HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Sebastian Collberg - (Part II: The Collberg Report) Joins Hamilton

Closed Thread

Old
10-15-2012, 11:47 PM
TheGoalJudge

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by strutsboa View Post
Maybe it's just me being delusional, but I'm starting to like the fact that he gets ice-time in a defensive role in a very good league. Everyone already knows about his offensive skills and he has always been dominating against players in his own age. Sooner or later he will have to adapt to professional hockey, so maybe it's okey if he does it now and I think the transition to AHL/NHL will be easier in a few years for him after this experience.

He currently plays with PJ Axelsson (851 NHL-games), who could be a very good mentor for his defensive game. This far Collberg has only been on the ice for 1 goal against in almost 100 minutes, so I think Collberg is doing well so far.

Just like many use to say that "defence wins championship", I think it might be the same for Collberg. Start with a good defensive play and then get more and more offensive responsibility.
Watching this team the past few years has really really turned me off of the "defensive forward".

Please no more.

Old
10-16-2012, 12:03 AM
uiCk
GrEmelins

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoalJudge View Post
Watching this team the past few years has really really turned me off of the "defensive forward".

Please no more.
i think what strutsboa is saying, is that Colberg is learning the valuable defensive part of the game, which any successful forward needs to learn if they want to be an impact in the NHL; not that he is being turned into an defensive forward, or that he is somehow losing his offensive skills/talent. He is getting PP time, but seems to be a more limited defensive role when 5on5. Which is fine, he has tons of time to further develop all his skills.

IMO
The reason you mention we somehow have had influx of defensive forwards with the habs, is really just a lack of "talented" forwards. Because except for Pleks, most our forwards have not been the definition of defensive forwards in cammy, kovelev, AK, DD, Patches, Ryder, etc.

Old
10-16-2012, 08:41 AM
domdo345

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
Frolunda basically doesn't care about his future beyond this year since they know he'll leave for NA within a year or two, so I am not sure who you are preaching this too. I am sure the Habs would agree with you, but what can they do for this season?

He's around some quality NHL talent right now with Duchene and Stalberg (as well as stars like Lundqvist and Eriksson in practice), hopefully he's like a sponge and is taking plenty of mental notes.
I know, it wasn't a stab at the habs organisation since there's nothing to do. And at the same time, I understand Frolunda has no interest of developing him other than to win more games. All I was saying is that I highly doubt it's a good thing for him to concentrate on defense at this point in his career....

Last edited by domdo345: 10-16-2012 at 08:52 AM.
Old
10-16-2012, 09:09 AM
Grant McCagg

I think it's a very good thing for him to learn the defensive side of the game, and there aren't much better spots for an 18-year-old to learn than in the SEL. We already know Collberg has offensive hockey sense.

Coaches at all levels, and in particular the NHL, want all of their players to be good defensively. It's the first thing coaches look for - a player's defensive hockey sense.
We need to be patient with him this season. It is frustrating to see him playing an irregular shift, but he is playing, and learning his defensive responsibilities in a very good league.

He also needs to put on some muscle, and Frolunda has off ice facilities that equal or surpass many NHL gyms. He will be surrounded by veterans who know what it takes to play at the highest level, which includes discipline off the ice and a strong work ethic and attention to defensive details.

We must also remember that he will be away for several weeks practising with the U-20 team and playing in the WJC, where it's expected he'll play a key role and have plenty of ice time.

Old
10-16-2012, 09:25 AM
domdo345

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant McCagg View Post
I think it's a very good thing for him to learn the defensive side of the game, and there aren't much better spots for an 18-year-old to learn than in the SEL. We already know Collberg has offensive hockey sense.

Coaches at all levels, and in particular the NHL, want all of their players to be good defensively. It's the first thing coaches look for - a player's defensive hockey sense.
We need to be patient with him this season. It is frustrating to see him playing an irregular shift, but he is playing, and learning his defensive responsibilities in a very good league.

He also needs to put on some muscle, and Frolunda has off ice facilities that equal or surpass many NHL gyms. He will be surrounded by veterans who know what it takes to play at the highest level, which includes discipline off the ice and a strong work ethic and attention to defensive details.

