HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

D Ryan Murphy - Kitchener Rangers, OHL (2011, 12th overall, Carolina)

Closed Thread

Old
10-17-2012, 02:05 PM
Tim Wallach

vCash: 500
I could write a novel here, but believe me, it is far from Murphy's fault. The entire team plays with an unintense malaise that renders him ineffective.

Essentially it's a team with a very good top-end and then a whole whack of sluggish foot soldiers who are fairly inept. And they sadly lack a puck distributor. Teams obviously key on Murphy and don't give him much room, but there's no captain of the ship elsewhere in the lineup to rag the puck, set up in the zone and create offence. Faksa is the only player remotely capable of that as even Rieder and Puempel are more quick-strike opportunists than puck control guys, and Faksa seems to just be cycling to himself.

Plus, the D is marshmallow soft. Only Iafrate and Genovese have any kind of physicality in their game and it seems to be getting coached out of them. It's a back-in and stick check style of game that leaves them on the defensive most of the time. So much of hockey is about possession time and they just don't have the style and personnel to control the puck much.

Murphy is about the only one who does and it just ends up being a repeating pattern of him rushing to centre, getting met by three opponents and dishing to a wing where a sluggish body can't get to it or just chips it in to no one. This is followed by a full minute of Rangers chasing opponents around their zone trying to take the flag out of their pocket.

Old
10-17-2012, 03:01 PM
HockeyGuruPitka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Wallach View Post
I could write a novel here, but believe me, it is far from Murphy's fault. The entire team plays with an unintense malaise that renders him ineffective.

Essentially it's a team with a very good top-end and then a whole whack of sluggish foot soldiers who are fairly inept. And they sadly lack a puck distributor. Teams obviously key on Murphy and don't give him much room, but there's no captain of the ship elsewhere in the lineup to rag the puck, set up in the zone and create offence. Faksa is the only player remotely capable of that as even Rieder and Puempel are more quick-strike opportunists than puck control guys, and Faksa seems to just be cycling to himself.

Plus, the D is marshmallow soft. Only Iafrate and Genovese have any kind of physicality in their game and it seems to be getting coached out of them. It's a back-in and stick check style of game that leaves them on the defensive most of the time. So much of hockey is about possession time and they just don't have the style and personnel to control the puck much.

Murphy is about the only one who does and it just ends up being a repeating pattern of him rushing to centre, getting met by three opponents and dishing to a wing where a sluggish body can't get to it or just chips it in to no one. This is followed by a full minute of Rangers chasing opponents around their zone trying to take the flag out of their pocket.
That seems like a spot on analysis. I'm sure its a combination of everything that is contributing to the result. I dont envision this being a long term problem, but who knows.

Everything you said is basically what happened in Mississauga, however they had success doing it. Faksa was extremely impressive. I find it odd that Puempel is more or less a pure sniper now. When he was a rookie i remember noticing him in peterborough as being dominant on the puck, and controlling the pace of the game. I was very high on him at the time, however its possible that his injury has somewhat changed his style of play.... probably not..

Old
10-17-2012, 03:22 PM
Tim Wallach

I agree that I don't think this can last. As much as I disparaged them, there's still too much talent on that roster to not win their share of games - starting with the goaltending.

And Murphy won't get held at 1 point for long. He'll go on a run sooner or later. But we're sure seeing how nice it was to have him insulated with Sol last year. A big, hulking, solid defender was the perfect pairing. Ryan Hanes? Not so much.

Old
10-17-2012, 03:30 PM
maplehawk
HFB Partner

id write something, but it would probably just be a biased rant because, let's just say...im not a fan of Steve Spott...never have been.

i cringe at the thought of him running our WJC team year.

Old
10-17-2012, 03:43 PM
Four1 Lead
We got Nylander.

Never been a fan of Ryan Murphy.

AHL All-Star.

Old
10-17-2012, 04:12 PM
HabsFanFromOntario

The only reason the team wins a game is John Gibson.

