HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Hawks & others to play charity game @ Allstate

Old
10-17-2012, 08:20 PM
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkaholic View Post
Seriously? Trashing players for making a chairty game????
Oh how the Chicago board has fallen.
It's not like the bar was ever that high to begin with..

It's a charity game people. No matter the "politics" that may be involved, they're still raising alot of money for charity, to help people. To call it "disgraceful" is, actually, disgraceful.

The big question here though, that nobdy seems to be asking.. is.. will Buff be playing with Toews and Kane or on D? From what I've heard, it's going to be the 2010 Cup team (for the most part) vs. the "World"; including, potentially, Sid "the young man" Crosby.

HockeySensible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2012, 08:27 PM
MagicSlap*

The way Buff has looked lately he'll be playing lead snack bar taste tester

MagicSlap* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2012, 08:33 PM
Ilrider

Got our tickets. This was a pleasant surprise that will tide me over until the NHL returns. Great lineup, and I don't mind my money going toward such a great charity one bit. Should be a fun night.

Ilrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2012, 10:05 PM
Cullksinikers

Man, if it were $100, I would pay for the meet-and-greet. I am not coughing up $500.

Cullksinikers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2012, 10:26 PM
IU Hawks fan
They call me 'IU'

vCash: 772
And that's why it's not $100. Supply/Demand bud

IU Hawks fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2012, 10:34 PM
Cullksinikers

Quote:
Originally Posted by IU Hawks fan View Post
And that's why it's not $100. Supply/Demand bud
Oh, I know, and I'd consider the $500 if it meant meeting Malkin, Ovechkin, Crosby, etc. I have met Soupy, Versteeg, Toews, and Kane privately before, so it's not really worth it for me. Plus, I bet they would think I was a rich, snotty kid (I am neither) if I did it. I like meeting players randomly or after practices.

Hey, I met Lionel Messi in a pool on vacation, and I am sure plenty of people in the world would pay $500 to meet him.

Old
10-18-2012, 06:29 PM
DisgruntledHawkFan

Send a message via ICQ to DisgruntledHawkFan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup View Post
Nothing but NHLPA ploy to sway public opinion towards players

Disgraceful to see from Mr Toews
This is tongue in cheek... right?

DisgruntledHawkFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2012, 06:31 PM
DisgruntledHawkFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeydoug View Post
Motives for high profile charity event should always be questioned. I haven't trashed anybody for this one yet, but I wouldn't be shocked for a second if it's used for the players' PR as much or more than the charity itself. Given Toews' recent comments, I don't think we should dismiss BWC's opinion so quickly. He may be right.
So when Campbell was holding his annual charity poker tournament here in Chicago - with the rest of the team and coaching staff involved - was it a preemptive strike? Those devious strategists!

Old
10-18-2012, 06:33 PM
DisgruntledHawkFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cullksinikers View Post
Oh, I know, and I'd consider the $500 if it meant meeting Malkin, Ovechkin, Crosby, etc. I have met Soupy, Versteeg, Toews, and Kane privately before, so it's not really worth it for me. Plus, I bet they would think I was a rich, snotty kid (I am neither) if I did it. I like meeting players randomly or after practices.

Hey, I met Lionel Messi in a pool on vacation, and I am sure plenty of people in the world would pay $500 to meet him.
Messi is 100x the star anybody in the NHL is. People would probably pay that amount just for an autograph.

Old
10-18-2012, 07:12 PM
Cullksinikers

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisgruntledHawkFan View Post
Messi is 100x the star anybody in the NHL is. People would probably pay that amount just for an autograph.
Without a doubt. Probably the most popular athlete in the world as far as number of people that idolize him.

I was at a normal resort in Mexico. It was a nice place, but this resort wasn't some outrageously private and top-of-the-line place. Great place, but I can't believe out of all places to go with all the money he has, he went to a place where ordinary people like myself could afford to go. Hey, I'm glad he did.

Old
10-18-2012, 11:43 PM
hockeydoug

Quote:
So when Campbell was holding his annual charity poker tournament here in Chicago - with the rest of the team and coaching staff involved - was it a preemptive strike? Those devious strategists!
I'm not talking about sinister ploys. I'm talking about wasted events and charities where the players benefit more than the charities.

