Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Soccer Discuss leagues around the world and the World Cup

Canada and the 2014 World Cup

Old
10-17-2012, 12:14 PM
AndMat*

vCash: 500
Well are Future is not to bad. We got a few good prospects Lucas, Piette, Dylan Carreiro And Michael Petrasso.
The 18th of February Starts under 20 qualifiers. Something to look forward to.

AndMat* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2012, 12:37 PM
ForSpareParts*

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndMat View Post
Well are Future is not to bad. We got a few good prospects Lucas, Piette, Dylan Carreiro And Michael Petrasso.
The 18th of February Starts under 20 qualifiers. Something to look forward to.
After yesterday it's really hard to imagine that any of them amount to anything.

ForSpareParts* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2012, 12:48 PM
IHaveNoCreativity

The sport is taking off, it's just that there's a lack of places for the kids to play when they get older...

AAA is a mess...

IHaveNoCreativity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2012, 01:01 PM
Suiteness

Quote:
Originally Posted by IHaveNoCreativity View Post
The sport is taking off, it's just that there's a lack of places for the kids to play when they get older...

AAA is a mess...
If those kids were that good to begin with, they would be snatched up by good european clubs and not Norwegian 3rd divison outfits.

Our team sucks because our talent is 5th rate.

Last edited by Suiteness: 10-17-2012 at 01:20 PM.
Suiteness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2012, 01:11 PM
ScottyHolden

I used to play higher level soccer in southern ON. And honestly, by grade 8(13/14 years old) almost all of the "best" soccer players in my region were in talks with european teams and leaving Canada. I personally never was chosen, but when I was playing soccer this was everyones goal. You could continue up the rungs in Canadian soccer, but you kind of knew that eventually one year, you would just be done.

Canada has alot of very good soccer players because we are a melting pot country, but it really does feel like our soccer program is very bare bones.

ScottyHolden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2012, 01:50 PM
Soliloquy of a Dogge
part of the problem

vCash: 50
Canada should be embarrassed.

Soliloquy of a Dogge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2012, 02:34 PM
Edo
The Mightiest Club

I was more upset after the game in Panama where the players showed zero effort considering the circumstances. It was the first time I watched a full 90 minute men's NT game and it was pathetic. If you can't beat Panama, or Honduras, you don't deserve to get a sniff of the WC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottyHolden
Canada has alot of very good soccer players because we are a melting pot country, but it really does feel like our soccer program is very bare bones.
It's similar to Switzerland, Luxembourg, Sweden, etc, in Europe. Lot of these displaced families and kids with dual citizenships will always play with the country of their heritage. It's just what it is. But any Canadian who goes abroad and chooses to play for that adopted country, is a ******.

Edo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2012, 02:36 PM
Jonimaus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edonator View Post
I was more upset after the game in Panama where the players showed zero effort considering the circumstances. It was the first time I watched a full 90 minute men's NT game and it was pathetic. If you can't beat Panama, or Honduras, you don't deserve to get a sniff of the WC.

It's similar to Switzerland, Luxembourg, Sweden, etc, in Europe. Lot of these displaced families and kids with dual citizenships will always play with the country of their heritage. It's just what it is. But any Canadian who goes abroad and chooses to play for that adopted country, is a ******.
Sweden has not really lost any real talent to their families heritage countries. (I hope I understood your post right).

Jonimaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2012, 05:20 PM
Luiginho
Captain Saku

An article with quotes from Gerba and Occean giving their opinion about canadian soccer. Both are pretty harsh towards the CSA.

http://www.rds.ca/soccer/chroniques/349648.html

Luiginho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2012, 06:58 PM
The Russian General
Go Habs Go

Gerba lol... Dude couldn't stay fit to save his life. Which is sad because he is one of the best pure goal scorers that Canada ever produced. He had MLS talent but failed because he is a headcase and is never fit.

We lack quality both off and on the field, plain and simple. The players are always whining about the CSA, who is a terrible federation, but it's not the CSA who puts is wide every chance they get... (I'm looking at you Occéan).