Murphy is the eptiome of everything that represents OFD

Old
10-17-2012, 04:15 PM
DKQ
Generic User Title

Ryan Murphy is one of my favourite OHL players, hate to see him struggle in a season where I thought he would be in contention for the Kaminsky trophy. If Kitchener struggles is there a chance he gets traded to a team like Barrie or Owen Sound?

Old
10-17-2012, 04:18 PM
Leafs at Knight
Fire Burn the Ice

I don't know , but I hope they stay the same all season.

Old
10-17-2012, 04:25 PM
Rabid Ranger
2 is better than one

Quote:
Originally Posted by maplehawk View Post
id write something, but it would probably just be a biased rant because, let's just say...im not a fan of Steve Spott...never have been.

i cringe at the thought of him running our WJC team year.
Well, as an American I hope he doesn't run Gibson into the ground....

Old
10-17-2012, 04:29 PM
ponder

Haven't caught any Rangers games this year, but I've seen plenty of Ryan Murphy in the past. Even if the team is struggling mightily, I have to think that Murphy himself will start to rack up the points soon enough, he's just WAY too talented offensively not to. He certainly has faults in his game, but offensively he's the complete package with terrific skating, great puck handling and a laser of a shot, if anything his only significant weakness offensively is that he tries to do too much. I just can't see him being held off the scoresheet long term, he's too talented.

Old
10-17-2012, 04:32 PM
Rabid Ranger
2 is better than one

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponder View Post
Haven't caught any Rangers games this year, but I've seen plenty of Ryan Murphy in the past. Even if the team is struggling mightily, I have to think that Murphy himself will start to rack up the points soon enough, he's just WAY too talented offensively not to. He certainly has faults in his game, but offensively he's the complete package with terrific skating, great puck handling and a laser of a shot, if anything his only significant weakness offensively is that he tries to do too much. I just can't see him being held off the scoresheet long term, he's too talented.
I assume he'll likely make the WJC team due to the Spott connection?

Old
10-17-2012, 04:33 PM
Fourier

Quote:

Pretty much dead on from what I have seen. Though I would add that in severa of the games they have run into pretty solid goaltneding. Rieder for example was rbbed on at least three occasions in the first few games. But the big issue really does seem to be that outside of 4 players no one on this team seems to be able to put the puck in the net.

Old
10-17-2012, 04:50 PM
Whydidijoin*

Murphy looked terrible in the Canada-Russia series as well.

Old
10-17-2012, 05:00 PM
babblemoth
my heart and I agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whydidijoin View Post
Was pretty darn good, at least offensively, in one of the games I saw. Can't remember which one though.

Old
10-17-2012, 05:05 PM
ponder

Quote:
You really think so? He sometimes tried to do too much, and had some poor turnovers and defensive plays, but he was easily one of the most offensively dynamic players on either team, at any position. He tore through Russia's defence on a regular basis, and was constantly making things happen with the puck. I thought it was a very good showing for him, personally.

Old
10-17-2012, 05:07 PM
Jebuz

As an avid watcher of the OHL here is what I have to say about the Rangers start.

First, they were overhyped to begin the season. They are not even the best team in their conference, let alone the league; London, Plymouth, and Owen Sound are all much deeper teams than the Rangers.

Second, the team lacks depth all over. Beyond Rieder, Faksa, Puempel, and Murphy, they dont have any players that can put the puck in the back of the net. The OHL is a league where depth matters a lot. If your second and third lines can score in the OHL than you have got yourself a good squad, the Rangers lack this depth.

As far as I am concerned, John Gibson is the only reason this team is winning games at all, the kid is an absolute stud in net.

Old
10-17-2012, 05:24 PM
Whydidijoin*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponder View Post
You really think so? He sometimes tried to do too much, and had some poor turnovers and defensive plays, but he was easily one of the most offensively dynamic players on either team, at any position. He tore through Russia's defence on a regular basis, and was constantly making things happen with the puck. I thought it was a very good showing for him, personally.
What series were you watching? He was not even the most offensively dynamic defenseman on his own team, and most of the time when he tried to be, he caused terrible turnovers. He was absolutely terrible defensively.

