HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Notices

2012-13 Colorado Avalanche Prospects Thread

Closed Thread

Old
10-17-2012, 12:27 PM
keppel146
We love Bacon

vCash: 500
In all seriousness here, are fans upset that the CO GM drafted Duncan Siemens? There are many players that were drafted later that will probably turn out to be better than him.

Old
10-17-2012, 12:45 PM
R S
Renegade Stylings

vCash: 4250
Quote:
Originally Posted by keppel146 View Post
In all seriousness here, are fans upset that the CO GM drafted Duncan Siemens? There are many players that were drafted later that will probably turn out to be better than him.
You can say that about 98% of the picks from every draft, ever. So....

Old
10-17-2012, 12:56 PM
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan

vCash: 50
Quote:
For what reason?

Old
10-17-2012, 01:01 PM
henchman24
#ImagineAvs

Quote:
Like RS said that can be said about every draft, but the Siemens pick is completely understandable. A big mobile defensemen with a nasty streak like his can be hard to find. He won't develop into a #1, but I can easily still see him being a top 4 shutdown defender. I might be in the minority, but I think it would do him some good to get traded away from Saskatoon and get a fresh start.

I wanted the Avs to pick Bartschi during that draft and still wished they would have. That is the only player I really have an issue passing up.

Old
10-17-2012, 01:20 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

Quote:
I personally wanted to draft Bartschi, but there is nothing "wrong" or "bad" about Siemens. He brings something we lack since the golden days of Foote and to be honest it seem you are voicing your opinion on stats, overblown stories, and hype rather than watching the actually player. I've seen Siemens a lot of times already this year and he has been developing nicely, true there are games that he has struggled in, but that is the case for ALL shutdown defensemen.

Old
10-17-2012, 01:23 PM
The Saw Is the Law

Is Joey Hishon still out because concussion?

Very sad story... First game of 2011 Memorial Cup is his time played hockey?

Old
10-17-2012, 01:33 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Saw Is the Law View Post
Is Joey Hishon still out because concussion?

Very sad story... First game of 2011 Memorial Cup is his time played hockey?
Most recent story is Hishon is back home suffering from the same symptoms that Crosby was suffering with his neck and along that area. But not all is bad, because during the summer he was training both on-ice and off-ice with the symptoms returning near the start of training camp. He's been monitoring closely with the Avs organization with updates that get transferred to Lake Erie. Not all is lost, but a lot of Avs posters think he is done with hockey.

Old
10-17-2012, 01:35 PM
keppel146
We love Bacon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan13 View Post
For what reason?
I just feel there were many other players that they should have picked at the number 11 spot that had better potential. But I guess only time will tell, and if you are looking for a specific type of player, and he is "your guy" then go draft him I guess.

Old
10-17-2012, 02:21 PM
Lonewolfe2015

vCash: 239
Quote:
I just feel there were many other players that they should have picked at the number 11 spot that had better potential. But I guess only time will tell, and if you are looking for a specific type of player, and he is "your guy" then go draft him I guess.
If we made a mistake, Philadelphia was going to make an even bigger mistake had Couturier not of fallen. They told Duncan he was 'their guy' before the draft.

Frankly, no we are not upset. Siemens has top pairing potential and could be the missing piece we need down the road to pair with EJ if we can't acquire another defender. At worse he should be a 2nd pairing defender with Elliott.

If you had the chance to draft a big, slick skating defender with a booming shot, mean streak along the lines of Pronger (on some nights) and that had known chemistry with your #1 prospect at the time, would you pass up that opportunity to add more depth to a strong position in the organization when you really weren't sure the players were even that much of an upgrade (Murphy, Beaulieu, Klefbom) on what you had?

We trust our scouts to make the best decisions for our club, especially Pracey whom has had a solid draft record since he took over our scouting department and frequently drills home that the Avs draft BPA, not by need.

The problem is not Duncan having regressed, the problem is new toys in the league and Duncan not being a big time offensive player to stand out on the stats sheet.

He isn't much older than some of the 2012 drafted prospects anyways.

