HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Notices

And we are locked out again (No Progress ,, Talks collapse)

Closed Thread

Old
10-17-2012, 05:47 PM
coldsteelonice84

vCash: 10592
Here's the thing. The deal they had was good enough for the NHL last time, when the game was less popular. Now the league is more popular and making more money than it was yet the owners want the players to take it in the ass again. And in these labor negotiations, once something is gone, it is gone for good, not getting it back.

Old
10-17-2012, 05:51 PM
MagicSlap*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldsteelonice84 View Post
Here's the thing. The deal they had was good enough for the NHL last time, when the game was less popular. Now the league is more popular and making more money than it was yet the owners want the players to take it in the ass again. And in these labor negotiations, once something is gone, it is gone for good, not getting it back.
Why do NHL players deserve a significantly greater percentage of league revenues compared to any other major sport?

Old
10-17-2012, 05:53 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

vCash: 340
Quote:
And costs have gone up on non player costs fuel , Hotel , Stadium workers , etc that NHL owners have to deal with (But players dont)

Not to mention player salaries have skyrocketed

Owners take all the risk financially

Old
10-17-2012, 05:53 PM
Hawkaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicSlap View Post
Oh yeah I really feel bad for the guy who is only going to be making $35 million, poor guy. Also, he'd likely receive a higher salary if there was a max contract length. I don't feel bad for any of these multimillionaires who play a sport for a living.

Yeah, cause the NHLPA has made ANY reasonable offers.
The NHL has made reasonable offers, youre out of it if you think other wise.
And youre right, we shouldn't feel bad about Hossa making 30mil instead of 60..but its OK that the owner makes 100mil instead of 50mil.
**** the owners, I'm with the players all the way.

Old
10-17-2012, 05:54 PM
Hawkaholic

Quote:
Why do NHL players deserve a significantly greater percentage of league revenues compared to any other major sport?
They dont, but they do deserve contractual rights. 5yrs max is ********.

Old
10-17-2012, 05:55 PM
MagicSlap*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkaholic View Post
And youre right, we shouldn't feel bad about Hossa making 30mil instead of 60..but its OK that the owner makes 100mil instead of 50mil.
I agree the NHL has, I'm saying the NHLPA hasn't. Reading is fundamental.

There are 0 NHL owners that made $50 million last year.

Old
10-17-2012, 05:57 PM
Hawkaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup View Post
And costs have gone up on non player costs fuel , Hotel , Stadium workers , etc that NHL owners have to deal with (But players dont)

Not to mention player salaries have skyrocketed

Owners take all the risk financially
And the players take all the risk playing one of the most violent sports.

The cost of living has gone up too.

Old
10-17-2012, 05:59 PM
Hawkaholic

Quote:
I agree the NHL has, I'm saying the NHLPA hasn't. Reading is fundamental.

There are 0 NHL owners that made $50 million last year.
I meant the PA, not NHL. That was the first offer that the NHL made any kind of step forward.
The PA has made significant steps forward with their proposals.

In 6years, I bet there are at least half of the teams making 50mil.

Old
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

vCash: 340
Quote:

Give me a ####### break with the cost of living garbage ,, NHL Players or any professional athlete doesn't have to worry about the cost of living

They wont be forced to choose between food or electricity or have to worry how they will afford taking there child to a doctor

Old
MagicSlap*

Quote:
They dont, but they do deserve contractual rights. 5yrs max is ********.
Why? 5 years in the NHL even at minimum salary is more money than the vast majority of people will make in their lives.

What percentage of players even get 5 year deals? Not a large one I'll tell you that. All that does is cut down the amount of money super stars can make which makes the landscape more competitive for lower budget teams.

Listening to the players cry about being bullied and how unfair things are "50 50 doesn't always mean 50 50" is laughable.

Old
10-17-2012, 06:01 PM
MagicSlap*

Quote:

Oh yeah and other jobs aren't hard on the body either. Lots of people actually die on the job making FAR less money than NHL players. THe cost of living? Yeah I doubt ANY of them notice it, the league minimum is 10x the average family income in America.

Old
10-17-2012, 06:02 PM
Hawkaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup View Post
Give me a ####### break with the cost of living garbage ,, NHL Players or any professional athlete doesn't have to worry about the cost of living

They wont be forced to choose between food or electricity or have to worry how they will afford taking there child to a doctor
..and the owners will?
Quick fact, the owners are FAR more richer than your avg NHLer.

Bettman has done what he planned to do, hand out ****** offers throughout the lockout, then at the last min, throw a proposal out that looks good on the surface so sheeple back the owners side. Bettman is a smart man.

Old
10-17-2012, 06:06 PM
Hawkaholic

Quote:
Oh yeah and other jobs aren't hard on the body either. Lots of people actually die on the job making FAR less money than NHL players. THe cost of living? Yeah I doubt ANY of them notice it, the league minimum is 10x the average family income in America.
Really? We are comparing NHLers to avg workers?Lets compare them to the owners, the union they're fighting.
But go ahead, back Bettman and Co. ..thats exactly what he wanted with this ****** proposal.

Old
10-17-2012, 06:08 PM
coldsteelonice84

vCash: 10592
The history of this league shows that next time around, they'll be getting less than the rest. Remember they were getting 76% as recently as the early 90's. They've lost a lot and the dramatic over expansion, while creating more jobs, is always going to drag down the overall player pool of money until it is laughable compared to other leagues or contraction happens.

