HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Just got screwed over by opposing team's coach..

Old
10-13-2012, 07:17 PM
TieClark

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian91 View Post
Didn't realise that they didn't do it in other places, but I'm just accustomed to this rule I guess.

They should give some more time between games I agree. It's not fun for the losing team that gets curfewed. It also gives people reasons to stall and slither away with a cheap win, as you've all seen happen in this situation.

It's gotten so bad that they're actually starting to call games during the middle of play in the Rep B league. Up until now they've at least waited until a stoppage of play.
Wow that's brutal... they never do that here and at times you do get behind pretty drastically but I mean.. I'm used to that and I'd much rather start late than have my game cut short.

TieClark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2012, 11:58 PM
TravisUlrich
Eternal Optimist

I coach Midget A hockey in Thunder Bay and have won and lost games by, what we call, running out of time on the "city clock". The worst offender though was in the playoffs, the opposing team's goalie faked a knee injury and lay on the ice for a very long time with the trainer coming out and checking on him. The goalie didn't want to move, eventually they v-e-r-y s-l-o-w-l-y helped him off the ice. There was 4:30 left on the clock when the buzzer went and we were mounting the comeback. Cost us the season.

TravisUlrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2012, 12:34 AM
Malreg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian91 View Post
Didn't realise that they didn't do it in other places, but I'm just accustomed to this rule I guess.

They should give some more time between games I agree. It's not fun for the losing team that gets curfewed. It also gives people reasons to stall and slither away with a cheap win, as you've all seen happen in this situation.

It's gotten so bad that they're actually starting to call games during the middle of play in the Rep B league. Up until now they've at least waited until a stoppage of play.
It is the same thing in Quebec. Single-letter games finish at :50 or :20 no matter what. Double-letter games however are always finished.

They will also usually buzzer you in the middle of a play as well. As soon as it hits :50, the game is over no matter what.

Malreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2012, 04:00 PM
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malreg View Post
It is the same thing in Quebec. Single-letter games finish at :50 or :20 no matter what. Double-letter games however are always finished.

They will also usually buzzer you in the middle of a play as well. As soon as it hits :50, the game is over no matter what.
Double letter games aren't always finished.

IHaveNoCreativity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2012, 04:58 PM
Pez68
Fire Quenneville

How can you be angry at the coach, and not angry at the rink? I've never, ever heard of something as ridiculous as this. Ending a game because you're not finished by a predetermined time? And this happens in Canada, where hockey is the national past time? Unreal.

Pez68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2012, 07:05 PM
Propane Nightmares
Takes guts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pez68 View Post
How can you be angry at the coach, and not angry at the rink? I've never, ever heard of something as ridiculous as this. Ending a game because you're not finished by a predetermined time? And this happens in Canada, where hockey is the national past time? Unreal.
This is my reaction too. They don't even do this here in the UK, where ice hockey always gets shunted in favour of public and figure skating. We often get rinks moaning at us to be off on time so they can have the Saturday night public skate but they never stop us from finishing the game, we only ever even go to running clock if there was a long delay caused by an injury.

Propane Nightmares is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2012, 07:51 PM
epo

Here it is if there is more than 4 minutes on the game clock with 6 minutes on the street clock the clock is cut to 2 minutes.

Games are only 50 minutes in some places?

epo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2012, 08:36 PM
Playerwinner

vCash: 7431
Quote:
Originally Posted by epo View Post
Here it is if there is more than 4 minutes on the game clock with 6 minutes on the street clock the clock is cut to 2 minutes.

Games are only 50 minutes in some places?
I think in lower levels like beginner, tyke and maybe novice where they run 10 10 10 periods

Playerwinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2012, 09:20 PM
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner

In QC you get the ice for a certain amount of time.

IHaveNoCreativity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2012, 06:01 AM
Gino 14

Quote:
That's pretty simple, the rink rules were there when the teams sign up, if you don't agree then don't play. Most big rinks have curfews to make sure all the games get played and everyone gets what they paid for, and it's done by ice time and not by complete games. The rink is running a business and wants to get games in on time and to keep things moving, that's their livelyhood.

Gino 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2012, 07:22 AM
Propane Nightmares
Takes guts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gino 14 View Post
That's pretty simple, the rink rules were there when the teams sign up, if you don't agree then don't play. Most big rinks have curfews to make sure all the games get played and everyone gets what they paid for, and it's done by ice time and not by complete games. The rink is running a business and wants to get games in on time and to keep things moving, that's their livelyhood.
Nobody knows more about greed and money grabbing than the company Planet Ice who run a lot of rinks in the UK, but even they don't do this.

Despite their often massive incompetence they can also still do a fairly decent job allocating enough ice time to make sure get games finished.

