HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Sports > Mixed Martial Arts
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Mixed Martial Arts UFC, Bellator, HDNet Fights, WSOF, MFC, KOTC, One FC, and others

Fight Announcements & Rumors - Part 6

Closed Thread

Old
10-17-2012, 12:59 PM
m9

vCash: 500
The only people who get ripped off with this fight are the hardcore fans. So people on here won't like it, but lots of people I've talked to are excited for the bout.

Jon Jones - Huge winner. Big payday for him, good publicity move.
Chael - Gets another big payday, which is great for him as his career is winding down.
UFC - $$, plus gives TUF a boost
Casual fans - Get a fight they want to see, but an entertaining TUF season

Old
10-17-2012, 01:16 PM
Live in the Now
YNWA

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MM425 View Post
I wouldn't be so quick to totally right off Sonnen.

They guy did take 5/7 rounds from the greatest MMA fighter of all time after all. And nobody has really gone "all in" on trying to put Jones on his back before.

Obviously, Jones is a big favourite but stylistically this fight will be a look we haven't seen before.
The difference is that Silva has proven to be somewhat easy to take down. When you get in Jones clinch it has proven to be impossible to do anything but get beaten up or taken down.

Old
10-17-2012, 01:17 PM
m9

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Worse than that, Jones wont be fighting a legitimate challenger until Oct 2013. That's if there are not delays caused by injury or whatnot.

Just a mind boggling move by the company.
I agree with the first part. Jones has always had a great workrate, and this slows this down a ton. It may not be a big deal now, but when we have Franklin/Wanderlei 3 headlining a PPV next year followed by Fitch/Penn 2, it will start to show. They are desperate for headliners as it is, and this spreads them fairly thin. A couple injuries and we are right back into some brutal cards early in 2013.

Plus I'm just so over TUF and throwing resources into it just frustrates me. Nobody watches it anyway.

Old
10-17-2012, 01:41 PM
Gene Parmesan
Spider 2 Y Banana.

Quote:
Originally Posted by m9 View Post
I agree with the first part. Jones has always had a great workrate, and this slows this down a ton. It may not be a big deal now, but when we have Franklin/Wanderlei 3 headlining a PPV next year followed by Fitch/Penn 2, it will start to show. They are desperate for headliners as it is, and this spreads them fairly thin. A couple injuries and we are right back into some brutal cards early in 2013.

Plus I'm just so over TUF and throwing resources into it just frustrates me. Nobody watches it anyway.
I wish they would pull the plug on TUF or change it or something. Its circling the drain.

Old
10-17-2012, 02:31 PM
m9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene Parmesan View Post
I wish they would pull the plug on TUF or change it or something. Its circling the drain.
They have so much roster filler anyway. They should just put 16 guys in the house at LW and the 15 guys who lose get cut. Now that's entertainment.

I'll even give the UFC a roster for the show:

Mitch Clarke
John Cofer
Daron Cruickshank
C.J. Keith
Anton Kuivanen
Jeremy Larsen
Marcus Levesseur
Reza Madadi
John Makdessi
Henry Martinez
TJ O'Brien
Joe Proctor
Justin Salas
Jeremy Stephens
Paul Taylor
Abel Trujillo

A few of the guys have already been on TUF, but oh well. Stephens adds a little wildcard intrigue to the show, as long as he's out of jail. Losers are cut, winner gets a LHW title shot.

And yes, those are actual UFC rostered LW's. How sad is that. Even worse is I had a list of 20 guys who should be there, but I had to trim it. Maybe guys like Stout and Fisher could go in there as well to add a bit of star power.

Old
10-17-2012, 03:36 PM
Gene Parmesan
Spider 2 Y Banana.

Quote:
They have so much roster filler anyway. They should just put 16 guys in the house at LW and the 15 guys who lose get cut. Now that's entertainment.

Mitch Clarke
John Cofer
Daron Cruickshank
C.J. Keith
Anton Kuivanen
Jeremy Larsen
Marcus Levesseur
Reza Madadi
John Makdessi
Henry Martinez
TJ O'Brien
Joe Proctor
Justin Salas
Jeremy Stephens
Paul Taylor
Abel Trujillo

A few of the guys have already been on TUF, but oh well. Stephens adds a little wildcard intrigue to the show, as long as he's out of jail. Losers are cut, winner gets a LHW title shot.

