posting that in another forum, ya hear?
don't worry i know he's a wild prospect and all...

still tho, kid has amazing skill set, whether or not he gets there is the question, i think he can make it to the elite level, won't be flashy but will be everything a team needs

Old
10-13-2012, 02:26 AM
TZM
Par too easy

Quote:
don't worry i know he's a wild prospect and all...

still tho, kid has amazing skill set, whether or not he gets there is the question, i think he can make it to the elite level, won't be flashy but will be everything a team needs
That's what I mean with the value talk. He is what every team need but still doesn't have the overall potential that some of Wild prospect do. Yes he can become an elite defenseman guy but his value now is in his skating and own end passes. He has to improve his offensive game if he wants to have an elite status.

TZM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2012, 01:17 PM
Beegoalie

Quote:
Brodin's potential is a Hall of Fame elite level defensman who you build a team around, if he develops his offensive game and puts up 40+ points at the low spectrum which won't be hard for him given his tools, (vision, skating, his first pass, his IQ) he has the chance to be a franchise guy.

people need to drop this he doesn't have potential horse ****, Brodin is head and shoulders above everyone except granlund who'm he's on equal footing with at worst.

at age 17 as a Dman he played against men in the playoffs, he has shown his abilities at every level, all but insane offensive numbers.

seriously this kid is just crazy good, dumba might have the flash but he doesn't have brodins skill.

when people say he doesn't hold as much potential it irks me to hell, who has more potential then him aside from maybe Granlund? who has the potential to be a top echelon dman in the legue? people scour the stats and see he isn't lighting it up and mark him as a scrub or some 2nd pairing guy, he is going to be the backbone of MN for a long time.
Oh man..Dumba could POTENTIALLY be a 50-60 point guy in the NHL. Brodin will never be that. Will he be a minute munching top pairing guy who can reach 40 points. I sure as hell hope so as I am, like you, a huge Brodin fan.

But Granlund, Dumba and Coyle all have POTENTIAL as NHL allstars one day.

Nobody is saying Brodin isn't a great prospect and IMO he is our second best prospect but his POTENTIAL is lower of that than Granlund, Dumba and Coyle IMO

Beegoalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2012, 01:22 PM
Beegoalie

^^want to add on my previous post with saying I love Brodin. I don't want anyone thinking I'm a Brodin hater because he is not only my second ranked but my favorite Wild prospect. Im just saying that the ceilings of those other 3 prospects is higher because of the raw ability of the 3.

In reality probably 1 or maybe 2 out of the 3 will become that potential and id say theres a 90percent chance that Brodin reaches his potential as a top 4 minute munching puck mover that can be a staple on this blue line for 5-10 years.

Thats all I was saying..

Old
10-13-2012, 02:31 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

i think you're way off beegoalie.
his projection is top pairing (not top 4) defenseman. that means it will be disappointing and surprising if he doesn't make it. his potential is to be a number one all purpose D. Dumba is a lot more up in the air.

Old
10-13-2012, 02:39 PM
Nsjohnson

Quote:
Originally Posted by rynryn View Post
his projection is top pairing (not top 4) defenseman. that means it will be disappointing and surprising if he doesn't make it. his potential is to be a number one all purpose D. Dumba is a lot more up in the air.

Agreed. Brodin should be the second best defensemen on our team in a short time. If he isn't, I think that he isn't quite living up to what he could be.

Nsjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2012, 05:23 PM
nickschultzfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beegoalie View Post
I think he's a 20-25 goal 30-35 assist guy down the road...I just love a player with his skill set and skating ability+the fact that he is 6'3 222 makes it a lock he will do fine in the NHL IMO.

Like someone else said..if he is a 25 goal scorer 50 point guy and can impact the game with his size and skill down low then ill take that everyday of the week.

My question for you is if you predict him a 25-25 guy and you rank him BELOW those other players on their ceilings?? What are you projections for Phillips, Larsson and Zucker.

I only have Granlund and Dumba with higher ceilings. I think we know what we are getting with Brodin but his offensive potential puts him a notch below Coyle's overall potential IMO
I am talking ceiling, not likelihood or probability. There are legitimate arguments that Zucker could be a 40 goal sniper, larsson a 70-point two-way forwards, and Phillips a ppg center.

nickschultzfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2012, 07:01 PM
Beegoalie

Quote:

I hope your right..and by up in the air what do you mean??

I think most people agree Dumba's POTENTIAL is that of a top 2 defenseman who can electrify a game..like Dion Phaneuf type.

I really hope Brodin turns out to be a top pairing guy but to be a good one in this league you need to provide a solid 30+ points from the back end and so far he hasn't proved he will be that guy.

Im not ripping on the kid cause I want him to be the guy you all do. Im just waiting to find out if it will actually happen.

Putting together a solid first AHL campaign that sees him score some points would be a step in the right direction for Brodin.

