HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Automobile Questions

Old
10-15-2012, 07:45 AM
Mrb1p

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by YourBuddy View Post
Euh ? Have you even driven a car before ?
I almost bought a 2004..If I remember correctly..

Really didn't like it.
It doesnt feel like a true inspired track-car. More like a rich old-timer boosted DD.

Mrb1p is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2012, 04:16 PM
Poulet Kostopoulos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franck View Post
There are a whole lot more things that could go wrong in a top-of-the-line BMW or Mercedes than in your no-frills Kia or Honda.

Their customers demand that their cars offer levels of performance, luxury and technology that push the technological boundaries of its day, it is quite natural that they will be less reliable and cost more to maintain than cheaper cars that stick to cheap and proven technology.
I don't know about that. Maybe the 100,000$ Bimmer or Benz but not those 3s and Cs, which are the great majority of Bimmer and Bens on the roads. I don't think there's that much leading edge tech in those cars compared to the respective Lexus and Acura. Also, *most* people drive their Bimmer and Benz like "Corollas", i.e. not hard. I think it's just a misconception that Bimmer drivers, in general, push their cars more than anyone else. What's funny is that it is this very misconception that sells Bimmers.

Edit: I believe the NSX and S2000 were leading edge in their times and were driven "hard", in general. Still, they were very reliable cars.

Last edited by Poulet Kostopoulos: 10-15-2012 at 04:24 PM.
Poulet Kostopoulos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2012, 04:31 PM
Mrb1p

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poulet Kostopoulos View Post
I don't know about that. Maybe the 100,000$ Bimmer or Benz but not those 3s and Cs, which are the great majority of Bimmer and Bens on the roads. I don't think there's that much leading edge tech in those cars compared to the respective Lexus and Acura. Also, *most* people drive their Bimmer and Benz like "Corollas", i.e. not hard. I think it's just a misconception that Bimmer drivers, in general, push their cars more than anyone else. What's funny is that it is this very misconception that sells Bimmers.

Edit: I believe the NSX and S2000 were leading edge in their times and were driven "hard", in general. Still, they were very reliable cars.
NSX yes.

S2000 not really.

Mrb1p is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2012, 06:03 PM
PunkinDrublic*

Quote:

What are you talking about ? Why would you even write what you wrote without having a clue ?

Google is your best friend !!

You don't think eh ?

PunkinDrublic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2012, 08:05 PM
Mister Potato

I don't know if I am unlucky or what but I had a ML320 Bluetec and engine light always came on for nothing of a big deal. It was always due to a sensitive sensor and had to bring it in to fix it. It was still under the four year guarantee so I paid nothing to make those small repairs.

Now, my wife's B200T engine lights come on and I have to bring it in to check it but it is not under guarantee anymore. I don't know if it is because I am unlucky or because Mercedes sucks but my daughter has a 06 honda civic and no problem at all. I had Hondas before also and no problem at all.

I wanna trade my ML before the guarantee expires. What do you guys think? Any brand in particular is more reliable ?

Mister Potato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2012, 09:42 PM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Potato View Post
I don't know if I am unlucky or what but I had a ML320 Bluetec and engine light always came on for nothing of a big deal. It was always due to a sensitive sensor and had to bring it in to fix it. It was still under the four year guarantee so I paid nothing to make those small repairs.

Now, my wife's B200T engine lights come on and I have to bring it in to check it but it is not under guarantee anymore. I don't know if it is because I am unlucky or because Mercedes sucks but my daughter has a 06 honda civic and no problem at all. I had Hondas before also and no problem at all.

I wanna trade my ML before the guarantee expires. What do you guys think? Any brand in particular is more reliable ?
Egad, a luxury car owner who values reliability. If you read this thread you would know that you don't really exist.

JD Power and Associates surveys will tell you what to do, I won't spoil it for you.

Agnostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2012, 05:25 AM
DAChampion

A car post from a car n00b.

First, here arer pictures of my new toyota corolla, which is my first car, previously I have only driven rentals (maybe 800 km total), plus maybe 50 hours of driving in "driving school" vehicles.

The steering wheel is on the right side because I am now living in Australia. Contrary to what I said before, it has 120,000km, not 60,000.

A lot of people in this thread are discussing luxury. You should buy luxury if you have the money and you've had other cars before, or if you're a 16 year-old high school student trying to get laid more often and your dad is paying for it. This is my first car, so I just went for reliability, hence, Toyota Corolla. There's a few other cars I could have gone for.

I'm the 2nd owner of the vehicle, it's a 2007, so it's a "good" used car. It came with a cruise control and tinted windows that the previous owner added. It should have some resale value when I leave here in four years -- I'm hoping for maybe a quarter to a third of its current value. But really I just want it to work. I figure for my second car, when I have more of a clue, I'll look harder and spend more. The mileage should be decent, as gas is very expensive here so that's important. In the test drive, I liked that it was quiet.

