HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Notices

And we are locked out again (No Progress ,, Talks collapse)

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-17-2012, 05:47 PM
  #326
coldsteelonice84
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 24,583
vCash: 10592
Here's the thing. The deal they had was good enough for the NHL last time, when the game was less popular. Now the league is more popular and making more money than it was yet the owners want the players to take it in the ass again. And in these labor negotiations, once something is gone, it is gone for good, not getting it back.

coldsteelonice84 is offline  
Old
10-17-2012, 05:51 PM
  #327
MagicSlap*
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 2,471
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldsteelonice84 View Post
Here's the thing. The deal they had was good enough for the NHL last time, when the game was less popular. Now the league is more popular and making more money than it was yet the owners want the players to take it in the ass again. And in these labor negotiations, once something is gone, it is gone for good, not getting it back.
Why do NHL players deserve a significantly greater percentage of league revenues compared to any other major sport?

MagicSlap* is offline  
Old
10-17-2012, 05:53 PM
  #328
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator
 
Blackhawkswincup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Chicagoland
Country: United States
Posts: 100,860
vCash: 340
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldsteelonice84 View Post
Here's the thing. The deal they had was good enough for the NHL last time, when the game was less popular. Now the league is more popular and making more money than it was yet the owners want the players to take it in the ass again. And in these labor negotiations, once something is gone, it is gone for good, not getting it back.
And costs have gone up on non player costs fuel , Hotel , Stadium workers , etc that NHL owners have to deal with (But players dont)

Not to mention player salaries have skyrocketed

Owners take all the risk financially

Blackhawkswincup is offline  
Old
10-17-2012, 05:53 PM
  #329
Hawkaholic
Registered User
 
Hawkaholic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: London, Ont.
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,827
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicSlap View Post
Oh yeah I really feel bad for the guy who is only going to be making $35 million, poor guy. Also, he'd likely receive a higher salary if there was a max contract length. I don't feel bad for any of these multimillionaires who play a sport for a living.

Yeah, cause the NHLPA has made ANY reasonable offers.
The NHL has made reasonable offers, youre out of it if you think other wise.
And youre right, we shouldn't feel bad about Hossa making 30mil instead of 60..but its OK that the owner makes 100mil instead of 50mil.
**** the owners, I'm with the players all the way.

Hawkaholic is offline  
Old
10-17-2012, 05:54 PM
  #330
Hawkaholic
Registered User
 
Hawkaholic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: London, Ont.
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,827
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicSlap View Post
Why do NHL players deserve a significantly greater percentage of league revenues compared to any other major sport?
They dont, but they do deserve contractual rights. 5yrs max is ********.

Hawkaholic is offline  
Old
10-17-2012, 05:55 PM
  #331
MagicSlap*
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 2,471
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkaholic View Post
The NHL has made reasonable offers, youre out of it if you think other wise.
And youre right, we shouldn't feel bad about Hossa making 30mil instead of 60..but its OK that the owner makes 100mil instead of 50mil.
**** the owners, I'm with the players all the way.
I agree the NHL has, I'm saying the NHLPA hasn't. Reading is fundamental.

There are 0 NHL owners that made $50 million last year.

MagicSlap* is offline  
Old
10-17-2012, 05:57 PM
  #332
Hawkaholic
Registered User
 
Hawkaholic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: London, Ont.
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,827
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup View Post
And costs have gone up on non player costs fuel , Hotel , Stadium workers , etc that NHL owners have to deal with (But players dont)

Not to mention player salaries have skyrocketed

Owners take all the risk financially
And the players take all the risk playing one of the most violent sports.

The cost of living has gone up too.

Hawkaholic is offline  
Old
10-17-2012, 05:59 PM
  #333
Hawkaholic
Registered User
 
Hawkaholic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: London, Ont.
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,827
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicSlap View Post
I agree the NHL has, I'm saying the NHLPA hasn't. Reading is fundamental.

There are 0 NHL owners that made $50 million last year.
I meant the PA, not NHL. That was the first offer that the NHL made any kind of step forward.
The PA has made significant steps forward with their proposals.

In 6years, I bet there are at least half of the teams making 50mil.

Hawkaholic is offline  
Old
10-17-2012, 05:59 PM
  #334
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator
 
Blackhawkswincup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Chicagoland
Country: United States
Posts: 100,860
vCash: 340
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkaholic View Post
And the players take all the risk playing one of the most violent sports.

The cost of living has gone up too.
Give me a ####### break with the cost of living garbage ,, NHL Players or any professional athlete doesn't have to worry about the cost of living

They wont be forced to choose between food or electricity or have to worry how they will afford taking there child to a doctor

Blackhawkswincup is offline  
Old
10-17-2012, 05:59 PM
  #335
MagicSlap*
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 2,471
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkaholic View Post
They dont, but they do deserve contractual rights. 5yrs max is ********.
Why? 5 years in the NHL even at minimum salary is more money than the vast majority of people will make in their lives.