He was easily the worst defenceman overall on Team Canada. His name came up a ton, but not for good reasons.

Old
10-17-2012, 08:13 PM
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo

Quote:
What series were you watching? He was not even the most offensively dynamic defenseman on his own team, and most of the time when he tried to be, he caused terrible turnovers. He was absolutely terrible defensively.

He was easily the worst defenceman overall on Team Canada. His name came up a ton, but not for good reasons.
I don't know that I agree 100%, but I side more with this. Murphy wasn't very good. He had a couple nice rushes, but most of the time he just held onto the puck too long before forcing a pass or taking a slapshot from a awful angle, missing, and resulting in the play headed the other direction. He made bad reads defensively and overall wasn't good in his own zone.

Murphy can be extremely impactful on a game.. sadly, that impact can be just as negative as it is positive at times and I don't know that I'd trust him on a stage like the World Junior Championship.

Old
10-17-2012, 09:37 PM
Faidh ar Rud Eigin
Modhnóirí Claonta

As other Kitchener fans have eluded to, it's really not Murphy's fault for why he's not putting up points. He had at least one man on him every time he steps on the ice, and for an offense that runs through Murphy that's difficult. Otherwise he's been a rock defensively, probably Kitchener's best on a team that up untill the Ottawa game was letting in next to no goals (And that's not all Gibson).

Gibson is great, probably the best goalie in the OHL but you don't consistently give up only one or two goals in the OHL without a great defense, and Murphy is a big part of the reason Gibson untill his horrible performance at ScotiaBank Place that the goalie numbers were so good.

Kitchener will pick it up soon, they're too good not too, and when the team starts playing better overall Murphys points will come.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DropkickQuinn View Post
Ryan Murphy is one of my favourite OHL players, hate to see him struggle in a season where I thought he would be in contention for the Kaminsky trophy. If Kitchener struggles is there a chance he gets traded to a team like Barrie or Owen Sound?
I doubt he gets traded unless Kitchener gets a massive package back.

Quote:

I really take offense to people who don't know what the hell they're talking about. You're simply not describing how he played. He had that ONE turnover in the first game, that's it, the only one, and people jumped on his throat, despite overall a prety decent game. The rest of the series however, Murphy was far and away Canada's best defensemen, perhaps even the best player. No problems defensively, the most dynamic/consistent offensively.

Where were you doing that series? I distinctly remember all the hater around during that one game after that turnover, and they all disappeared untill weeks after the series. It's a lot easier to criticize him months removed than during the series when he was arguably Canada's MVP.

The general feeling coming off the Canada-Russia series was "Wow, look how good that Murphy kid is, how was he not there last year?"

Old
10-18-2012, 10:06 AM
Tim Wallach

Quote:

To evaluate Murphy's Canada-Russia series that way is to suggest you didn't watch the whole thing. His series was a tale of two Murphys.

He didn't play game one and was fairly awful in game two. Lots of turnovers and weak rush attempts followed by some benching.

But in game 3 he was fantastic. Looked way better than the other D in that game and looked every bit the high 1st round pick.

I know this is a side issue, but to characterize his play in the entire series by one adjective is wildly mis-leading.

Old
10-18-2012, 10:23 AM
HockeyGuruPitka

Quote:
To evaluate Murphy's Canada-Russia series that way is to suggest you didn't watch the whole thing. His series was a tale of two Murphys.

He didn't play game one and was fairly awful in game two. Lots of turnovers and weak rush attempts followed by some benching.

But in game 3 he was fantastic. Looked way better than the other D in that game and looked every bit the high 1st round pick.

