HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

What's jarome iginlas value?

Old
10-16-2012, 06:41 PM
pdd

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by stryfe604 View Post
Purcell - Stamkos - Iginla
Malone - Vinny - St. Louis

Older top 6, but a good looking one. If we were really in cup contention (Lindback and new D worked out) I would highly consider Connolly for Iginla.
St. Louis stays with Stamkos. That combination is GOLD. Iginla with Vinny. Malone probably with Iginla and Vinny for the dichotomy of a skill line and a power line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafsYoungGuns View Post
id love him on TO.
Lupul ? Kessel
JVR Grabo Iginla

would give Colborne + 2nd
Bozak+Colborne+2nd for Iginla+Stajan?

Lupul/Stajan/Kessel
JVR/Grabo/Iginla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trillmike View Post
Here's something I was thinking about after originally reading the thread: How would Iginla's game transfer to a full season in the Eastern Conference? Don't get me wrong, Iginla is a star player, but when I think about him I see him built for the defensive/physical grind of the West (that he's been through so many times before).

From a quick glance, he scored 19ish pt's (mental math) against Eastern teams last season. I consider him to be one of the best power forwards in the league over the past 10+ years. Do you think he would produce a lot more offensive numbers on an Eastern team?
Iginla would "have a renaissance" if he went to the East, due to the relative ease of scoring in the conference. If he went to a team that had a talented playmaker to line him up with (Pittsburgh, Carolina, Ottawa, Philadelphia, Tampa Bay, Washington) he could still put up some pretty serious numbers.

pdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2012, 06:44 PM
Vankiller Whale
Maybe HE can score

vCash: 5555
Iginla to Pittsburgh makes the most sense in my mind.

Vankiller Whale is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2012, 07:33 PM
BlueBaron

I seem to recall Mats being worth a conditional 2nd (condition being he signed) to the Habs, so I will say that is his value.

BlueBaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2012, 08:10 PM
eklunds source
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kack zassian View Post
I see him being Doan 2.0 and playing out the next 4 years in Calgary for less than market value.
If he's Doan 2.0, he plays out the next 4 years in Calgary for far more than market value.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Dion View Post
I have always said Iginla would produce more in the East. It's certainly the case for most players. First line studs in the East become top 6 forwards in the West. See Richards, Carter and Jokinen for recent examples. Than look at what a legitimate star center did for a player like Neal in Pittsburgh. Iginla has played with third line centers his whole career. Offensively he is very underrated.

My issue with Iginla has been how piss poor his defensive game has been the past 2-3 seasons. He's been brutal in his own end. I do think he gets way undervalued offensively. Put him in the east with a Crosby/Giroux/Spezza type and I think he hits 50 goals again with relative ease.
I half agree with you... Kudos for picking up on the fact that at even strength, Iginla is straight up a liability. He can still be a very effective powerplay shooter but at even strength he needs to be protected from opposing top dmen/forwards because otherwise he just gets hemmed in his own end.

As far as how many goals he would score with a Crosby/Giroux/Spezza... There's no way he hits 50, let alone "with ease". The last 4 years he's averaged 271 shots a year...To score 50 goals with ~270 shots, he needs to shoot 18.5%. His career average is 13.3% and he's cracked 15% twice in his career.

He would need to:

a) not miss a game,
b) have prime offensive minutes (#1-PP and lots of offensive zone faceoffs),
c) be paired with a great playmaker,
d) be protected from tough minutes,
e) have a resurgence in his shot totals,
f) get lucky with his shooting percentage

- and that's all just for him to have a chance at 50.

eklunds source is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2012, 08:10 PM
Jozay
lolwut?

vCash: 1020
A late first and a c prospect....only because its Feaster.

Jozay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2012, 08:38 PM
funky

Would love him in L.A, a place he would have a great shot at the cup.

