Notices

Next wave of Minnesota Wild prospects debuting in AHL top story of 2012-13

Old
10-13-2012, 11:15 AM
HF Article
Hockey's Future Staff

vCash: 500
Next wave of Minnesota Wild prospects debuting in AHL top story of 2012-13

The Wild by design has its top prospects all scheduled to play professional hockey this season. Though obviously dependent on the quick resolution of  labor strife at the NHL level, Mikael Granlund should be playing with the Wild while an excellent group of young players in Matt Hackett, Jonas Brodin, Charlie Coyle, Zack Phillips, Johan Larsson, Jason Zucker, and Brett Bulmer are presumably going to be playing with the AHL's Houston Aeros. The AHL as a whole will be be fun to watch this year. For Wild fans it is a glimpse of a promising future.… read more

More...

HF Article is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2012, 12:20 PM
FUBAR McDangles

vCash: 710
Quote:
The Wild's old guard might have forced Coyle into an unfavorable situation this season after seeing what he was capable of with the Sea Dogs.
What does this even mean? That him going to the AHL is a bad thing? I could be reading it wrong, but I think they're criticizing the Wild for having Coyle in the A?

And they compared Seeler to Leddy later on in the article. An apt comparison, IMO. Hopefully Seeler gets to that type of level.

Also, they bring up Gilmour, who I think can become a pretty good third or second line guy if things go right. Hopefully, at least.

And its kind of funny to see that after having so many great European players the last few years, we only have a handful of guys now.

FUBAR McDangles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2012, 12:26 PM
TZM
Par too easy

I, too, wonder what that means. No way Coyle should be playing in juniors anymore.

TZM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2012, 12:40 PM
FVM
Screaming seagulls

vCash: 1301
I read it as "it wouldn't have been good for Coyle to play on the Wild to start the season with the crowded top six" -> good thing he's on the Aeros. That's how I interpreted the rather vague sentence.

FVM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2012, 12:41 PM
Jaykay
Kuemperpedic

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyratoku View Post
What does this even mean? That him going to the AHL is a bad thing? I could be reading it wrong, but I think they're criticizing the Wild for having Coyle in the A?

And they compared Seeler to Leddy later on in the article. An apt comparison, IMO. Hopefully Seeler gets to that type of level.

Also, they bring up Gilmour, who I think can become a pretty good third or second line guy if things go right. Hopefully, at least.

And its kind of funny to see that after having so many great European players the last few years, we only have a handful of guys now.
I think they're saying the old regime would have thrown Coyle straight to the NHL this season....but that wouldn't have even been an option.

Jaykay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2012, 05:33 PM
Surly Furious

vCash: 528
Bizarre article, given the title.

Their analysis of Cuma is way off the mark as well. I think the Wild envisioned him as the proto-Brodin, puck mover with elite hockey smarts.

Surly Furious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2012, 07:51 PM
Sportsfan1

One and only thing good about the lockout is it gives Granlund some AHL time to develop and that can never be a bad thing.

Sportsfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2012, 04:32 PM
Peter Prohaska
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by FVM View Post
I read it as "it wouldn't have been good for Coyle to play on the Wild to start the season with the crowded top six" -> good thing he's on the Aeros. That's how I interpreted the rather vague sentence.

it was vague, but I thought you guys might remember James Sheppard and Colton Gillies. It hasn't been that long, has it?

Thanks for reading.

Peter Prohaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2012, 04:47 PM
nickschultzfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Prohaska View Post
it was vague, but I thought you guys might remember James Sheppard and Colton Gillies. It hasn't been that long, has it?

Thanks for reading.
Most of us got what you were saying.

But in the defense of others, Wild fans have tried to scrub the majority of post-2003, pre-Fletcher memories. Thelen, Pouliot, Sheppard, Gillies, etc. do not exist. They are nothing but shadows in the mist.

nickschultzfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2012, 05:23 PM
FUBAR McDangles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Prohaska View Post

Thanks for reading.
Oh that makes sense when I go back and read it. It's just that, when I first read it, it seemed like the writer was criticizing moving Coyle to the AHL rather than letting him stay in Juniors or wherever else. It makes sense now

Old
10-16-2012, 09:48 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Cuma was drafted as a potential top four two-way defenseman who would use his excellent skating to shut down the other team and potentially add a bit of offense. Closer to a Nick Schultz than Tom Gilbert, who is a highly skilled PP QB and puck moving defenseman. Of course at this point Cuma is a very long shot from making an NHL roster as he just hasn't shown anything at the AHL level.

Jarick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2012, 10:46 AM
Victorious Secret
Dr. Chuck Evil

vCash: 16145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Cuma was drafted as a potential top four two-way defenseman who would use his excellent skating to shut down the other team and potentially add a bit of offense. Closer to a Nick Schultz than Tom Gilbert, who is a highly skilled PP QB and puck moving defenseman. Of course at this point Cuma is a very long shot from making an NHL roster as he just hasn't shown anything at the AHL level.
I wouldn't say he is a long shot from making an NHL roster because he hasn't shown anything at the AHL level. He showed some consistency last year and pretty solid on the defensive side. I'd say he won't make it to the NHL, because of the influx of talent with every free agency signing and every draft commodity. Right now, Cuma is only looking at a 5/6 pairing for the next couple years if no one else comes in.

Victorious Secret is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2012, 11:24 AM
nickschultzfan

I'm keeping my finger crossed for Cuma.