As an aside, you should all get your license as early as possible. I realize it's expensive to get a license: driving lessons are $50/hour, so if you come from a working class family like I did and your parents don't have a car for you to practice in, it will be expensive to learn to drive. However, once you do get a car, they charge you insurance based on how many years you've had a license (regardless of whether or not you actually used your license), so the longer you've had a license, the cheaper your insurance will be. I'll be paying ~$1,700/year, because I first got my license in June 2012, and because I learned to drive in a country where the steering wheel is on the left side. Note that insurance companies do account for other factors then years of having a license.

DAChampion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2012, 06:04 AM
GoHomez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Potato View Post

I had the same problem with a Subaru Outback a few years ago, replaced all the sensor which was roughly $1200, didn't help. Randomly entering or exiting a tunnel or driving through rain, the check engine light would go on, only to go off in a couple of days.

GoHomez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2012, 08:31 AM
Joe Cole

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post

First, here arer pictures of my new toyota corolla, which is my first car, previously I have only driven rentals (maybe 800 km total), plus maybe 50 hours of driving in "driving school" vehicles..
My first car was a Toyota Tercel SR5 hatchback, manual transmission. It was a great car. I drove that thing to hell and back. It served me very well.

At the start of your automotive journey there are tons of expenses as you outlined. There are also many mistakes you will make, and it is better on a car like mine or yours than if you would have over spent and got something twice as expensive.

Keep your oil fresh, and your tires with tread and you will be well served by your Toyota.

Luxury cars are just that, luxury. They may give us an extra thrill from time to time, or coddle us a little more, but the role remains the same. When/if you can afford it, make that next step up, smartly. We all live but once.

Joe Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2012, 08:35 AM
DAChampion

How often should I adjust the oil, and what does it mean to tread the tires?

Old
10-16-2012, 08:43 AM
Joe Cole

Quote:
How often should I adjust the oil, and what does it mean to tread the tires?

Oil is cheap. Your car manual probably says around 10,000 km's between changes. Do it as least as often as that, if not more frequent. Rule of thumb, go 75% of the duration of the recommendation. Your car and your wallet will thank you in the long run.

Thread refers to the depth of the grooves on the tires.

Without question, tires in good condition are the best safety feature on your car. I have purchased plenty of $20 used tires in my day.

Joe Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2012, 05:46 PM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
A car post from a car n00b.

First, here arer pictures of my new toyota corolla, which is my first car, previously I have only driven rentals (maybe 800 km total), plus maybe 50 hours of driving in "driving school" vehicles.

The steering wheel is on the right side because I am now living in Australia. Contrary to what I said before, it has 120,000km, not 60,000.

A lot of people in this thread are discussing luxury. You should buy luxury if you have the money and you've had other cars before, or if you're a 16 year-old high school student trying to get laid more often and your dad is paying for it. This is my first car, so I just went for reliability, hence, Toyota Corolla. There's a few other cars I could have gone for.

I'm the 2nd owner of the vehicle, it's a 2007, so it's a "good" used car. It came with a cruise control and tinted windows that the previous owner added. It should have some resale value when I leave here in four years -- I'm hoping for maybe a quarter to a third of its current value. But really I just want it to work. I figure for my second car, when I have more of a clue, I'll look harder and spend more. The mileage should be decent, as gas is very expensive here so that's important. In the test drive, I liked that it was quiet.

As an aside, you should all get your license as early as possible. I realize it's expensive to get a license: driving lessons are $50/hour, so if you come from a working class family like I did and your parents don't have a car for you to practice in, it will be expensive to learn to drive. However, once you do get a car, they charge you insurance based on how many years you've had a license (regardless of whether or not you actually used your license), so the longer you've had a license, the cheaper your insurance will be. I'll be paying ~$1,700/year, because I first got my license in June 2012, and because I learned to drive in a country where the steering wheel is on the left side. Note that insurance companies do account for other factors then years of having a license.
Congratulations . Forget the discussion about luxury cars you've just purchased one of the most reliable cars on the planet . If the car was reasonably cared for you will get years of enjoyable driving . Your car is the Doug Jarvis of Automobiles .Tough, compact , does the important things well and can't be taken out of the game. Jarvis had 12 years between repairs may your corolla serve you much the same way. Again congrats.

Old
10-16-2012, 08:26 PM
PunkinDrublic*

Nothing wrong with buyibg a luxury car at my age. I owned many Toyotas and Nissans in my days. Now i just really like BMW.

Old
10-16-2012, 10:53 PM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
Nothing wrong with buyibg a luxury car at my age. I owned many Toyotas and Nissans in my days. Now i just really like BMW.
How does your ex-wife like the Lexus?

Old
10-17-2012, 03:01 AM
DAChampion

The stick on my automatic has a D, an R, and a P, but also an N, a 2, a 1, and I think a 3.

What is the point of neutral, and what are 1,2, and 3 for?

Old
10-17-2012, 06:00 AM
Franck
Insolent Upstart

Quote:
The stick on my automatic has a D, an R, and a P, but also an N, a 2, a 1, and I think a 3.

In case you ever end up in a situation where the car has to be moved without using the engine, like in an automatic car wash or if it breaks down and you need to push it.