I know this is a side issue, but to characterize his play in the entire series by one adjective is wildly mis-leading.
I think once Ryan Murphy becomes more patient, he will be a dominant PMD. Once he gets the puck on his stick, he kicks it into gear and immediately goes for a skate. He needs to take a couple seconds, analyze the space and plays in front of him before he makes his decision to rush or pass. Probably should take the pass route a little more often to become less predictable.

Old
10-18-2012, 10:36 AM
Whydidijoin*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faidh ar Rud Eigin View Post
I really take offense to people who don't know what the hell they're talking about. You're simply not describing how he played. He had that ONE turnover in the first game, that's it, the only one, and people jumped on his throat, despite overall a prety decent game. The rest of the series however, Murphy was far and away Canada's best defensemen, perhaps even the best player. No problems defensively, the most dynamic/consistent offensively.

Where were you doing that series? I distinctly remember all the hater around during that one game after that turnover, and they all disappeared untill weeks after the series. It's a lot easier to criticize him months removed than during the series when he was arguably Canada's MVP.

The general feeling coming off the Canada-Russia series was "Wow, look how good that Murphy kid is, how was he not there last year?"
I take offense to people who try and change history just to pump up their prospect.

Where was I? I was there watching every single game, and seeing the most boneheaded plays being done by Murphy. In every single game he played. And hearing the complaints of countless people on these boards saying the same thing. In every single game he played. I've been around saying the exact same thing since the series.

I wasn't even trying to watch Murphy, but boy oh boy, was he ever noticeable. Unfortunately.

Constant problems defensively, and while he tried to be dynamic offensively, he just flat out failed 95% of the time. Yeah, it's great to get some points and all. But if that is solely because you are hogging the puck for half of the game, 99% of the time keeping it for too long and then taking a bad-angle shot or just flat up giving the puck away and putting yourself out of position, that is not a good thing.

I guess that's a hard thing for people like you to understand. You just seem him skating and go "Oooh, look at him go! He MUST be good!"

Old
10-18-2012, 11:22 AM
Faidh ar Rud Eigin
Modhnóirí Claonta

Quote:
I take offense to people who try and change history just to pump up their prospect.

Where was I? I was there watching every single game, and seeing the most boneheaded plays being done by Murphy. In every single game he played. And hearing the complaints of countless people on these boards saying the same thing. In every single game he played. I've been around saying the exact same thing since the series.

I wasn't even trying to watch Murphy, but boy oh boy, was he ever noticeable. Unfortunately.

Constant problems defensively, and while he tried to be dynamic offensively, he just flat out failed 95% of the time. Yeah, it's great to get some points and all. But if that is solely because you are hogging the puck for half of the game, 99% of the time keeping it for too long and then taking a bad-angle shot or just flat up giving the puck away and putting yourself out of position, that is not a good thing.

I guess that's a hard thing for people like you to understand. You just seem him skating and go "Oooh, look at him go! He MUST be good!"
It's not changing history, it's calling you out on blatant incorrect facts about Murphy's performance at the Canada-Russia series.

You saying you were watching every game and you noticed how awful he was doesn't say much. He got negative comments from one game, and only one particular play in that one game, the short handed turnover. Which was ridiculous in itself because that was the only mistake that led to anything negative in that game, let alone the rest of the tournement.

He was solid in his own end, not a Scott Stevens, but still good. Always got back in time, unlike certain other players on the team, who because of their prior reputation didn't get the same hate when they made mistakes (Dougie Hamilton). If you go through the games, you'll only find one Murphy turnover that led to a goal. He made other turnovers, but he and the team recovered, and no defensemen can be expected not to make turnovers. Some of the best defensive defensemen in the NHL still make turnovers.

You haven't been saying these things since and during the series, I challenge you to go back and find that. The overwhelming concensus after the series was about how well Murphy played, people completely forgot about that turnover. And not just people on these boards, but in the media. They mentioned it on TSN, it was on the radio, the papers, how did this kid who played so well not make the team last year, they could have used him. You didn't hear anyone say what you said.

