HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Senators Prospects 2012-2013 Season

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-17-2012, 01:09 AM
  #301
QuietOnTheFront
@QuietOnTheFront
 
QuietOnTheFront's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,519
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hale The Villain View Post
Chris Driedger had a 30 save shutout vs Prince George tonight
I'm going to try and snag tickets next time Calgary comes through Vancouver.

I wish the Sens would draft more from the WHL.. I'd have more reasons to catch some Giants games.

QuietOnTheFront is offline  
Old
10-17-2012, 06:52 AM
  #302
Rumcajs
Registered User
 
Rumcajs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,133
vCash: 500
Glad to see Wikstrand doing well. Love our scouts.

Rumcajs is offline  
Old
10-17-2012, 07:17 AM
  #303
operasen
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 3,089
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by steffeG View Post
That was written before the game. So in DaCosta's 0 minutes this season, he failed to dominate.
Tim Murray made the comment on radio here that one of the biggest surprises out of camp was Pageau, who just refuses to take a back seat. He also indicated it was a surprise that DaCosta did not dominate when he had the chance. He was probably out of shape, not sure. It was not a real dis at DaCosta, rather I am in agreement that Pageau has been a good surprise so early into the season. Pageau got the 1C slot over DaCosta based on performance, not because of injury.

operasen is offline  
Old
10-17-2012, 08:53 AM
  #304
BonkTastic
"Small Sample Size!"
 
BonkTastic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Jakarta, IDN
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,209
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuietOnTheFront View Post
I'm going to try and snag tickets next time Calgary comes through Vancouver.

I wish the Sens would draft more from the WHL.. I'd have more reasons to catch some Giants games.
I lived in Vancouver when Andrej Meszaros played his one year with the Giants. It was pretty cool to be able to go to see him regularly play as a junior. I went to about 15 games that year. Great times. Giants games are fun.

Caveat: if you haven't yet been to a Giants game, Pacific Coliseum has kind of been left to rot. When I went in 2005, it looked like they hadn't cleaned the place since the Canucks left.


***EDIT***
They probably cleaned it for the 2010 Olympics.

BonkTastic is offline  
Old
10-17-2012, 01:09 PM
  #305
source
Registered User
 
source's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 5,385
vCash: 500
SEL-2 is equivalent to what... the ECHL? At the absolute maximum?

source is offline  
Old
10-17-2012, 01:28 PM
  #306
Qward
Moderator
Because! That's why!
 
Qward's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Behind you, look out
Posts: 13,448
vCash: 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by source View Post
SEL-2 is equivalent to what... the ECHL? At the absolute maximum?
N.A equivalent would be AHL
Russian equivalent would be MHL

Skills equivalent, that is another story.

Qward is offline  
Old
10-17-2012, 02:14 PM
  #307
Aggen
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 123
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by source View Post
SEL-2 is equivalent to what... the ECHL? At the absolute maximum?
The league and that bad to be honest. In fact. It's really decent for being a 2nd league.

For example, Anze Kopitar so far has had 10 points in 9 games.
Oliver Ekman-Larsson managed to take the step to right into NHL from SEL-2. He had 27 points in 42 games. While 9 of them being goals. The league has developed alot since then. And Wikstrand has managed 7 goals, 9 points in 12 games.

I don't want to overhype it. But I'm saying SEL-2 is not as bad as it comes across.

Aggen is offline  
Old
10-17-2012, 02:20 PM
  #308
wubwubwubwub
What, Me Worry?
 
wubwubwubwub's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 13,172
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuietOnTheFront View Post
I'm going to try and snag tickets next time Calgary comes through Vancouver.

I wish the Sens would draft more from the WHL.. I'd have more reasons to catch some Giants games.
I'm in Vancouver as well. Send me a message and we can meet up and make a riot of it (not literally, crazy Vancouverites).

wubwubwubwub is offline  
Old
10-17-2012, 02:50 PM
  #309
source
Registered User
 
source's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 5,385
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qward View Post
N.A equivalent would be AHL
Russian equivalent would be MHL

Skills equivalent, that is another story.
I guess that's what counts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggen View Post
The league and that bad to be honest. In fact. It's really decent for being a 2nd league.

