HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

All Purpose Luongo Trade Discussion (New news) MOD WARNING IN OP

Closed Thread

Old
10-18-2012, 08:49 AM
RECsGuy*

vCash: 500
Based on Canucks fans' less than enthusiastic response to this rumor, I get the feeling that Toronto's assets, when compared to those of the other teams rumored in the Luongo Sweepstakes, seem the least appealing to them, especially when Maple Leafs fans are refusing to let go of Rielly/Gardiner/Lupul/Kessel/Phaneuf/Van Riemsdyk.

Old
10-18-2012, 09:03 AM
tempest2i
Feral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
Yeah, it really mitigates the risk any team trading for Luongo takes on.
Not all of the risk.

For all intents and purposes the end years of Luongo's contract can be viewed the same way it was with the previous CBA. That is, Luongo can still play out whatever part of the contract he wants, retire when he's ready and remove his cap hit from the books of which ever team picks him up. That hasn't changed from the old CBA. The only thing that has changed, with respect to the team that trades for him, is the provision about stashing NHL salary in the minors or overseas to remove the cap hit.

I don't see why his trade value should increase in that situation. Luongo is now worth more because a potential provision of the new CBA includes something that directly punishes the Canucks further down the road? If I'm a team trading for Luongo, that doesn't matter to me and I'm not going to pay a premium now just because provision is there.

Old
10-18-2012, 09:05 AM
416Leafer

Quote:
Yeah, it really mitigates the risk any team trading for Luongo takes on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tempest2i View Post
Not all of the risk.

For all intents and purposes the end years of Luongo's contract can be viewed the same way it was with the previous CBA. That is, Luongo can still play out whatever part of the contract he wants, retire when he's ready and remove his cap hit from the books of which ever team picks him up. That hasn't changed from the old CBA. The only thing that has changed, with respect to the team that trades for him, is the provision about stashing NHL salary in the minors or overseas to remove the cap hit.
+1

People need to understand this. The proposed CBA revisions DO NOT affect the team trading for a contract like Luongo's one bit. It's the EXACT same to them as it would have been with the old CBA.

Responsible for both Luongo's cap hit and salary up until the point that he retires. If he doesn't want to retire, that means you could be holding onto that cap-hit several years after his play has significantly declined.

Old
10-18-2012, 09:11 AM
RECsGuy*

Quote:

I don't see why his trade value should increase in that situation. Luongo is now worth more because a potential provision of the new CBA includes something that directly punishes the Canucks further down the road? If I'm a team trading for Luongo, that doesn't matter to me and I'm not going to pay a premium now just because provision is there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 416Leafer View Post
+1

People need to understand this. The proposed CBA revisions DO NOT affect the team trading for a contract like Luongo's one bit. It's the EXACT same to them as it would have been with the old CBA.

Responsible for both Luongo's cap hit and salary up until the point that he retires. If he doesn't want to retire, that means you could be holding onto that cap-hit several years after his play has significantly declined.
Canucks fans SWEAR Luongo won't play out his contract. Don't bother telling them otherwise.

Old
10-18-2012, 09:17 AM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlmightyPO View Post
I see two of Kadri, Colborne, Franson, MacArthur and Kulemin as the roster players who would be in play. Doubt Burke trades the 1st, but a 2nd, and a lesser prospect (like Percy) probably would also be added.

To me I think I wouldn't bother making a trade if value is any higher then:

Kadri + MaC/Franson + Ashton/2nd+Percy
or
Kadri+Kulemin+2nd for Lu and Raymond
That would be horrible. I would much rather deal Luongo elsewhere if this is what's being offered. Neither of these trades address any of our needs.

10-18-2012, 09:21 AM
416Leafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ag925 View Post
Canucks fans SWEAR Luongo won't play out his contract. Don't bother telling them otherwise.
Then they should have no problems with the proposed changes to the CBA

Old
10-18-2012, 09:23 AM
Vankiller Whale
Bow down

vCash: 1508
Quote:
Not all of the risk.

Well, at least his HF value should go up. Everyone was telling us the CBA would make it so Luongo's contract would be on the books for the team that trades for him no matter what.

In 6-7 years from now there's a few possible scenarios.

1) Luongo retires.
2) Luongo still wants to play, but understanding his play no longer lives up to his contract, he agrees to go to a cap floor team to play the veteran backup.
3) Luongo doesn't want to retire, and want's to stay in Toronto/wherever instead of going somewhere else(like Florida) to spend the rest of his career. The team can threaten to put him in the minors, which would probably make him change his mind, so unless he'd rather play in the minors than Florida in 6-7 years from now, I don't think it will be much of a problem.

Old
10-18-2012, 09:24 AM
racerjoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by 416Leafer View Post
+1

This isn't directed at you, but many fans of other teams can't have it both ways.

They were telling us before this was a bad deal even if he retired early, as with the new CBA they could be stuck with the cap hit, and so on. Now many are saying it changes nothing. They can only have it one way.

I agree to someone like Burke, this probably means very little, to Tallon Trading for cap space may be interesting, and who knows for anyone else.

But to HF posters, this should raise the value.

Old
10-18-2012, 09:31 AM
Broad Street Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
That would be horrible. I would much rather deal Luongo elsewhere if this is what's being offered. Neither of these trades address any of our needs.
While I'm not a fan of the players that were offered, I don't see many combinations of teams that need a goaltender who can fit Luongo under a potentially reduced salary cap, especially if the new CBA precludes burying his later years in the minors for cap relief.