And yes, those are actual UFC rostered LW's. How sad is that. Even worse is I had a list of 20 guys who should be there, but I had to trim it. Maybe guys like Stout and Fisher could go in there as well to add a bit of star power.
That I would watch. That stipulation would create an entertaining show.

Old
10-17-2012, 05:17 PM
Jasper

Quote:

Mitch Clarke
John Cofer
Daron Cruickshank
C.J. Keith
Anton Kuivanen
Jeremy Larsen
Marcus Levesseur
Reza Madadi
John Makdessi
Henry Martinez
TJ O'Brien
Joe Proctor
Justin Salas
Jeremy Stephens
Paul Taylor
Abel Trujillo

That would be awesome.

Old
10-17-2012, 06:00 PM
Matthew
F.A.R.T on Mike Todd

Send a message via AIM to Matthew
Quote:
I wouldn't be so quick to totally right off Sonnen.

They guy did take 5/7 rounds from the greatest MMA fighter of all time after all. And nobody has really gone "all in" on trying to put Jones on his back before.

Obviously, Jones is a big favourite but stylistically this fight will be a look we haven't seen before.
He does have that true fearlessness when it comes to his opponents. How many people lost to Silva just at the weigh in?

Jones doesn't have the same aura as Spider, especially after Belfort almost broke his arm, so I would expect Chael to fight him with supreme confidence.

Old
10-17-2012, 06:13 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

With some guys (Rampage, Vitor) you can say they have a puncher's chance because they have power or a certain skill that can defeat Jones. It's very unlikely but there's still a chance they can land a punch and finish the fight. IMO, Chael doesn't even have that. He has no shot at winning this fight.

I love how Jones kept bringing up TRT and Chael said he doesn't want to talk about it or he just immediately changed the subject. I hope Jones keeps playing that card to get under his skin.

Old
10-17-2012, 07:32 PM
AndyPipkin
PSN: Lord_Of_War

Dan Henderson ‏@danhendo
I guess I should just quit training to win fights and to be exciting for the fans and just go to s--- talking school. @danawhite

Lyoto Machida @lyotomachidafw
With all respect,but for me Chael does not deserve The title shot,I would like To know What He had done in LHW for deserve!!

Old
10-17-2012, 07:54 PM
Jasper

I can understand why people (and fighters) aren't happy about Chael getting a title fight.. but it's sort of the Fitch (last fight notwithstanding which was awesome) vs Chael debate. Or the FOTN/KO/Sub thing. If you want big fights, make it an entertaining show in some way. I don't have a problem with that since it's all really just entertainment in the end. I'm sure everyone here knows this, whether they agree or not.

Look at what Brock did for the UFC. I hate WWE with a passion but that made me and a hell of a lot of other people pretty interested in the HW division.

Old
10-17-2012, 07:59 PM
AndyPipkin
PSN: Lord_Of_War

A Hendo/Jones fight would actually be an exciting fight though.

Old
10-17-2012, 08:41 PM
Jasper

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyPipkin View Post
A Hendo/Jones fight would actually be an exciting fight though.
A better challenge, yes, probably.. but I think all the hype and mind ****s Sonnen will bring will sell a lot more PPV's. Honestly I don't see Hendo doing much better, either one of them will get destroyed in my opinion. Chael will at least add some drama. He did a better job of it with Anderson.

Old
10-17-2012, 09:26 PM
I Am Beat You

Henderson's only shot at winning is his right hand. I doubt that's any more exciting or competitive than the Sonnen fight.

Old
10-17-2012, 10:46 PM
macleod50

Quote:
Originally Posted by gudas View Post
Henderson's only shot at winning is his right hand. I doubt that's any more exciting or competitive than the Sonnen fight.
Henderson has a shot. Sonnen doesn't. This is a terrible matchup. Jones finishes him inside of 2 rounds.