L.A has enough depth to offer a nice package. Salary would have to be moved by L.A and we woul be overloaded at RW so I would propose:

Iginla and Karlsson

For

Williams, Bernier, Richardson and Loktionov

Reason

Iggy on a line with Kopitar and Brown could be devastating
Karlsson is good enough to backup workhorse Quick until Jones is ready in a year or two

Williams is a 50 to 60 point player replacing some of Iggy's offense and is finally healthy
Bernier can team with Irving to replace Kipper if Calgary does rebuild
Loktionov needs a chance to play a bigger role, people will actually notice him as he lights up the AHL during lockout. Plays center, and is turning into a ready roster player quickly.
Richardson is a speedy utility bottom 6 guy that plays all 3 forward positions. Has some skill, lots of determination. If Calgary needs more, Clifford would be a great substitute for Richardson and Calgary fans would love him.

Of course this is all hypothetical and if Iggy was traded I would believe it would be near the deadline with Calgary out.

If traded at season start I would guess ownership embraces a rebuild and Kipper is gone as well. Kipper to T.O may net a roster player, prospect and pick as well.

Either way can't see it happening, just would like to see L.A load up on a cup hungry offensive winger that fits their style - Iggy fits to a T. I would also like to see Calgary rebuild while it still has two great pieces to start it.

funky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2012, 02:34 AM
Double Dion
Jets fan 30/06/2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by eklunds source View Post
If he's Doan 2.0, he plays out the next 4 years in Calgary for far more than market value.

I half agree with you... Kudos for picking up on the fact that at even strength, Iginla is straight up a liability. He can still be a very effective powerplay shooter but at even strength he needs to be protected from opposing top dmen/forwards because otherwise he just gets hemmed in his own end.

As far as how many goals he would score with a Crosby/Giroux/Spezza... There's no way he hits 50, let alone "with ease". The last 4 years he's averaged 271 shots a year...To score 50 goals with ~270 shots, he needs to shoot 18.5%. His career average is 13.3% and he's cracked 15% twice in his career.

He would need to:

a) not miss a game,
b) have prime offensive minutes (#1-PP and lots of offensive zone faceoffs),
c) be paired with a great playmaker,
d) be protected from tough minutes,
e) have a resurgence in his shot totals,
f) get lucky with his shooting percentage

- and that's all just for him to have a chance at 50.
Take a look at the spike in shooting percentage for Hartnell and Michalek when they began playing with elite centermen.

Michalek went up 6%, Hartnell 4.5%. All Iginla needs to do by your own stat analysis is go up the amount those two guys have.

It also bears some thought that his shot totals would go up if he is no longer the focal point of the opposition in the offensive end. For instance, Crosby would be the guy you'd want to focus on whereas Iginla would receive less defensive attention. Glencross is our second best goal scorer and I love his game, but who are you paying more attention to in the offensive end? That changes with a Crosby type linemate.

It also bears some thought that Iginla hasn't even played with "average" players in the pivot position. Guys like Stajan, Backlund and David Moss have centered him over the past couple of seasons. Backlund has some potential still, but I don't think even their biggest fans would call any of those players better than 3rd liners. Hartnell and Michalek had better linemates before than Iginla does presently.

Double Dion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2012, 07:43 AM
Oates2Neely

To BOS:
Iginla

To CGY:
Caron
Knight
2nd
T.Thomas

Close, flames fans?

Lucic-Krejci-Seguin
Marchand-Bergeron-Iginla
Peverly-Kelly-Horton

Last edited by Oates2Neely: 10-17-2012 at 08:00 AM.
Oates2Neely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2012, 08:21 AM
nmbr_24

I am going to guess that if he is traded the return will be a 1st round pick, a prospect or even two prospects, neither of them of the blue chip variety, and a 3rd liner at the deadline to a contender.

nmbr_24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2012, 08:23 AM
nmbr_24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oates2Neely View Post
To BOS:
Iginla

To CGY:
Caron
Knight
2nd
T.Thomas

Close, flames fans?

Lucic-Krejci-Seguin
Marchand-Bergeron-Iginla
Peverly-Kelly-Horton
I am not a Flames fan, but I am guessing you would need to change the 2nd to a 1st and then it would be a pretty good deal. Caron and Knight are both pretty sure things to be useful players in the NHL even if they are 3rd liners with 2nd line potential. The 1st throws it to another level and makes it much easier for the Flames to accept losing Iginla.

