HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Information for a toddler

Old
10-17-2012, 03:54 PM
bazaaa*

vCash: 50
Information for a toddler

Hello
My kid just turned two and we're going to put him on the ice this winter.
When I played hockey (I started late and wasn't very good!), I would tape around the top of the skate, which I liked for support, and never got out of that. Though almost every other single person doesn't do that.

My question is, as a toddler, who will probably have problems with his ankles wobbling in the skates, should I tape the top of the skates so he has more ankle support?

bazaaa* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2012, 04:51 PM
bp spec

I think he will have problems just standing on the ice with skates. Taping the ankles maybe will help but the best would be if he learn how to skate, and keep his balance without taping his ankles. It will favor him later.
But I don't know, all I know is that me and my brothers never taped our ankles when we were that young. But here I am many years later, and taping my ankles anyway...

bp spec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2012, 05:10 PM
Stickchecked

vCash: 500
My girl is 2 and a half and we went skating a few weeks ago. She's very physical/coordinated and she spent the entire time needing to be held up while on the ice.

On the carpet, though, she was able to stand up on her own no problem and she got a kick out of that. I wouldn't tape his ankles, I would let him figure out the wobbliness.

But most of all, don't be too goal oriented. Just have a good time at the rink and make sure he wants to go back. Take a stroller in case he gets tired/bored and wants to be motored around the rink.

And about taping the ankles: Just moving my shin guards from outside my skate tongue to inside brought huge benefits to my skating. Restricting ankle movement takes away skating ability.

Stickchecked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2012, 07:06 PM
bazaaa*

Thanks guys.
I tried to tie them a little tighter today, while letting him walk on the carpet, and I think it gave him more support. It seems like if I do the top tight enough, it's high enough to support the ankles.

And thanks for the heads up about needing help the whole time, because he seemed pretty stable on the carpet today, and I was thinking it would transfer over to the ice somewhat, so now I won't be expecting it to.

We're going Saturday, I don't know if they let you bring the stroller on the ice? On Tues and Thur it's parent and kid skating, along with seniors, so I would think maybe then they would allow stroller. I guess really I can do what I want, they wouldn't really care anyways.

Also, what do you use for safety? Just a helmet? Or should I get knee pads too?

Old
10-17-2012, 07:31 PM
Stickchecked

No one should complain about a stroller. It can be fun taking the turns with it, just be aware that it can tip over pretty easily if you lean on it.

No hockey helmet will fit a 2 year old unless he has a huge mellon. We used a bike helmet. Here in Ottawa, helmets are now mandatory. If you got one for him, you should use it.

No knee pads are necessary, first off, he's not going to be skating alone. (Unless he's fantastically coordinated.) And toddlers are so low to the ground, they never hurt their knees when they fall.

2 is too young to get the hang of skating, but I fully agree with starting early because you want them to catch the bug and you never know how they'll do. So just focus on trying to get him to catch the ice rink bug. Buy some popcorn if they sell it and make it a fun outing. If he quickly gets bored, don't push it. The first time, my girl more enjoyed watching me skate.

Whatever makes them want to go back.

One last idea for catching the bug: I took my girl to a random hockey game, just dropped in to a rink in town. Turned out it was a full on minor hockey tournament, so we lucked out. But we got to sit in the stands, eat popcorn and watch kids play hockey for free. She loved it.

And she loved the zamboni more.

Old
10-18-2012, 01:25 AM
bazaaa*

Thanks again.
The popcorn and zamboni are great ideas, we'll definitely do that. My gf actually brought him to watch my cousin's son play tonight. We're going to go skating Saturday night. Can't wait.

Old
10-18-2012, 06:49 AM
Hooah4

had my son skating @ 3. Got him some bob skates just to learn how to shuffle around, then a pair of those Bauer tyke molded skates to get used to the single blade. Bike helmet, elbow and knee pads the whole way. Ice is hard no matter how old you are.

Hooah4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2012, 07:09 AM
Stickchecked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooah4 View Post
had my son skating @ 3. Got him some bob skates just to learn how to shuffle around, then a pair of those Bauer tyke molded skates to get used to the single blade. Bike helmet, elbow and knee pads the whole way. Ice is hard no matter how old you are.
Agreed. I dismissed the need for knee pads because I expect that the OP will have to be holding up his kid the entire time.

But yea, once they start standing/skating on their own, padding makes sense.

Old
10-18-2012, 10:02 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Well just like anything else it's all about having fun. I think 15-20 minutes is the MAX that you'd be able to be on the ice. My kid couldn't get on skates last year except once but mostly I held him while skating around. Just something fun. This year will be a pair of skates that fit well (snug) and more of the same.

If he feels brave enough, push a chair around on the ice. He has a hockey helmet but will probably need elbow/knee pads.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2012, 11:10 AM
Slats432

If I could give two words of advice it would be "skating lessons". It is too easy for the kids to not learn the basics by getting tired/frustrated and sending that over to the parents.

A group setting with a bunch of other kids and qualified instructors will help tons.

Slats432 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2012, 11:53 AM
bazaaa*

Thanks for the advice.
The skating lessons I'm iffy about. That's how I started out, and I absolutely hated it, which is why I dropped it all together, and never played hockey until later on in life. One of my biggest regrets in life, though obviously it wasn't something I could really control at the time.
Though I wouldn't be surprised if skating lessons are completely changed now, and the kids actually enjoy it. Back then it was meant as a lesson and not fun, I'm guessing they try to make it funner now.