For example, Anze Kopitar so far has had 10 points in 9 games.
Oliver Ekman-Larsson managed to take the step to right into NHL from SEL-2. He had 27 points in 42 games. While 9 of them being goals. The league has developed alot since then. And Wikstrand has managed 7 goals, 9 points in 12 games.

I don't want to overhype it.
But I'm saying SEL-2 is not as bad as it comes across.
I just think Wikstrand is being overhyped. He wasn't particularly noticeable at the rookie camp, so the conclusion should be:

(a) SEL-2 is a pretty crap league, rather than;

(b) Wikstrand has improved substantially since June

Anyway I'm not surprised people are essentially concluding (b).

source is offline  
Old
10-17-2012, 03:11 PM
  #310
Minister of Offence
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 23,095
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by source View Post
(a) SEL-2 is a pretty crap league, rather than;

(b) Wikstrand has improved substantially since June

Anyway I'm not surprised people are essentially concluding (b).
Well this is logically sound if:

(a) You think development camp is a highly reliable setting to determine how good a prospect is.

Anyway, I'm surprised you're suggesting that. I think you might be suffering from the same bias those that think the WJC is the be-all-end-all just because it's the only time most fans get to see certain players.

I tend to trust the collective of Swedish posters we have here. When they are skeptical, they often turn out to have had reason to be (Rundblad comes to mind, no I haven't called him a bust). When they are decidedly enamored with a player (OEL, Landeskog come to mind) they often come out right.

So far the good words on Wikstrand are universal amongst Swedish fans it seems. He's considered the #1 Dman on an SEL2 team which is more than management could have been asking for.

Minister of Offence is offline  
Old
10-17-2012, 03:15 PM
  #311
TheOriginalSilf*
@real_saundies
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Sudbury, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,327
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by source View Post
I guess that's what counts.

I just think Wikstrand is being overhyped. He wasn't particularly noticeable at the rookie camp, so the conclusion should be:

(a) SEL-2 is a pretty crap league, rather than;

(b) Wikstrand has improved substantially since June

Anyway I'm not surprised people are essentially concluding (b).
I don't think that's correct at all. All we, fans living outside of Sweden with little access to SEL-2 games, can judge a player on is opinion of authority and statistical analysis. Right now, Wikstrand is receiving great praise from several users who watch Mora games. There was a claim that he was without a doubt the best defenseman on the team at this time, too. We can take that how we wish as we don't know how well people judge player talent or potential. However, we then look to the score sheet to see if there's a correlation. He's putting up big points. I don't think it's hard to say that he's doing very, very well right now.

To state that the SEL-2 is "crap" is dumb. It's not elite talent level by any means but I hardly think we should claim that there's no way Wikstrand's actually any good because he's playing in a junior league WHILE HE HIMSELF IS A JUNIOR.

People aren't penciling this guy into the NHL line-up in the next few seasons, but people are excited to hear great things about a 7th round pick that could, potentially, be a steal.

But it's funny that you're using the "he didn't impress me at rookie camp" argument. I'll take how he performs on the ice, in game, over how he looks in comparison to top prospects with, at times, several years of development ahead of him in his first training camp. It certainly feels like you're trying to discredit Wikstrand's play right now for the sake of discrediting his play.

TheOriginalSilf* is offline  
Old
10-17-2012, 03:23 PM
  #312
sg58
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 2,206
vCash: 500
I don't know if I would call Wikstrand overhyped. He's been doing surprisingly well for Mora and he has put up numbers that are unmatched historically, but I don't think I've seen anyone throw around anything ridiculous about him. At best I've seen people say that he'll be at the WJC and take the step to the SEL next year. Nobody has even mentioned an NHL future from what I've seen.

As long as he's looking more than a 7th rounder at this point, four months removed from the draft, we should be happy. And he definitely does. Is he the new Ekman-Larsson because he's been putting up some numbers in the same league? No.

sg58 is offline  
Old
10-17-2012, 03:28 PM
  #313
source
Registered User
 
source's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 5,385
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minister of Offence View Post
Well this is logically sound if:

(a) You think development camp is a highly reliable setting to determine how good a prospect is.