We must also remember that he will be away for several weeks practising with the U-20 team and playing in the WJC, where it's expected he'll play a key role and have plenty of ice time.
That's a good point but aren't you scared a little that he gets scared of trying something offensively? because he's playing less than 10 mins a night and an error could mean no more ice time... I'm a bit scared his offensive flair gets suffocated. There's plenty of players that had a good offensive flair only to dump and chase the puck in big leagues because they lost that creativity/ scared of their ice time. To me collberg is kind of a top 6 (top 9 if we roll 3 offensive lines) or miss guy. But I guess the u-20 will greatly help his confidence because the play will seem much slower coming from a higher level of competion.

Old
10-16-2012, 07:26 PM
Rise from the Ashes
@JoelGabbayNHL

Send a message via MSN to Rise from the Ashes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant McCagg View Post

Basically what I have been arguing. To be sure, offensive players should play offense, but learning defense is just as important. He is way too weak as well. Once he puts on 15-20 pounds of muscle he will start dominating.

Old
10-16-2012, 07:46 PM
poetryinmotion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rise from the Ashes View Post
Basically what I have been arguing. To be sure, offensive players should play offense, but learning defense is just as important. He is way too weak as well. Once he puts on 15-20 pounds of muscle he will start dominating.
Didn't he just do that though?

Old
10-16-2012, 10:36 PM
Rise from the Ashes
@JoelGabbayNHL

Send a message via MSN to Rise from the Ashes
He may have added SOME muscle, but he still needs to get stronger. He knows and sees what he has to do, but he cant separate himself physically from the opposition in order to fully take advantage. My opinion, but many scouts agree with me.

Old
10-17-2012, 01:34 AM
dackelljuneaubulis02

at 5'11 the quicker he can cross that 190 lb threshold the better.

I actually think he should stay in the SEL another year after this one. The AHL might be too big a jump and the CHL might be a regression by that point.

I think he's going to take a bit longer than most would like. As long as he's not rushed he should be fine.

Old
10-17-2012, 03:01 AM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
Ohhhh you mad

Quote:
Originally Posted by makbowles View Post

I actually think he should stay in the SEL another year after this one. The AHL might be too big a jump and the CHL might be a regression by that point.

I think he's going to take a bit longer than most would like. As long as he's not rushed he should be fine.
Woah! Stop typing so much sense in 1 post. It's too much for these boards.

Old
10-17-2012, 08:21 AM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Quote:

How is the AHL too big of a jump ? The SEL is a better league...

Old
10-17-2012, 09:33 AM
Et le But

Quote:

Collberg was always going to be a 2-3 year project before he makes the NHL, glad to see people take this with sense.

Old
10-17-2012, 09:37 AM
Marc the Habs Fan
Olympic Champion

vCash: 597
I only want him to stay in the SEL next season if he's going to play top 6 minutes.

As I pointed out previously after watching him on a stream, he absolutely must add some muscle. Especially in his upper body. It's most important since he's a player who does battle along the boards, but at his size he loses a good chunk of those battles when playing against grown men.

Old
10-17-2012, 09:51 AM
habitue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
Collberg was always going to be a 2-3 year project before he makes the NHL, glad to see people take this with sense.
What about playing in Junior hockey in Canada against kids his age and his size and dominating ?

Old
10-17-2012, 10:00 AM
uiCk
GrEmelins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habstineu View Post
What about playing in Junior hockey in Canada against kids his age and his size and dominating ?
i guess we will see next year when he's not under contract with frolunda and will have the chance to make a decision, and he might even request the guidance of Habs staff into what would be best options for him.

IMO i have same opinion as Marc the habs fan, Colberg should stay in the SEL if he manages to receive top 6 minutes, if not, probably best to take another route. But as of right now, he's cracking the team, and if successful he will receive more and more TOI, and should take opportunity next season to reap the rewards of working hard and with limited ice time this season.