Plus, he says there was a starter in Honduras who was not playing with any club at the moment. Who is he? I looked and they all play. :/

The Russian General is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2012, 07:06 PM
Basement Cat
Frank Drebin

I have read so many comments like "How the **** could you lose to Honduras" or others of that ilk that **** on Honduras. Honduras is not a bad team at all, especially at home. I wouldn't put my money on teams outside of the top 25/30 or so in the world getting a win in Honduras.

Basement Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2012, 07:12 PM
The Russian General
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basement Cat View Post
I have read so many comments like "How the **** could you lose to Honduras" or others of that ilk that **** on Honduras. Honduras is not a bad team at all, especially at home. I wouldn't put my money on teams outside of the top 25/30 or so in the world getting a win in Honduras.
Yes, it is quite ignorant to consider Honduras weak. They went to the World Cup last time and were the best team in our group.

The Russian General is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2012, 07:23 PM
Suiteness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitaine Gionta View Post
Yes, it is quite ignorant to consider Honduras weak. They went to the World Cup last time and were the best team in our group.
And, to put things in perspective, Honduras was one of the worst teams in the last World Cup, and that generation was better than the current one. Considering the pounding they just gave to Canada makes you realize how much of joke Canada is in the grand scheme of things.

Old
10-17-2012, 07:31 PM
GarretJoseph*

Very disappointment result. To lose was one thing but to lose like that was disappointing and embarrassing. I've always taken an interest in the mens senior team after watching them make a serious run in the gold cup a few years back, during that run they played beautiful football so I've found myself rooting for them anytime they play (except against Ireland/USA) and I had my hopes up that JDGII and Holliet would join if they got to the hex. Shame really.

GarretJoseph* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2012, 08:50 PM
DaveG
Global Moderator
How's the thesis?

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Basement Cat View Post
Not even sure I'd put it on that many teams. About 15 maybe, tops. Central America is one frigin hard place to play for a lot of teams.

DaveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2012, 09:52 PM
Soliloquy of a Dogge
part of the problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Saku View Post
An article with quotes from Gerba and Occean giving their opinion about canadian soccer. Both are pretty harsh towards the CSA.

http://www.rds.ca/soccer/chroniques/349648.html
Not all of us can read french.

Soliloquy of a Dogge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2012, 09:57 PM
KingLB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suiteness View Post
And, to put things in perspective, Honduras was one of the worst teams in the last World Cup, and that generation was better than the current one. Considering the pounding they just gave to Canada makes you realize how much of joke Canada is in the grand scheme of things.
Completely different. The team is average. But CA teams playing at home are completely different. Hell Mexico in Azteca I would make the favorite in every game they play.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
Not even sure I'd put it on that many teams. About 15 maybe, tops. Central America is one frigin hard place to play for a lot of teams.
This....+the beginning of this.....

KingLB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2012, 10:30 PM
Moncherry

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
*For average CONCACAF teams like USA.

Top 15? That's basically the best of Europe and South America. No other team would be favourites going to Honduras? Please. It's not a daunting task for any decent team and even if it was that wouldn't excuse being slaughtered 8-1.

Get the US team on a tour playing in the Andes and Eastern Europe then you'll see what hostile atmospheres and difficult playing conditions are really like.

Moncherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2012, 12:52 AM
Hackett
BAKAMAN

Don't know where to start here. When I watch some of these guys who play for semi decent clubs, I wonder how in the hell they get there. For whatever reason, even the little talent that Canada does have, they all perform below their standards relative to their club teams when they don the maple leaf.

Hart will probably be canned, but we should know by now that this program's troubles go way beyond any manager.

Every time Canada fails badly in a major soccer tournament, there is an uproar for a couple days, then everybody goes back to not caring, and nothing really changes. Same thing will happen this time. Ho-hum.

One thing I would like to see is our grassroots coaches not trying to make themselves the 2nd coming of Sir Alex Ferguson, and let the kids take chances, and dare them to use their imagination. There's way too much of an emphasis on winning at the youth stage... let the kids develop some skill!