Anyway, I'm surprised you're suggesting that. I think you might be suffering from the same bias those that think the WJC is the be-all-end-all just because it's the only time most fans get to see certain players.

I tend to trust the collective of Swedish posters we have here. When they are skeptical, they often turn out to have had reason to be (Rundblad comes to mind, no I haven't called him a bust). When they are decidedly enamored with a player (OEL, Landeskog come to mind) they often come out right.

So far the good words on Wikstrand are universal amongst Swedish fans it seems. He's considered the #1 Dman on an SEL2 team which is more than management could have been asking for.
I think it's a very useful gauge for comparing one prospect against another. Recently, the following have done very well at the rookie camp: Borowiecki, Da Costa, Winchester, Hoffman, Lehner, Zibanejad, Rundblad, Silfverberg, Prince, Pageau.

How did Landeskog and OEL look at their respective rookie camps? They probably dominated the **** out of them.

I'm not saying that poor performance at a rookie camp seals a player's fate, but, comeon.

source is offline  
Old
10-17-2012, 03:31 PM
  #314
source
Registered User
 
source's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 5,385
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSilfverBullet View Post
I don't think that's correct at all. All we, fans living outside of Sweden with little access to SEL-2 games, can judge a player on is opinion of authority and statistical analysis. Right now, Wikstrand is receiving great praise from several users who watch Mora games. There was a claim that he was without a doubt the best defenseman on the team at this time, too. We can take that how we wish as we don't know how well people judge player talent or potential. However, we then look to the score sheet to see if there's a correlation. He's putting up big points. I don't think it's hard to say that he's doing very, very well right now.

To state that the SEL-2 is "crap" is dumb. It's not elite talent level by any means but I hardly think we should claim that there's no way Wikstrand's actually any good because he's playing in a junior league WHILE HE HIMSELF IS A JUNIOR.

People aren't penciling this guy into the NHL line-up in the next few seasons, but people are excited to hear great things about a 7th round pick that could, potentially, be a steal.

But it's funny that you're using the "he didn't impress me at rookie camp" argument. I'll take how he performs on the ice, in game, over how he looks in comparison to top prospects with, at times, several years of development ahead of him in his first training camp. It certainly feels like you're trying to discredit Wikstrand's play right now for the sake of discrediting his play.
I'm just trying to add some balance against the one-sided hype train. Don't tell me there isn't substantial bias here. Even just after the draft he was ranked by HFBoards as superior to our 5th and 6th round picks. That's absurd.

I think it has something to do with the fact he's Swedish, but maybe I'm off.

source is offline  
Old
10-17-2012, 03:35 PM
  #315
source
Registered User
 
source's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 5,385
vCash: 500
So yeah, I'm not saying he isn't a "potential steal" or whatever. Sure, he could turn into Tobias Enstrom or something, it seems possible given his encouraging start.

However, we need to see more - a lot more.

source is offline  
Old
10-17-2012, 03:47 PM
  #316
Minister of Offence
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 23,095
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by source View Post
I think it's a very useful gauge for comparing one prospect against another. Recently, the following have done very well at the rookie camp: Borowiecki, Da Costa, Winchester, Hoffman, Lehner, Zibanejad, Rundblad, Silfverberg, Prince, Pageau.

How did Landeskog and OEL look at their respective rookie camps? They probably dominated the **** out of them.

I'm not saying that poor performance at a rookie camp seals a player's fate, but, comeon.
I think where we differ is that you seem believe that there's a science behind determining a prospects worth when evaluating them across different playing settings (aside from the NHL). Sometimes it doesn't make much sense.

I'm in the "I'd have to watch him play" camp anyways. But there's no doubting he's playing better so far than anyone could have hoped.

And some of those guys weren't that impressive in their first camps. And some of those guys were considerably older, or came from NA already, etc. And in terms of coming to a new continent to play at 18, an unheralded kid at that...you're unlikely to see the best of this player in those circumstances. Or at least it's a legitimate possible.

And I think there's a big gap between potential steal and Tobias Enstrom. Who's been suggesting the moon for this guy without saying it in jest?


