HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

When will this lockout end? (all lockout talk here)

View Poll Results: When will the lockout end?
Sometime between Oct-nov 49 18.08%
Sometime between Dec-jan 90 33.21%
Season canceled 132 48.71%
Voters: 271. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
10-16-2012, 12:46 PM
McNutty780

vCash: 500
Im crossing my fingers that this is the start of something positive. We're all sick and tired of random news headings saying "meeting today but not discussing anything important"

The owners (IMO) have realized that with every passing day they are bleeding fan interest and they really cant take that for granted especially in some of the US market.

I'm praying that the PA will follow suit

Old
10-16-2012, 12:57 PM
Soundwave

If the ELC contract length is changed does that retroactively apply to Yakupov who hasn't technically played for us yet?

Old
10-16-2012, 01:01 PM
SK13
V-Triggered

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
If the ELC contract length is changed does that retroactively apply to Yakupov who hasn't technically played for us yet?
Probably not.

Old
10-16-2012, 01:10 PM
AK Dandyman

It's a huge offer.

The NHL is willing to keep the current definition of Hockey Related Revenues. 50/50 split.

Also with the NHL offering the NHLPA with a full season starting November 2nd with a one week training camp, it means that players can get the already cancelled games' lost salaries back. And, revenues will stay the same for the year, and the salary reduction with some sort of creative gradual escrow.

Now Fehr and the PA better not come back with a low ball counter, and they better give a reasonable count quick. Otherwise, they are going to look real bad and lots of fans are going to turn on the players, because the fans have a new hope now that the whole season can be saved with no lost games.

Old
10-16-2012, 01:18 PM
dustrock
Too Legit To Quit

If the NHLPA comes back with "we like the deal but want 8 years for max contract length", do you think we'll have a deal?

Old
10-16-2012, 01:20 PM
#ualberta

This is awesome news if not a done deal they can negotiate of this i see a deal by the months end

Old
10-16-2012, 01:24 PM
McCupofOil
Bob The Builder

I don't see how the players reject this outright.
They get a fair revenue split under the old definition of HRR with no rollbacks (as far as i know) plus they get every paycheck with a full 82 game season that would start on Nov. 2nd (Stupid idea IMO but good for the players financially).
We don't know all the details obviously and the free agency issues will need to be ironed out but they would be stupid to outright deny the proposal, it would also be PR suicide for them. I don't expect them to accept the deal as is but this should be the start of a very serious negotiation process to get this deal done in the next few days.

The one thing i'm not a fan of is the proposed compressed 82 game schedule that would start on November 2nd if they reach a deal quickly. That could lead to some serious injury concerns, just look at what happened in the NBA (a less physical league) with a compressed schedule. It would be crazy if there were back to back to back nights of games but beggars can't be choosers, i'm sure that we all want the NHL back in any way shape or form.

The players should know that this is by far, the best deal that they will get. They should either take it or be prepared to take a much worse deal a year or two or three from now. If they reject this deal, i hope that the league implodes and they have to find employment elsewhere maybe at Burger King flipping burgers.

Old
10-16-2012, 01:34 PM
Soundwave

Unless the PA is stupid, we should be playing again by mid-November at the latest I think.

I expect a little bit of back and forth, but this should be a basic frame work for a new CBA.

Old
10-16-2012, 01:40 PM
McJadeddog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
unfortunately, it very likely won't... too bad, that would have really helped us... personally though, i'll be very surprised if the players accept all the contract length changes.... but that being said, of all the contract length changes, the ELC one is the most likley one to be accepted by the NHLPA

Old
10-16-2012, 01:42 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Alright, now we are playing hockey in the neutral zone!!

Old
10-16-2012, 02:17 PM
dustrock
Too Legit To Quit

Quote:
Originally Posted by CupofOil View Post
The one thing i'm not a fan of is the proposed compressed 82 game schedule that would start on November 2nd if they reach a deal quickly. That could lead to some serious injury concerns, just look at what happened in the NBA (a less physical league) with a compressed schedule. It would be crazy if there were back to back to back nights of games but beggars can't be choosers, i'm sure that we all want the NHL back in any way shape or form.
Agreed - the NBA season started off pretty horrifically, both for injuries and quality of ball. One difference is that many of the players have been playing in other leagues, whereas the NBA players basically skipped training camp and went right into the regular season.

Old
10-16-2012, 02:23 PM
GMofOilers

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustrock View Post
Agreed - the NBA season started off pretty horrifically, both for injuries and quality of ball. One difference is that many of the players have been playing in other leagues, whereas the NBA players basically skipped training camp and went right into the regular season.
Its one extra game every 5 weeks? shouldnt be a big deal.

Old
10-16-2012, 02:36 PM
syz
[1, 5, 6, 14]

Pretty much sounds like a full season rests on the shoulders of the players.

I'm interested in hearing how this deal actually helps the owners though.. 50/50 and no rollback doesn't seem like it would be enough considering all the whining they've been doing.

PA will probably do something stupid and counter with getting 52%.

Old
10-16-2012, 02:40 PM
JSC
Registered Sniper

Anyone think a deal can be reached in the next couple of days?

Old
10-16-2012, 02:42 PM
gooilgo
Fire MacLowe

I feel there will be some phasing in and some rollback of salaries when it finally gets done. Good to see some movement though.