I'm so sick of hoping for Canada to make the WC by accident. Canada should be better than this, no more excuses. I'm sure the MLS effect will eventually make the Canadian side a little better, but there is a long, long way to go for Canada to be where they should be, and the MLS effect wont be nearly enough on its own. We are talking in terms of a decade or two, if the CSA pulls up their boots today.

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2012, 04:03 AM
BigBadBread
Shi Shi Shawww

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForSpareParts View Post
there's talk of a new technical direction in the nation. that we have to make drastic changes in the coaching/training starting with those that coach 8 year olds. so in 10 - 12 years we might have a slight chance of playing against Guadeloupe.

this is the darkest day in Canadian sports period.
Not even close. As harsh a defeat it was/is for Canadian soccer most of the country has no idea about this loss or just doesn't care and will forget about it very fast.

This was the final game in the 2nd last qualifying stage just to get into the WC. By the end of the whole tournament we will have placed right around where we rank, in 60th-70th place. Don't forget, hockey is and always will be number one in this country. Canadian Soccer will have to go a long long way before any game means as much to the Canadian sport culture as much as say a Canadian Men's olympic game or World Jr Championship or even the NHL.

Don't get me wrong, I was crushed watching this game. I watched every game up until that point so I was emotionally invested with the CanMNT. This was the darkest day in Canadian Men's Soccer for sure but we have one of the best women's programs in the world coming off a great Olympic performance and hosting an upcoming World Cup. All is not lost. However, CSA needs to be heavily invested in both programs in the near future to salvage what growth it has gotten in the past little while.

BigBadBread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2012, 08:00 AM
Suiteness

While not a solution to all our problems, it would be nice to get rid of this awful English kick and run style of football that the men's team has been playing for so long. I know our players are limited technically but this 'courageous lad running hard all over the pitch' garbage is not working.

Old
10-18-2012, 08:30 AM
QcS

guys, look on the bright side..

When Québec separates, then Canada should be able to win against us.

maybe..

QcS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2012, 08:41 AM
Suiteness

Quote:
Originally Posted by QcS View Post
guys, look on the bright side..

When Québec separates, then Canada should be able to win against us.

maybe..

Well, André Hainault, the only quebecer that was on the field, was hands down the worst player out there. So you might be on to something.

Old
10-18-2012, 08:47 AM
QcS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suiteness View Post
Well, André Hainault, the only quebecer that was on the field, was hands down the worst player out there. So you might be on to something.
Definitely.
How many Québécois were on the team? i know Bernier was warming up the bench.. any other?

Yeah our team would suck big time, but eh.. it'd give me a team to cheer for. haha

As for the Canadian system, I often hear about how all our best athletes play other sports, most notably hockey.. but other countries, even half our size, are good at both sports. (Sweden being the prime example)
How does their system work?

QcS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2012, 09:48 AM
Suiteness

Quote:
Originally Posted by QcS View Post
Definitely.
How many Québécois were on the team? i know Bernier was warming up the bench.. any other?

Yeah our team would suck big time, but eh.. it'd give me a team to cheer for. haha

As for the Canadian system, I often hear about how all our best athletes play other sports, most notably hockey.. but other countries, even half our size, are good at both sports. (Sweden being the prime example)
How does their system work?
To develop great players, you need great coaches. These countries invest in coaching and only licensed and trained individuals are working with young talent. That's how you get results. Raw talent that is not coached properly will end up being seriously flawed.

I was fortunate enough to have a moroccan immigrant as my first soccer coach when I was 5 years old. He had us working stricly on balls skills in practice, developing a great first touch, ball control, playing the ball with both feet, etc. He told us that games at our age were meaningless, not to worry about winning/losing but to focus on fundamentals. Unfortunetaly, some of the parents didn't approve of that approach so he was replaced by a hockey dad coach whose coaching abilities were limited to yelling 'Put it on the net'.