HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

STICKS - Buying Guide and Advice

Old
10-08-2012, 01:45 PM
HiEverybody

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AIREAYE View Post
Don't do it. It will break. Woven and resined composite/carbon fibers are not malleable like metal.
Thanks, that's what I wanted to know! I'll avoid trying and just try to get used to it.

HiEverybody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2012, 03:07 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Yep you pretty much are just stuck with the stick. I recommend getting a new one and hold on to your old one in case you want to try it out again.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2012, 03:07 PM
Richard

Need help with stick length---- I'm 6'0 and I used s stick for years that came roughly to my pecks. The last year I've played I upgraded it to chin length. I just cant find my comfortable balance.

I just bought a new stick..... what should I do?

Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2012, 07:16 PM
SERE 24
LGR

Finally broke my last One95 and am thinking of trying an RS before I she'll out for a totalOne because the RS from last year is on clearance. Any thoughts on the stick? I know they supposedly have durability issues but I don't take a lot of clappers and love anything that's gonna give me more pop on my snapper. Also considering a Mako if anyone has an opinion on them. And I heard the RS feels pretty soft (softer than its marked flex); stay away from a 75? I'm 190 but take 96% wristers and snappers these days and I like the whip, but not if the stick is going to feel like an intermediate.

SERE 24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2012, 09:10 AM
HiEverybody

Holy crap, I just got an Easton EQ40 Intermediate (65 flex) with a Heatley curve, and the difference is night and day! Before I was using a 75 flex senior, but had to chop it down (about 7 inches), and I think it was WAY to stiff for me. Plus the Ryan curve was driving me nuts!

Thanks to the advice in this thread, I think I found a product I will stick (heh heh) with for a long time!

Old
10-17-2012, 10:34 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

How's the balance of that EQ40?

I honestly think most adults under 5'9 (maybe even under 5'10) should be in intermediates.

I've also found most intermediates are stiffer than rated. A company rep checked my 75 flex intermediate Vapor X:60 (cut down 4") and said it was stiffer than his 100 flex stick at full length. The Warrior Widow I just bought at 70 flex feels too stiff for me as well.

Old
10-17-2012, 11:07 AM
HiEverybody

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
How's the balance of that EQ40?

I honestly think most adults under 5'9 (maybe even under 5'10) should be in intermediates.

I've also found most intermediates are stiffer than rated. A company rep checked my 75 flex intermediate Vapor X:60 (cut down 4") and said it was stiffer than his 100 flex stick at full length. The Warrior Widow I just bought at 70 flex feels too stiff for me as well.
I think it feels really good. There's an extra weight placed at the heel of the blade, but I don't notice it much. The EQ50 is supposed to have an adjustable counter-weight in the end cap which allows you to customize your balance, but it was an extra 50 bucks from some metal plugs.

Old
10-17-2012, 12:18 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I almost always use a bit of a wood plug for weight. I just put my weighted plug in my Widow...chopped it down 1" and the plug is 1" long plus I hollowed it out and put some lead sinkers in it for balance.

Old
10-17-2012, 12:38 PM
AIREAYE

Quote:
I almost always use a bit of a wood plug for weight. I just put my weighted plug in my Widow...chopped it down 1" and the plug is 1" long plus I hollowed it out and put some lead sinkers in it for balance.
Haha really? The Widow is ridiculously blade-light.

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2012, 01:10 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Whoops not Widow, Diablo. And yeah it is really blade light. But I wanted to see how it felt with more mass up top. I like the feel of some weight in my top hands.

I did the same thing with my X:60 and Dynasty...chopped it down and put a plug in. Everything plays/feels better with that to me.

Old
10-17-2012, 03:41 PM
BigDuke6

My son has been working towards earning a new stick, and he's getting pretty close to earning it, so I thought I would seek out some advice/input.

My son is 10 years old, first year of travel, and uses a junior stick. He's a big kid, 5 feet and say 115 lbs. He does have a good wrist shot, but it is inconsistent, when he gets a good wrister off it is a really sold shot. He does have a slap shot, but that is even less consistent than the wrister (think 5% of the time or less he gets a good one off).

He's a decent stick handler, but nothing magical, he's the biggest kid on the team, usually the biggest kid on any team, more of a power/strenght player than speed/agility. He has been using a Vaper X4.0 with a Kane curve, 50 flex. He gets the USA Hockey Magazine and sees all the adds, so he's dazzled by getting an RSII or the CCM RBZ (not sure we'll be spending that much $$$).

Given his height he's close to needing an intermediate stick, but I don't want him to have to make that adjustment during the season. I was just curious if anyone has any thoughts, insights, or recommendations.