Old
10-16-2012, 02:46 PM
SK13
V-Triggered

This is what I feel is going to happen. They'll set a date for negotiations and we're going to see some June 2005-esque hard negotiating. The NHLPA will come back with 8-9 year contracts, 3 year ELC's and maybe accept the additional year of RFA status. It'll get done early next week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by syz View Post
Pretty much sounds like a full season rests on the shoulders of the players.

I'm interested in hearing how this deal actually helps the owners though.. 50/50 and no rollback doesn't seem like it would be enough considering all the whining they've been doing.
What whining?

Their share here would go from about 1.48B projected to 1.75B projected, on top of favorable changes to contract length, free agency and entry level deals. The money would go into escrow, I'm sure, but we still have no idea how the paybacks would occur (if they even are guaranteed).

Quote:
Originally Posted by gooilgo View Post
I feel there will be some phasing in and some rollback of salaries when it finally gets done. Good to see some movement though.
The NHL is pursuing no form of rollback. Will not happen.

Old
10-16-2012, 02:47 PM
Mcworraps
McWonderful McSummer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSC View Post
Anyone think a deal can be reached in the next couple of days?
It's not outside the realm of possibility but I doubt it will get done that quickly. I expect a deal to get done by late next week.

Old
10-16-2012, 02:50 PM
GMofOilers

Quote:
Originally Posted by SK13 View Post
What whining?

Their share here would go from about 1.48B projected to 1.75B projected, on top of favorable changes to contract length, free agency and entry level deals. The money would go into escrow, I'm sure, but we still have no idea how the paybacks would occur (if they even are guaranteed).
Michael Russo ‏@Russostrib
Confirmed a couple details: There would still be escrow because hockey related revenue for the upcoming year is obviously projection
Rollback: Players made $1.883 bill last year. Diff. between that & 50/50 split for Yr 1would be deferred and paid back over life of contract
So, if a player lost, say, has contract trimmed $1 million and is on a 10-year deal, he would get 100K a year extra for the next 10 years.

Old
10-16-2012, 02:51 PM
GMofOilers

10m Tom Gulitti ‏@TGfireandice
If a player is on a 1-year contract, that deferred money will be paid back after the contract expires.
9m Tom Gulitti ‏@TGfireandice
Then, the same rules regarding escrow to assure owners of their split of HRR will apply as under expired CBA.
Details
Tom Gulitti ‏@TGfireandice
The hope is the deferred payments will be covered by revenue growth.
Details

Old
10-16-2012, 03:00 PM
SK13
V-Triggered

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMofOilers View Post
Michael Russo ‏@Russostrib
Confirmed a couple details: There would still be escrow because hockey related revenue for the upcoming year is obviously projection
Rollback: Players made $1.883 bill last year. Diff. between that & 50/50 split for Yr 1would be deferred and paid back over life of contract
So, if a player lost, say, has contract trimmed $1 million and is on a 10-year deal, he would get 100K a year extra for the next 10 years.
As long as the payback isn't contingent on revenue growth, I can't see why the players wouldn't accept this premise.

Old
10-16-2012, 03:12 PM
czar99

Quote:
Originally Posted by CupofOil View Post
I don't see how the players reject this outright.
They get a fair revenue split under the old definition of HRR with no rollbacks (as far as i know) plus they get every paycheck with a full 82 game season that would start on Nov. 2nd (Stupid idea IMO but good for the players financially).
We don't know all the details obviously and the free agency issues will need to be ironed out but they would be stupid to outright deny the proposal, it would also be PR suicide for them. I don't expect them to accept the deal as is but this should be the start of a very serious negotiation process to get this deal done in the next few days.

The players should know that this is by far, the best deal that they will get. They should either take it or be prepared to take a much worse deal a year or two or three from now. If they reject this deal, i hope that the league implodes and they have to find employment elsewhere maybe at Burger King flipping burgers.
If they don't get a deal done out of this that defiantly is PR suicide. They get the 50/50 HRR they wanted no roll backs and 82 games of pay checks ..... They have to bend on entry level contract length and such. The owners should have a fare amount of time to develop there draft picks and fit them into there team plans and its also opens up a wider trade market because trading partners are going to have a better idea on the players there trading and trading for.

As far as the compressed season go's, I personally don't feel that one extra game every 35 day is that much of a consern.

Get it done NHLPA!

Old
10-16-2012, 03:18 PM
oilersfan11

Great news,hopefully the NHLPA will accept this pending deal!

Old
10-16-2012, 03:44 PM
RNH 93 rulz

today was a normal game day in germany. my hometown team got jamie benn on the roster for the lockout, he was a healthy scratch. briere and giroux are playing for berlin atm, same thing there, healthy scratches... could be a sign...

Old
10-16-2012, 03:53 PM
Arpeggio

I hope it never does with entitled jerks like Horcoff playing in the league.

Old
10-16-2012, 03:58 PM
GMofOilers

Quote:
Originally Posted by RNH 93 rulz View Post
today was a normal game day in germany. my hometown team got jamie benn on the roster for the lockout, he was a healthy scratch. briere and giroux are playing for berlin atm, same thing there, healthy scratches... could be a sign...
Says next games arent till the 19th?

Closed Thread