HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Arizona Coyotes
Notices

The 2012-2013 NHL Lockout Discussion Thread

View Poll Results: Will there be any NHL games before 8/15/13?
Heck yeah! 11 44.00%
Only on my Playstation 14 56.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Old
10-16-2012, 01:34 AM
Colt45Blast
It Works Everytime!

vCash: 500
The only thing funny I can find so far related to the lockout.

Colt45Blast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2012, 01:40 AM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Walk from hotel bar to Coyote Joe's, take cab to Tim's Toyota Center to catch the game, cab back to Coyote Joe's, pub crawl the Whiskey row. Yeah, sounds excellent.

rt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2012, 08:14 AM
TickleMeYandle
Not so fast,

We're going to the game on the 27th, spending the night in Prescott without the kids. Maybe as we get closer to the date, more Coyotes will sign and it will be just as good as an NHL game. Maybe.

TickleMeYandle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2012, 09:17 AM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clownquestion View Post
We're going to the game on the 27th, spending the night in Prescott without the kids. Maybe as we get closer to the date, more Coyotes will sign and it will be just as good as an NHL game. Maybe.
You might get Paul Bissonnette, but that's about it.

Old
10-16-2012, 11:50 AM
Naurutger
#FreeMax

vCash: 1329
Pierre LeBrun @Real_ESPNLeBrun
Quote:
Bettman says offer contingent on having 82-game season which would begin Nov 2. Says league offered 50/50 share of HRR
I dont care how it ends but my expectations for the PA are low considering going from 57% to 50% is a big drop.

Update:
Quote:
NHLPA has a conference call at 5pm to discuss the NHL's offer with its membership.
Update 2:

Offer details:

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2...for-contracts/

Last edited by Naurutger: 10-16-2012 at 02:11 PM.
Naurutger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2012, 03:04 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Maybe I'm just jaded and/or ignorant but this latest "50/50" offer seems more like a really clever PR grab, than anything else. Last I checked these guys couldn't even agree on what the definition of HRR actually was or what 50% even meant. Makes sense for the BOG, though. Their first offer was seen as more of a slap in the face than a good faith offer and the latest one smacks of a bully offer, really. It looks GREAT in a headline. Fifty/fifty just sounds so reasonable, doesn't it? All anyone is talking about is that the owners really want 82 games. If the players don't work something out based on this offer they are going to look REALLY bad REGARDLESS of whether it's actually a good offer, or not. Public perception is definitely now on the side of the owners.

Old
10-16-2012, 05:14 PM
Tanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
Maybe I'm just jaded and/or ignorant but this latest "50/50" offer seems more like a really clever PR grab, than anything else.... Public perception is definitely now on the side of the owners.
Very much so.

http://deadspin.com/5951872/inside-a...out-propaganda

Tanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2012, 05:49 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

After re-reading my post I should mention that I'm totally in favor of the owners and I think the players would be ridiculously lucky to get even the first offer the owners had tabled, that every gasped at. I feel even that one was way too sweet for the players.

Old
10-16-2012, 06:42 PM
YotesFan47

Everything on that seems fine, I think if I was a player or GM I would want the contract length cap to be 8 years though.

YotesFan47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2012, 06:44 PM
RemoAZ
Stugots

I've thought 50/50 was the owner's target all along. They just had to make it look like a big concession on their part. To do that they had to start lower, put a bunch of other items on the table they knew they'd eventually remove and put the player's backs against the wall as to when they start losing checks. So now they've put a 50/50 offer on the table that doesn't change much of the rest of the old CBA and only gave the players a couple days to accept it and still play all 82 games. If the players accept this the owners win in a land slide which is why I don't think they will.

RemoAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2012, 07:17 PM
PHX FireBirds18

I also want to mention for anyone that hasn't been to a Sun Dogs game. All the bars in and around the Toyota Center seem to do a good job of supporting the local team. By that, I mean dollar drinks at pretty much every place I stopped in at on game day.

PHX FireBirds18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2012, 07:20 PM
PHX FireBirds18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clownquestion View Post
Chipchura is going to look like a dominant Hanzal and Schlemko will displaying Lidstrom like poise out there. Don't mean to rag on any professional team but the talent level just isn't very high. Minor hockey has it's benefits though. Last time there was a big line brawl at the end and the crowd despite being small is very engaged.

Old
10-16-2012, 07:25 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Whiskey Row is like a ten minute cab ride away, right?

Old
10-16-2012, 07:30 PM
Sinurgy
Embrace Passion

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHX FireBirds18 View Post
Chipchura is going to look like a dominant Hanzal and Schlemko will displaying Lidstrom like poise out there. Don't mean to rag on any professional team but the talent level just isn't very high. Minor hockey has it's benefits though. Last time there was a big line brawl at the end and the crowd despite being small is very engaged.
Chip is going to play for the Sun Dogs as well?

Sinurgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2012, 07:58 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

So it sounds like the NHL is using the same HRR definitions existing in the previous CBA. This surprises me. I expected the whole 50% thing to be a complete red herring meant only to convince the masses that the NHL was trying to make everything all "even steven" (despite the devil in the details). In this case, this doesn't seem like a terrible offer. Gain an entire year's salary, give up 7% (overall, by the end of the term), and lose a little bit on ELC, UFA, and term limit. I bet ELC and UFA end up staying the same in the new CBA as they were in the old one, anyway. Term limit probably goes to six years, which is totally fine. Sounds like the NHL offer has some salary retention for trade purposes, too, which is great for have-not owners, all GMs and all players. That, to me, probably really helps soften the term limit blow.