BigDuke6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2012, 06:34 PM
ArrogantOwl

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDuke6 View Post
My son has been working towards earning a new stick, and he's getting pretty close to earning it, so I thought I would seek out some advice/input.

My son is 10 years old, first year of travel, and uses a junior stick. He's a big kid, 5 feet and say 115 lbs. He does have a good wrist shot, but it is inconsistent, when he gets a good wrister off it is a really sold shot. He does have a slap shot, but that is even less consistent than the wrister (think 5% of the time or less he gets a good one off).

He's a decent stick handler, but nothing magical, he's the biggest kid on the team, usually the biggest kid on any team, more of a power/strenght player than speed/agility. He has been using a Vaper X4.0 with a Kane curve, 50 flex. He gets the USA Hockey Magazine and sees all the adds, so he's dazzled by getting an RSII or the CCM RBZ (not sure we'll be spending that much $$$).

Given his height he's close to needing an intermediate stick, but I don't want him to have to make that adjustment during the season. I was just curious if anyone has any thoughts, insights, or recommendations.
At that point I'd look towards a stiff junior or a whippy intermediate. I know Warrior makes a 50 flex Int but it may be too tall. Don't think I've ever seen a junior higher than a 50 though.

ArrogantOwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2012, 10:56 PM
AIREAYE

Before actively considering an intermediate, I'd double check to see if his hands are large enough to wrap around the shaft. Make sure when he holds it, that the fingertips are at least barely touching the palm under his thumb.

Like ArrogantOwl said, there are plenty of options for whippier intermediates, but not many for stiffer JRs. If you are willing to spend the money on a top end stick, give the Warrior DT1 or Widow a try at 55 flex INT. Each of Bauer's top end sticks also come in a 60 flex option, as does the Reebok 20K.

If you would prefer to stay in the mid-range (which is still excellent), then try to find something like a Warrior Bandito or DT4 in a 55 flex, or a Bauer Nexus 600 in 60 or if you want to stick with it, a 4.0 in a 60 flex.

Old
10-18-2012, 10:10 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I'm 29 years old, 5'8 and 200 pounds and wish I would have bought the 55 flex Warrior intermediate over the 70 flex. Just saying.

I mean at 5' tall he's going to have to cut off 6-8" MORE stick than I do, and I chop off 4-5" from an intermediate. That 55 flex becomes about 90 flex in a hurry.

Just a thought but Base hockey offers junior flexes from 50-80 and intermediate from 45-85. Get one of those in a whacked out color scheme maybe?

Miken also makes sticks that have graduated flex and length so another one worth a look.

Old
10-18-2012, 12:15 PM
BigDuke6

I appreciate all the responses. I'm not going get him an intermediate stick until I absolutely have to. First and foremost there's the size difference he'll have to deal with, but also a cost difference. This kids is already in an adult helmet, his next pair of skates he'll be in an adult size, just crazy. There's a $50 swing going from a top end junior stick to an intermediate.

I use a Warrior stick and have been trying to steer him that way, or perhaps sticking with Bauer. These kids all want the RSII or RBZ, but I just don't know much about them and have never used an Easton or CCM stick.

However, he had to give me a month of 100% effort in practice and games to earn a new stick. His first week was steller, but last nights practice was mediocre. He can redeem himself tonight.

Old
10-18-2012, 12:32 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

If you don't mind, let me know how that works out (incentive for a new stick). Makes lots of sense from the standpoint of "I'm not buying you a $200 stick if you don't earn it" but is he playing for a stick or for love of the game?

Not critical at all, just curious how he sees it!

Old
10-18-2012, 02:25 PM
BigDuke6

Quote:
If you don't mind, let me know how that works out (incentive for a new stick). Makes lots of sense from the standpoint of "I'm not buying you a $200 stick if you don't earn it" but is he playing for a stick or for love of the game?

Not critical at all, just curious how he sees it!

He loves to play, loves to skate, every chance he can that's what he wants to do. However, when he decided he wanted to play travel the rules changed a bit. It is a huge time and money investment (driving 3 hours this Saturday for a game). Through preseason he had some excellent games, and he had some games where we drove for +2 hours for him to float around all game not doing much. My message to him was that we can do that on the in-house team at the rink 10 minutes from the house.

When he started saying he wanted a new stick, and what sticks he was interested in, I told him his effort hadn't been at a level where he needs a $200 stick. He's easily one of the fastest kids on his team, but you'd never know it. Skates his hardest when he wants to, etc.

So, I told him he has to earn it by giving me 100% effort for a month. When he asked why a month I explained that if he does it for a month it will be a habit by then. I told him if he goes all out every practice and game for a month I'll buy him whatever stick he wants (within reason).