It's obviously not just his skating that people admire, it's everything else. Unlike certain other offensive-defensemen Murphy is smart, earlier in his OHL career he was more selfish, do it himself, but that wasn't the player he was in the series, or last season. Most of his offense was generated by his dynamic play, but that doesn't mean it was him holding the puck all the time.

Most of his points in that series were generated off crisp passes, creative plays. He's the catalyst on the powerplay, he supposed to have the puck the most then. When he had end-to-end rushes, for the most part, they only happened when he didn't have a better way of moving the puck, and you know what? He generated scorievng chances 95% of the time. A well performed play does not always result in a goal, but Murphy consistently keep the pressure on the Russians, generated more scoring chances than anyone else on his team, and was a big reason for Canada's success.

Old
10-18-2012, 11:31 AM
GordieHoweHatTrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mika Zibanejad View Post
Never been a fan of Ryan Murphy.

AHL All-Star.
Word is the kid has an extremely inflated ego.

Old
10-18-2012, 11:39 AM
Whydidijoin*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faidh ar Rud Eigin View Post
It's not changing history, it's calling you out on blatant incorrect facts about Murphy's performance at the Canada-Russia series.

You saying you were watching every game and you noticed how awful he was doesn't say much. He got negative comments from one game, and only one particular play in that one game, the short handed turnover. Which was ridiculous in itself because that was the only mistake that led to anything negative in that game, let alone the rest of the tournement.

He was solid in his own end, not a Scott Stevens, but still good. Always got back in time, unlike certain other players on the team, who because of their prior reputation didn't get the same hate when they made mistakes (Dougie Hamilton). If you go through the games, you'll only find one Murphy turnover that led to a goal. He made other turnovers, but he and the team recovered, and no defensemen can be expected not to make turnovers. Some of the best defensive defensemen in the NHL still make turnovers.

You haven't been saying these things since and during the series, I challenge you to go back and find that. The overwhelming concensus after the series was about how well Murphy played, people completely forgot about that turnover. And not just people on these boards, but in the media. They mentioned it on TSN, it was on the radio, the papers, how did this kid who played so well not make the team last year, they could have used him. You didn't hear anyone say what you said.

It's obviously not just his skating that people admire, it's everything else. Unlike certain other offensive-defensemen Murphy is smart, earlier in his OHL career he was more selfish, do it himself, but that wasn't the player he was in the series, or last season. Most of his offense was generated by his dynamic play, but that doesn't mean it was him holding the puck all the time.

Most of his points in that series were generated off crisp passes, creative plays. He's the catalyst on the powerplay, he supposed to have the puck the most then. When he had end-to-end rushes, for the most part, they only happened when he didn't have a better way of moving the puck, and you know what? He generated scorievng chances 95% of the time. A well performed play does not always result in a goal, but Murphy consistently keep the pressure on the Russians, generated more scoring chances than anyone else on his team, and was a big reason for Canada's success.
He got negative comments from every game. Go to any thread discussing it in a forum outside the Carolina board.

He was terrible in his own end. He had other players save him from mistakes. Just because (according to you) only one of his turnovers led to a goal doesn't make all his other countless turnovers alright. And yes, Hamilton did get some hate from that tournament too. But at least his was more from disappointment and unrealized expectations, and not blatant, terrible, selfish plays that put our entire team at risk.

I said these same things throughout the entire series and any time it came up afterwards. If you don't believe me, you can go looking through my posts for any post in a thread about this series. The overwhelming consensus was NOT how well Murphy played. In fact it was quite the opposite. Hell, you have people in this very thread telling you that you are flat-out wrong. Go look in any thread not in the Carolina board.

The only people who were praising Murphy were the ones that didn't watch the series, because "Oooh, 5 points, must be good!".

He was not the offensive catalyst (if any one player was, it was Rielly), and did not create the most scoring chances. He was a puck hog, and destroyed most of Canada's chances he was in on with stupid plays.

I actually liked Murphy before that series. But he almost cost us that series. And not from being overwhelmed, which I could understand. But from stupid, selfish plays.

Closed Thread