HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

Luongo Thread - The Never Ending Thread (Mod Warning in OP)

Closed Thread

Old
10-17-2012, 09:01 PM
me2
Seahawks 43

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cocoa Crisp View Post
Let's say that Lu were to retire in say, 4 years and the team is off the hook for the remainder of his salary. But he'd still be a 5.25M caphit. Since caphit is tied to revenue, how would it be calculated going forwards when a not insignificant chunk of it (from retired players) is tied up in an empty placeholder rather than real payroll? And the corollary to that, would that mean your above example no longer square with accounting of league revenue?
Deadspace is unrelated to how much the rest of the players take home - that's factored off 50% HRR. Add up all the players real $ paid then compare that to 50% HRR, if it is higher the players effectively lose money (real world lower salary) and if players got less real world $ than 50% HRR then the league has to pay them extra real $ to get it up to 50%. Cap space is basically irrelevant to the final real $ calculations.

Extreme example.
a. cap $60m and floor is $40m
b. 50% HRR is $1500m ($50m per team)
c. Every teams has a bunch of retired contracts eating up $20m with dead space
d. Every team has spent to the cap $40m salary + 20m dead space = $60m and the players are $10m short of 50% HRR

The downside - with all that dead space it would hurt FAs in negotiating bigger deals.

The upside - At the end of the year, the players would get 25% more ($40m + $10m) to bring them to $50m as per 50% HRR.

Like wise if every team spent $60m in real dollars the the players would have to give back $10m.

It all equals out. Capspace is more of a team issue than a player issue.

Old
10-17-2012, 09:04 PM
LiquidSnake
Agent of Chaos...

vCash: 883
I don't think the PA is going to agree to this deal anyways. Especially the cap hit tht sticks after a player retires with the team he signed it with. Just takes that much more money away from another available roster spot.

Old
10-17-2012, 09:13 PM
Scurr

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by me2 View Post
It all equals out. Capspace is more of a team issue than a player issue.
Yes and no. Lately, there has been a ton of cap space available so if you can't get your deal with one team you can find it with another. A lot of that has to do with teams needing to spend to the floor that probably don't even want to. If the cap and team budgets get tight, some players are going to be left out or signing well bellow their pay grade, cutting their piece of the pie.

Old
10-17-2012, 11:29 PM
canucks52

apparantley John Shannon was on sportsnet and he believes the Canucks and leafs already have a deal in place and are just waiting for the CBA resolution. Saw it on Brad ziemers twitter, how credible is Shannon when it comes to trades?

Old
10-17-2012, 11:34 PM
Reverend Mayhem
Freeway's closed man

vCash: 940
Send a message via Skype™ to Reverend Mayhem
Quote:
Originally Posted by schroeder18 View Post
apparantley John Shannon was on sportsnet and he believes the Canucks and leafs already have a deal in place and are just waiting for the CBA resolution. Saw it on Brad ziemers twitter, how credible is Shannon when it comes to trades?
not very, not sure could be wrong.

Old
10-17-2012, 11:42 PM
WonderTwinsUnite

Imagine if we got Rielly for Lu. I'm aware that it's never gonna happen, but God, the outbursts of murderous rage from the Leafs faithful on here would be sweeter than the deal itself

Old
10-17-2012, 11:44 PM
Reverend Mayhem
Freeway's closed man

Quote:
Originally Posted by WonderTwinsUnite View Post
Imagine if we got Rielly for Lu. I'm aware that it's never gonna happen, but God, the outbursts of murderous rage from the Leafs faithful on here would be sweeter than the deal itself
I'd take Gardiner too. Leafs seem to think they'll be unloading one of the LACK on us and giving us a prospect. I'd rather take Goc straight-up than that deal.

Old
10-17-2012, 11:47 PM
Vankiller Whale
Maybe HE can score

vCash: 5555
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend Mayhem View Post
I'd take Gardiner too. Leafs seem to think they'll be unloading one of the LACK on us and giving us a prospect. I'd rather take Goc straight-up than that deal.
Armstrong got bought out, by the way. To be honest with the addition of Rielly(Letang 2.0 imo) I could see Gardiner being expendable. I won't get my hopes up though.

Old
10-17-2012, 11:47 PM
Chubros

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend Mayhem View Post
Lupul + 2013 1st?