Can someone explain to me how a final deal where the HRR(previous CBA definition) split stays 50/50, the ELC and UFA terms are the same as the previous CBA, the contract term limit is 6yrs, and there is an allowance for salary retention for the purposes of trade is not completely fair for the players? Or at least good enough to get the damn season started and a six year CBA signed with some mutual re-up clauses?

Old
10-16-2012, 10:43 PM
AZcoyotes
So... Now what?

I'm not sure where to put this, but with the Sundogs talk, I figured here is alright.

I've been thinking about making the trip up to Prescott either with a few friends, or possibly taking a date to go watch a Dogs game. Where is the best place to buy tickets for them? Online? At the gate? I assume they don't sell out?

AZcoyotes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2012, 11:04 PM
Colt45Blast
It Works Everytime!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhXcoyotes View Post
I'm not sure where to put this, but with the Sundogs talk, I figured here is alright.

I've been thinking about making the trip up to Prescott either with a few friends, or possibly taking a date to go watch a Dogs game. Where is the best place to buy tickets for them? Online? At the gate? I assume they don't sell out?
http://www.arizonasundogs.com/tickets/individual/

Info at the link and they draw pretty well up there. It helps as well that they won a title not too long ago as well.

Old
10-17-2012, 12:39 AM
TheMurdocktor
102, Row K, Seat 4

While we're on the Sundogs...I did my journalism capstone project on them last year, and it was awesome. Got inside access for a couple of games and practices, and all of them were extremely helpful and considerate. The fans up there are really passionate too, despite the trend of smaller crowds.

TheMurdocktor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2012, 02:42 AM
Sinurgy
Embrace Passion

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMurdocktor View Post
The fans up there are really passionate too, despite the trend of smaller crowds.
It is in Prescott, how big of a crowd can they realistically expect?

Old
10-17-2012, 05:30 AM
PHX FireBirds18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinurgy View Post
Chip is going to play for the Sun Dogs as well?
http://coyotes.nhl.com/club/news.htm...id=DL|PHX|home

It's on the Sun Dogs website as well.

Quote:
It is in Prescott, how big of a crowd can they realistically expect?
Realistically people should expect anywhere from 3-4 thousand people. I think it can almost sit 6 but not entirely sure. They have a great fan base and they really know how to have a good time.

Old
10-17-2012, 01:05 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=407541

This is a very, very reasonable offer. The players will likely want more revenue sharing built in (from what I can tell, the 7% reduction in player HRR share is essentially accounting for what the NHL is calling revenue sharing in this proposal), and they'll probably look to get that five yr. max contract length increased to seven (maybe settle on six, but potentially willing to give on ELC to take on max length). Everything looks totally reasonable.

I mean, if the HRR language remains the same, than it's legitimately 50/50 and the details do NOT appear AT ALL devilish. Plus, they get paid to player hockey in the NHL this season.

NHL PR stunt or not, the NHLPA would be stupid not to accept something similar to this deal before the NHL's deadline. Wiggle a bit, and make minor tweaks, but if they don't basically accept this offer, they have only themselves to blame for how badly they are going to get boned both in terms of future compensation and in public image.

I honestly believe that if the players don't work something out based on this latest NHL offer in the next couple of weeks to get started in November, that it will be the best offer they ever receive. If this new CBA gets sorted out in December or next summer, the NHLPA will be getting a much worse deal.

Old
10-17-2012, 01:45 PM
Sinurgy
Embrace Passion

Quote:

This is a very, very reasonable offer. The players will likely want more revenue sharing built in (from what I can tell, the 7% reduction in player HRR share is essentially accounting for what the NHL is calling revenue sharing in this proposal), and they'll probably look to get that five yr. max contract length increased to seven (maybe settle on six, but potentially willing to give on ELC to take on max length). Everything looks totally reasonable.

I mean, if the HRR language remains the same, than it's legitimately 50/50 and the details do NOT appear AT ALL devilish. Plus, they get paid to player hockey in the NHL this season.

NHL PR stunt or not, the NHLPA would be stupid not to accept something similar to this deal before the NHL's deadline. Wiggle a bit, and make minor tweaks, but if they don't basically accept this offer, they have only themselves to blame for how badly they are going to get boned both in terms of future compensation and in public image.

I honestly believe that if the players don't work something out based on this latest NHL offer in the next couple of weeks to get started in November, that it will be the best offer they ever receive. If this new CBA gets sorted out in December or next summer, the NHLPA will be getting a much worse deal.
I don't see Fehr accepting "reasonable", mark my words, he's going to make this as nasty of a fight as possible.

Old
10-17-2012, 05:27 PM
kihekah19

Quote:
I don't see Fehr accepting "reasonable", mark my words, he's going to make this as nasty of a fight as possible.
I fear (or is it fair?) the same. I believe Fehr's ego to be the problem and the players fools for buying into him.

kihekah19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2012, 05:57 PM
Colt45Blast
It Works Everytime!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kihekah19 View Post
I fear (or is it fair?) the same. I believe Fehr's ego to be the problem and the players fools for buying into him.
The players brought into him based on his track record with MLB and the fact that the previous NHLPA President had sold out the players by letting the NHL get the salary cap they wanted.

Old
10-17-2012, 07:14 PM
awfulwaffle

Quote:
Whiskey Row is like a ten minute cab ride away, right?
15 minutes if you are lucky. Highway 69 is flooded with stop lights between Prescott Valley and Prescott.

awfulwaffle is offline   Reply With Quote