HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Notices

The Lockout Thread Part I

Closed Thread

Old
10-16-2012, 12:39 PM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
The League has proposed a 50/50 split of HRR, no immediate rollback of salaries, and a full 82 game schedule, provided they can start the season by Nov. 1.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=407490

Devil is in the details, but I must believe an agreement is to be found somewhere in this effort. I'm surprised and pleased that the NHL came to the table with an offer like this. Can't wait to read more about it and hear the NHLPA response!

A bit more info from ESPN:

http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/85...elated-revenue

Here are some pertinent details from the ESPN story:

NHLPA executive director Donald Fehr said that the offer includes a deal that is "at least six years in length" and acknowledged that the union will respond to the proposal "sooner rather than later." The NHLPA has scheduled a conference call for 5 p.m. ET to discuss the offer with the players' negotiating committee and the union's executive board. But a source told ESPNNewYork.com that it is "doubtful" that the union will formally respond Tuesday.

The offer includes a proposal designed to "protect" players from salary reductions in the initial years, a league source told ESPN.com. The league also has removed earlier proposals for systemic changes to player contracts, according to the source. A source with knowledge of the offer told ESPNNewYork.com that the players' primary concern -- that their current contracts are honored -- is addressed in the proposal. To protect the contracts already in the books, there is a mechanism in place in the league's latest offer to defer payments based on future growth, according to the source.

Last edited by pete goegan: 10-16-2012 at 12:58 PM.
Old
10-16-2012, 01:21 PM
Stretch Factor

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBleedUnionBlue View Post
The NHL hired Republican market research strategist and Fox News contributor Frank Luntz to craft their message. Read about Shared Sacrifice.

http://deadspin.com/5951872?utm_camp...ium=socialflow

Also, Frank Luntz has responded.
https://twitter.com/FrankLuntz/statu...956865/photo/1
I've worked with Luntz in the past. He's a sharp dude who's not afraid of anyone.

Wouldn't surprise me if he told Bettman, "If you care about fan perception, you are going to lose. Settle this immediately."

Old
10-16-2012, 01:38 PM
HoldFast13
DESTROY!!!!

I seriously hope this gets worked out. I'm starting to have serious Hockey withdraw.

Old
10-16-2012, 02:17 PM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoldFast13 View Post
I seriously hope this gets worked out. I'm starting to have serious Hockey withdraw.
I was amazed how not horrible college hockey was this weekend (compared to college football). The quality was actually pretty good. I'll get over it with some trips to watch the Buckeyes. A friend also mentioned the Erie PA OHL team. I could do a few trips to watch certain players.

I am not going to miss this that much. I'll be glad when it's back, but I'll be ok until it is.

Old
10-16-2012, 02:25 PM
Socks
HeadFake

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoldFast13 View Post
Yeah I'm starting to get there myself. I was sick as hell when the lockout actually started and work has been really busy so I didn't notice the coming and going of what was supposed to be the start of pre and regular season, but things have slowed down now and I find myself missing seeing my boys in action.

Old
10-16-2012, 02:54 PM
CBJSprague24
"Scoreboard, son."

How do they play an 82 game season starting in November? Is it just as simple as starting 11-2 and extending the regular season into late April?

Old
10-16-2012, 03:01 PM
candyman82

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJSprague24 View Post
How do they play an 82 game season starting in November? Is it just as simple as starting 11-2 and extending the regular season into late April?
I think they add a game every fifth week or something?

Old
10-16-2012, 03:27 PM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

Perhaps these are a few more details (though I can't vouch for the source):

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2...for-contracts/

Old
10-16-2012, 03:30 PM
BluejacketNut

Good thing they wasted a month

Old
10-16-2012, 03:35 PM
blahblah

On the surface it seems a fairly fair point to start a conversation. I still think they will want to address revenue sharing, I didn't see anything about that in my initial peek.

At this point if the NHLPA plays hard ball, they are probably going to lose the fans. There are real concessions in here where they, in part, addressed some of the concerns of the players.

I didn't like one of the Fehr comments. Well on initial glance it might be ok, but I'm not sure... (in so many words). Express your excitement that the stalemate has ended and tell us you are going to hit this hard with the players. When you have a chance to really talk about it, then give us your opinion about the content.

Old
10-16-2012, 03:36 PM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluejacketNut View Post
Good thing they wasted a month
I'm thrilled with the progress. This was a lot faster than I thought it would be.

Old
10-16-2012, 03:51 PM
IBleedUnionBlue

Per Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie

Quote:
My take: Too early to say how NHLPA will react to NHL offer but I suspect we're in for 7 to 10 days of really intense bargaining sessions.
Don't read nor hear on NHLXM Radio any analysts believing this NHLPA will accept the initial offer, but they all seem to believe this can be a starting point for negotiations. I guess we just kick back for the next week and a half and let the process work itself out and hopefully we can play some hockey Nov 2. (Which by the way is a home game against the Penguins)

Old
10-16-2012, 03:55 PM
EspenK

Quote:
Logic would dictate playing the games as scheduled from 11/2 on and either add in games as possible or just tack the last two weeks on to the end.