Old
10-15-2012, 09:03 AM
Malreg

Quote:
Originally Posted by IHaveNoCreativity View Post
Double letter games aren't always finished.
Maybe it's different per region, but I know my region's rules specifically state that double-letter games are to be finished.

Unless there's a serious delay, of course.

Malreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2012, 03:50 PM
Pez68
Fire Quenneville

Quote:
Are the couple minutes extra REALLY going to make a difference in the grand scheme of things? You're not going to squeeze an extra ice slot in there, so all the micro-managing of ice times is pointless. I've been involved with a lot of rinks and a lot of teams here in Illinois, and none of the rinks do this. Why? Because you get at most one ice slot out of it, that is likely not going to be used anyway... You would have to shave five minutes off every ice slot during the business hours just to get one additional ice slot at the end of the day.... To me it's pretty simple. Allocate enough time to each ice slot to finish the game... Some will be longer, some will be shorter, but it's not rocket science. Some rinks might be running a few minutes late around here, some a few minutes early. In the end, EVERYONE FINISHES THEIR GAMES. Which, I think, is the most important thing here... How can any game be taken seriously when, if the game is running behind, they can have time shaved off? That's completely against the spirit of the game.

Pez68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2012, 10:46 PM
TieClark

Quote:
No most big rinks don't have that rule.. it's unheard of in the GTA actually where the most hockey in Canada is played.

Old
10-16-2012, 09:44 AM
fryer98

Quote:
Are the couple minutes extra REALLY going to make a difference in the grand scheme of things?
I personally understand the reason for it. If 3-4 games in a row go over their time by say 5-10 mins, then by afternoon the rink might be 15-40 mins behind starting games.
1) Parents might have other kids to get to other rinks for their games.
2) Refs might have to be at other rinks to do other games.
3) No one wants to show up and have 40 extra minutes to sit around and wait.
4) If a late adult league game is scheduled for 11:00pm...and has to start at 11:40, players are going to turn around and go home.

On the other hand, I've been playing and reffing for almost 25 years and I've only seen a few games that were curfewed and those were blow outs with a lot of penalties resulting from the game being one sided.

fryer98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2012, 12:21 PM
Propane Nightmares
Takes guts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fryer98 View Post
I personally understand the reason for it. If 3-4 games in a row go over their time by say 5-10 mins, then by afternoon the rink might be 15-40 mins behind starting games.
1) Parents might have other kids to get to other rinks for their games.
2) Refs might have to be at other rinks to do other games.
3) No one wants to show up and have 40 extra minutes to sit around and wait.
4) If a late adult league game is scheduled for 11:00pm...and has to start at 11:40, players are going to turn around and go home.

On the other hand, I've been playing and reffing for almost 25 years and I've only seen a few games that were curfewed and those were blow outs with a lot of penalties resulting from the game being one sided.
Or here's a thought; schedule ice slots better! Give each game a little more time schedule the faceoff of the next game a little later. That way games only run over if there's a serious delay like an injury.

If they can manage that here in the UK, I'm sure they can do it in Canada.

Old
10-16-2012, 12:54 PM
fryer98

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99 Problems View Post
Or here's a thought; schedule ice slots better! Give each game a little more time schedule the faceoff of the next game a little later. That way games only run over if there's a serious delay like an injury.

If they can manage that here in the UK, I'm sure they can do it in Canada.
As I believe was stated, time is money. Scheduling more time is more money to the people playing obviously.

The rinks book as many games, practices, etc. as they can in a day to make their money. The organization or league book X amount of time for each game. The rink has no responsibility to have extra time between games for them to finish the game. The league or organization didn't pay for that extra ice time and they aren't going to give it away or mess up their schedule.

By the way, I'm in not Canada. I'm in the Pittsburgh area and game curfews are the standard at all rinks. The local HS league made their period lengths longer this year to try and use more of the ice time that they pay for. In doing this, they are risking having more games curfewed though.

Old
10-16-2012, 01:25 PM
epo

Having buffer time for games is at the expense of longer games. It eliminates what can be seen as cheap wins, that can be hard to take for a bit, but it is really like planning ahead of time to cut ~3 minutes off the end of every game. If every team makes the playoffs, and all playoff games are allowed to finish it isn't that big of a deal.

epo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2012, 02:55 PM
TieClark

Quote:
As I believe was stated, time is money. Scheduling more time is more money to the people playing obviously.

The rinks book as many games, practices, etc. as they can in a day to make their money. The organization or league book X amount of time for each game. The rink has no responsibility to have extra time between games for them to finish the game. The league or organization didn't pay for that extra ice time and they aren't going to give it away or mess up their schedule.

