HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Notices

Matt Duchene

Old
10-17-2012, 03:17 PM
FoppaForsberg*

vCash: 500
Matt Duchene

Does anyone believe that he will be as good as he was once billed? I know he's young and is only coming off one bad season but the buzz around Duchene isn't nearly as postive as it once was. Do people still believe he'll be a PPG player? or a 60ish point player who's too fancy for him to get to that elite level?

FoppaForsberg* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2012, 03:21 PM
AdamCalderHero
Blaze = UK Avs

vCash: 50
I firmly believe he will be a ppg player for at least a few seasons. Hes a young guy and while I dont like using the word immature I think it will take him a while to figure out what makes him truly effective. He has such a good skill set I think he will figure it out be a consistent performer.

AdamCalderHero is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2012, 03:34 PM
Gigantor The Goalie

vCash: 366
He'll be just fine. He's shown with this new contract he's at least maturing a bit to say the least. He was pretty apologetic too at the end of the season. This off-season hasn't been a parade of tweets about all these fish he caught or anything like that. He's still pretty young and has time to grow. I for one can't wait to see what he does once he rejoins the Avalanche.

Gigantor The Goalie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2012, 03:53 PM
WarriorOfGandhi
Was saying Boo-urns

vCash: 142
he's no Bozak, Kadri, MacArthur, 3rd

WarriorOfGandhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2012, 03:57 PM
Hanklite*
Bettman's Bro

I, for one, hope he stays in Sweden until he learns to finish and not just dance around.

Hanklite* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2012, 04:09 PM
expatriated_texan
Freaking Loopy

It's up to him. I think he's got time to become a #1 C still, but I do believe the next two years are crucial. He should be a clear-cut #2 C by now but the AVs have the luxury of both Stastny and ROR. I know his injuries really bothered him last season but he's going to have to work his ass off to get ice time over those guys...and he's only going to be able to do so by making the most out of whatever situation Sacco puts him in.

I won't ever call him a bust...but I would suggest that maybe expectations were set kinda high for him.

expatriated_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2012, 04:15 PM
Christian Litscher
Hockey's Future Staff

Still the player we'll build around along with Landeskog.

Christian Litscher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2012, 04:24 PM
henchman24
#ImagineAvs

All the talent to be a #1C, and with time I think he will be. Injuries and immaturity I think have held him back. Give him a couple healthy seasons and I think he will become a solid-good #1C.

henchman24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2012, 05:29 PM
Drizzt1

Initially, I thought he'd be as good, if not better than John Tavares. In the end, I hope he remains a viable option for us, because I'd hate for him to become one of those "bust" categorised players that he's started down the path of becoming.

I'm not writing him off though. Last season was dreadful with injury. I'd be keen to see how he fares this season, because without him firing, Hejduk and Parenteau may not fire.

Without all three not performing, we'd be relying again on O'Reilly to stay as productive, and I really hope that wasn't a one off career production type of year.

Then again, it also means we'd need 20-30 goals from Mcginn, Stazz and Jones.

He's imperative to our team.

Drizzt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2012, 05:49 PM
expatriated_texan
Freaking Loopy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drizzt1 View Post
Initially, I thought he'd be as good, if not better than John Tavares. In the end, I hope he remains a viable option for us, because I'd hate for him to become one of those "bust" categorised players that he's started down the path of becoming.

I'm not writing him off though. Last season was dreadful with injury. I'd be keen to see how he fares this season, because without him firing, Hejduk and Parenteau may not fire.

Without all three not performing, we'd be relying again on O'Reilly to stay as productive, and I really hope that wasn't a one off career production type of year.

Then again, it also means we'd need 20-30 goals from Mcginn, Stazz and Jones.

He's imperative to our team.
We've got in alphabetical order Downie, Duchene, Hejduk, Jones, Landeskog, McGinn, O'Reilly, Parenteau and Stastny in our top six. That's nine players vying for six slots. I think we're in a pretty good spot. There are some serious questions whether or not some of these younger players can maintain the boost that came with their addition (McGinn, Downie) but I think both will be fine provided they find a solid line to call home.

To me, this is Sacco's do or die year. He showed brilliance his first season here. The last one...not so much. However, he's had to deal with a young roster and one with some injured key players. He's got all the pieces now to make two scoring threats and a solid defensive third or spread things out and make three good lines. How he handles this challenge will speak volumes about the AVs playoff chances.

My choice:
1. McGinn-Stastny-Jones
2. Downie-Duchene-Parenteau
3. Landeskog-O'Reilly-Hejduk

I think you could roll those lines all night long and be successful. I also think you could keep them together and have either one or three alternate duties between playing against the other teams top line. I'm worried a bit about Duchene and Parenteau from a defensive prospect but adding Downie to that mix gives them muscle in the offensive zone.

expatriated_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2012, 05:55 PM
BrickAHL
#NotUs

vCash: 432
I want to see Olver with Parenteau and Duchene instead of Hejduk.

BrickAHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2012, 06:04 PM
Drizzt1

Nah lads, I'm pretty sure the lines and pairings are set.

Mcginn - Stastny - Jones
Landeskog - O'Reilly - Downie
Parenteau - Duchene - Hejduk
Mcleod - Mitchell - Kobasew

Zanon - Johnson
Wilson - O'Brien
O'Byrne - Hejda

Varlamov
Giguere

I may have got the "sides" wrong in the defensive pairings, and Hejduk/Parenteau may play on the opposing wings, but that's pretty much it imo.

As much as I try, I don't see that as a contender. We NEED the likes of Duchene, Mcginn, Jones, Wilson and those types of players to step up.

We honestly lack one to two superstars unfortunately.

Old
10-17-2012, 06:05 PM
AdamCalderHero
Blaze = UK Avs

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrickAHL View Post
I want to see Olver with Parenteau and Duchene instead of Hejduk.
LOL I totally forgot that we even had a Parenteau. This lockout has been far to long already

AdamCalderHero is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2012, 06:07 PM
BrickAHL
#NotUs

vCash: 432
Quote:

Mcginn - Stastny - Jones

Zanon - Johnson
Wilson - O'Brien
O'Byrne - Hejda

Varlamov
Giguere

I may have got the "sides" wrong in the defensive pairings, and Hejduk/Parenteau may play on the opposing wings, but that's pretty much it imo.

As much as I try, I don't see that as a contender. We NEED the likes of Duchene, Mcginn, Jones, Wilson and those types of players to step up.

I hate that 4th line A LOT. I hope Heard/Malone and Olver make the team and I think Olver will make the team while Heard/Malone won't.

Also to the bolded, we won't be contenders this year for the Stanley Cup but we will be fighting and have a good chance of making the playoffs.

BrickAHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2012, 06:11 PM
Drizzt1

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrickAHL View Post
I hate that 4th line A LOT. I hope Heard/Malone and Olver make the team and I think Olver will make the team while Heard/Malone won't.

Also to the bolded, we won't be contenders this year for the Stanley Cup but we will be fighting and have a good chance of making the playoffs.
Yeah, I kind of agree with you, BUT, you look at the contracts that have been handed out, the only player on that 4th line in trouble of sitting in my opinion, is Kobasew.

The standout for Lake Eyrie (I have seen every game) this season is Malone. He's all over the ice and reminds me of O'Reilly (great two way player.)

I don't know how he'd go on the wing next to Mitchell.

I love Highlander, don't get me wrong, but I really don't get his contract length / amount.

Old
10-17-2012, 06:14 PM
AvsFan20
Bring back Downie

vCash: 125
Quote:

Mcginn - Stastny - Jones

Zanon - Johnson
Wilson - O'Brien
O'Byrne - Hejda

Varlamov
Giguere

I like the offense and goalies, but I'd change up the defense just a bit.

I'd like to see:

Wilson - Johnson
O'Byrne - Zanon
Hejda - O'Brien

I just don't like O'Byrne and Hejda together. Too much defense and a massive lack of offensive power.

I also don't like putting O'Brien with Johnson. I think if we truly want Johnson to turn into that #1 franchise defenseman we have to pair him with someone like Wilson, who is willing to take a back seat to Johnson when they're on the ice together. O'Brien is much too over-confident to take a back seat to Johnson, and I think that takes away from the game Johnson wants to play. He wants to be "that guy" when he's on the ice. I think putting O'Brien with an already established veteran (like Hejda) who already has his game figured out is a better place for him.

AvsFan20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2012, 06:35 PM
Ceremony
Stanley Cup Attitude

vCash: 499
Duchene is our most skilled forward and will lead the team in points next season.

ďItís embarrassing. Iím embarrassed to be here right now. Itís not even funny. And itís just embarrassing, the way we, you know, the energy we have in the room and the way we approach practices and the way we approach this game. Itís not how youíre going to win any games in this league." - Jean-Sebastien Giguere, April 8 2013
Ceremony is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2012, 06:35 PM
Lonewolfe2015

vCash: 239
Hunwick did not sign a 2-year contract to play 7th defender the entire season. He and Zanon will be in and out of the lineup as long as it remains healthy.

And I'm ok with that, Hunwick is a good little ball of energy if we don't put him in over his head and keep him motivated by not giving him a spot without effort.

I also expect at least two trades involving our defense by this time next year.