Remember, during the winter Olympics, there was about a 2 week break so that would correspond to the two weeks missed if the season started 11/2.

Seems like the league has put a good offer out there-50/50 split and no major reduction to players salaries during the early years (although I'm not sure how the math works on that-guess its part of the clawback or whatever they called it)

Old
10-16-2012, 03:59 PM
Samkow
Global Moderator
Sidney Cosby

Send a message via Skype™ to Samkow
Quote:
Add a few weeks on at the end of the season and kill the all-star game.

10-16-2012, 04:08 PM
Iron Balls McGinty

Quote:
The NBA does it every year. Their season starts Oct. 30.

Old
10-16-2012, 04:12 PM
Iron Balls McGinty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samkow View Post
Add a few weeks on at the end of the season and kill the all-star game.
No need to kill the all star game at this point. Could still happen but NBA season would essentially run in parallel. NBA plays 82 games and has an all star game too while running on nearly the exact same time frame if the NHL were to start on 11/2.

Old
10-16-2012, 04:22 PM
Samkow
Global Moderator
Sidney Cosby

Send a message via Skype™ to Samkow
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Balls McGinty View Post
No need to kill the all star game at this point. Could still happen but NBA season would essentially run in parallel. NBA plays 82 games and has an all star game too while running on nearly the exact same time frame if the NHL were to start on 11/2.
I really doubt the NHL wants the Stanley Cup playoffs to go head to head against the NBA finals. They'll try to have it earlier. The 4 day all star break is an easy piece of fat to cut. I fully expect it to be killed.

And before everybody starts whining about the NHL hating Columbus, I encourage you to wait till they announce the location of the 2015 NHL All-Star Game before complaining too much.

January 25th, 2015. Book it.

Old
10-16-2012, 04:55 PM
TaketheCannoli
RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete goegan View Post
Perhaps these are a few more details (though I can't vouch for the source):

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2...for-contracts/
John Shannon is a very credible source. He was the NHL's VP of Programming and Production. He was the Leaf's VP of Programming prior to that. He was at CBC as Executive Producer of Hockey Night in Canada. He was also involved in NBC's Olympic coverage.

He has a lot of contacts at the highest levels.

Old
10-16-2012, 07:20 PM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

Quote:
I really doubt the NHL wants the Stanley Cup playoffs to go head to head against the NBA finals. They'll try to have it earlier. The 4 day all star break is an easy piece of fat to cut. I fully expect it to be killed.

And before everybody starts whining about the NHL hating Columbus, I encourage you to wait till they announce the location of the 2015 NHL All-Star Game before complaining too much.

Clearly this would only be a ploy to stave off some type of unrest.

Old
10-16-2012, 07:38 PM
Paisano*
Jury is still out...

Quote:

Won't happen! If the season does indeed start Nov 2, the ASG will held as scheduled. Makes no sense to cancel it. Too much invested and they can easily make up the cancelled games by mixing them into the current schedule.

Lets get a CBA first.

Old
10-16-2012, 08:13 PM
leesmith
"We're NEVER Done!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stretch Factor View Post
I've worked with Luntz in the past. He's a sharp dude who's not afraid of anyone.

Wouldn't surprise me if he told Bettman, "If you care about fan perception, you are going to lose. Settle this immediately."
That's exactly my perception as well. It's rare that I come down on the side of a union against management, but here I am.

Old
10-16-2012, 08:30 PM
Iron Balls McGinty

Quote:

That may be true but I don't really think the same clientele watch the NBA finals and the NHL finals. Its either or for those sports. I don't see many crossover fans.

Old
10-16-2012, 08:37 PM
Byrral

I've been on record that I am on the players side in this lockout. Well the owners have made the first big move. Don't care about all of the details of what is involved but it is a significant step that should speed the pace of these negotiations. Now it's all on the players. They don't have to accept this offer in kind but need to work diligently to get this done now. Players up at the plate. Don't whiff.

Old
10-16-2012, 10:33 PM
Iron Balls McGinty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrral View Post
I've been on record that I am on the players side in this lockout. Well the owners have made the first big move. Don't care about all of the details of what is involved but it is a significant step that should speed the pace of these negotiations. Now it's all on the players. They don't have to accept this offer in kind but need to work diligently to get this done now. Players up at the plate. Don't whiff.
Absolutely! I'm now feeling a deal gets done within 7 days. If it doesn't then we are back to square one.

Old
10-16-2012, 11:16 PM
Nanabijou
Playoffs back at Nat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Balls McGinty View Post
Absolutely! I'm now feeling a deal gets done within 7 days. If it doesn't then we are back to square one.
Agreed. I feel as though if this doesn't get this week, we can kiss the season goodbye. Bettman's sucked it up and made the first significant move. If Fehr doesn't budge, Bettman's wounded pride will likely mean that we're in for hockey armageddon.

Closed Thread