By the way, I'm in not Canada. I'm in the Pittsburgh area and game curfews are the standard at all rinks. The local HS league made their period lengths longer this year to try and use more of the ice time that they pay for. In doing this, they are risking having more games curfewed though.
The rink doesn't lose any money... The ice is paid for and the make the vast majority of their money from these leagues, not independent rentals. In the GTA, the rink books games on every hour (whether it be 1:30, 2:30 or 1:00, 2:00) and there is an estimated 50 minutes played per game. A 10 minute flood after every 2 games. Normally you're right on time with no curfew. Sometimes you're a bit early, sometimes a bit late in rare circumstance you're really late and the league has to apologize but do their best to go. The rink itself really isn't effected in any way... Especially if there is some kind of bar or restaurant in the rink I which case they actually most likely profit from it.

That said the demand is there... There is easily over a dozen rinks within half an hour of each other and they're all full every night with league games

Old
10-16-2012, 03:02 PM
fryer98

Quote:
Originally Posted by TieClark View Post
The rink doesn't lose any money... The ice is paid for and the make the vast majority of their money from these leagues, not independent rentals. In the GTA, the rink books games on every hour (whether it be 1:30, 2:30 or 1:00, 2:00) and there is an estimated 50 minutes played per game. A 10 minute flood after every 2 games. Normally you're right on time with no curfew. Sometimes you're a bit early, sometimes a bit late in rare circumstance you're really late and the league has to apologize but do their best to go. The rink itself really isn't effected in any way... Especially if there is some kind of bar or restaurant in the rink I which case they actually most likely profit from it.

That said the demand is there... There is easily over a dozen rinks within half an hour of each other and they're all full every night with league games
I was saying the rink would lose money if they had time between games to allow games to go over their time or make sure they did not get behind schedule. In that case, yes they would not be making money during that time because no one is paying for the "buffer time" of ice.

What level games are you talking that are done in 50 minutes? Also, what is the time per period for those games?

Old
10-16-2012, 03:26 PM
TieClark

Quote:
I was saying the rink would lose money if they had time between games to allow games to go over their time or make sure they did not get behind schedule. In that case, yes they would not be making money during that time because no one is paying for the "buffer time" of ice.

What level games are you talking that are done in 50 minutes? Also, what is the time per period for those games?
I'm talking everywhere from lowest level HS (there are several levels here) up to AAA. It's 10 minute periods for HS-A and 12-15 for men's league and AA/AAA. All fit within the 1 hour with 10 for a flood. No buffer time between them either. For the 15 minute games you sometimes see an extra 10 or 15 minute tacked on

Games sometimes get behind because of injuries or fights but you deal with it as they come... Personally I'd much rather be behind schedule than have games stopped early. Rink isn't effected in any way

Old
10-16-2012, 03:42 PM
fryer98

Quote:
I'm talking everywhere from lowest level HS (there are several levels here) up to AAA. It's 10 minute periods for HS-A and 12-15 for men's league and AA/AAA. All fit within the 1 hour with 10 for a flood. No buffer time between them either. For the 15 minute games you sometimes see an extra 10 or 15 minute tacked on

Games sometimes get behind because of injuries or fights but you deal with it as they come... Personally I'd much rather be behind schedule than have games stopped early. Rink isn't effected in any way
I'm surprised to hear 50 minutes to play a HS game. Even mites here get 1h10m of ice which doesn't include the 10m ice cut.

HS games (all levels) have 1h50m ice slot. 17 min periods (up from 15) with a cut between the 2nd and 3rd periods. JV and middle school games have 15 mins periods (up from 12) and have 1h10m ice with no cut during the game, but between each game.

The rink is affected at the end of the day if they are behind. The employees must stay long and they're most likely hourly paid. They might get complaints from the adult league teams which are usually the last thing in a day at most rinks. They might lose some adult teams to other rinks that are on time. This might not be much, but the rink IS affected in some way. Also, as I stated, being behind affects the parents and refs as well.

I'm not saying I agree with the curfew, I just understand why they do it.

Old
10-16-2012, 03:46 PM
TieClark

That's an insanely long game for HS hockey. They should cut that by a good 5 minutes a period and get rid of those 2 hour time slots... That's 2 separate games here

Old
10-16-2012, 03:55 PM
fryer98

Quote:
That's an insanely long game for HS hockey. They should cut that by a good 5 minutes a period and get rid of those 2 hour time slots... That's 2 separate games here
What's your reasoning behind that thinking? Just curious.

The did the opposite this year...going from 12 to 15s at JV and below and 15 to 17s at varsity.

Old
10-16-2012, 04:35 PM
TieClark

Quote:
What's your reasoning behind that thinking? Just curious.

The did the opposite this year...going from 12 to 15s at JV and below and 15 to 17s at varsity.
It's just unheard of in the GTA which is essentially the biggest area for minor hockey in the world. I mean if Steven Stamkos and John Tavares can play as a kid with 15 minute periods HS hockey surely can too.