HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

RW/C Ryan Strome (2011, 5th overall, Islanders)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-17-2012, 01:09 PM
  #576
seafoam
Registered User
 
seafoam's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 35,095
vCash: 50
Bump, has anyone been watching him lately? He isn't lighting up the scoresheet in his fourth year in the OHL but he is playing on a bad IceDogs team. Does he still have what it takes to be an top six foward in the NHL one day?

seafoam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2012, 01:34 PM
  #577
CREW99AW
Registered User
 
CREW99AW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 28,853
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by seafoam View Post
Bump, has anyone been watching him lately? He isn't lighting up the scoresheet in his fourth year in the OHL but he is playing on a bad IceDogs team. Does he still have what it takes to be an top six foward in the NHL one day?
I gotta ask, wouldn't it make more sense to find someone with real knowledge like Pronman, tweet your question to him?

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2012, 01:40 PM
  #578
1972
Registered User
 
1972's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,013
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by seafoam View Post
Bump, has anyone been watching him lately? He isn't lighting up the scoresheet in his fourth year in the OHL but he is playing on a bad IceDogs team. Does he still have what it takes to be an top six foward in the NHL one day?
He is rounding out his complete game, focusing more on his own zone and play away from the puck. He still has the potential to be a 1st line foward in the NHL. I think he could use the entire year in junior and make the jump next year.

1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2012, 01:41 PM
  #579
1972
Registered User
 
1972's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,013
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post
I gotta ask, wouldn't it make more sense to find someone with real knowledge like Pronman, tweet your question to him?
There are quite a few Ice Dogs season ticket holders who watch him play alot more than Pronman, he seems to just look at the stat sheet for some players.

1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2012, 01:53 PM
  #580
CREW99AW
Registered User
 
CREW99AW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 28,853
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1972 View Post
There are quite a few Ice Dogs season ticket holders who watch him play alot more than Pronman, he seems to just look at the stat sheet for some players.


It doesn't have to be Pronman. Any credible scout or prospect site, that's having a fan chat or taking tweeted questions, should be able to answer prospect questions.

Btw Pronman wrote comments similar to yours, about Strome, a few months ago: Strome was " concentrating on addressing his off-puck play, showing much better defensive play, and more willingness to dig out pucks in defensive-end board battles and to pressure opponents on the forecheck".

Ask armchair scouts and you'll get a half dozen different answers;

Yeah, he'll be a stud.
He'll be a bust, I never liked the pick.
He'll be a 2nd/3rd line tweener.
He'll be a pp specialist.
He should be more dominate.

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2012, 02:08 PM
  #581
1972
Registered User
 
1972's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,013
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post
It doesn't have to be Pronman. Any credible scout or prospect site, that's having a fan chat or taking tweeted questions, should be able to answer prospect questions.

Btw Pronman wrote comments similar to yours, about Strome, a few months ago: Strome was " concentrating on addressing his off-puck play, showing much better defensive play, and more willingness to dig out pucks in defensive-end board battles and to pressure opponents on the forecheck".

Ask armchair scouts and you'll get a half dozen different answers;

Yeah, he'll be a stud.
He'll be a bust, I never liked the pick.
He'll be a 2nd/3rd line tweener.
He'll be a pp specialist.
He should be more dominate.
I have seasons so I have watched him about 50 times over the last 2.5 years. He has really focused on his play away from the puck this year, we all know that he has elite offensive skills and that the points will happen so I wouldnt really worry about his point totals, sometimes trys to do to much with the puck.

I agree with you though, you will get alot of different opinions from posters who do not watch them play, kinda like if i were to give an opinion on Lindholm or de la Rose.

1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2012, 08:42 PM
  #582
CREW99AW
Registered User
 
CREW99AW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 28,853
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1972 View Post
I have seasons so I have watched him about 50 times over the last 2.5 years. He has really focused on his play away from the puck this year, we all know that he has elite offensive skills and that the points will happen so I wouldnt really worry about his point totals, sometimes trys to do to much with the puck.

I agree with you though, you will get alot of different opinions from posters who do not watch them play, kinda like if i were to give an opinion on Lindholm or de la Rose.
I know there was some speculation in the press, about 19 yr olds beng allowed to play in the AHL this season, but I'm glad that idea fell through and Strome went back to juniors.