Old
10-17-2012, 08:26 AM
Oates2Neely

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmbr_24 View Post
I am not a Flames fan, but I am guessing you would need to change the 2nd to a 1st.
Perhaps. But Knight & Caron 'could' end being 2 players who in the next 2 seasons could be contributing in Calgarys' top-6. Personally, I with Knight in the deal, I wouldn't add a 1st.

Oates2Neely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2012, 08:44 AM
nmbr_24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oates2Neely View Post
Perhaps. But Knight & Caron 'could' end being 2 players who in the next 2 seasons could be contributing in Calgarys' top-6. Personally, I with Knight in the deal, I wouldn't add a 1st.
Actually I think I misread the op's question. He asked what would he be worth if the year was lost to a lockout and in that case I think he is only worth a 3rd round pick if we are talking negotiating rights.

I was going under the assumption that he was asking what he would be worth sometime this year where he could actually play for your team.

I can see why you would be hesitant to make a deal with both Knight, Caron, and a 1st because both Caron and Knight are close to being sure things as being able to play in the NHL, the only question is what their ceiling will be. This deal stands a pretty good chance to be better than the deal where Pittsburgh acquired Hossa, and a pretty great chance at that. Caron is already better than anyone Atlanta got in that deal.

Old
10-17-2012, 02:27 PM
PoundCake
Go Bolts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stryfe604 View Post
Holy **** Pound where in the hell have you been? Thought you left the boards completely. Welcome back friend.

With Iginla is see more flex on the top 6. You could interchange all the wings.

Purcell/Malone - Stamkos - St.Louis/Iginla
Purcell/Malone - Vinny - St.Louis/Iginla

The big point I was trying to make is the only way we would trade Connolly (I also think as of right now Iginla is worth a little more than Connolly alone.) Is if we are serious cup contenders. If we some how look like a favourite going into the deadline and we need a solid top 6 rental player. Iginla would be ideal for us in that situation. That scenario is the only way I see trading Connolly right now (he also fits the Yzerplan well.)
Haha, thanks man. I've been around. I still read a lot of HFBoards, but mostly from my cell phone, so I don't post as much (can't stand typing on a phone). Different work schedule and time zone too. There currently isn't much going on in the NHL right now to talk about anyways (besides the lockout).

Yeah, Iggy in the Bolt's top 6 would offer a ton of flexibility. Knowing Boucher, he'd run every combination too.

If the bolt's were serious contenders, and Iginla was the missing piece, I could see paying a pretty good price for him.

It would have to be contingent on none of the current prospects (Connolly/Brown/Conacher/Killorn) being able to play well in a top 6 role.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eva unit zero View Post
St. Louis stays with Stamkos. That combination is GOLD.
True, but right now any combination with Stamkos is gold. He'll have to play without Marty eventually anyways.

Quote:
Iginla with Vinny.
I tend to like this. Iginla is still a great goal scorer, and Vinny is still a great playmaker.

Quote:
Malone probably with Iginla and Vinny for the dichotomy of a skill line and a power line.
This might make sense from an outsiders perspective, but as most Bolt's fans will tell you, Vinny and Malone don't have the best chemistry. It's not that they play bad together, but that they just play better with other players.

Also, I would prefer to have a power forward on a Line with Stammer and Marty. I don't like Iginla and Stamkos on the same line because Iginla should really be the go-to goal scorer on what ever line he is on (IMO).

As far as what the Lightning would offer right now? Probably not enough to get it done.

The Bolt's do have an opening in their top 6 though. If nobody is able to fill that hole adequately and the Bolt's are serious cup contenders, then a top prospect+ might be a possibility at the deadline. (like stryfe said).

PoundCake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2012, 04:39 PM
Human
cynic

he's getting traded to the Pens at the deadline for less than the Flames fans expect.