Old
10-17-2012, 02:24 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewolfe2015 View Post
If we made a mistake, Philadelphia was going to make an even bigger mistake had Couturier not of fallen. They told Duncan he was 'their guy' before the draft.

Frankly, no we are not upset. Siemens has top pairing potential and could be the missing piece we need down the road to pair with EJ if we can't acquire another defender. At worse he should be a 2nd pairing defender with Elliott.

If you had the chance to draft a big, slick skating defender with a booming shot, mean streak along the lines of Pronger (on some nights) and that had known chemistry with your #1 prospect at the time, would you pass up that opportunity to add more depth to a strong position in the organization when you really weren't sure the players were even that much of an upgrade (Murphy, Beaulieu, Klefbom) on what you had?
Siemens shot is really not that good, his passing is much better.

Quote:
The problem is not Duncan having regressed, the problem is new toys in the league and Duncan not being a big time offensive player to stand out on the stats sheet.
Well said about what HFBoards is all about.

Old
10-17-2012, 02:26 PM
Lonewolfe2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by S E P H View Post
Siemens shot is really not that good, his passing is much better.
From what I've read, I was led to believe he had pretty decent strength behind it. But can't win em all I suppose?

I've just excited to have a guy with some cockiness in him, I love people like that when they can back it up.

Old
10-17-2012, 03:40 PM
R S
Renegade Stylings

Quote:
Originally Posted by henchman24 View Post
Like RS said that can be said about every draft, but the Siemens pick is completely understandable. A big mobile defensemen with a nasty streak like his can be hard to find. He won't develop into a #1, but I can easily still see him being a top 4 shutdown defender. I might be in the minority, but I think it would do him some good to get traded away from Saskatoon and get a fresh start.

I wanted the Avs to pick Bartschi during that draft and still wished they would have. That is the only player I really have an issue passing up.
You would be in the great minority I think, considering the circumstances.

1. Blades host the Memorial Cup. A huge proving ground experience for a player.

2. This is basically guaranteed to be his final year of jr, don't see how half a season elsewhere would be a 'fresh start'.

Duncan's 'fresh start' will be when he goes pro. I've said it here before and will repeat it...I think that's when he will really start developing more as a person/player both on and off the ice.

Old
10-17-2012, 04:20 PM
henchman24
#ImagineAvs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade Stylings View Post

2. This is basically guaranteed to be his final year of jr, don't see how half a season elsewhere would be a 'fresh start'.

Duncan's 'fresh start' will be when he goes pro. I've said it here before and will repeat it...I think that's when he will really start developing more as a person/player both on and off the ice.
Agreed his fresh start will come when he turns pro next year. I don't see Saskatoon trading him off because of the Memorial Cup. That said...

1. Many players have developed and done well never playing in a Memorial Cup, it isn't the end all, be all for a prospect. It is just an added bonus if it happens.

2. This will be his last year of junior and he should be in Lake Erie next year. I see it as a chance for him to get around a new set of teammates, new coaching staff, and new management where he would have a clean slate. None of the baggage that has happened over the last season and a half. Whether or not it was totally his fault or not for losing the captaincy, he still lost it and he made some dumb mistakes in the process. It has been implied that the locker room isn't happy, and he is a part of that, maybe not a big part but a part. Going to a different team for a half a season might do him well so he can just clear his head and play hockey with out the noise.

Obviously my opinion is from an outside perspective, but I have been in an unhappy locker room before and it isn't fun especially when you are losing, moving on helped take the pressure off and made hockey fun again. Your perspective might be more biased because of your proximity to the team.

Old
10-17-2012, 04:38 PM
Huis Clos*
Creamy Hamstrings

Quote:
Yes, kid has bust written all over him.

Old
10-17-2012, 07:23 PM
Foppa2118

Quote:
Firstly, there's no way you can say at this point what a player like Siemens will develop into. it could reach many different levels at this point.