Bridgeport's very crowded with young forwards(Nino, Kabanov, Nelson, Cizikas, Sundstrom, Ullstrom).

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2012, 09:02 PM
  #583
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks
 
TheJuxtaposer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: San Diego, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 26,392
vCash: 567
This season will be a huge opportunity for Strome to play harder defensive minutes and round out that aspect of his game. Last season Freddie Hamilton took on the toughs for Niagara, this year (I assume) Strome will have to take that on. So forgive him if he doesn't have humongous offensive production.

TheJuxtaposer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2012, 09:51 PM
  #584
Jason MacIsaac
MARS Officer
 
Jason MacIsaac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Victoria, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,462
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Jason MacIsaac Send a message via Yahoo to Jason MacIsaac
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJuxtaposer View Post
This season will be a huge opportunity for Strome to play harder defensive minutes and round out that aspect of his game. Last season Freddie Hamilton took on the toughs for Niagara, this year (I assume) Strome will have to take that on. So forgive him if he doesn't have humongous offensive production.
You mean there are actually people who track the type of minutes a player gets at the junior level. Completely overlooked by most scouts I have talked to.

Jason MacIsaac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2012, 09:59 PM
  #585
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks
 
TheJuxtaposer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: San Diego, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 26,392
vCash: 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason MacIsaac View Post
You mean there are actually people who track the type of minutes a player gets at the junior level. Completely overlooked by most scouts I have talked to.
They don't. I haven't watched Niagara games personally, but here's the post I gathered the idea from.


Quote:
Originally Posted by David Thicke View Post
I know what you are saying about Hamilton but what I was trying to point out is that he will be at worst a good third line centerman. He finished 8th in scoring in the OHL for the regular season and third in the OHL playoffs while shuting down the oppositions best forward line all year. Ryan Strome (NYI) played against the opposition's second or third line instead and finished thirty-third in the regular season and fifth in the OHL playoffs on the same Niagara Ice Dogs team.

You need to look at the whole picture of what the player's roles are on his team, what place his team is in and what league he's playing in. There are a lot of factors to how a prospect will perform at each level and stats tell a little of the story but can also be misleading at times if you don't take everything into consideration. Hamilton's numbers improved from last by about only three points but he played less games and in the WJC for Canada. His role on the team this past season changed to a more defensive shutdown role which he was also able to bring the same or better offensive output. So Hamilton's overall game became far better than if he had just played the offensive role and put up bigger offensive stats.

You see what I am saying about his potential as an NHL player, it's more as the second line centerman who plays against the opposition's top forward line every night. He could be the top offensive line center as well but it's the two-way game which gives the coach the multiple options with Hamilton. NHL coaches love players who can do both equally well and play all the specialty teams. It's what make Pavelski so valuable to the Sharks now and Hamilton will be like that in the future if his development keeps up at the same pace.
David is a Hockey's Future staff, and he wrote our prospect writeup, so I figure he watches more than most.

TheJuxtaposer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2012, 10:30 PM
  #586
maplehawk
HFB Partner
 
maplehawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: The Rink
Posts: 2,086
vCash: 500
im confused...why are we concerned about strome again? he's got 14 pts in 11 games and is leading his team offensively...

maplehawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2012, 08:19 AM
  #587
Dan-o16
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 7,261
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by maplehawk View Post
im confused...why are we concerned about strome again? he's got 14 pts in 11 games and is leading his team offensively...
Because Strome is that kind of prospect who isn't physically impressive. And rightly or wrongly, that kind of prospect always receives additional scrutiny.

Cheers,

Dan-o

Dan-o16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2012, 09:52 AM
  #588
Jason MacIsaac
MARS Officer
 
Jason MacIsaac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Victoria, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,462
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Jason MacIsaac Send a message via Yahoo to Jason MacIsaac
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJuxtaposer View Post
They don't. I haven't watched Niagara games personally, but here's the post I gathered the idea from.




David is a Hockey's Future staff, and he wrote our prospect writeup, so I figure he watches more than most.
See, I took full notice if players were out against 3rd line or if they got all offensive zone faceoffs. I don't judge what their offensive potential is, I judge what roles and situations they will be able to play at the next level.

Jason MacIsaac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2012, 09:55 AM
  #589
maplehawk
HFB Partner
 
maplehawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: The Rink
Posts: 2,086
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan-o16 View Post
Because Strome is that kind of prospect who isn't physically impressive. And rightly or wrongly, that kind of prospect always receives additional scrutiny.

