HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Notices

NHL expansion plans

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-16-2012, 02:26 PM
  #26
lorwood
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 1,239
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan-o16 View Post
Leverage? Leverage against who? Who cares? Face it. Pols won't care unless people do, and people don't. That's the element I think you've completely missed.

If the Isles are going to work in Brooklyn, it's because someone has a plan to make it work in a new way with new people. The Islanders as the Islanders, with the fan base it had, in Nassau County, is mostly dead. And Al D'Amato ain't no Miracle Max.

Cheers,

Dan-o
That is hitting the proverbial nail on the head.

What little cache the NYI have (and it probably is non existent at this point) can quickly be dismissed by a developer with a good plan even if it leaves the Islanders out.

If the HUB development includes elements that bring good full time real jobs (especially in manufacturing and research) the people of Nassau will run the team out on a rail.

The team has been talking about leaving for years and all I hear is a great big yawn.

lorwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2012, 03:52 PM
  #27
CREW99AW
Registered User
 
CREW99AW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 27,156
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorwood View Post
That is hitting the proverbial nail on the head.

What little cache the NYI have (and it probably is non existent at this point) can quickly be dismissed by a developer with a good plan even if it leaves the Islanders out.

If the HUB development includes elements that bring good full time real jobs (especially in manufacturing and research) the people of Nassau will run the team out on a rail.

The team has been talking about leaving for years and all I hear is a great big yawn.
So the nimby crowd which fights against any kind of major development in the County, is going to step aside for this major development, which will bring real jobs?

CREW99AW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2012, 08:43 AM
  #28
lorwood
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 1,239
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post
So the nimby crowd which fights against any kind of major development in the County, is going to step aside for this major development, which will bring real jobs?
What the NIMBY crowd fights is high density housing, more retail, and skyscrapers they also fight against publicly funded arenas.

Not that this can happen in Nassau because lets face it Nassau pols are either to stupid or to lazy but, if through tax and energy incentives a developer can build manufacturing and or research and development facilities for either a large or multiple mid sized companies which would bring jobs that are not retail and or minimum wage (real jobs that pay benefits and pay enough to contribute to the Nassau economy in meaningful ways) the Islanders would not be missed.

This idea that the only use for the HUB that will bring in revenue is a hockey arena is simply false and short sighted.

The HUB is exactly what it is, a huge blank slate in the center of Nassau county.

lorwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2012, 09:42 AM
  #29
88th Precinct
Pitchfork Acquired
 
88th Precinct's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Location
Country: Spain
Posts: 3,496
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve55 View Post
I REALLY hope the NHL actually moves Phoenix to Seattle and Columbus to Quebec. Less damage to the league.
As much as I agree, part of me likes a 32-team league, and the first thing that'll happen after such a move is about 6 or 7 teams complaining one way or another, making a sensible divisional realignment impossible.

The NHLPA blocked realignment once. It may be a little 'back burner' compared to other goings-on in the meetings, but it's something that will require a resolution. At least three divisions are going to get jumbled - the Northwest gains a team and something in the Central or Atlantic gets moved to fill the gap. Philly and Pittsburgh are mutually unwilling to be separated and too many consider it sacrilege to put New Jersey
in the Southeast, as Detroit, Columbus (if they stay in Columbus) and maybe Nashville have a catfight over who gets to join the Eastern Conference.

Too many parties have a willingness to be hard-liners in these negotiations.

88th Precinct is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2012, 08:18 PM
  #30
KevFu
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: New Orleans
Country: United States
Posts: 3,516
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott99 View Post
All we need is 1,000,000 Isle's fans putting up $200 each, and then we can buy the Isles, and for another $40 each, we can build the new arena.
Oddly enough, that's been done in English soccer multiple times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caustic Acrostic View Post
As much as I agree, part of me likes a 32-team league, and the first thing that'll happen after such a move is about 6 or 7 teams complaining one way or another, making a sensible divisional realignment impossible.

The NHLPA blocked realignment once. It may be a little 'back burner' compared to other goings-on in the meetings, but it's something that will require a resolution. At least three divisions are going to get jumbled - the Northwest gains a team and something in the Central or Atlantic gets moved to fill the gap. Philly and Pittsburgh are mutually unwilling to be separated and too many consider it sacrilege to put New Jersey
in the Southeast, as Detroit, Columbus (if they stay in Columbus) and maybe Nashville have a catfight over who gets to join the Eastern Conference.

Too many parties have a willingness to be hard-liners in these negotiations.
Well, CBJ just renegotiated their lease. That should help them, but it also means they can't be moved.

32 teams could solve a lot of issues, if they were the RIGHT new teams. The problem is, Quebec's in the East, so someone from the ETZ has to stay West.

The real solution (put on your tin foil hats) would be this:
For starters, the THN tweet could be a very solid lead, if the NHL worked a waiver of territorial rights into the agreement for sale of the Leafs. Rogers/Bell just bought 74% of the Leafs, the NHL has to approve the sale. The NHL can basically say "Abandon your rights to a Hamilton team, and the rights to Toronto Area to EACH OTHER or we don't approve the sale."

Everyone knows the Rogers/Bell marriage isn't gonna last. So you give yourself an out: Once they want a divorce, one keeps the Leafs the other gets an expansion team in the Toronto Area. But for now, you pull an MLB move (they made Houston moving to the AL West a condition of the Astros sale).

That allows you to add QUE and HAM to the league for 32. Doesn't solve our East-West problem. However, you can align into your four divisions set up (the one the NHLPA vetoed on principle, but really didn't have a problem with).

QUE joins the Northeast, CBJ joins the Atlantic (so they're with PIT)
DET remains unhappy in the West. Hamilton takes what they can get in the West.

Then, when Rogers-Bell splits, you add GTA2 and THREE teams in the West for 36 teams. You'd still have a 19-17 East-West unbalance, but you tell Hamilton "shut up, you were in the West of the AHL!" And they won't be too upset with it. You'd have to go back to six divisions.

East is set: MON, OTT, QUE, BUF, TOR, GTA2 -- BOS, NYR, NYI, NJ, PHI, PIT -- WAS, CAR, TB, FLA, DET, CBJ
West has options:

VAN, Seattle, EDM, CAL, COL, Salt Lake
SJ, ANA, LA, PHX, DAL, Houston
WIN, MIN, CHI, STL, NASH, Hamilton

VAN, SEA, EDM, CAL, WIN, HAM
MIN, CHI, STL, NASH, DAL, HOU
SJ, ANA, LA, PHX, COL, SLC

VAN, SEA, SJ, LA, ANA, PHX
EDM, CAL, COL, SLC, MIN, WIN
CHI, STL, NASH, HAM, DAL, HOU

VAN, SEA, SJ, LA, ANA, PHX
EDM, CAL, COL, SLC, DAL, HOU
MIN, WIN, CHI, STL, NASH, HAM

KevFu is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:13 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.