HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

All Purpose Luongo Trade Discussion (New news) MOD WARNING IN OP

Closed Thread

Old
10-18-2012, 12:30 PM
DJOpus

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordieHoweHatTrick View Post
Take Colborne and take Ashton. They both suck, the latter will stick up for his teammates and throw his body around a little bit though. Unfortunately for Nucks fans, I HIGHLY doubt Burke would trade his 1st round pick at the beginning of a season, before he gets an idea where it'll land.
I'd be prepared to make it top 5 protected if that helps.

I am honestly not too thrilled with any of Colborne, Ashton, or Kadri but they are all reasonable prospects (i.e. top 100 in McKeens last rankings) but are all pretty interchangeable.

With Luongo (and without giving away any core players), I see the Leafs making the playoffs.

Old
10-18-2012, 12:32 PM
Vankiller Whale
All hail WMD

vCash: 400
Kadri, Macarthur, 1st conditional on playoffs or it becomes a 2nd.

Or one of JVR, Gardiner, or Rielly straight up.

Old
10-18-2012, 12:36 PM
The Podium
Formerly chrisx101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post

The first part is the best proposed deal ive seen. Great from Toronto's POV IMO.

The second is not even a remote chance.

Old
10-18-2012, 12:36 PM
GordieHoweHatTrick

Quote:

Please, let's not go down that road. I'm sure even the most die-hard Canucks fans could dig deep inside their heart to know that none of those assets are available for Luongo.

Your original proposal is negotiable. Canucks fans understand why Burke would be hesistant to trade a 1st round pick before the season even starts, right? As much as a Leafs team with Luongo should be able to sneak into the playoffs, there's a chance Luongo or Kessel gets injured and the entire season would go down the drain, giving Vancouver a high selection in the draft and costing Burke his job.

Old
10-18-2012, 12:37 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:

Wouldn't do the top deal.

I'd do JVR and a 1 for Luongo, or Gardiner for Luongo. I don't see Burke moving Reilly at all.

10-18-2012, 12:37 PM
Luck 6
\\_______

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLeastOfTheBunch View Post
Just wondering, but how did it go up? If there's a trade to be made with the current CBA in place, Leafs wouldn't be on hook for Luongo's cap hit if he retired, no? Missed the latter part of Maclean's quote where he said Toronto thinks Roberto is now cheaper..
Some teams were likely weary of trading for Luongo with the uncertainty of the new CBA. Not because of the cap hit and length, but because they thought there was a chance that there could be further negative implications about having one of these contracts on the books. For example, they could have made the rule so that retirement contracts that have been given out count against the cap even if the player retires... Period. Now that they have said any team trading for Luongo will not have to face any negative implications due to the length, those teams are likely far more interested.

So to shorten it up, my thoughts are the reason Luongo hasn't been traded yet is because GM's wanted to see what implications the new CBA would have if they acquired him. Now that they're safe, let the games begin.

Old
10-18-2012, 12:38 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Quote:
Please, let's not go down that road. I'm sure even the most die-hard Canucks fans could dig deep inside their heart to know that none of those assets are available for Luongo.

Your original proposal is negotiable. Canucks fans understand why Burke would be hesistant to trade a 1st round pick before the season even starts, right? As much as a Leafs team with Luongo should be able to sneak into the playoffs, there's a chance Luongo or Kessel gets injured and the entire season would go down the drain, giving Vancouver a high selection in the draft and costing Burke his job.
No really. I'm sure Leafs fans can understand why we aren't really willing to fix your goaltending problems for spare parts.

Old
10-18-2012, 12:40 PM
Vankiller Whale
All hail WMD

vCash: 400
Quote:

You can't fault me for trying to avoid a quality-for-quantity trade, but yeah, the 1st is more likely. We'd have some pretty insane depth and a highish pick in a deep draft. The conditional on playoffs may seem a bit much to canucks fans, but the Leafs + Luongo = playoffs, so in my opinion it's not really changing much.

Our lineup would look like:

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows
Booth-Kesler-Kassian/Kadri
Higgins-Schroeder-Hansen
Macarthur-Lapierre-Kassian/Kadri
Raymond(possibly traded)

Old
10-18-2012, 12:40 PM
Edler Von Gud

vCash: 1308
Send a message via MSN to Edler Von Gud
Quote:
Take Colborne and take Ashton. They both suck, the latter will stick up for his teammates and throw his body around a little bit though. Unfortunately for Nucks fans, I HIGHLY doubt Burke would trade his 1st round pick at the beginning of a season, before he gets an idea where it'll land.
I wouldn't worry about a 1st if I were Burke. It would take a lot of suckage, like the suckiest bunch of sucks that have ever sucked for the leafs not to make the playoffs with Luongo in net. He took a pretty bad 2006-07 Canucks team to a northwest title and to the 2nd round of the playoffs.

Old
10-18-2012, 12:41 PM
GordieHoweHatTrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
Wouldn't do the top deal.

I'd do JVR and a 1 for Luongo, or Gardiner for Luongo. I don't see Burke moving Reilly at all.
Of course you would, thank God it takes two to dance. If agreeing upon these proposals was like finding a dance partner at a prom, you'd be holding out for the hottest chick at the ball but winding up all alone by the end of the night.

Old
10-18-2012, 12:42 PM
vanwest

Quote:
Of course you would, thank God it takes two to dance. If agreeing upon these proposals was like finding a dance partner at a prom, you'd be holding out for the hottest chick at the ball but winding up all alone by the end of the night.
So, you're saying that there's a chance right? (Insert face of Dumb and Dumber character here).
I think most of us know that Gardiner and Rielly are not even on the table.