Old
10-18-2012, 12:56 AM
VeddarRants
HEART AND SOUL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live in the Now View Post
The difference is that Silva has proven to be somewhat easy to take down. When you get in Jones clinch it has proven to be impossible to do anything but get beaten up or taken down.
I think I read somewhere going into the 1st Sonnen fight that Silva had the best takedown defense in UFC history...something ungodly like 84 percent. He did better in the second round of the second fight...think I counted two stuffs by Silva.

Old
10-18-2012, 12:57 AM
VeddarRants
HEART AND SOUL

Oh man, this media call is awesome

Last edited by VeddarRants: 10-18-2012 at 01:31 AM.
Old
10-18-2012, 01:13 AM
VeddarRants
HEART AND SOUL

Listening to the media call.... I don't think there's a bigger disingenuous dirtbag in the sport than Jon Jones. The reasons he gives in regards to 151 flip flops all the time.

Chael's pimping of TUF 17 is just pure gold.... Dana had to be beaming over on his end of the phone. That was an absolutely brilliant promo Chael gave for TUF.

Dana White: Jones is injured until April. Every one of the guys who are *****ing about not fighting Jon Jones...every one of these guys were offered to fight Jones and they all turned it down. Chael is the only one that stepped up.

Chael Sonnen on being worthy of Jones fight: I'm happy to take a tune up fight with anyone who called me out, including "The Karate Kid". Welcome to life. We don't deserve things, we get what we get. Not one of them called out Jon. The only fighter that did was me. I will fight anyone at anytime. I have to deal with this all the time...guys getting jealous or envious of an opportunity. But none of them want to walk up and point to the crowd and tell them where they're going to hit the ball. I will, I'll call my shot. And as far as talking my way into the fight? What do I care about that. So what. I wanted it, and I got it. I talked a cat out of a tree earlier today. I got plenty of jobs I wasn't qualified for. Good for me and chalk one more up for the Bad Guy.

Chael on Jon Jones: Jones is the best fighter I've ever faced. He's fantastic. He's got techniques I don't even know what they're called. Jon Jones needs me. I'm the man. I'm the man because I said I am. If anyone else wants this spot, come get and come take if from me. They're all blowing up their little twitter accounts...come do the heavy lifting.

Chael: Chael Sonnen will take half of these men and teach them how to be fighters. Jon Jones will take the other half and teach them how to be selfish. And then throw a hell of an after party.

Chael: I've been on both sides of an ass-whoopin. Jon Jones has not. He's been very dominant. But he's also fought a lot of guys who are timid and afraid to get into a fight. I'm going to walk out there and get into a fist fight. I'm in a lot better shape than anyone he's fought or Jon himself. As much as I don't want to admit, Jones is better. But I'm in better shape than anyone he's ever fought.

Jones: You talking about being in shape on TRT, or off it?

Sonnen: On it. You tell the media and let everyone know...well, let's move on.

Jones: I'm over if Chael deserves the shot or not. I'm more about what the fans want. I want to put the Chael Sonnen chapter behind me and do this for the fans.

White: This kid is going to sit around healing up and doing the coach thing and then fight Chael Sonnen in April. After that, Jones can fight the top contenders. Let me be clear: all the guys complaining about Sonnen getting the shot are all the guys who turned down fighting Jon Jones.

Sonnen: it doesn't matter if Jon Jones is not the champion or is. I want to fight Jon Jones. He continues to act like he's done something impressive. Who did he ever beat. When Couture left the division, that division became a joke. Jon may be the guy. But he isn't yet.

Jones ( giggling ): Come on Chael. Chael, really (more school girl giggling ).

White: it's easier to sit from the outside and say " oh you should have done this and you should have done that ". Trust me, being on the inside and getting things done is a lot harder than it looks.

Sonnen: I don't care about these weights. When I first started, we didn't have weight divisions. The only thing that de-legitimizes the belt is the brat currently holding it.

Jones: Some things I respect about Sonnen. He's good for the sport in some ways. But he's not a champion caliber athlete at all. I'm doing a lot of people in this sport a favor. I'm doing Chael a favor.

Jones: I know who I am. I know who Chael is - someone with no class.