But the kid's best quality pre-draft was his skating. He was smooth like butter. I haven't watched him too much since then, but double knee injuries kind of went after his best trait.

nickschultzfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2012, 11:45 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

His skating is still incredibly smooth. As a defenseman it was his skating agility and not speed that is an asset.

I think the big thing is his window has closed. As a first round pick, you are given more ice time and opportunities. But for the Wild there are far more players now that are further up the totem pole. Nobody is going to give him a free roster spot and/or top ice time, so unless he jumps out of nowhere and dominates, he's going to get lost in the mix.

The other kicker is his two injuries basically cost him two years of development, maybe more as he's had to try and get back to where he was from before. Again, unless he has a huge breakout year he'll have had three unimpressive AHL campaigns under his belt and likely a pretty short career.

Old
10-16-2012, 11:45 AM
bozak911
Ignoring Idiots

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickschultzfan View Post
I'm keeping my finger crossed for Cuma.

But the kid's best quality pre-draft was his skating. He was smooth like butter. I haven't watched him too much since then, but double knee injuries kind of went after his best trait.
I don't think the knee surgeries will keep him out... I just think they will set him back. The common perception is that it takes about a full year of playing after a major knee surgery before they get back to where they were... This will be the year for Cuma, not last season.

Which... I gotta say... While writing up the FRB prospect profile on Brodin, my brain was all awash with doom and gloom scenarios of something happening to his ankles/knees/hips. He is so bendy, that if any of that gets taken away, how much will impact his elite level skating?

And then I thought about concussions...

Blah. My brain goes all doom and gloom sometimes...

bozak911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2012, 11:52 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

The positive for Brodin is that he's not an overly physical player who will stress his body and that he has the smarts to avoid those situations. Like Lidstrom.

Dumba is more the kind of guy you worry about running players and just wrecking his body.

Old
10-16-2012, 01:06 PM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
His skating is still incredibly smooth. As a defenseman it was his skating agility and not speed that is an asset.

I think the big thing is his window has closed. As a first round pick, you are given more ice time and opportunities. But for the Wild there are far more players now that are further up the totem pole. Nobody is going to give him a free roster spot and/or top ice time, so unless he jumps out of nowhere and dominates, he's going to get lost in the mix.

The other kicker is his two injuries basically cost him two years of development, maybe more as he's had to try and get back to where he was from before. Again, unless he has a huge breakout year he'll have had three unimpressive AHL campaigns under his belt and likely a pretty short career.
I'd say that 22 is far too early to be writing off a defenseman. No, he's not going to be a start top pairing guy, but at the very least he still has a shot to be a bottom pairing, or even still a top-4 type guy.

Look at defensemen throughout the league. Guys like Clayton Stoner make it as bottom pair or depth guys all the time despite not seeing NHL ice until they're 25. Here's just a few guys I looked up randomly (for lack of a better method) to see when they "made it" to the NHL:

Mike Commodore - 26
Raitis Ivanans - 27
Filip Kuba - 24
Marek Zidlicky - 26
Greg Zanon - 26
Tom Gilbert - 24
Willie Mitchell - 24
Brad Bombardir - 25
Keith Carney - 25

No, those guys aren't stars, but they all had respectable NHL careers. Those are just a few that I picked off the top of my head (and then checked Elite Prospects). The point is, you can't write off a 22 year old defenseman "because he was a first rounder and should have made it by now." He'll get a very good shot. Assuming we have an NHL season, he won't be pressed for ice time in Houston as Scandella will be back with the big club, Brodin might be, and injuries are likely to call Kampfer up at some point.

It's not like there's a huge log-jam of defensemen in our system at the AHL or NHL level. Looking ahead two years we have Suter, Brodin, Scandella, and Spurgeon. I think Falk's likely to be gone, and I wouldn't expect us to bring back Prosser or Stoner. Gilbert may or may not be back on a lower contract. Cuma will be competing for one of three spots with Kampfer (if he's retained), Dumba (if he's ready), and any free agent signings. Basically, he has two years of prime chances in Houston to prove to the brass that they don't need to bring in a free agent or trade for someone to replace him. If he fails, it'll be on his own merit.

squidz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2012, 01:12 PM
keppel146
We love Bacon

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickschultzfan View Post
Most of us got what you were saying.

But in the defense of others, Wild fans have tried to scrub the majority of post-2003, pre-Fletcher memories. Thelen, Pouliot, Sheppard, Gillies, etc. do not exist. They are nothing but shadows in the mist.
agreed. i dont get how one can strike out so many times. And I do not want to add Cuma to that list

keppel146 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2012, 04:24 PM
FUBAR McDangles

Quote:
Originally Posted by squidz View Post

Mike Commodore - 26
But Squidz, you have to look at what Commodore had going for him. I just can't see Cuma ever getting to this level.

Old
10-16-2012, 04:25 PM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyratoku View Post
But Squidz, you have to look at what Commodore had going for him. I just can't see Cuma ever getting to this level.

I fully concede the point. Cuma could never hope to compare to that.

squidz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2012, 04:28 PM
Victorious Secret
Dr. Chuck Evil

Cuma would have to grow a beard to the bottom of his shorts to equal Commodore's 'fro level.

Old
10-16-2012, 04:33 PM
forthewild

I am not writing off cuma because of his injuries, sure he may not am mount to his draft position but its not his fault he had what two major knee surgeries that is a lot of development time gone

forthewild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2012, 04:36 PM
Victorious Secret
Dr. Chuck Evil

Only if Eberle would have dropped one more. Even though we probably would have drafted Cuma anyways. Ah well.