HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

New CBA? Are Panthers Well Positioned? (ALL CBA TALK HERE)

Old
10-16-2012, 12:46 PM
Howboutthempanthers
No Bandwagon Allowed

vCash: 500
I just heard on ESPN that the NHL has proposed a 50/50 split with the NHLPA on the HRR. That's all I heard so far.

Howboutthempanthers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2012, 12:51 PM
FlaPnthrsPunk
Our Time Will Come

That is correct. I'd say the players have to take this offer if they want to play hockey anytime soon. It's been said that the season could then start on November 2nd and 82 games will still be played. A decision will be announced at 5pm today. I'm keeping my fingers crossed like hell.

FlaPnthrsPunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2012, 01:00 PM
PanthersHockey1
Bond.

**** were screwed if the season starts NOV 2. No versteeg. No Gudbranson. No Bergenheim.

PanthersHockey1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2012, 01:06 PM
Howboutthempanthers
No Bandwagon Allowed

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanthersHockey1 View Post
**** were screwed if the season starts NOV 2. No versteeg. No Gudbranson. No Bergenheim.
Higher draft pick. But seriously, I understand how you feel but at this point I'll take that situation over no hockey at all.

Old
10-16-2012, 01:15 PM
PanthersHockey1
Bond.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howboutthempanthers View Post
Higher draft pick. But seriously, I understand how you feel but at this point I'll take that situation over no hockey at all.
True that. Rather go to the Bank Atlantic Center with all my pals and watch a hard fought loss than watch no hockey at all. Plus I watch a million out of market games a week. I am not only a diehard panthers fan but a diehard nhl fan in general. I want this lockout to end.

Old
10-16-2012, 01:59 PM
Dr Beinfest

Quote:
True that. Rather go to the Bank Atlantic Center with all my pals and watch a hard fought loss than watch no hockey at all. Plus I watch a million out of market games a week. I am not only a diehard panthers fan but a diehard nhl fan in general. I want this lockout to end.
Unfortunately it's no longer the BankAtlantic Center

Bacon, Bacon, & Tomato now.

Dr Beinfest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2012, 02:32 PM
Coolburn

Send a message via AIM to Coolburn Send a message via MSN to Coolburn Send a message via Yahoo to Coolburn
Quote:
We have defensive depth so we may not miss Guds in the lineup so bad if you ask me. And I think Versteeg was suppose to return in mid Nov IIRC anyway so we may only be without him for like 10 games. Bergy's injury is still unknown about timing but at least we have depth on the wing so we may be able to survive a few months without him (we really need him for the playoff drive).

Coolburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2012, 03:13 PM
Desert Panther
Resident Lurker

Other things that have been said on it is that it's "at least a 6yr deal" (there was actually one odd rumor of a 25yr CBA term that I can no longer find)

Not worried at all about the players who are out. I believe we have enough depth to stay afloat as players return.

Desert Panther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2012, 03:33 PM
Coolburn

Send a message via AIM to Coolburn Send a message via MSN to Coolburn Send a message via Yahoo to Coolburn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Panther View Post
Other things that have been said on it is that it's "at least a 6yr deal" (there was actually one odd rumor of a 25yr CBA term that I can no longer find)
Also add in the fact that the league apparently dropped the changes they wanted to contracts which was a non-starter for the players (contract lengths, removal of arbitration, change to entry level system). This may be the key (along with the "protection plan" for salaries for next season) to the players to accept this as a basis of a deal.

Coolburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2012, 04:05 PM
Blad Meaning Gud
Yu - Behr - Doe

If this happens, I will be happy.

Blad Meaning Gud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2012, 04:07 PM
Boooooth10

Quote:

Not worried at all about the players who are out. I believe we have enough depth to stay afloat as players return.
Gives us a chance to see Howden in a Panthers uniform.

Boooooth10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2012, 04:21 PM
I May Be Wrong
I May Be The Stig

Send a message via MSN to I May Be Wrong
Excellent news. I need some Panthers hockey!

I May Be Wrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2012, 04:25 PM
billysbreakdown

What's the odds of hockey November 2nd?

billysbreakdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2012, 04:37 PM
PanthersHockey1
Bond.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel Panther View Post
What's the odds of hockey November 2nd?
Same as the offer 50/50

Old
10-16-2012, 05:16 PM
RampageNate

Send a message via Yahoo to RampageNate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boooooth10 View Post
Based on what I've seen in camp and through two games, Howden isn't ready physically. He is getting pushed around quite a bit right now.

RampageNate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2012, 05:59 PM
Desert Panther
Resident Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolburn View Post
Also add in the fact that the league apparently dropped the changes they wanted to contracts which was a non-starter for the players (contract lengths, removal of arbitration, change to entry level system). This may be the key (along with the "protection plan" for salaries for next season) to the players to accept this as a basis of a deal.
This is undoubtedly a calculated risk by the league. If the PA says no or looks to amend it heavily, they immediately look like the bad guys in the PR battle. They didn't drop the length limit (5 years) and they are also asking for a revision of the UFA age to 28 (or 8 years) which is up 1 year from previous.

This is also obviously an exploding offer as they've couched it as the way to "save an 82 game season." Basically, the next 2-3 days are going to tell us if we're going to have a season or sit another one in full.