Last edited by Minister of Offence: 10-17-2012 at 03:57 PM.
Minister of Offence is offline  
Old
10-17-2012, 03:49 PM
  #317
Aggen
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 123
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by source View Post
(a) SEL-2 is a pretty crap league, rather than;

(b) Wikstrand has improved substantially since June

Anyway I'm not surprised people are essentially concluding (b).
I've followed Wikstrand closely for around 4 years. The developement of this player is kind of a mystery. He started as a great great talent. But then, he got abit stale. He got alot of praise from his coach. But a few could see anything in this player. Even last year, his game was kind of mediocrity. But then, bam. This season. He's been a totally different player. He plays extremely confident in the d zone, and he shows extremely competence in understanding the game also. I would compare him to Mattias Ekholm but abit more clever.

Hope this helps you out on deciding the fate for this prospect.

Aggen is offline  
Old
10-17-2012, 03:51 PM
  #318
TheOriginalSilf*
@real_saundies
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Sudbury, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,327
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by source View Post
I'm just trying to add some balance against the one-sided hype train. Don't tell me there isn't substantial bias here. Even just after the draft he was ranked by HFBoards as superior to our 5th and 6th round picks. That's absurd.

I think it has something to do with the fact he's Swedish, but maybe I'm off.
I do think it has to do with that because the majority of our Swedish prospects have developed very well in Swedish leagues (SEL, SEL-2). Also, in regards to the HFBoards poll, there was no real guidelines set to voting. Some people claimed higher ceilings meant more than talent at that point, while some people simply chose the prospect that intrigued them the most. I was certainly one of those who voted for Wikstrand because we, at least the vast majority of us, haven't seen much from our recent late round picks. It's all about intrigue. How many of us have seen Boyle play?

Going off of that poll isn't viable evidence of being over-hyped.

Quote:
Originally Posted by source View Post
So yeah, I'm not saying he isn't a "potential steal" or whatever. Sure, he could turn into Tobias Enstrom or something, it seems possible given his encouraging start.

However, we need to see more - a lot more.
Again, no one was saying he's a superstar. He's not a blue-chip prospect. He's not a sure thing to make the NHL. People are saying exactly the bolded, but are optimistic because of how well he is playing now. It isn't common to see a 7th round pick doing what he's doing right now in the SEL-2 and people are taking notice. That's not over-hyping.

TheOriginalSilf* is offline  
Old
10-17-2012, 03:53 PM
  #319
CanadianHockey
Smith - Alfie
 
CanadianHockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 28,724
vCash: 2391
Quote:
Originally Posted by source View Post
I'm just trying to add some balance against the one-sided hype train. Don't tell me there isn't substantial bias here. Even just after the draft he was ranked by HFBoards as superior to our 5th and 6th round picks. That's absurd.

I think it has something to do with the fact he's Swedish, but maybe I'm off.
I don't think draft standing is necessarily indicative of talent or ability when comparing 5th through 7th round picks in the same draft year.

__________________
CanadianHockey________ __ __________Sens, Oilers, and Team Canada

Last edited by CanadianHockey: 10-17-2012 at 04:04 PM.
CanadianHockey is offline  
Old
10-17-2012, 04:04 PM
  #320
source
Registered User
 
source's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 5,385
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minister of Offence View Post
I think where we differ is that you seem believe that there's a science behind determining a prospects worth when evaluating them across different playing settings (aside from the NHL). Sometimes it doesn't make much sense.

I'm in the "I'd have to watch him play" camp anyways. But there's no doubting he's playing better so far than anyone could have hoped.

And some of those guys weren't that impressive in their first camps. And some of those guys were considerably older, or came from NA already, etc. And in terms of coming to a new continent to play at 18, an unheralded kid at that...you're unlikely to see the best of this player in those circumstances. Or at least it's a legitimate possibility.

And I think there's a big gap between potential steal and Tobias Enstrom. Who's been suggesting the moon for this guy without saying it in jest?
We've seen this countless times though. Prospects light up lower leagues and then struggle when they move up. The SEL is far from being a breeding ground for NHL talent, and we're looking at a guy playing in SEL-2. I've gotten my hopes up too many times, but really it's a simple numbers game. It's not really worth considering a player until he does something in a legit league.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggen View Post
I've followed Wikstrand closely for around 4 years. The developement of this player is kind of a mystery. He started as a great great talent. But then, he got abit stale. He got alot of praise from his coach. But a few could see anything in this player. Even last year, his game was kind of mediocrity. But then, bam. This season. He's been a totally different player. He plays extremely confident in the d zone, and he shows extremely competence in understanding the game also. I would compare him to Mattias Ekholm but abit more clever.