Old
10-17-2012, 06:10 PM
Hawkaholic

Quote:
The history of this league shows that next time around, they'll be getting less than the rest. Remember they were getting 76% as recently as the early 90's. They've lost a lot and the dramatic over expansion, while creating more jobs, is always going to drag down the overall player pool of money until it is laughable compared to other leagues or contraction happens.
Yup, next time the CBA is up they will offer 40% in June, and then offer 45% in October and fans will say"sign this awesome deal"

It's pathetic that fans are backing these **********.

Old
10-17-2012, 06:12 PM
Hawkaholic

The players should all just play for 100k a year..thats more than your avg worker makes. He wont have to worry about feeding his kids at home. Meanwhile, the owner wont have to worry about fueling their private jets to go to these meetings.

Old
10-17-2012, 06:13 PM
BobbyJet

Quote:
You just don't get it. The players get paid no matter what. The owners must run a business and risk millions if not billions to keep it afloat. If you want to put the two in the same painting, how about the players take the same financial risks. Yeah right. They want their cake and eat it too, like it's always been for these spoiled brats.

Old
10-17-2012, 06:18 PM
MagicSlap*

Reminder: The NHLPA were the ones who refused to start negotiations until after the season,
"Gary Bettman had stressed, from the All-Star break on, that the league was ready to begin talks as soon as Donald Fehr and the NHLPA were ready. The union reasoned that it still time needed to organize, and that players were busy with the season and playoffs."

"Bettman suggested that the union has been “delaying” in hope of somehow keeping something close to the expiring CBA. Bettman said the league wanted to begin negotiations last summer, but the players kept putting the talks off until late June."

It's the PA, now that that is settled, it is FACT the PA made no official counter offer since their initial proposal. So as of now they have made ZERO realistic proposals.

In 6 years maybe half are and how many clubs are making significantly less, how many aren't making any money at all? Hint, the number is far greater than the small handful of clubs making 50 million.

NHL players are NOTHING special and don't deserve ANYTHING. They play a sport for a living and many are multimillionaires and will be set for life.

As I've sad 5 year contract limits only hurt superstars who are set anyway.

Old
10-17-2012, 06:19 PM
Hawkaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyJet View Post
You just don't get it. The players get paid no matter what. The owners must run a business and risk millions if not billions to keep it afloat. If you want to put the two in the same painting, how about the players take the same financial risks. Yeah right. They want their cake and eat it too, like it's always been for these spoiled brats.
You don't get it. Owners will get their money with the last PA proposal, but the top money makers dont want to share their money. The players dont get paid if they get hurt and their career is done. I'm not just talking Crosby, Im talking the 80% of players that only play for a few years.
They want a fair deal, they shouldnt have to take financial risk, they are players.

If your employer wanted to cut your paychq by 7% just to make sure he could keep his Mercedes Benz, how would you feel?

Old
10-17-2012, 06:22 PM
MagicSlap*

Quote:
You don't get it. Owners will get their money with the last PA proposal, but the top money makers dont want to share their money. The players dont get paid if they get hurt and their career is done. I'm not just talking Crosby, Im talking the 80% of players that only play for a few years.
They want a fair deal, they shouldnt have to take financial risk, they are players.

If your employer wanted to cut your paychq by 7% just to make sure he could keep his Mercedes Benz, how would you feel?
A player who plays a few years and is out of the league has made more money than most people will in their entire lives and they can still work after.

Also, the 7% cut is made whole in three years so it's a temporary cap cut with no current salaries being cut.

Old
10-17-2012, 06:23 PM
BobbyJet

/\ The players are greedy. Simple as that.

Old
10-17-2012, 06:26 PM
Hawkaholic

The owners are greedier, simple as that.

Old
10-17-2012, 06:27 PM
Hawkaholic

Quote:
A player who plays a few years and is out of the league has made more money than most people will in their entire lives and they can still work after.

Also, the 7% cut is made whole in three years so it's a temporary cap cut with no current salaries being cut.
Again, comparing them to avg workers, instead of the union they are fighting is laughable.

Old
10-17-2012, 06:28 PM
MagicSlap*

LOL I love Hawk passing over the post that refutes every single one of his points.

How can the owners be greedier when they met the PA in the middle? 43% and 57% were the starting points. Also, many owners are losing money, how many players are?

Old
10-17-2012, 07:11 PM
hockeydoug

Both groups have a twisted greedy introverted perspective of the whole mess. As a fan of the NHL I favor the owners, but only because I think it's better for the league. I really don't like the owners (especially the Jacobs, Snider, Karmanos, etc. crowd) but I can't trust the PA to do anything smart for the league, they've misevaluated their position for decades and haven't given me any reason to think they're ready to make a smart decision for the good of the game of for their own long-term interests.

Owners do not take 100% of the risk, we hear this often but it's just not that true. Most buy into teams with gauranteed sponsorship/naming right contracts and revenue already established, and owners like Wirtz make money indirect of hockey operations but directly because they own a NHL franchise no matter how he runs the business. Many have some sort of support from the league as a whole (appreciation of the asset or revenue sharing). Individual owners only own a franchise. They risk s loss but also stand to gain the most, but their risk and reward is hedged since they are only a franchise owner.

That being said, strong stable ownership is the most important thing for the league to give the best overall product in my opinion, so as a fan, I think any deal should slightly favor the unlikable owners.

The players are a joke, the PA is a joke. They sat on their hands while the owners have been planning for years as I and others have said. If they weren't a selfish lot, they would have been out there asking for changes in the CBA everytime an owner complained about payroll and/or expenses and losses.

After so much of the righteous indignation shown by the players, I can't imagine this offer will be received well by the majority of players. Maybe we'll get lucky.

Closed Thread