Cheers,

Dan-o
he's listed as 6'1 and not under 182 lbs on any reputable site. the OHL site has him at 6'1 192...i have a feeling this nitpicking has more to do with boredom.

kid is 8th overall in league scoring and suddenly there is cause for concern lol

maplehawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2012, 12:11 PM
  #590
Dan-o16
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 7,261
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by maplehawk View Post
he's listed as 6'1 and not under 182 lbs on any reputable site. the OHL site has him at 6'1 192...i have a feeling this nitpicking has more to do with boredom.

kid is 8th overall in league scoring and suddenly there is cause for concern lol
Not just size, I mean speed and strength too. Look, I don't mean to criticize Strome. People criticized Tavares for this reason. So it's not exactly a shock that Strome is criticized for the same reason.

Cheers,

Dan-o

Dan-o16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2012, 12:17 PM
  #591
DJB
Sens best prospect
 
DJB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,776
vCash: 908
To me, the last half dowzen games that I have watched Strome, he doens't appear to either be trying or caring. Not sure what's wrong with him. Too much floating as well.

DJB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2012, 07:28 PM
  #592
maplehawk
HFB Partner
 
maplehawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: The Rink
Posts: 2,086
vCash: 500
well if he can continue to put up 1g 1a through 2 periods, while "floating" and "not caring" then im excited to see what he can do while trying.

maplehawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2012, 09:56 PM
  #593
GuillaumeLetsundress
Formerly Pheramone
 
GuillaumeLetsundress's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 1,066
vCash: 500
yea not sure where the hate is coming from, he is 6th in OHL scoring and is +12(which is by far the best +/- in the top 20 ohl scoring aside from Jenner who is at +13) on a team that is a shell of what it was last year...


Last edited by GuillaumeLetsundress: 10-18-2012 at 10:05 PM.
GuillaumeLetsundress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2012, 09:59 PM
  #594
GuillaumeLetsundress
Formerly Pheramone
 
GuillaumeLetsundress's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 1,066
vCash: 500
big 5 pt night tonight which vaults him to first in OHL scoring, also boasting a +19 rating, second highest of all players.

GuillaumeLetsundress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2012, 10:35 PM
  #595
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks
 
TheJuxtaposer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: San Diego, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 26,392
vCash: 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pheramone View Post
big 5 pt night tonight which vaults him to first in OHL scoring, also boasting a +19 rating, second highest of all players.
Impressive. He's adjusted to taking on top defensive responsibilities, and he's still putting up top points and a great +/-.

TheJuxtaposer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2012, 10:53 PM
  #596
PWJunior
Beware the POOP!
 
PWJunior's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Watertown, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 13,452
vCash: 500
It's great to see Strome developing, he should make a very nice #2C for the Isles.

PWJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2012, 03:26 PM
  #597
GuillaumeLetsundress
Formerly Pheramone
 
GuillaumeLetsundress's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 1,066
vCash: 500
another 5 pt night (1goal 4 assists), really on fire right now and great chemistry with Brett Ritchie who himself has 11 pts in his last 2 games, including 9 goals..... playing like a Mark Stone in WJC

GuillaumeLetsundress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2012, 04:10 PM
  #598
PWJunior
Beware the POOP!
 
PWJunior's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Watertown, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 13,452
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pheramone View Post
another 5 pt night (1goal 4 assists), really on fire right now and great chemistry with Brett Ritchie who himself has 11 pts in his last 2 games, including 9 goals..... playing like a Mark Stone in WJC
Ryan Strome is absolutely on fire, that whole line is.

For those who get to watch him regularly, are the reports that he's really improved his 2-way game true? He's always been known to be an offensive whiz, but it's the other parts of his game and physical maturity that Isles fans are curious about.

Any insight would be great.

PWJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2012, 04:23 PM
  #599
Captain Awesome
Registered User
 
Captain Awesome's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Long Beach, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 4,997
vCash: 500
Hate to hijack the thread, but I was wondering how Ritchie has looked? You know, besides scoring 9 goals in 2 games.

Captain Awesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2012, 04:27 PM
  #600
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator
 
LatvianTwist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Houston
Country: Tibet
Posts: 18,083
vCash: 157
http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...d.php?t=904632

LatvianTwist is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:29 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.