What percentage of players even get 5 year deals? Not a large one I'll tell you that. All that does is cut down the amount of money super stars can make which makes the landscape more competitive for lower budget teams.

Listening to the players cry about being bullied and how unfair things are "50 50 doesn't always mean 50 50" is laughable.

MagicSlap* is offline  
Old
10-17-2012, 06:01 PM
  #336
MagicSlap*
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 2,471
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkaholic View Post
And the players take all the risk playing one of the most violent sports.

The cost of living has gone up too.
Oh yeah and other jobs aren't hard on the body either. Lots of people actually die on the job making FAR less money than NHL players. THe cost of living? Yeah I doubt ANY of them notice it, the league minimum is 10x the average family income in America.

MagicSlap* is offline  
Old
10-17-2012, 06:02 PM
  #337
Hawkaholic
Registered User
 
Hawkaholic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: London, Ont.
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,827
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup View Post
Give me a ####### break with the cost of living garbage ,, NHL Players or any professional athlete doesn't have to worry about the cost of living

They wont be forced to choose between food or electricity or have to worry how they will afford taking there child to a doctor
..and the owners will?
Quick fact, the owners are FAR more richer than your avg NHLer.

Bettman has done what he planned to do, hand out ****** offers throughout the lockout, then at the last min, throw a proposal out that looks good on the surface so sheeple back the owners side. Bettman is a smart man.

Hawkaholic is offline  
Old
10-17-2012, 06:06 PM
  #338
Hawkaholic
Registered User
 
Hawkaholic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: London, Ont.
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,827
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicSlap View Post
Oh yeah and other jobs aren't hard on the body either. Lots of people actually die on the job making FAR less money than NHL players. THe cost of living? Yeah I doubt ANY of them notice it, the league minimum is 10x the average family income in America.
Really? We are comparing NHLers to avg workers?Lets compare them to the owners, the union they're fighting.
But go ahead, back Bettman and Co. ..thats exactly what he wanted with this ****** proposal.

Hawkaholic is offline  
Old
10-17-2012, 06:08 PM
  #339
coldsteelonice84
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 24,583
vCash: 10592
The history of this league shows that next time around, they'll be getting less than the rest. Remember they were getting 76% as recently as the early 90's. They've lost a lot and the dramatic over expansion, while creating more jobs, is always going to drag down the overall player pool of money until it is laughable compared to other leagues or contraction happens.

coldsteelonice84 is offline  
Old
10-17-2012, 06:10 PM
  #340
Hawkaholic
Registered User
 
Hawkaholic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: London, Ont.
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,827
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldsteelonice84 View Post
The history of this league shows that next time around, they'll be getting less than the rest. Remember they were getting 76% as recently as the early 90's. They've lost a lot and the dramatic over expansion, while creating more jobs, is always going to drag down the overall player pool of money until it is laughable compared to other leagues or contraction happens.
Yup, next time the CBA is up they will offer 40% in June, and then offer 45% in October and fans will say"sign this awesome deal"

It's pathetic that fans are backing these **********.

Hawkaholic is offline  
Old
10-17-2012, 06:12 PM
  #341
Hawkaholic
Registered User
 
Hawkaholic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: London, Ont.
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,827
vCash: 500
The players should all just play for 100k a year..thats more than your avg worker makes. He wont have to worry about feeding his kids at home. Meanwhile, the owner wont have to worry about fueling their private jets to go to these meetings.

Hawkaholic is offline  
Old
10-17-2012, 06:13 PM
  #342
BobbyJet
Registered User
 
BobbyJet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Dundas, Ontario. Can
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,065
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkaholic View Post
The NHL has made reasonable offers, youre out of it if you think other wise.
And youre right, we shouldn't feel bad about Hossa making 30mil instead of 60..but its OK that the owner makes 100mil instead of 50mil.
**** the owners, I'm with the players all the way.
You just don't get it. The players get paid no matter what. The owners must run a business and risk millions if not billions to keep it afloat. If you want to put the two in the same painting, how about the players take the same financial risks. Yeah right. They want their cake and eat it too, like it's always been for these spoiled brats.

BobbyJet is offline  
Old
10-17-2012, 06:18 PM
  #343
MagicSlap*
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 2,471
vCash: 500
Reminder: The NHLPA were the ones who refused to start negotiations until after the season,
"Gary Bettman had stressed, from the All-Star break on, that the league was ready to begin talks as soon as Donald Fehr and the NHLPA were ready. The union reasoned that it still time needed to organize, and that players were busy with the season and playoffs."

"Bettman suggested that the union has been “delaying” in hope of somehow keeping something close to the expiring CBA. Bettman said the league wanted to begin negotiations last summer, but the players kept putting the talks off until late June."