In fact, I'm hard-pressed to think of any other team besides Toronto where the math and longer term need match-up. In Florida, for example, if some of the common tools for burying/trading an aged player with a sizable cap hit AND team control of prospects is extended, why would they not just go with Markstrom for free? Furthermore, by trading cap space, they could actually end up with MORE than Luongo gains them.

The more restrictive the CBA becomes with salary cap tricks, the harder it becomes for Luongo to return even modest value.

Old
10-18-2012, 09:32 AM
Bourne Endeavor
HFBoards: Night's Watch

vCash: 50
Quote:
The reality is Luongo is unlikely to address our needs specifically this season. I definitely feel a first needs to be apart of the return unless Lupul is involved. That and Kadri builds our woefully shallow prospect pool and may produce replacements when the inevitable end to the Sedin/Kesler era comes. Personally, I would love Lupul but cannot see any scenario where the Leafs move him. With Kesler out until January, I wouldn't mind Connolly coming back. In fact, I may push for that, especially if we can dump Raymond.

Old
10-18-2012, 09:34 AM
Liferleafer
Blow it up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ag925 View Post
Based on Canucks fans' less than enthusiastic response to this rumor, I get the feeling that Toronto's assets, when compared to those of the other teams rumored in the Luongo Sweepstakes, seem the least appealing to them, especially when Maple Leafs fans are refusing to let go of Rielly/Gardiner/Lupul/Kessel/Phaneuf/Van Riemsdyk.
Does anyone other than Nuck's fans actually think the Leafs SHOULD deal any of these guys....i mean come on.

Old
10-18-2012, 09:37 AM
Bourne Endeavor
HFBoards: Night's Watch

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liferleafer View Post
Does anyone other than Nuck's fans actually think the Leafs SHOULD deal any of these guys....i mean come on.
I'm a Nuck fan and think you'd be crazy moving them but hey. I won't complain if it happens.

Old
10-18-2012, 09:39 AM
Vankiller Whale
Bow down

Gardiner or JVR is about the most I'd expect. I doubt they get traded, but I don't think it's out of the realm of reality.

Old
10-18-2012, 09:39 AM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Well if not then the Leafs SHOULD enjoy missing the playoffs due to bad goaltending again. We aren't going to just give you a star player for spare parts like Calgary did.

Old
10-18-2012, 09:42 AM
Liferleafer
Blow it up!

Quote:
Well if not then the Leafs SHOULD enjoy missing the playoffs due to bad goaltending again. We aren't going to just give you a star player for spare parts like Calgary did.
No worries...if the cost is any of Kessel/Phaneuf/Rielly/Gards/JVR or Lupul you can respectfully keep Luongo.

Old
10-18-2012, 09:44 AM
Liferleafer
Blow it up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourne Endeavor View Post
I'm a Nuck fan and think you'd be crazy moving them but hey. I won't complain if it happens.
I wouldn't complain if Kesler was coming here either....but alas....

Old
10-18-2012, 09:47 AM
birddog*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucbourdon View Post
Also

This is getting interesting, But wait...Read this.

Suddenly Luongo's trade value just went up again.

Interesting stuff today.
It didn't go up. Prior to the new proposed change -- if Luongo retired no team was responsible for the cap hit. Because Vancouver is now responsible does not make him more attractive to the Leafs.

Also, it's doubtful players will agree to this and I am surprised the NHL wanted this in there.

Old
10-18-2012, 09:48 AM
Vankiller Whale
Bow down

Quote:
I wouldn't complain if Kesler was coming here either....but alas....
Ah. Kessel + Grabovski for Luongo + Kesler....

Old
10-18-2012, 09:50 AM
birddog*

Quote:
I think with the addition of Rielly,I would think Gardiner becomes a little expendable, I don't see him as untouchable as he was before the draft.
With that logic -- one of the Sedins is expendable -- since they are similar players.

Burle won't trade his young guns. Kadri is probably the only possibility in terms of young players.

Old
10-18-2012, 09:50 AM
Liferleafer
Blow it up!

Quote:
Ah. Kessel + Grabovski for Luongo + Kesler....
Ahh...no.

Old
10-18-2012, 09:51 AM
YouCantYandleThis*
Moustache Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by birddog View Post
With that logic -- one of the Sedins is expendable -- since they are similar players.

Burle won't trade his young guns. Kadri is probably the only possibility in terms of young players.
Feel like explaining this one to me? Am I missing something?

Old
10-18-2012, 09:52 AM
Liferleafer
Blow it up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by YouCantYandleThis View Post
Feel like explaining this one to me? Am I missing something?
He was responding to a post that said because we now have Reilly, Gardiner should be expendable as they are similar players.

Old
10-18-2012, 09:53 AM
YouCantYandleThis*
Moustache Enthusiast

Quote:
He was responding to a post that said because we now have Reilly, Gardiner should be expendable as they are similar players.
Absolutely in no way similar situations.

But yeah, fair enough

Old
10-18-2012, 09:53 AM
ChillyPalmer

Quote:
lol, you guys get awfully sensitive when no one wants your superstar goalie.

No more trading the future just to make the playoffs. Goal is to win it all. Love, love the guy, but Lu couldn't win the cup with the Cancuks, and he's gonna lead the Leafs there? Even harder when we have to give up core pieces just to get him.

Do no want.

Old
10-18-2012, 09:54 AM
YouCantYandleThis*
Moustache Enthusiast

"Reimer is gonna take us to the promised land!"

Has a nice ring to it. Scrivens, not so much.

Closed Thread