HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

News from Around the League - Part XXXIII - The "No, you go first" edition

Closed Thread

Old
10-16-2012, 12:48 PM
Baggy Spandex
Boat movie.

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle evs48 View Post
I agree. The only thing that really sticks out to me is the 5 year contract lengths.
Yeah, doubt that holds. I bet they settle on a flat salary/cap hit and that will sort itself out somehow with retirement clauses.

Old
10-16-2012, 12:50 PM
apice3*

Quote:
You don't have to look back to see them exercising some serious hypocrisy. Snider and Leipold jump out. Snider for signing two players to six-year deals and offering Weber the biggest contract in league history. Leipold for signing two $98M players on one day. They just don't care.
I'd like to see some kind of modified Larry Bird clause, where you can sign FA's for 5-7 years max, but can re-sign your own players as long as you want (or at least a longer term than standard FA's.) That way, players are more likely to stay with the home town team, or at the very least agree to some kind of sign-and-trade so teams aren't left with nothing.

Old
10-16-2012, 12:56 PM
kyle evs48
No words needed

I just want the frontloading BS to stop

Old
10-16-2012, 01:00 PM
kyle evs48
No words needed

John Shannon ‏@JSportsnet
Another interesting tidbit from NHL offer... Players' Salaries for those NHLers playing in the AHL would be part of the cap.

trying to end burials too

Old
10-16-2012, 01:02 PM
Ilkka Pikachu

Another interesting tidbit from NHL offer... Players' Salaries for those NHLers playing in the AHL would be part of the cap.

oh hi Wade Redden

Old
10-16-2012, 01:14 PM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Send a message via AIM to Saugus
Quote:
Originally Posted by downtown56 View Post
@Real_ESPNLeBrun: Bettman says offer contingent on having 82-game season which would begin Nov 2. Says league offered 50/50 share of HRR
Oh, they'd better take this one, or at least make a reasonable counter proposal. They can't possibly be dumb enough to reject it outright, can they?

Quote:

trying to end burials too
The PA won't like that either, ending burials limits the amount of total money the (rich) owners can spend, lowering everyone else's future cash ins even further than the proposed years limit would.

Old
10-16-2012, 01:17 PM
Getzo5
The Punisher

I don`t think it`d be stupid to reject this. I, however, absolutely agree it`s beyond stupid that we see the first reasonable proposal just now, in mid-October.

Old
10-16-2012, 01:20 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saugus View Post
Oh, they'd better take this one, or at least make a reasonable counter proposal. They can't possibly be dumb enough to reject it outright, can they?.
Fehr (Worst ******* in sports labor talks in history) + NHLPA (Stupidiest PA in sports) = Gonna happen

I see no positive ,, I think NHL has given fair offer but expect players/Fehr to arrogantly reject it in end as a NONSTARTER

Old
10-16-2012, 01:20 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Getzo5 View Post
I don`t think it`d be stupid to reject this. I, however, absolutely agree it`s beyond stupid that we see the first reasonable proposal just now, in mid-October.
Last owner proposal was reasonable IMO

Its the NHLPA that has shown no desire to get a deal done

Old
10-16-2012, 01:21 PM
apice3*

It's like the Simpsons episode. Lisa wants to take the bus to the movies or something. Asks Homer if she can take a limo. He doesn't like that. They settle on the bus.

NHL pretty much laid the foundation, threw in some thing the PA won't go for, that way they can eliminate the excess and settle on close to the desired foundation.

Old
10-16-2012, 01:21 PM
onefatsurfer
I speak in code

this proposal won't be signed. the no-bury rule and term limits are going to be sticking points, as is the "57%-50%". greedy ******** are greedy.

Old
10-16-2012, 01:22 PM
Bleedred
Halak ends SO streak

Alright so someone set me straight please. If this goes through UFA age would be 28 years old/8 years.

Zajac would be 28 years old, as well as Clarkson. Though this will only have been their 7th season in the NHL. Barely even 7 for Clarkson as he only played so many games in the 06/07.

So will they be eligible to be UFA in 2014 after 8 years of playing? Or in 2013 still since they'll both be 28?

Old
10-16-2012, 01:25 PM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup View Post
I think NHL has given fair offer but expect players/Fehr to arrogantly reject it in end as a NONSTARTER
I wouldn't say this one is entirely fair. The 5 year limit is slightly unreasonable, and the no burial rule that they suddenly tossed in there isn't a winner either.

If they dump those, keep the 50/50 split, raise the UFA age and ELC length slightly, and keep arbitration, I think that can pass muster with both sides.

Old
10-16-2012, 01:27 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

Quote:
I wouldn't say this one is entirely fair. The 5 year limit is slightly unreasonable, and the no burial rule that they suddenly tossed in there isn't a winner either.