Hope this helps you out on deciding the fate for this prospect.
Definitely encouraging. And thanks for your input. I don't mean to discredit your opinion at all, but the NHL is the best league in the world so it takes a certain class of player to excel here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSilfverBullet View Post
I do think it has to do with that because the majority of our Swedish prospects have developed very well in Swedish leagues (SEL, SEL-2). Also, in regards to the HFBoards poll, there was no real guidelines set to voting. Some people claimed higher ceilings meant more than talent at that point, while some people simply chose the prospect that intrigued them the most. I was certainly one of those who voted for Wikstrand because we, at least the vast majority of us, haven't seen much from our recent late round picks. It's all about intrigue. How many of us have seen Boyle play?
Sweden's a wonderful hockey country, but I don't see how the bolded is meaningfully connected to the likelihood of Wikstrand making it. Like you said it's about intrigue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianHockey View Post
I don't think draft standing is necessarily indicative of talent or ability, at least not when comparing 5th through 7th round picks in the same draft year.
No one here knows more than our scouts, and he was the last player the Sens picked in the draft. That counts for more than simple "intrigue".

source is offline  
Old
10-17-2012, 04:07 PM
  #321
CanadianHockey
Smith - Alfie
 
CanadianHockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 28,724
vCash: 2391
Quote:
Originally Posted by source View Post
No one here knows more than our scouts, and he was the last player the Sens picked in the draft. That counts for more than simple "intrigue".
The difference between Wikstrand going in the 7th and him going in the 6th could've been as trivial as other teams not being highly interested in him, or a more senior scout was given priority to pick his 'prospect of intrigue' with our 6th rounder.

CanadianHockey is offline  
Old
10-17-2012, 04:10 PM
  #322
Aggen
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 123
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by source View Post
Definitely encouraging. And thanks for your input. I don't mean to discredit your opinion at all, but the NHL is the best league in the world so it takes a certain class of player to excel here.
Oh, I know. I watch ~ 4-50 games per season. (Majority Sens games )

Aggen is offline  
Old
10-17-2012, 04:13 PM
  #323
derriko
Registered User
 
derriko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Indianapolis
Country: United States
Posts: 2,964
vCash: 4116
So I dont know anything about Ekholm other than where and by who he was drafted. Is there another comparison someone could throw out?

From what ive read, it sounds like he likes to shoot, and is a bit of a powerplay specialist. Would a MA Bergeron esque player be somewhat close? (Im basing that off of an extremely small sample size and not much actual knowledge obviously)

Whats his best case scenario? Something like a bottom pairing #5, 6, or 7 offensive D that gets 30 points or so?

derriko is offline  
Old
10-17-2012, 04:23 PM
  #324
Aggen
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 123
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by derriko View Post
So I dont know anything about Ekholm other than where and by who he was drafted. Is there another comparison someone could throw out?

From what ive read, it sounds like he likes to shoot, and is a bit of a powerplay specialist. Would a MA Bergeron esque player be somewhat close? (Im basing that off of an extremely small sample size and not much actual knowledge obviously)

Whats his best case scenario? Something like a bottom pairing #5, 6, or 7 offensive D that gets 30 points or so?
I was wrong out comparing Wikstrand to Ekholm. I think it's due Ekholm is from "my town", and I've seen him alot.

I'd say that a fair comparison with Wikstrand would probably be Ekman-Larsson. I see alot of similarites in their playstyle.

Aggen is offline  
Old
10-17-2012, 04:38 PM
  #325
Minister of Offence
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 23,095
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggen View Post
I was wrong out comparing Wikstrand to Ekholm. I think it's due Ekholm is from "my town", and I've seen him alot.

I'd say that a fair comparison with Wikstrand would probably be Ekman-Larsson. I see alot of similarites in their playstyle.
Choo-choo says the hypetrain.

Minister of Offence is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:13 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.