The 1, 2 and 3 might be "manual" gears, some automatic transmissions have a mode where they can be operated "manually".

Franck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2012, 06:45 AM
Sam Slick*

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolasprICE View Post
So I am looking to purchase a 2nd car for myself, to be used in winter most of the time. I'm looking at used subaru's , since they're AWD .. I have a series of questions in my typical unorganized way. Whatever feedback / answers you can provide helps me greatly.

My budget is ~ 5 or 6k but could go up to 8 -10 k if I get really sold on a car. and I don't care about "flashy" style , this is the car I want to drive in the winter, beat up , scratch up and have fun with no worries . I like a boxy looking cars that looks worked in AWD almost a must.

That said, I'm looking at some older AWD Subaru Foresters (I know, not sexy, but AWD and reliable). 1998 - 2003 range. Any opinions on this make? is it Reliable???

I'm also looking at older boxy looking Volvos .. though I'm concerned about cost of repairs ... ?????

I notice on Kijiji some of the dealers have " certified mileage ".

How can an owner / dealer certify mileage? Is it basically looking at the servicing papers and verifying with the dealer? Should I be worried about " fake paperwork"? (ie: guy pays someone at the dealer to produce paperwork for servicing with low mileage -- and then owner gets KM rolled back for him).

My biggest worry -- is buying a car that was rolled back or accidented.

It's been a very long time since I bought a used car but I recall you can check the serial number on the dash to see if it's been into any accidents. I did this once a long time ago -- I don't remember if I ran a serial check with the honda dealer or the SAAQ ... and supposedly now you can do it online??? please

Any help is appreciated!

ps: H10H or other Mod, can you plz make an Auto sticky??? I'm afraid nobody will see my post in here!
You worry too much my friend. Not everyone is out to rip you off. It is awful hard to roll back mileage now, plus, it is jail time if they get caught not too mention losing their license.

To verify paperwork is easy. With each service, the mileage had to be written down, as is with safety inspections. Paper will have that older feel and look to it and all the dates and mileage have to line up. You can also get verified or certified papers. Plus, if you do a little homework, you can find the previous owner and give them a call. Another way people make mistakes trying to forge paperwork is they mistakenly use the same pen and the same person to write stuff up.

Guess what I do for a living? You guessed it, Insurance and claim Fraud Adjuster.

If you want a great car with good mileage, forget the AWD's. Best bang for the buck right now is Hyundai, Honda and Toyota. You cant go wrong with any of those, plus they are decent in the snow, assuming you have good winters on them. Did you know that we dont have to pay insurance out if you were in an accident in the snow, during winter months, if you were riding on summer tires?

Sam Slick* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2012, 07:07 AM
DAChampion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Slick View Post
Did you know that we dont have to pay insurance out if you were in an accident in the snow, during winter months, if you were riding on summer tires?
No, thanks for your posts.

Old
10-17-2012, 07:14 AM
Sam Slick*

Quote:
No, thanks for your posts.
Anytime.

Sam Slick* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2012, 08:27 AM
GoHomez

Quote:

In "1" you lock the gearbox to the first gear, in "2" to 1-2 and in "3" to 1-2-3, Drive uses all gears. Using a lower gear is a good way to not overheat your brakes when driving downhill.

GoHomez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2012, 12:08 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:

When going downhill in the snow, locking the transmission in 1/2/3 will control the speed of your car with the engine. I've also used them to engine brake on long exit ramps to "down shift"/slow down instead of riding my brakes all the way to stop signs.

Ohashi_Jouzu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2012, 06:00 PM
Poulet Kostopoulos

Quote:
What are you talking about ? Why would you even write what you wrote without having a clue ?

Google is your best friend !!

You don't think eh ?
What? Your fanboy feathers have been ruffled or something?

Besides, I'm not even saying it's not leading edge, but rather that it isn't that much more so, compared to a comparable vehicle of another brand (if you need this to be spelled out for you: comparable means not comparing a $70K 3 Bimmer to a low-end Acura or Lexus).

Poulet Kostopoulos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2012, 07:36 PM
PunkinDrublic*

Quote:
What? Your fanboy feathers have been ruffled or something?

Besides, I'm not even saying it's not leading edge, but rather that it isn't that much more so, compared to a comparable vehicle of another brand (if you need this to be spelled out for you: comparable means not comparing a $70K 3 Bimmer to a low-end Acura or Lexus).
I have nothing else to add.

Comparing say a 335i to a low end Acura or Lexus.

Old
10-17-2012, 07:48 PM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
I have nothing else to add.

Comparing say a 335i to a low end Acura or Lexus.
To be fair BMW is grossly overrated. Good cars but they don't blow their whole class away as some claim.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2012, 10:12 PM
Sthabs

Looking for 2nd opinions ...
What do u guys think of 370 a month, tax in everything in , with new winter tires , for a 2013 Sorrento 4 years lease, base model ( still comes with mags, heated seats,steering wheel control, fog lights, back up sonar 5 yrs warranty etc ) with the 4 cyl direct injected, v6 is not an option

Sthabs is offline   Reply With Quote