EDIT: Just tweeted (twit?) from Dreger: "NHLPA conf call has ended. Nothing certain, but a counter proposal is expected in next 24-48 hrs."

Last edited by Desert Panther: 10-16-2012 at 06:17 PM.
Old
10-16-2012, 09:10 PM
Howboutthempanthers
No Bandwagon Allowed

I'll tell you one thing if they do get this deal done the next announcement I'm going to be looking for from the Panthers is that they have recalled Jonathan Huberdeau.

Old
10-17-2012, 03:50 AM
JP Mick
Two Gallants

Quote:
You spelled Huberdeau wrong.

JP Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2012, 03:53 AM
JP Mick
Two Gallants

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP Mick View Post
The NHL is waiting for the NHLPA to make the next move, but I think the NHL should just go ahead and put a 50/50 split on the table for revenue sharing.

It will get talks rolling and the NHLPA will look bad if they don't seriously consider it.
Damnit, the league should have hired me to consult them!

Old
10-17-2012, 06:47 AM
Boooooth10

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP Mick View Post
You spelled Huberdeau wrong.
Well I was assuming he was going to start with the team regardless of who was hurt.

Last edited by Boooooth10: 10-17-2012 at 06:53 AM.
Boooooth10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2012, 07:29 AM
Desert Panther
Resident Lurker

Here are some of the specifics:

http://espn.go.com/blog/nhl/post/_/i...agues-proposal

Quote:
Originally Posted by From ESPN
-- There were several contradicting reports out there Tuesday regarding the entry-level system, but multiple sources confirmed the new proposal would see ELS go from three years to two years in length. The one caveat is that if you’re a player for example that’s coming from college and joining your NHL team late in the season -- think Chris Kreider of the Rangers -- that doesn’t count against your two-year, entry-level commitment. You would still have to play two full seasons under an entry-level deal. What the offer Tuesday laid out is two full seasons of entry level.

-- You may wonder why the heck the league would want to shorten the entry-level deal. Combined with the fact that the league also asked for a five-year limit on term for contracts and UFA eligibility to go to eight years or 28 years old, what the league is trying to do here is change the dynamics of the second contract -- limit the financial flexibility of the second contract -- and change the system so that players now make their big money in the third contract.

-- Where as a 50-50 split of revenues would see the 2012-13 salary cap lowered to $59.9 million, the league’s offer calls for all 30 teams to be able to spend up to $70.2 million (this past summer’s cap) for the first year of the deal; essentially giving all 30 teams a 12-month transition period. By Year 2 they must comply with the cap. This is significant given the number of teams that would have been over the cap with not very much time to get under it before the puck drops.
There are tighter restrictions on the year-to-year salary in player contracts. The salaries can only increase or decrease by no more than 5 percent. Again, this is an attempt to mitigate the "cheat deals" and front-loading that happened in the past CBA. The league’s initial offer in July called for flat salaries across all contracts, so this is a bit of a change, although not much.

-- The NHL offer proposes to make the salaries of minor-league players on NHL contracts (above a threshold of $105,000) count against the salary cap. This is to prevent teams from stashing players in the minors (think Wade Redden).

-- Embracing an idea first proposed by Maple Leafs GM Brian Burke years ago, the league’s offer included the ability to retain salary in trades. Under the expired CBA, teams could not trade or keep parts of a player’s salary in a trade. This new provision would obviously facilitate trades in a cap market that saw deals minimized, especially in the first half of the season.

-- All existing NHL contracts which go longer than five years will be subject to new cap calculations, specifically those deals will count against a team's cap regardless of whether the player is still playing or not. My belief here is that this is the NHL's attempt at correcting the so-called "cheat deals" or back-diving deals -- like those of Marian Hossa or Roberto Luongo -- which carry bogus salaries at the end of deals to lower the cap hit.

-- There were conflicting reports about the dynamics or definition of hockey-related revenue in this offer. To be clear: a league source says the NHL does NOT try to change the definition of HRR in this offer like it attempted to in the summer. These are the same old definitions of HRR used in this new offer. Having said that, my guess is that giving the back and forth on HRR language all summer long, the NHLPA will seek further clarification on this Wednesday in its phone call with the league.

-- It is a six-year deal with a "mutual option" for a seventh year.

-- As part of NHL’s new revenue sharing plan which calls for $200 million, at least 50 percent of the pool will be raised from the top 10 revenue grossing clubs; the distribution of the revenue sharing will be determined every year by a revenue sharing committee (which the NHLPA will be part of).

Old
10-17-2012, 08:06 AM
Blad Meaning Gud
Yu - Behr - Doe

Quote:
Looks like some serious progress...

Blad Meaning Gud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2012, 11:31 AM
SoupyFIN
#freePirri

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booootthh View Post
Excellent news. I need some Panthers hockey!
As long as there's some by January 4th.

Not that I'd be seeing any on that day of salvation and alcohol.

SoupyFIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2012, 12:47 PM
Desert Panther
Resident Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gudbranson4Prez View Post
Looks like some serious progress...
Apparently not serious enough from Fehr's perspective:

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=407542

Not looking good

Old
10-17-2012, 01:05 PM
JP Mick
Two Gallants

Quote:
Well I was assuming he was going to start with the team regardless of who was hurt.
I figured.
I'm thinking we see Wellman and Strachan or Robak to start the season. I think they will leave Howden and Shore in the AHL to marinate some more.
I could be wrong though!