Old
10-17-2012, 11:52 PM
Reverend Mayhem
Freeway's closed man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chubros View Post
Lupul + 2013 1st?
We might be getting a bit ahead of ourselves here. We don't have enough info to say what we could be getting back, I think that's decent value though.

Old
10-18-2012, 12:08 AM
pahlsson

Lupul + Gardiner + 1st + Rielly

Old
10-18-2012, 12:10 AM
SunshineRays

Not sure if posted yet, but Doug McLean was on team 1040 today:

"I'm told again yesterday that Brian Burke will make an unbelievable push for Roberto Luongo when the lockouts over. And that he expects to pay a lesser price than what he would have had to pay this summer"

http://www.teamradio.ca/podcast/1040...way_Honda~.mp3

Lol. Is there some new stipulation in the CBA that states Luongo must be traded to Toronto? Is that why Burkes so certain? Man, his camp has so may leaks a plumber couldn't help him. You can bet this is all a part of his plan. I can hardly wait for Gillis to trade Luongo to Florida, and Burkes left w/ Reimer/Scrivens. Lol.

Old
10-18-2012, 12:12 AM
Vankiller Whale
Maybe HE can score

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunshineRays View Post

"I'm told again yesterday that Brian Burke will make an unbelievable push for Roberto Luongo when the lockouts over. And that he expects to pay a lesser price than what he would have had to pay this summer"

Lol. Is there some new stipulation in the CBA that states Luongo must be traded to Toronto? Is that why Burkes so certain? Man, his camp has so may leaks a plumber couldn't help him. You can bet this is all a part of his plan. I can hardly wait for Gillis to trade Luongo to Florida, and Burkes left w/ Reimer/Scrivens. Lol.
Less than at the draft day would be less than Schenn + 5th overall. It's a fair assumption, I think.

Old
10-18-2012, 12:13 AM
Vankiller Whale
Maybe HE can score

Quote:
Originally Posted by pahlsson View Post
Lupul + Gardiner + 1st + Rielly
+ JVR + Kessel + Phaneuf

for

Luongo + Raymond + Ballard + 3rd.

Old
10-18-2012, 12:20 AM
Bleach Clean

Quote:

I don't understand how an "unbelievable push" could be made with a "lesser price"?... Is Burke just going to be more insistent that Gillis take a worse package? As in just constantly call him about it?

Burke to Nonis: "I just called Gillis ten times today with a crappier offer... He's gonna break, I can feel it."

Nonis:

Old
10-18-2012, 12:53 AM
me2
Seahawks 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleach Clean View Post
I don't understand how an "unbelievable push" could be made with a "lesser price"?... Is Burke just going to be more insistent that Gillis take a worse package? As in just constantly call him about it?

Burke to Nonis: "I just called Gillis ten times today with a crappier offer... He's gonna break, I can feel it."

Nonis: You should call Tambo, his team is getting dangerously close to not competing for the 1st overall pick. I think he's open to trading RNH for Bozak to keep the streak alive

Burke: Good thoughts
imho ^

Old
10-18-2012, 01:04 AM
MikeK

vCash: 8000
Quote:

and that's probably exactly what is going to happen. Burke is going to get fired because the leafs will never be able to compete with the big teams with that duo. Does he honestly believe he can win with those two? god help TO fans.

Old
10-18-2012, 01:19 AM
JuniorNelson

These rumors out of Toronto are absurd. Suppose this were to happen. Luongo can refuse to go there. Gillis can waive him, but doesn't have the jam.

Luongo will go to a competitive team in the US.

Old
10-18-2012, 01:33 AM
Wisp

Sounds like Burkebluster.

It is its own word now.

Old
10-18-2012, 01:56 AM
Bleach Clean

Quote:
Originally Posted by me2 View Post
imho ^
LOL.

Bozak for RNH. Solid offer by Burke. If he keeps insisting Tambo take it, I'm sure the deal would have to get done amirite?

Old
10-18-2012, 02:24 AM
Royal Canuck
#Shinkaruk4Calder

Time for a new thread.

Twitter |HFBoards Contact | Blog
Xbox Live Gamertag: "CxC Canuck"
"Everybody says be a good loser; I think if you're a good loser, you're a loser. " - John Tortorella
Closed Thread