Old
10-18-2012, 11:54 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

For a toddler though?

My kid isn't old enough to know when he might benefit from lessons. Still way too young at 3 and a half. Maybe when he's 5 he'd have the attention span...

Old
10-18-2012, 01:26 PM
bazaaa*

Touche. That's a good point.
I don't remember how old I was. Old enough that I remember it, so I'm guessing I was 4-5ish.

Well we'll see how the first few times go.

Old
10-18-2012, 02:21 PM
redbranch

It also depends on how good the teacher is with little kids. Just because you know how to skate doesn't mean you know how to handle little kids. Throw a high school english teacher into kindergarten and see how they do.

My son started taking lessons when he was just turning 5. It went so-so. Then he got a new teacher, who not only taught him very well, but made him LOVE coming to learn to skate. fast forward two years, and even though my son is easily the biggest kid on his team, he's also the best skater. Largely thanks to a very good learn to skate teacher

redbranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2012, 02:42 PM
Stickchecked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
For a toddler though?

My kid isn't old enough to know when he might benefit from lessons. Still way too young at 3 and a half. Maybe when he's 5 he'd have the attention span...
THIS. Something I've repeatedly said about Jarick's comments.

At 2, 3, get yourself to the rink and spend time with you kid. The goal isn't to become a proficient skater, the goal is to make an ice rink a place to have fun.

And the kid in question is 2.

Old
10-18-2012, 05:43 PM
LateNightOilerFan

Re lessons - is there a parent/child program somewhere near you? In my area it's called the "Boots to Blades" program but alot of community rec programs have some sort of parent and tot program - introduces a teacher but still has the security of a parent(s) and it's something you can do together. Ours only starts at age 3 though, but some may include 2 year olds. Focus is on using games/music to get the kids comfortable with standing & walking on the ice and also getting up from a fall.

Also, re taping the skates, I never did with my kids. Just made sure they were decent quality skates (even if we bought them used - because skates in those sizes aren't usually in bad shape if you are the 2nd/3rd owner since kids grow out of them so fast), and tied tight enough.

Have fun!

LateNightOilerFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2012, 07:36 PM
bazaaa*

Thanks, I'll look into programs.
Just going to try and make it as fun as I can for him for now.

Old
10-19-2012, 08:54 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Yep it's just something fun to do with the kid. It's kind of like taking him fishing at this age, it's not so much to fish or get better at fishing but something fun you can do together. I'm guessing when he gets older that he will want to have that fun but then can build the skills...

Old
10-19-2012, 09:58 AM
Hooah4

my son had more fun just being out there with me than anything. I still have pictures of it today in my office. Just be careful holding them up.....I still remember the back strain I felt the next day. Plus holding them by the hands..if they fall hard and you hold on hard you can dislocate their ulna (called nursemaid's elbow). Happened once to us.

Hooah4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2012, 11:09 AM
redman

Quote:
Originally Posted by bazaaa View Post
Hello
My kid just turned two and we're going to put him on the ice this winter.
When I played hockey (I started late and wasn't very good!), I would tape around the top of the skate, which I liked for support, and never got out of that. Though almost every other single person doesn't do that.

My question is, as a toddler, who will probably have problems with his ankles wobbling in the skates, should I tape the top of the skates so he has more ankle support?
tape around the waist and legs of the diaper, if he has a load in his drawers and falls it will a chunky mess splattered on the ice.

redman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2012, 03:32 PM
bazaaa*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooah4 View Post
my son had more fun just being out there with me than anything. I still have pictures of it today in my office. Just be careful holding them up.....I still remember the back strain I felt the next day. Plus holding them by the hands..if they fall hard and you hold on hard you can dislocate their ulna (called nursemaid's elbow). Happened once to us.
Ugh, I have the body of a 60 year old already, not looking forward to the back pain lol

Old
10-19-2012, 03:37 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Yeah, skating with a squirming thirty pound weight isn't easy!

Old
10-20-2012, 09:38 PM
bazaaa*

Well I wasn't expecting much, and didn't get much out of it lol. I put him down, and after his feet were slipping out two seconds later he wanted to be picked up and wanted to go. I skated around the rink a couple times. ANd he didn't want to put his feet down again. Then we got off, which I didn't mind. It was my first time on ice in ten years, and my skates were killing me lol. And I couldn't believe how shaky I was, but I guess ten years is a long time to be off the ice!

Then we got popcorn and sat in the stands and he really liked that. He liked watching all the kids skating. It was probably a bit overwhelming getting in the rink and skating. I couldn't believe how busy it was, though they did have a blue line sectioned off for kids, which is nice.
Watched the zamboni, but surprisingly wasn't too excited for it.
Was good for him to sit and the stands and watch other kids skate too I think.

Overall was good experience for him, I just wish he could have tried standing a bit more his first time.

Old
10-21-2012, 08:57 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Exactly what happened with my two year old. Good start though I think.

Old
10-21-2012, 09:14 AM
Propane Nightmares
Dearly Beloved

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickchecked View Post
No one should complain about a stroller. It can be fun taking the turns with it, just be aware that it can tip over pretty easily if you lean on it.
I've never seen someone on the ice with a stroller but I've seen plenty of people being pushed around in wheelchairs, so I don't see why a stroller would be a problem.

Propane Nightmares is online now   Reply With Quote