Funny you should mention Campbell's charity event, the poker tournament. The financial rating for Autism speaks is terrible with most money going to administration (like most charities) and very very little going to help fight autism. Read the glowing some glowing reviews and general info about the charity here.
I think Campbell had good intentions but he probably did more good for himself and his image compared to how he helped the charity out. No sinister ploy, just a crap charity where he and the charity get plugged and almost no one gets helped out from the funds raised.

Here's an example of a charity the league was pushing I remember from a few years ago. I was able to find it on charity navigator:

Garth Brook's teammates for kids charity. The NHL including players, franchises, etc. got to tout how they were helping out. Almost nothing from the league's fundraising helped, but they got some nice press from it after the league and players donated millions in waste while patting themselves on the back.
http://www.charitynavigator.org/inde...ary&orgid=7362

http://www.nhl.com/nhlhq/community/t4kids.html

Congrats NHL and 200 players. You flushed millions down the toilet on that one.

The motives for these events and any involved charity should always be questioned and scrutinized if it will impact their perception of a player or organization.

As it happens, the Ronald McDonald house is an excellent charity in my opinion. The only question will be how much money is raised after expenses, which is seldom accurate. I have no reason to suspect this event is anything more than a good time for a legitimate cause. Given the recent events and comments by one of the key participants, I think it's fair for anybody to view the motives for this event with skepticism and cynicism. Many of these events are set up without taking into account how and when (with how much) the people/victims/patients/whatever will benefit.

hockeydoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2012, 12:58 AM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!

I find the dynamic of this interesting - for Toew/Kane in particular to characterize 2010 (and those players) as their best moments. I'm not saying it's not true - but it's weird for the captain of a team (who's been tossed out 1st rd two years in a row) to be so appreciative of the former line-up.

UsernameWasTaken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2012, 07:32 AM
DisgruntledHawkFan

If I'm reading that correctly 32 cents of every dollar raised went to actually fighting autism? While I certainly agree that number isn't as high as it should be, it's hard from the scam or hack charities a number of them actually are. Operating expenses is kind've a vague term, is that money going to people or as everyday office expenses on things like computers, office rent, etc.?

Old
10-19-2012, 09:36 AM
hockeydoug

Quote:
If I'm reading that correctly 32 cents of every dollar raised went to actually fighting autism? While I certainly agree that number isn't as high as it should be, it's hard from the scam or hack charities a number of them actually are. Operating expenses is kind've a vague term, is that money going to people or as everyday office expenses on things like computers, office rent, etc.?
From my understanding, the end number was much lower a couple years ago, but I can't confirm that right now, so we'll stick with 32 cents. That number still puts it in the "hack" charity group. If Campbell knew that only 32 cents (I believe the real number was much lower) was going to help when there were dozens of autism charities, many in the same region, that ran much better with much better fund utilization, why wouldn't he have picked one of those? Like I said, I'm sure his intentions were good, maybe a little naive or misguided though, and that's why these things should be approached with skepticism if it's going to influence the perception of a player. People's perception is influenced when they hear the word "charity", and I think it's usually influenced far more than is justified. For the record, I really like Campbell as an individual, but I wish he paid more attention when he promotes a charity.

My point is that players "help" a charity without really paying attention because they look good, feel good, and everybody gives out high fives and good vibes. There are lots of players like a Danny Briere (maybe Burish in this case?) that actually pay attention to what happens with the money and follows up with the charity without promoting themselves but those players are more the exception than the rule.

Old
10-19-2012, 09:53 AM
DisgruntledHawkFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeydoug View Post
From my understanding, the end number was much lower a couple years ago, but I can't confirm that right now, so we'll stick with 32 cents. That number still puts it in the "hack" charity group. If Campbell knew that only 32 cents (I believe the real number was much lower) was going to help when there were dozens of autism charities, many in the same region, that ran much better with much better fund utilization, why wouldn't he have picked one of those? Like I said, I'm sure his intentions were good, maybe a little naive or misguided though, and that's why these things should be approached with skepticism if it's going to influence the perception of a player. People's perception is influenced when they hear the word "charity", and I think it's usually influenced far more than is justified. For the record, I really like Campbell as an individual, but I wish he paid more attention when he promotes a charity.