Old
10-17-2012, 10:01 AM
Marc the Habs Fan
Olympic Champion

vCash: 597
Quote:
A team has to pick him in the import draft first and foremost (did not happen)...and he had a contract with Frolunda for this year. It's one of the possibilities for next season.

Old
10-17-2012, 10:03 AM
habitue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by uiCk View Post
i guess we will see next year when he's not under contract with frolunda and will have the chance to make a decision, and he might even request the guidance of Habs staff into what would be best options for him.

IMO i have same opinion as Marc the habs fan, Colberg should stay in the SEL if he manages to receive top 6 minutes, if not, probably best to take another route. But as of right now, he's cracking the team, and if successful he will receive more and more TOI, and should take opportunity next season to reap the rewards of working hard and with limited ice time this season.
... So Galchenyuk (or Vail, or Bozon or Hudon...) should play pro hockey in Sweden instead of losing their time in Junior hockey ?

Old
10-17-2012, 10:05 AM
uiCk
GrEmelins

Quote:
... So Galchenyuk (or Vail, or Bozon or Hudon...) should play pro hockey in Sweden instead of losing their time in Junior hockey ?
so you feel like arguing for the sake of arguing?
welcome to the forums,
kchowbye

Old
10-17-2012, 10:06 AM
habitue*

Quote:
so you feel like arguing for the sake of arguing?
welcome to the forums,
kchowbye
That's what a forum is made for, right ?

Old
10-17-2012, 10:12 AM
uiCk
GrEmelins

Quote:
That's what a forum is made for, right ?
No, its made for disscussions. Arguing just to argue, is pretty much definition of trolling.

As for your "why not comment", i'm going to assume u where being serious, but those players have to be drafted by a SEL team; you can't just "join", your argument is not feasable, and if your main argument is that CHL offers better development for Prospects, well, that's just like your opinion, man.

Old
10-17-2012, 10:15 AM
habitue*

Quote:
No, its made for disscussions. Arguing just to argue, is pretty much definition of trolling.

As for your "why not comment", i'm going to assume u where being serious, but those players have to be drafted by a SEL team; you can't just "join".
Hey man, I know that they have to be drafted... But here, we are talking about a player development. What is best for him and eventually for the Habs.

Can our point of views be different on that matter ? Am I insulting anybody ? Am I rude ?

Don't answer to me iof you don't want me to reply to you ?

Old
10-17-2012, 10:16 AM
montreal
Time to Get Down

Quote:
I would think that management will look at every option this summer. SEL, CHL, AHL, at this point it's way to early to speculate as to what would be better for him, but we'll see how things go for him. (a lot could change if the lockout ends, since NHL players would be heading back here)

Old
10-17-2012, 10:29 AM
uiCk
GrEmelins

Quote:
Hey man, I know that they have to be drafted... But here, we are talking about a player development. What is best for him and eventually for the Habs.

Can our point of views be different on that matter ? Am I insulting anybody ? Am I rude ?

Don't answer to me iof you don't want me to reply to you ?
Like i said, if he's working hard with frolunda and receives improved TOI (which is the case now, but might be skewed because of injuries) and has chance of getting top6 minutes with frolunda, a pro club, IMO he should stay for another year. His competition is much higher rated then if he was in an CHL team. Disadvantage of developing in SEL team is lack of actual game time, since it's less games, and he can go back to a reduced role on team easily, since it's pro team that needs to win/produce.
The pro's are that he is getting top quality training (facility, staff, methodology) and learning the defensive side of the game, and most likley developing a "puck possession game", which are 2 elements that are very important in the NHL nowadays, for a forward.
Mingle that with a year or so of AHL, where he will get a chance to play top minutes, and let loose offensively, and play many games, i think his development will be pretty complete. Assuming he will gradually progress and avoid major injuries.
Bottom line is, that, IMO, if he CAN capitalize on the SEL, it will be much more impact full to his development then if he was in the CHL.

Old
10-18-2012, 10:20 AM
Systemfel
Global Moderator
Hockey Talk by Country

vCash: 50
13th forward today... 1 PM ET.

http://stats.swehockey.se/Game/Events/115578

Old
10-18-2012, 10:33 AM
EveryDay
Habs Prospect