HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Arizona Coyotes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Official 2012-2013 Personnel Acquistion/Speculation Thread

Old
10-06-2012, 11:41 AM
rt
Usually Incorrect

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devils Advocate View Post
No sarcasm whatsoever. I'd happily welcome Lombardi back for an entire season.....Pyatt would be an ideal pickup for the playoffs.
Oh, okay. Me too. Moss will be injured by then anyway. Haha.

10-06-2012, 11:53 AM
Devils Advocate
mmmmmm....Crow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
Oh, okay. Me too. Moss will be injured by then anyway. Haha.
Speaking of Moss, its too bad his parents didn't have a better sense of humour and name him Pete.

Devils Advocate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2012, 12:22 AM
rt
Usually Incorrect

So, it sounds like there is a good chance that the new CBA will allow teams to retain some salary in trades. Might be a very good thing for us. We could potentially afford some pretty pricey players in trade, if rich teams are wilking to hang onto some of the salary.

This is better than amnesty buy outs. Even really good players who are overpaid, but not necessary buy out candidates might be more realistic acquisitions for us, if we are willing to sacrifice good assets and the other team is willing to eat some wage.

rt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2012, 01:49 AM
XX
Lots of Try

Quote:
So, it sounds like there is a good chance that the new CBA will allow teams to retain some salary in trades. Might be a very good thing for us. We could potentially afford some pretty pricey players in trade, if rich teams are wilking to hang onto some of the salary.

This is better than amnesty buy outs. Even really good players who are overpaid, but not necessary buy out candidates might be more realistic acquisitions for us, if we are willing to sacrifice good assets and the other team is willing to eat some wage.
Aren't the Yotes 4.5 mil or so from the floor, even after Doan, with 23 players under contract? Something has to give. Anyone got any ideas of who might fit into the above criteria? Stastny comes to mind.

XX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2012, 10:05 AM
rt
Usually Incorrect

There is no floor. The old CBA is history.

If I understand the latest NHL offer correctly, the expected ceiling and floor should drop drastically, but teams will be allowed to exceed the cap up to 70mil for one season.

Old
10-17-2012, 11:03 AM
hbk

Teams can't hide players in the minors either. Wade Redden for example counts against the cap. Maloney and his cap space all of a sudden has even more leverage on deals.

hbk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2012, 11:10 AM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbk View Post
Teams can't hide players in the minors either. Wade Redden for example counts against the cap. Maloney and his cap space all of a sudden has even more leverage on deals.
Has that come out? I thought that was speculation PRIOR to the new deal tabled?

Old
10-17-2012, 11:31 AM
hbk

Quote:
Has that come out? I thought that was speculation PRIOR to the new deal tabled?
That's in the latest offer.

Old
10-17-2012, 11:32 AM
rt
Usually Incorrect

We spent $50,109,904.00 on NHL salaries last season if you don't count any of Sauer's contract. It seems likely at least a portion, if not the whole salary was NOT paid for by insurance, however. Or at least it's not likely it was covered at one hundred percent. So we need to add at least some portion of $01,750,000.00 which would give us a range of...

$50,109,904.00 - $51,859,904.00

Maloney's comments made it seem like he was well under budget at the beginning of the season, but we don't know how close he was at season's end, or whether or not he was actually forced to add Sauer into his player budget. He's also stated that he believes his budget will be increased next season. I assume he likes to keep a decent amount of wiggle room for mid season changes, so maybe we can assume that his pre-season budget is something like 51-52m? I'll play it safe and call it 51.5m, even though I believe it'll be more.

Right now, according to cap-geek, with a roster of...

Doan-Vermette-Boedker
Sullivan-Hanzal-Vrbata
Korpikoski-Gordon-Moss
Torres-Chipchura-Johnson
Bissonnette

OEL-Michalek
Yandle-Morris
Klesla-Schlemko
Summers

Smith
LaBarbera

...we are at $48,053,250.00, which leaves us with $03,446,750.

We can probably afford to add a three or four million dollar player pretty comfortably, but he's likely got to be on an expiring contract.

Last edited by rt: 10-17-2012 at 11:40 AM.
Old
10-17-2012, 11:39 AM
hbk

Quote:
We spent $50,109,904.00 on NHL salaries last season if you don't count any of Sauer's contract. It seems likely at least a portion, if not the whole salary was NOT paid for by insurance, however. Or at least it's not likely it was covered at one hundred percent. So we need to add at least some portion of $01,750,000.00 which would give us a range of...

$50,109,904.00 - $51,859,904.00

Maloney's comments made it seem like he was well under budget at the beginning of the season, but we don't know how close he was at season's end, or whether or not he was actually forced to add Sauer into his player budget. He's also stated that he believes his budget will be increased next season. I assume he likes to keep a decent amount of wiggle room for mid season changes, so maybe we can assume that his pre-season budget is something like 51-52m? I'll play it safe and call it 51.5m, even though I believe it'll be more.

Right now, according to cap-geek, with a roster of...

Doan-Vermette-Boedker
Sullivan-Hanzal-Vrbata
Korpikoski-Gordon-Moss
Torres-Chipchura-Johnson
Bissonnette

OEL-Michalek
Yandle-Morris
Klesla-Schlemko
Summers

Smith
LaBarbera

...we are at $48,053,250.00, which leaves us with $03,446,750.
Keep in mind revenue sharing increases as well.

Old
10-17-2012, 11:49 AM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbk View Post
Keep in mind revenue sharing increases as well.
Fair enough. I would think JIG (JEG?) will probably be more focused on not completely losing their *****, though.

52m seems like a reasonable number to make sure our fan made off-season roster projections come in under, right?

As far as reaching the floor (whatever that will be) if the 70.2 projected cap comes down seven percent (even if teams are allowed to spend to 70.2 for one season) that puts the cap floor at 16m less than 65.286, or 49.286. Capgeek has us at $50,136,583 right now. So the the floor should not be an issue, at all. We should be above it right now.

Old
10-19-2012, 01:27 AM
BUX7PHX

Quote:
Fair enough. I would think JIG (JEG?) will probably be more focused on not completely losing their *****, though.

52m seems like a reasonable number to make sure our fan made off-season roster projections come in under, right?

As far as reaching the floor (whatever that will be) if the 70.2 projected cap comes down seven percent (even if teams are allowed to spend to 70.2 for one season) that puts the cap floor at 16m less than 65.286, or 49.286. Capgeek has us at $50,136,583 right now. So the the floor should not be an issue, at all. We should be above it right now.
Good analysis.

If that is the case, that opens a lot of doors for players that we could talk with other teams about. Maybe get a reasonable RFA like Frolik, whose contract would basically add about $1-2 million, depending on which 5/6 d-man we offered with picks?

BUX7PHX is offline   Reply With Quote