Sonnen: Of course there are things off limits. I'm not picking a fight. I have my fight. As much as I want to beat him up, Jon is a wrestler, and it is a fraternity. I'll always have a spot for him in my heart. So there you go.

White: Jon likes the idea of fighting Chael and putting this chapter behind him. It sort of all works out this way ( getting injured, healing, coaching and fighting Chael when he comes back ).

Jones: I don't really consider Sonnen a legit wrestler. So what if he takes me down. He gets submitted all the time anyway. I don't think his wrestling will be a factor. His ground and pound is very weak. When it comes to wrestling, I don't have anything to worry about it. I don't see anyway Chael can win this fight. Losing to Chael is not an option. I'm ready to smackdown on him over a lot of the things he said.

Sonnen: god, that was so painful to listen to. of course I will take Jon down, repeatedly.

Jones: I hate TRT ( ranted about it ).

Sonnen: I don't have any comment about it ( about Sonnen's comments several years ago about having to take TRT or he'll die )

Last edited by VeddarRants: 10-18-2012 at 02:11 AM.
Old
10-18-2012, 03:57 AM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 69
Quote:

Mitch Clarke
John Cofer
Daron Cruickshank
C.J. Keith
Anton Kuivanen
Jeremy Larsen
Marcus Levesseur
Reza Madadi
John Makdessi
Henry Martinez
TJ O'Brien
Joe Proctor
Justin Salas
Jeremy Stephens
Paul Taylor
Abel Trujillo

That's a pretty good idea.

I would add some new twists though. Like if you lose, the cartel kidnaps and tortures a family member. That would ensure that people dont quit in the cage.

Old
10-18-2012, 04:49 AM
CNS
A World Alone

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
That's a pretty good idea.

I would add some new twists though. Like if you lose, the cartel kidnaps and tortures a family member. That would ensure that people dont quit in the cage.
Or just get Jeremy Stephens to do it.

Old
10-18-2012, 06:07 AM
Bronn
Registered Sellsword

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeddarRants View Post
And if Chael wins?
He won't but even if by miracle he does it still won't change my opinion that he didn't deserve a title shot. It's going to be good for him though and will help to ressurect his career/re-hype himself

Last edited by Bronn: 10-18-2012 at 06:31 AM.
Old
10-18-2012, 10:15 AM
m9

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnshockey View Post
Or just get Jeremy Stephens to do it.
If he's going to be under house arrest anyway, why not the TUF house?

Old
10-18-2012, 10:23 AM
Gene Parmesan
Spider 2 Y Banana.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeddarRants View Post
Listening to the media call.... I don't think there's a bigger disingenuous dirtbag in the sport than Jon Jones. The reasons he gives in regards to 151 flip flops all the time.

Chael's pimping of TUF 17 is just pure gold.... Dana had to be beaming over on his end of the phone. That was an absolutely brilliant promo Chael gave for TUF.

Dana White: Jones is injured until April. Every one of the guys who are *****ing about not fighting Jon Jones...every one of these guys were offered to fight Jones and they all turned it down. Chael is the only one that stepped up.

Chael Sonnen on being worthy of Jones fight: I'm happy to take a tune up fight with anyone who called me out, including "The Karate Kid". Welcome to life. We don't deserve things, we get what we get. Not one of them called out Jon. The only fighter that did was me. I will fight anyone at anytime. I have to deal with this all the time...guys getting jealous or envious of an opportunity. But none of them want to walk up and point to the crowd and tell them where they're going to hit the ball. I will, I'll call my shot. And as far as talking my way into the fight? What do I care about that. So what. I wanted it, and I got it. I talked a cat out of a tree earlier today. I got plenty of jobs I wasn't qualified for. Good for me and chalk one more up for the Bad Guy.

Chael on Jon Jones: Jones is the best fighter I've ever faced. He's fantastic. He's got techniques I don't even know what they're called. Jon Jones needs me. I'm the man. I'm the man because I said I am. If anyone else wants this spot, come get and come take if from me. They're all blowing up their little twitter accounts...come do the heavy lifting.

Chael: Chael Sonnen will take half of these men and teach them how to be fighters. Jon Jones will take the other half and teach them how to be selfish. And then throw a hell of an after party.