Secondly, I don't think anyones upset they drafted him, even after this news. I think there's a lot of excuses and downplaying of something that's clearly no small issue, especially on this board. However, that doesn't mean he won't be able to learn from it and grow into a good team player at the NHL level. It's where he goes from here that is more important, than what he did have the C stripped from him.

I'm pretty sure the majority of Avs fans are still supportive and high on him as a prospect.

Old
10-17-2012, 08:09 PM
Goulet17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade Stylings View Post

It sounds like the Blades have some real internal issues. Unless the Avs are completely oblivious to the situation, it sounds like it may no longer be the best situation for Duncan.

Old
10-18-2012, 03:04 AM
klozge
Avs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goulet17 View Post
It sounds like the Blades have some real internal issues. Unless the Avs are completely oblivious to the situation, it sounds like it may no longer be the best situation for Duncan.
I don't think there's much the Avs can do about it now. Also, I don't see a huge problem. He will probably learn a lot of things this year just because of the situation his team is in.

Old
10-18-2012, 10:00 AM
R S
Renegade Stylings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goulet17 View Post
Why do you say that? I don't think it's true at all. From what I've seen, Duncan just is a bit of a different personality than the other guys in the room and getting to be around a fresh group of young men as a pro will be a good thing for him.

Old
10-18-2012, 03:22 PM
Foppa2118

Can we stop BS'ing about this whole thing? It's not the team's fault, they don't have any internal issues. It's not Duncan's fault, he just missed a couple meetings, and has a different personality, and everything will be fine when he's around a new group. But it's not the current groups fault either.

So a situation where a team stripped their captain of the C, and the new captain gave four other guys A's instead of him, just organically happened, and nobody's really at fault, it's not a big deal, it's not a big distraction, and Duncan wouldn't benefit from being on another team.

You've got to be kidding me. It doesn't have to define what his career will be, and it doesn't mean it didn't involve a bunch of little things, and maybe the team overreacted, but can we stop blowing smoke into the story and acting like there are no negatives whatsover involved in the whole thing?

Old
10-18-2012, 04:29 PM
Kloparren
Hth

I'm not upset about the Siemens pick though he never excited me, I'm upset that we took a risk anx drafted Hishon when safer pivks like Coyle or Bjugstad were available.

Old
10-18-2012, 05:19 PM
TheFactor
Johnny Malkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuietCompany View Post
I'm not upset about the Siemens pick though he never excited me, I'm upset that we took a risk anx drafted Hishon when safer pivks like Coyle or Bjugstad were available.
Every pick is a risk. I'd take a healthy Hishon over those two.

Old
10-18-2012, 05:39 PM
R S
Renegade Stylings

Quote:
Me too.

I would also put guys like Etem, Tinordi, Kuznetsov in that group.

Old
10-18-2012, 05:54 PM
Lonewolfe2015

I wanted Watson... and still do.

Old
10-18-2012, 07:40 PM
CB Joe

vCash: 496
I'm glad the Avs took Hishon, he's highly skilled. It was a risky, but potentially rewarding pick. Time will tell how it plays out.

Old
10-18-2012, 11:37 PM
Zandar

Quote:
What risk? His size? So would you still draft players like Colborne, Beach, Hodgson, Bailey, and so on over Eberle in 08? They all had really good junior/college careers and are safe picks. Maybe just maybe Hodgson makes an impact even near what Eberle does NOW. After the top few pics, there were maybe 2-3 players drafted that will have an impact like Eberle.
No one could have expected a cheap hit and one to have the effect this one did. How many first round picks would it take to acquire Eberle? How many quality players to get him? It's hard Enough getting an impact player in the first round so you go for it when you believe one is there...otherwise you collect borderline players. If you draft 4 times in the first round and go high risk high reward, you have a better chance landing one or more impact players than trading those 4 picks for an impact player of Eberle's level. Avs did good getting Wolski, Stewart, and Shattenkirk (Sbisa was the 08 pick). Would all 4 get you Eberle? What if the Avs drafted Eberle in 08? Sure players look good now (few years after the draft) but who would be the better player if everything works out?

Closed Thread