Old
10-13-2012, 07:05 PM
Beegoalie

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickschultzfan View Post
I am talking ceiling, not likelihood or probability. There are legitimate arguments that Zucker could be a 40 goal sniper, larsson a 70-point two-way forwards, and Phillips a ppg center.
I must have misunderstood. As for ceilings your right but those are VERY unlikely..

Old
10-13-2012, 07:45 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beegoalie View Post
I hope your right..and by up in the air what do you mean??

I think most people agree Dumba's POTENTIAL is that of a top 2 defenseman who can electrify a game..like Dion Phaneuf type.

I really hope Brodin turns out to be a top pairing guy but to be a good one in this league you need to provide a solid 30+ points from the back end and so far he hasn't proved he will be that guy.

Im not ripping on the kid cause I want him to be the guy you all do. Im just waiting to find out if it will actually happen.

Putting together a solid first AHL campaign that sees him score some points would be a step in the right direction for Brodin.
Up in the air as in he could either be a situational player and pp anchor or a top minute all situation guy. Depending on his decision making, which is his knock. If Brodin is playing top pairing minutes with a nice top line like the Wild look like they'll field for quite a while, he's going to end up with 30 points.

Dumba's biggest questionmark is his capacity to read the ice and/or react appropriately. He isn't going to earn top minutes if he's constantly creating two on one's against by being out of position.

Old
10-15-2012, 06:45 PM
Victorious Secret
Dr. Chuck Evil

vCash: 16145
Bad list is bad. I expected nothing less from HF.

Victorious Secret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2012, 10:59 AM
bozak911
Ignoring Idiots

If the team allows Brodin to develop well, he will not be put into the #1/#2 role for a few years.

If I had my way, I would start him as the #4/#5 and put him on the #3 power play with a primary threat to wrap up the end of a power play.

Long term, I'd like to see the team get away with floating sub-par 5/6 defensemen and roll with: Suter/Gilbert/Scandella/Brodin/Dumba/Cuma/Spurgeon

Three to four years down the road, having Spurgeon/Cuma fighting with guys like Gunnarsson/Seeler for the 6th/7th spots will be nice and that will be on top of trying to figure out who will be our top four between Suter/Brodin/Dumba/Scandella and maybe Gilbert if he is kept around.

In that scenario, i think I would prefer to see Suter paired with Dumba and Brodin paired with Scandella.

Who knows...

bozak911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2012, 11:10 AM
Victorious Secret
Dr. Chuck Evil

vCash: 16145
Quote:
Originally Posted by bozak911 View Post
If the team allows Brodin to develop well, he will not be put into the #1/#2 role for a few years.

If I had my way, I would start him as the #4/#5 and put him on the #3 power play with a primary threat to wrap up the end of a power play.

Long term, I'd like to see the team get away with floating sub-par 5/6 defensemen and roll with: Suter/Gilbert/Scandella/Brodin/Dumba/Cuma/Spurgeon

Three to four years down the road, having Spurgeon/Cuma fighting with guys like Gunnarsson/Seeler for the 6th/7th spots will be nice and that will be on top of trying to figure out who will be our top four between Suter/Brodin/Dumba/Scandella and maybe Gilbert if he is kept around.

In that scenario, i think I would prefer to see Suter paired with Dumba and Brodin paired with Scandella.

Who knows...
Switch Scandella with Spurgeon and then put Brodin as a #3-4 with #2 powerplay time, and I'm with you.

Victorious Secret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2012, 11:25 AM
nickschultzfan

Quote:
Up in the air as in he could either be a situational player and pp anchor or a top minute all situation guy. Depending on his decision making, which is his knock. If Brodin is playing top pairing minutes with a nice top line like the Wild look like they'll field for quite a while, he's going to end up with 30 points.

Dumba's biggest questionmark is his capacity to read the ice and/or react appropriately. He isn't going to earn top minutes if he's constantly creating two on one's against by being out of position.
Which is why you don't rush Dumba. Two years in the AHL could work wonders for his game. If he can transition to the pro-game, he could immediate make an impact once he gets to the NHL.

nickschultzfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2012, 11:39 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I am guessing by the end of the year Brodin would be good enough to crack the top four of the Wild's defense and will likely anchor the second pairing next year with Suter anchoring the top pairing. That gives them Gilbert, Scandella, and Spurgeon to work with depending on how they play/develop and what they need.

I don't see Dumba jumping up any time soon. Let him grow, improve, and eventually dominate juniors for the next two years and then see where he is at. Unfortunately he can't go to Houston for two years.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2012, 11:42 AM
bozak911
Ignoring Idiots

Looks like I need to re-iterate that I am not that big of a fan of the Spurge...

I don't get the love the kid gets, all things considered.

bozak911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2012, 11:54 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

His even strength play is very solid and he does bring some offense to the table. He is extremely polished as a young player. I don't think his upside is much higher than his play now, but now he is arguably the second or third best defenseman for the Wild.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2012, 12:42 PM
Minnesota
L'Étoile du Nord

vCash: 269
Spurgeon's my favorite Wild player; I love the underdog story.

Minnesota is offline   Reply With Quote