Chael: I've been on both sides of an ass-whoopin. Jon Jones has not. He's been very dominant. But he's also fought a lot of guys who are timid and afraid to get into a fight. I'm going to walk out there and get into a fist fight. I'm in a lot better shape than anyone he's fought or Jon himself. As much as I don't want to admit, Jones is better. But I'm in better shape than anyone he's ever fought.

Jones: You talking about being in shape on TRT, or off it?

Sonnen: On it. You tell the media and let everyone know...well, let's move on.

Jones: I'm over if Chael deserves the shot or not. I'm more about what the fans want. I want to put the Chael Sonnen chapter behind me and do this for the fans.

White: This kid is going to sit around healing up and doing the coach thing and then fight Chael Sonnen in April. After that, Jones can fight the top contenders. Let me be clear: all the guys complaining about Sonnen getting the shot are all the guys who turned down fighting Jon Jones.

Sonnen: it doesn't matter if Jon Jones is not the champion or is. I want to fight Jon Jones. He continues to act like he's done something impressive. Who did he ever beat. When Couture left the division, that division became a joke. Jon may be the guy. But he isn't yet.

Jones ( giggling ): Come on Chael. Chael, really (more school girl giggling ).

White: it's easier to sit from the outside and say " oh you should have done this and you should have done that ". Trust me, being on the inside and getting things done is a lot harder than it looks.

Sonnen: I don't care about these weights. When I first started, we didn't have weight divisions. The only thing that de-legitimizes the belt is the brat currently holding it.

Jones: Some things I respect about Sonnen. He's good for the sport in some ways. But he's not a champion caliber athlete at all. I'm doing a lot of people in this sport a favor. I'm doing Chael a favor.

Jones: I know who I am. I know who Chael is - someone with no class.

Sonnen: Of course there are things off limits. I'm not picking a fight. I have my fight. As much as I want to beat him up, Jon is a wrestler, and it is a fraternity. I'll always have a spot for him in my heart. So there you go.

White: Jon likes the idea of fighting Chael and putting this chapter behind him. It sort of all works out this way ( getting injured, healing, coaching and fighting Chael when he comes back ).

Jones: I don't really consider Sonnen a legit wrestler. So what if he takes me down. He gets submitted all the time anyway. I don't think his wrestling will be a factor. His ground and pound is very weak. When it comes to wrestling, I don't have anything to worry about it. I don't see anyway Chael can win this fight. Losing to Chael is not an option. I'm ready to smackdown on him over a lot of the things he said.

Sonnen: god, that was so painful to listen to. of course I will take Jon down, repeatedly.

Jones: I hate TRT ( ranted about it ).

Sonnen: I don't have any comment about it ( about Sonnen's comments several years ago about having to take TRT or he'll die )
I'm guessing the TRT comments by Jones weren't in the script for Chael . It will be entertaining but nothing more.

Old
10-18-2012, 11:32 AM
MM425

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live in the Now View Post
Chael is a double-leg guy not a clinch guy though... I could be wrong but when has anybody ever shot a double leg on Jones before?

Either way, Chael is a guy who comes to fight every time. I don't expect this to be a walk in the park for Jones at all.

Old
10-18-2012, 12:23 PM
Bronn
Registered Sellsword

Quote:
Chael is a double-leg guy not a clinch guy though... I could be wrong but when has anybody ever shot a double leg on Jones before?

Either way, Chael is a guy who comes to fight every time. I don't expect this to be a walk in the park for Jones at all.
Sonnen had issues taking Bisping and Anderson down (2nd fight) so now way in hell that he's taking down a much bigger and stronger wrestler in Jones. And even if he does manage to do it , i don't think he will be able to keep him there and will probably gass while trying to which would make his next attempt(s) much less effective. Not to mention that he wasn't able to do much damage while laying and pounding on Anderson for 4 1/2 rounds so i don't see how it would be any different while laying on top of Jones.

No doubt that Chael come to fight everytime and i actually like the guy but i just don't see what he has to offer against Jones. He's getting beaten pretty much everywhere except in the trash talking department.

Closed Thread