My point is that players "help" a charity without really paying attention because they look good, feel good, and everybody gives out high fives and good vibes. There are lots of players like a Danny Briere (maybe Burish in this case?) that actually pay attention to what happens with the money and follows up with the charity without promoting themselves but those players are more the exception than the rule.
I've got no problem with any of that. Maybe the bit about scam or hack charities, many of which give considerably less then 32 cents on the dollar to those who need that money, but for the rest you and I are in agreement. My post was simply to those that dismissed this event offhand as a pure publicity stunt and took it as an opportunity to bash the players.

Old
10-19-2012, 09:56 AM
ChiGuySez
Showtime

Just b/c only .32 (if that is the correct number) is sent to the charity, I think labeling it a "hack" charity group is a bit severe without knowing the actual costs.

Rental of the facility and whatever other associated costs Im sure isnt free and is paid out from the gate revenue.

ChiGuySez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2012, 10:00 AM
DisgruntledHawkFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGuySez View Post
Just b/c only .32 (if that is the correct number) is sent to the charity, I think labeling it a "hack" charity group is a bit severe without knowing the actual costs.

Rental of the facility and whatever other associated costs Im sure isnt free and is paid out from the gate revenue.
We were talking about autism speaks, not this event.

Old
10-19-2012, 10:31 AM
hockeydoug

Quote:
I've got no problem with any of that. Maybe the bit about scam or hack charities, many of which give considerably less then 32 cents on the dollar to those who need that money, but for the rest you and I are in agreement. My post was simply to those that dismissed this event offhand as a pure publicity stunt and took it as an opportunity to bash the players.
I think we're about on the same page.

Old
10-25-2012, 12:34 PM
hockeydoug

Jenny McCarthy and Ryan Dempster are going to be celeb coaches.

haha, I thought Burish would do a little better. Not sure anybody that doesn't hate the Cubs wants to see Dempster. I heard Ozzie Guillen has some free time know, maybe he'll make an appearance.

I hope they make a pile of cash for the charity.

Old
10-25-2012, 12:47 PM
RayP

vCash: 50
Dempster doesn't surprise me... he is always doing charity work when he isn't on the field. Not to mention he has the perfect laid back and goofball personality to do something like this. He's done a lot of work for DiGeorge Syndrome, which his daughter has.

Just me, or does Jenny McCarthy seem like a random choice?

RayP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 01:03 PM
AceintheSpace*

Whats the final roster for both teams?

Awesome cause.

AceintheSpace* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 01:06 PM
coldsteelonice84

vCash: 10592
Quote:
Originally Posted by AceintheSpace View Post
Whats the final roster for both teams?

Awesome cause.
So far, I have gathered:

Chicago Stars
Forwards
Patrick Sharp-Jonathan Toews-Patrick Kane
Andrew Ladd-Dave Bolland-Kris Versteeg
Ben Eager-John Madden-Adam Burish
Troy Brouwer-Jake Dowell-Craig Adams

Defense
Brian Campbell-James Wisniewski
Jim Vandermeer-Joe Corvo

Goaltenders
Craig Anderson
Al Montoya

The World
Forwards
Bobby Ryan-Jordan Staal-
Daniel Carcillo-Ville Leino-Antii Miettinen
Shawn Thornton-Greg Campbell-Jared Boll
Jamal Mayers-David Gilbert-Mike Brown

Defense
Ryan Suter-Kimmo Timonen
Alex Goligoski-Jack Johnson
Tom Gilbert-

Goaltenders
Niklas Backstrom

This could be it, Johnson coule play some forward or they could just go with what they've got or we could get a couple surprises.

coldsteelonice84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 01:16 PM
brtriad

Send a message via AIM to brtriad
Ladd-Bolland-Versteeg oh how I miss that line.

brtriad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2012, 01:28 PM
DisgruntledHawkFan

If Toews and Kane are playing, I'll do my best to make an appearance.

Old
10-25-2012, 01:30 PM
coldsteelonice84

vCash: 10592
This is probably Madden's last game with/against NHLers.

coldsteelonice84 is offline   Reply With Quote