As far as Duchy goes, I'll leave it at the fact that anyone who thinks he won't ever be P/G hasn't been watching him play. He has all the talent in the world for that but he's still too immature to pull it all together.

Lonewolfe2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2012, 07:50 PM
FoppaForsberg*

Agree with a lot of responses here, he's too young to doubt too too much imo. Look at Giroux, he didn't get to the NHL full time until he was 22.

Old
10-17-2012, 07:55 PM
Drizzt1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewolfe2015 View Post
Hunwick did not sign a 2-year contract to play 7th defender the entire season. He and Zanon will be in and out of the lineup as long as it remains healthy.

And I'm ok with that, Hunwick is a good little ball of energy if we don't put him in over his head and keep him motivated by not giving him a spot without effort.

I also expect at least two trades involving our defense by this time next year.

As far as Duchy goes, I'll leave it at the fact that anyone who thinks he won't ever be P/G hasn't been watching him play. He has all the talent in the world for that but he's still too immature to pull it all together.
If we are relying on Hunwick to achieve anything, we are in deep trouble. I hope one of Barrie, Elliott or Gaunce get called up before he's in the line-up.

Secondly, I have seen Duchene play plenty, and he is NOT a point per game player, as I always suggested "under the current circumstance. What I mean by that, is that he's some what suffering from the Stastny syndrome, in that he plays with scrappers on his lines (you know, guys who can post 25-37 odd points per season - sometimes they will play above their level and score 40 odd).

For Duchene to be a marquee player that you suggest he should be, I'd recommend he'd need to be in a Backstrom or Datsyuk type of luxury, and play with guys like Zetterberg, Hossa, Semin and/or Ovechkin have over the years.

Avs are a FAR distance from having the calibre of any of those players in our line up. Really, we don't have one superstar (who puts the runs on the board) at present. We have a lot of hard working toilers.

Old
10-17-2012, 08:02 PM
FoppaForsberg*

Quote:
If we are relying on Hunwick to achieve anything, we are in deep trouble. I hope one of Barrie, Elliott or Gaunce get called up before he's in the line-up.

Secondly, I have seen Duchene play plenty, and he is NOT a point per game player, as I always suggested "under the current circumstance. What I mean by that, is that he's some what suffering from the Stastny syndrome, in that he plays with scrappers on his lines (you know, guys who can post 25-37 odd points per season - sometimes they will play above their level and score 40 odd).

For Duchene to be a marquee player that you suggest he should be, I'd recommend he'd need to be in a Backstrom or Datsyuk type of luxury, and play with guys like Zetterberg, Hossa, Semin and/or Ovechkin have over the years.

Avs are a FAR distance from having the calibre of any of those players in our line up. Really, we don't have one superstar (who puts the runs on the board) at present. We have a lot of hard working toilers.
Depth> Star power.
(unless you have Crosby/Malkin.)
EDIT: I get what you're saying, however in the future we will I believe have someone of the caliber of Hossa, Zetterberg, etc with Landeskog. As of right now, no. Duchene isn't a PPG player both because of his linemates and he isn't at that level yet, however I think in the future he has potential for that. Also I wouldn't say he'll be playing with scrappers this season, Parenteau is coming off a 60 some point season, and he will be paired with Duchene for most of the season imo. and none of Hejduk, Landeskog,Downie, or McGinn(Kind of) are scrappers.

Last edited by FoppaForsberg*: 10-17-2012 at 08:31 PM.
Old
10-17-2012, 08:28 PM
Lonewolfe2015

vCash: 239
Hunwick scored one of the top 5 goals for our team last season. The very fact we aren't relying on him for anything is why I feel he will do well as a 6th/7th defender.

Lonewolfe2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2012, 08:32 PM
Drizzt1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewolfe2015 View Post
Hunwick scored one of the top 5 goals for our team last season. The very fact we aren't relying on him for anything is why I feel he will do well as a 6th/7th defender.
Yeah, I remember the goal perfectly, but I also consider that a spontaneous goal, with a hell of a lot of luck (awesome pass by Mueller by the way - we'll miss him BIG). You decide:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8MYcSCTXIo

Your also talking about a guy who's scored 4 goals in his last 106 NHL games, and he's suposedely an offensive defensemen. No way. That goal isn't normal practice for him.

Old
10-17-2012, 08:47 PM
Mouse21*

Drizzit1 posts the entire lineup in every thread he posts in.

duchene will be fine, never going to be as good as tavares obviously, but should reach PPG a few years.

Mouse21* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2012, 09:20 PM
Wal Nichushkin
Lurker

he's 21

Last edited by Frenchy: 10-18-2012 at 07:27 PM.
Wal Nichushkin is offline   Reply With Quote