Human is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2012, 06:07 PM
Drydenwasthebest

If Montreal is in contention at the deadline, I would offer our 1st, Geoffrion, and Thrower (or similar prospects of Calgary's choice). Since I think we will be in the playoff hunt, I believe Iginla on a line with Plekanec and Gionta would be great. Of course, by the trade deadline it might be Iginla, Plekanec and Galchenyuk! Imagine that as your 2nd line! Ah well, one can dream.

Drydenwasthebest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2012, 07:02 PM
ponder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamester View Post
Lets suppose the year is gone due to the lockout. At age 36 what would Iginla's value be . What would the flames be able to get in return ?
Quote:
Yea I know but I'm pretty sure the guy would leave like that. Flames would probably do a sign and trade or something
As others have noted, if the season is lost Iginla will become a UFA, so his trade value would be next to nothing. This isn't the NBA, nobody ever does "sign and trades" with pending UFAs. Almost always you will either re-sign the player or lose him for nothing, it's pretty rare to see a team trade for someone's negotiating rights, and when they do the returns are trash. For example, in the 2011 offseason Ehrhoff's negotiating rights were traded twice, both times for a 4th round pick, and he was one of the top UFAs on the market.

The best return I can ever remember for the negotiating rights to a UFA was when Nashville traded the rights to Timonen AND Hartnell to Philly for a late 1st (23rd overall) in a very weak draft. That was TWO players for one pick, and Hartnell was in his mid 20s while Timonen was in his early 30s. The trade you're proposing would happen next offseason, when Iginla will be turning 36. The return for Iginla's negotiating rights would probably be in the range of a 2nd-4th round pick, at best.

If there IS a season, and the Flames trade him at the deadline (or before), then his return should be the standard return for an ageing star rental player, something along the lines of a late 1st, a decent prospect and a lower end roster player. Basically a similar deal to Kovy to the Devils, Hossa to the Pens, Kaberle to the Bruins, etc.

ponder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2012, 07:07 PM
RespectYourEdlers

To Vancouver:
Jarome Iginla

To Calgary:
Keith Ballard
Mason Raymond
3rd round pick

RespectYourEdlers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2012, 07:09 PM
Vankiller Whale
Maybe HE can score

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
In the fake Canucks season thread on our board(basically following NHL 13 during the lockout), Calgary legit offered us Iginla for Raymond, Ballard, 3rd.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RespectYourEdlers
To Vancouver:
Jarome Iginla

To Calgary:
Keith Ballard
Mason Raymond
3rd round pick
To preempt any misunderstandings

Old
10-17-2012, 07:22 PM
dannyboy8920
I cheer for Losers

would Carolina give up the market value if they ended up being top of the heap come trade deadline?

dannyboy8920 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2012, 11:30 PM
pdd

Thinking on Tampa Bay...

To TBL
Iginla
Glencross

To CGY
Purcell
Connolly
+

Malone/Stamkos/St.Louis
Glencross/Lecavalier/Iginla

pdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2012, 11:34 PM
stryfe604
Believes in Yzergod

l
Quote:
Thinking on Tampa Bay...

To TBL
Iginla
Glencross

To CGY
Purcell
Connolly
+

Malone/Stamkos/St.Louis
Glencross/Lecavalier/Iginla
Would never trade Purcell because of his chemistry with Stamkos and Vinny.

stryfe604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2012, 11:51 PM
Flamester

Of want a 1st, thrower and Collberg just because the fact if you guys do make the playoffs it would be a late pick . Or just Gallagher and a 1st

Flamester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2012, 11:52 PM
Flamester

How about Eddie lack, Raymond , and a 1st

Old
10-17-2012, 11:54 PM
Flamester

Iggy would never never never go to Tampa. But if it were to happen I'd want Connolly, 1st and 2nd

Old
10-17-2012, 11:58 PM
Vankiller Whale
Maybe HE can score

Quote:
How about Eddie lack, Raymond , and a 1st
That's actually a pretty tempting offer. It would have to be at the deadline though. I'd want to see if Kassian can play that role before giving up that much for Iginla now. Might have to change it for a 2nd then, but who knows?

Although I highly doubt Iginla would ever end up in Vancouver.