HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Justin Schultz joins the Oilers Part II

Old
10-16-2012, 12:09 PM
Dabomb

vCash: 500
Best part was getting Schultz at the age of 22. Dmen take longer to develop usually and getting Schultz at 22 is better than getting Murray at 18 He can add more to the team in the next 3-5 years than Murray could imo.

Dabomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2012, 12:19 PM
CupofOil
Visually, we suck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nuge View Post
I can't say too much because I'm only going off highlights and what people have said, but he really does sound a lot like Ryan Murray to me (little less polished defensively and a little better offensive instincts though), which really does lend to the feeling of getting 1st and 2nd overall imo
Do you mean Ryan Murphy because he's nothing like Ryan Murray.
I see a mix of Letang and Doughty in his game, not as physical as Doughty but similar, attacking playing style.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jebs View Post
No way he would have gone top 3 in this draft. Would have been taken around 10th imo. Still.. an amazing free wallet.
I'd say that he definitely would have been in the top 5 mix. The only Dman who definitely would have gone above him is Murray, i'd say that he would have been right there with Reilly, Dumba etc. IMO. Also, keep in mind that he is much more developed than those guys while also having similar upside.

CupofOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2012, 12:45 PM
s7ark
TheWorstEver

Am I the only one thinking Keith may be a good comparable for Schultz's maximum upside? Similar size, good footspeed, great offensive instincts, defense by positioning and stick-work rather than physicality.

Obviously he's a long way off from him now, but I see some similarities

s7ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2012, 12:54 PM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by CupofOil View Post
Do you mean Ryan Murphy because he's nothing like Ryan Murray.
I see a mix of Letang and Doughty in his game, not as physical as Doughty but similar, attacking playing style.
I sure hope not. I'm really not a Murphy fan. As I said though, that was just a guess based on what I've read about Schultz since I haven't seen him play

The Nuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2012, 04:21 PM
Bryanbryoil
Bozo Buddies

Quote:
Originally Posted by jebs View Post
No way he would have gone top 3 in this draft. Would have been taken around 10th imo. Still.. an amazing free wallet.

No one should be surprised at how he has played offensively. His NHL Equiv was crazy high.

Im more interested in his defensive play personally. As long as hes not a liability in that area, he will be totally worth the hype. I like what ive seen so far.
He would've gone before 10 IMO. That said I don't think that he could've gone top 3. Maybe #5 or so at the earliest. That said it doesn't mean that he won't be a better player than a number of D that were taken in the top 10.

10-16-2012, 05:28 PM
okgooil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
He would've gone before 10 IMO. That said I don't think that he could've gone top 3. Maybe #5 or so at the earliest. That said it doesn't mean that he won't be a better player than a number of D that were taken in the top 10.
I could have honestly seen him go 2nd. If he was in the draft this year, some how, I think he goes very high. D men are such a risk, if you can get one that is NHL ready with his upside. He goes high. I really have a hard time imagining a team passing him up to take Murray. When you consider Shultz is ready to contribute now and his upside is just as high.

okgooil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2012, 05:29 PM
okgooil

Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark View Post
Am I the only one thinking Keith may be a good comparable for Schultz's maximum upside? Similar size, good footspeed, great offensive instincts, defense by positioning and stick-work rather than physicality.

Obviously he's a long way off from him now, but I see some similarities
Keith is a very good comparison. I just hope he reaches that level.

okgooil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2012, 05:30 PM
Bryanbryoil
Bozo Buddies

Quote:
Originally Posted by okgooil View Post
I could have honestly seen him go 2nd. If he was in the draft this year, some how, I think he goes very high. D men are such a risk, if you can get one that is NHL ready with his upside. He goes high. I really have a hard time imagining a team passing him up to take Murray. When you consider Shultz is ready to contribute now and his upside is just as high.
I'm not so sure about that, he could end up better than Murray and pretty much every D in this draft, that's how things work sometimes. That said I doubt that Montreal takes him at 3, not sure if Columbus takes him at 2 or even the Islanders or TO taking him at 4 or 5. The bottom line is that we got a blue chip prospect at the position that we needed to fill probably the most in our entire organization. No matter how you slice it, we scored and scored big.

Bryanbryoil is offline   Reply With Quote