Old
10-18-2012, 12:44 PM
calcal798

Quote:
No really. I'm sure Leafs fans can understand why we aren't really willing to fix your goaltending problems for spare parts.
But I'm sure Vancouver fans can understand why we arent willing to fix your soon to be cap problems for our valuable assets.

Old
10-18-2012, 12:44 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Quote:
If not trading Luongo is the equivalent of ending up alone and not dancing, then holding on to Luongo is really leaving the dance to walk home with the cute girl next door.

We don't HAVE to trade Luongo. If all we are being offered is garbage then he won't be dealt.

Old
10-18-2012, 12:46 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by calcal798 View Post
But I'm sure Vancouver fans can understand why we arent willing to fix your soon to be cap problems for our valuable assets.

Then enjoy having no goalie. We'll deal him elsewhere or just waive him to Columbus.

Old
10-18-2012, 12:46 PM
Reign Nateo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrophorus View Post
A fantastic point, that many ignore. Contrary to many others a 29th
GA, doesn't ALL fall on them. Allaire was right, about Wilson's system.
Reimer is a blocking goalie with average to poor quickness and the book is out on his glove hand. It wasn't a concussion or Allaire, Reimer is just not all that good. Hell he's never been all that good. Add to that the league started taking advantage of his glove hand, and you may have a back-up on your hands. Good head though, he may excell in that role.

And I'm not sure Scrivens is the guy to save the Leafs. He's 26 with 12 decidedly average NHL games under his belt.

I'm of the opinion that the Leafs would be making a grave mistake heading into the season with the goaltenders they have.

Old
10-18-2012, 12:50 PM
calcal798

Quote:
Then enjoy having no goalie. We'll deal him elsewhere or just waive him to Columbus.
I'm okay with playing the kids.

Old
10-18-2012, 12:51 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Quote:
Good. If Burke disagrees then he'll have to pay more than you're willing to. If Burke will only offer spare parts then I hope he's fine playing the kids too. It's that simple.

Old
10-18-2012, 12:51 PM
GordieHoweHatTrick

Quote:
If not trading Luongo is the equivalent of ending up alone and not dancing, then holding on to Luongo is really leaving the dance to walk home with the cute girl next door.

We don't HAVE to trade Luongo. If all we are being offered is garbage then he won't be dealt.
Good rebuttal

Anyways, personally, I feel indifferent where Luongo goes. He'll make Toronto a better team and fills a need but I really believe he just wants to go home, to Florida, and be closer to his family as the twilight of his career approaches. If he doesn''t come to Toronto I'm ok with watching the team struggle and wind up with a top-5 pick, or potentially surprising me (and everyone else) and actually battling for a playoff spot.

Old
10-18-2012, 12:53 PM
TieClark

Quote:
It's not about you willing to be doing anything. You're the ones that needs to get rid of a huge contract (and yes you do have to get rid of him.. Arguing against it is ridiculous)... And you have to get rid of it with a very limited market

Old
10-18-2012, 12:53 PM
vanwest

Quote:
You may very well be. A competent GM is probably looking to improve on goaltending that let the team down far too often last year.

Old
10-18-2012, 12:55 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Quote:
Good rebuttal

Anyways, personally, I feel indifferent where Luongo goes. He'll make Toronto a better team and fills a need but I really believe he just wants to go home, to Florida, and be closer to his family as the twilight of his career approaches. If he doesn''t come to Toronto I'm ok with watching the team struggle and wind up with a top-5 pick, or potentially surprising me (and everyone else) and actually battling for a playoff spot.
Meh, these Luongo threads need more humor to break the tension between fan bases.

This year would actually be a great year for Toronto to tank. There are a few great top prospects who alone could turn around your organization. That being said, Luongo would likely take you to the playoffs this season.

I don't care where Luongo goes (Edmonton included) as long as we get back assets that upgrade our problem areas. Mainly our top 6 forwards. In the absence of that, I'd expect a top prospect. If the Leafs can't or won't offer that then we should move on.

Old
10-18-2012, 12:56 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by TieClark View Post
It's not about you willing to be doing anything. You're the ones that needs to get rid of a huge contract (and yes you do have to get rid of him.. Arguing against it is ridiculous)... And you have to get rid of it with a very limited market
So we have to get rid of him because you say so?

Old
10-18-2012, 12:58 PM
Losveratos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liferleafer View Post
Frattin is Physical and can score, Bozak is a Center which Kadri clearly is not...so ya, maybe Mac although i've yet to see Kadri score at the NHL level. That still leaves Lupul/Kessel/Kuli and JVR as your top 6 wingers. I think i'll take the proven #1G over a maybe 3rd liner.
You say Frattin can score with his 57GP 8G 7A 15P
But that Kadri hasn't shown that with 51GP 8G 11A 19P

I love all the Kadri hate. It's just so amazingly stupid. The kid is obviously talented, he just needs to mature some more.

Old
GordieHoweHatTrick

Quote:
Meh, these Luongo threads need more humor to break the tension between fan bases.

This year would actually be a great year for Toronto to tank. There are a few great top prospects who alone could turn around your organization. That being said, Luongo would likely take you to the playoffs this season.

I don't care where Luongo goes (Edmonton included) as long as we get back assets that upgrade our problem areas. Mainly our top 6 forwards. In the absence of that, I'd expect a top prospect. If the Leafs can't or won't offer that then we should move on.
You drive a hard bargain, maybe you could use a drink

Old
vanwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by TieClark View Post
And you need to acquire a legitimate starting goalie with a very limited market. IT looks like we're at a stalemate.

Closed Thread