The biggest thing I had to get him to understand was that I wasn't talking about being the best player (scoring goals, etc.), just doing the best he can, giving it his all. He's just one of those kids that when he turns it on the coaches and other parents are surprised becasue he doesn't do it all the time.

He's 10, what are you going to do.

Old
10-19-2012, 03:04 AM
hockeyisforeveryone

vCash: 420
Quote:
I'm 29 years old, 5'8 and 200 pounds and wish I would have bought the 55 flex Warrior intermediate over the 70 flex. Just saying.

I mean at 5' tall he's going to have to cut off 6-8" MORE stick than I do, and I chop off 4-5" from an intermediate. That 55 flex becomes about 90 flex in a hurry.

Just a thought but Base hockey offers junior flexes from 50-80 and intermediate from 45-85. Get one of those in a whacked out color scheme maybe?

Miken also makes sticks that have graduated flex and length so another one worth a look.
Yup there is no way a 10 yr old can flex an intermediate, even if he is 5ft. 110 lbs. Also I think it's a waste to get the very top grade, newest model composite. I saw on hockeymonkey an Easton RS for 100$, as compared to 200$ for the newer version!

hockeyisforeveryone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2012, 09:05 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDuke6 View Post
He loves to play, loves to skate, every chance he can that's what he wants to do. However, when he decided he wanted to play travel the rules changed a bit. It is a huge time and money investment (driving 3 hours this Saturday for a game). Through preseason he had some excellent games, and he had some games where we drove for +2 hours for him to float around all game not doing much. My message to him was that we can do that on the in-house team at the rink 10 minutes from the house.

When he started saying he wanted a new stick, and what sticks he was interested in, I told him his effort hadn't been at a level where he needs a $200 stick. He's easily one of the fastest kids on his team, but you'd never know it. Skates his hardest when he wants to, etc.

So, I told him he has to earn it by giving me 100% effort for a month. When he asked why a month I explained that if he does it for a month it will be a habit by then. I told him if he goes all out every practice and game for a month I'll buy him whatever stick he wants (within reason).

The biggest thing I had to get him to understand was that I wasn't talking about being the best player (scoring goals, etc.), just doing the best he can, giving it his all. He's just one of those kids that when he turns it on the coaches and other parents are surprised becasue he doesn't do it all the time.

He's 10, what are you going to do.
I like that. I've always stressed effort and attitude because those are in your control. I also like you're not being such a hard ass that even if he slacks once it blows it for him.

Old
10-19-2012, 09:12 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyisforeveryone View Post
Yup there is no way a 10 yr old can flex an intermediate, even if he is 5ft. 110 lbs. Also I think it's a waste to get the very top grade, newest model composite. I saw on hockeymonkey an Easton RS for 100$, as compared to 200$ for the newer version!
Howie Meeker used to say until you could do 35 pushups on their fingers, you won't have a wrist shot worth taking. He taught his kids to do mini slapshots instead.

Here's the video. Old school.

At 5' 110 pounds, he might be getting that strong, but still probably not intermediate strong.

Old
10-19-2012, 09:19 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

And if everyone watches that video, see how easily he can flex that wood stick? Find me an 85 flex stick off the rack that will bend from the midpoint to the bottom when you put it against your knee like that.

Old
10-31-2012, 01:00 AM
Man Bear Pig

Anyone tried out the rbz? I'm gonna check one out although the price scares me a bit.

Man Bear Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2012, 09:42 AM
Redstreak

I've been using a Bauer Vapor with the P91A Staal curve since I started playing. I was looking to switch to Warrior since their equivalent of that curve is a bit easier to come by, and was debating between the Lidstrom and the Kovalev. I like the idea of the square toe, but how different is the rest of the curve from the Kovalev? I'd try to check it out at a LHS, but nobody around me carries heel curves (mostly just Kanes, Iginlas, etc).

I've done some hunting around on google and it sounds like the Lidstrom has a bit more curve to it, but I just wanted to get people's opinions on them here about how different the two really are. Thanks for any help.

Redstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2012, 10:51 AM
AIREAYE

They're similar in that both are heel curves. Like you mentioned the Lidstrom is noticeably deeper (more curve) while the Kovalev is shallower.

The Kovalev is the direct equivalent/clone of the P91A.

Old
11-03-2012, 11:10 AM
Malreg

Any opinions on the Sherwood T90? Or it's replacement, the Nexon 12?

The T90 is going for $130 in my area, and the Nexon 12 is $170.

Looking for something to replace the RS I just broke, but trying to avoid spending over $200.

Malreg is offline   Reply With Quote