If they dump those, keep the 50/50 split, raise the UFA age and ELC length slightly, and keep arbitration, I think that can pass muster with both sides.
Not entirely fair but this is likely the best the NHLPA will get (And it is in line with NBA/NFL players in split/etc)

5 yr limit could be negotiated same with Burial rule

But I dont trust Fehr and NHLPA ,, They will come back with some idiotic split (54% for players) or something and tank the whole thing

Old
10-16-2012, 01:27 PM
Bleedred
Halak ends SO streak

So what's the salary cap this year? And no freebie amnesty buyout? So the Rangers can't buyout Redden? He goes against the cap?

Remember the days when some people wanted us to sign Redden that year he was a UFA that the Rangers signed him? Goes to show you some things are for our own good.

Will there be a rollback in cap hits too? So many questions.

Old
10-16-2012, 01:32 PM
I Hate Tie DOMI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleedred View Post
So what's the salary cap this year? And no freebie amnesty buyout? So the Rangers can't buyout Redden? He goes against the cap?

Remember the days when some people wanted us to sign Redden that year he was a UFA that the Rangers signed him? Goes to show you some things are for our own good.

Will there be a rollback in cap hits too? So many questions.
I still believe Redden is an NHL player though, just not worth 6 million a year. If he didn't have that contract and was signed to a 3 million a year deal, he'd be in the NHL right now.

Old
10-16-2012, 01:34 PM
Bleedred
Halak ends SO streak

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Hate Tie DOMI View Post
I still believe Redden is an NHL player though, just not worth 6 million a year. If he didn't have that contract and was signed to a 3 million a year deal, he'd be in the NHL right now.
Maybe, but no one is gonna take him off their hands. Possibly a cap floor, but probably not even then.

Old
10-16-2012, 01:41 PM
HeliDevil
Ride the Schneid

I could see the 5 year contract limit and the burial rule being a problem, but it's not too unreasonable. Just no more ridiculous long term contracts. I don't necessarily like teams being able to bury contracts ala Redden, but it's not that big of a deal.

Old
10-16-2012, 01:45 PM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Quote:
Most likely. And of course, Redden could always terminate his contract by refusing to report, and then sign a new one with another team, but he wants the money more than he cares about pride.

Old
10-16-2012, 02:08 PM
Hockey Sports Fan
:panic:

Send a message via AIM to Hockey Sports Fan
The NHLPA should love the burial rule. It'll keep NHL players in the NHL. It might make owners hesitant to give out Redden-type contracts (less money for players), but overall I think it's good for them.

The cap on contract length is total **** though. Imagine if Stamkos had to accept a five-year contract? How much would he be making per year? How much money would you have to throw at Parise without tacking on cheap years at the end?

Old
10-16-2012, 02:12 PM
DatBoyJPP
Good Night

The NHLPA doesn't care where the players are playing as long as they are getting paid

Old
10-16-2012, 02:14 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

Quote:
On other hand Huet wasn't even an ECHL caliber player when Hawks buried him in minors

I like the ability of a owner to bury mistake instead of forcing that mistake on an NHL roster

Old
10-16-2012, 02:18 PM
Richer's Ghost
Global Moderator
Devils defense.

vCash: 735
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup View Post
On other hand Huet wasn't even an ECHL caliber player when Hawks buried him in minors

I like the ability of a owner to bury mistake instead of forcing that mistake on an NHL roster
He still could bury it in the AHL roster, just the price tag stays.

Funniest moment of morning was Jaromir Jagr trying to get @KenDaneykoMSG to say, "Ruutu to Tootoo, 2-on-1" quickly.
Old
10-16-2012, 02:23 PM
CerebralGenesis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggers View Post
The NHLPA should love the burial rule. It'll keep NHL players in the NHL. It might make owners hesitant to give out Redden-type contracts (less money for players), but overall I think it's good for them.

The cap on contract length is total **** though. Imagine if Stamkos had to accept a five-year contract? How much would he be making per year? How much money would you have to throw at Parise without tacking on cheap years at the end?
Quote:
Originally Posted by DatBoyJPP View Post
The NHLPA doesn't care where the players are playing as long as they are getting paid
Quote:

Burial rule won't be too much of a problem. AS they mentioned above, it is sort of a owner vs owner issue. This is assuming they set it up correctly so it will depend on how you define "NHLer in the AHL" which is the term they used I believe.

I expect the 5 year cap to get removed to raised to 8 or so, just like speculated on here in August... -_-

The PA has to be using this as a branching point as well, they can't be that greedy. I think we could see the NHL season start by 11/2/12. Mainly because of this:

"So we have about nine or ten days to get this all put to bed, signed, sealed and delivered, in order for this offer to be effective and for us to move forward." -Gary Bettman

that's 9-10 days to figure this out and get something signed so we can get a injury filled season starting November.

Old
10-16-2012, 02:32 PM
apice3*

Quote:
I agree he WAS an NHL player when he was first buried. Now he's two years removed from his last NHL game, he's now 35 years old, and from what a few Ranger fans have told me he spent more time serving as a player-coach/mentor in the AHL last year than he did actually playing/practicing.

I highly doubt he could step into the NHL and play with success anymore, and no one is going to take the chance to pay him that much money on a guess.

Closed Thread