It's the PA, now that that is settled, it is FACT the PA made no official counter offer since their initial proposal. So as of now they have made ZERO realistic proposals.

In 6 years maybe half are and how many clubs are making significantly less, how many aren't making any money at all? Hint, the number is far greater than the small handful of clubs making 50 million.

NHL players are NOTHING special and don't deserve ANYTHING. They play a sport for a living and many are multimillionaires and will be set for life.

As I've sad 5 year contract limits only hurt superstars who are set anyway.

MagicSlap* is offline  
Old
10-17-2012, 06:19 PM
  #344
Hawkaholic
Registered User
 
Hawkaholic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: London, Ont.
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,827
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyJet View Post
You just don't get it. The players get paid no matter what. The owners must run a business and risk millions if not billions to keep it afloat. If you want to put the two in the same painting, how about the players take the same financial risks. Yeah right. They want their cake and eat it too, like it's always been for these spoiled brats.
You don't get it. Owners will get their money with the last PA proposal, but the top money makers dont want to share their money. The players dont get paid if they get hurt and their career is done. I'm not just talking Crosby, Im talking the 80% of players that only play for a few years.
They want a fair deal, they shouldnt have to take financial risk, they are players.

If your employer wanted to cut your paychq by 7% just to make sure he could keep his Mercedes Benz, how would you feel?

Hawkaholic is offline  
Old
10-17-2012, 06:22 PM
  #345
MagicSlap*
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 2,471
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkaholic View Post
You don't get it. Owners will get their money with the last PA proposal, but the top money makers dont want to share their money. The players dont get paid if they get hurt and their career is done. I'm not just talking Crosby, Im talking the 80% of players that only play for a few years.
They want a fair deal, they shouldnt have to take financial risk, they are players.

If your employer wanted to cut your paychq by 7% just to make sure he could keep his Mercedes Benz, how would you feel?
A player who plays a few years and is out of the league has made more money than most people will in their entire lives and they can still work after.

Also, the 7% cut is made whole in three years so it's a temporary cap cut with no current salaries being cut.

MagicSlap* is offline  
Old
10-17-2012, 06:23 PM
  #346
BobbyJet
Registered User
 
BobbyJet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Dundas, Ontario. Can
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,065
vCash: 500
/\ The players are greedy. Simple as that.

BobbyJet is offline  
Old
10-17-2012, 06:26 PM
  #347
Hawkaholic
Registered User
 
Hawkaholic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: London, Ont.
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,827
vCash: 500
The owners are greedier, simple as that.

Hawkaholic is offline  
Old
10-17-2012, 06:27 PM
  #348
Hawkaholic
Registered User
 
Hawkaholic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: London, Ont.
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,827
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicSlap View Post
A player who plays a few years and is out of the league has made more money than most people will in their entire lives and they can still work after.

Also, the 7% cut is made whole in three years so it's a temporary cap cut with no current salaries being cut.
Again, comparing them to avg workers, instead of the union they are fighting is laughable.

Hawkaholic is offline  
Old
10-17-2012, 06:28 PM
  #349
MagicSlap*
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 2,471
vCash: 500
LOL I love Hawk passing over the post that refutes every single one of his points.

How can the owners be greedier when they met the PA in the middle? 43% and 57% were the starting points. Also, many owners are losing money, how many players are?

MagicSlap* is offline  
Old
10-17-2012, 07:11 PM
  #350
hockeydoug
Registered User
 
hockeydoug's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Country: United States
Posts: 1,558
vCash: 500
Both groups have a twisted greedy introverted perspective of the whole mess. As a fan of the NHL I favor the owners, but only because I think it's better for the league. I really don't like the owners (especially the Jacobs, Snider, Karmanos, etc. crowd) but I can't trust the PA to do anything smart for the league, they've misevaluated their position for decades and haven't given me any reason to think they're ready to make a smart decision for the good of the game of for their own long-term interests.

Owners do not take 100% of the risk, we hear this often but it's just not that true. Most buy into teams with gauranteed sponsorship/naming right contracts and revenue already established, and owners like Wirtz make money indirect of hockey operations but directly because they own a NHL franchise no matter how he runs the business. Many have some sort of support from the league as a whole (appreciation of the asset or revenue sharing). Individual owners only own a franchise. They risk s loss but also stand to gain the most, but their risk and reward is hedged since they are only a franchise owner.

That being said, strong stable ownership is the most important thing for the league to give the best overall product in my opinion, so as a fan, I think any deal should slightly favor the unlikable owners.

The players are a joke, the PA is a joke. They sat on their hands while the owners have been planning for years as I and others have said. If they weren't a selfish lot, they would have been out there asking for changes in the CBA everytime an owner complained about payroll and/or expenses and losses.

After so much of the righteous indignation shown by the players, I can't imagine this offer will be received well by the majority of players. Maybe we'll get lucky.

hockeydoug is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:36 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.