Soccer Discuss leagues around the world and the World Cup

Racism in football

Old
10-16-2012, 06:24 PM
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

vCash: 50
Racism in football

Don't know if you all heard but in the Serbian U21 match against England (which England won 1-0) there was racist chanting towards Danny Rose and violence from the Serbian fans and a scuffle with their players (i.e Serbians on English).

Serbia were drawing 0-0 and had sent-up their goalkeeper as they needed a goal to stay in it. England countered and it was run into the empty net by Wickham which annoyed the Serbian fans who threw missiles at the players celebrating and for some reason the players as well. Shock horror we chose to score an empty net goal!

There was then racist chanting towards Rose who kicked the ball away in the anger and I think it was this that earnt him a red card. Which doesn't make sense as it's a yellow at most. Anyway the Serbian players then get into scuffles with the England players and staff etc. Rose could be seen to ironically applaud the monkey chants by putting his thumbs up and imitating a monkey.

Firstly, Serbia were warned in the past about racism in the past and violence and were told I believe that they'd be severely punished, or to that effect. Secondly, there is no mention of the violence in the match report on UEFA, as if it never happened. The questions I'd like to ask are:

1) What punishments should Serbia face?
2) Why are UEFA so lenient on racism?

Discuss.

Shrimper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2012, 06:32 PM
vsk92
Alltid IFK

vCash: 500
Didn't Rose get a second yellow, not a straight red??

I think Serbia should get a big fine, stadium ban of 3-4 games and possibly getting kicked out of World Cup qualifying (which seems harsh since it was u21) or ban from next u21 qualification

vsk92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2012, 06:36 PM
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

I thought he got a straight red because they only showed the red graphic and not the two yellows but I think you could be right which would make the sending off understandable.

Old
10-16-2012, 06:48 PM
Panteras
perennial loser

vCash: 536
it's Serbia....nuff said...

Panteras is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2012, 06:48 PM
Jersey Fresh
Video Et Taceo

It's obvious despite all the bluster that UEFA just does not take the issue seriously or want to confront it at all. What do these fans care if their federation is fined some paltry amount? And enough with this two-match behind closed doors crap. Your fans get caught with the racist chants (and especially in this case of someone like Serbia who is a repeat offender) and I give them a full calendar year behind closed doors and disqualification from the tournament in question.

That's not even to get into the disgrace that was the Serbian players (and coaching staff) punching and kicking English players and staff because they lost. What an absolutely appalling lack of not just sportsmanship, but basic human decency. I saw some of the English commentators remarking that in the past against Serbia some of the racist insults were being hurled not just from the stands, but the Serbian bench as well? Ridiculous.

Jersey Fresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2012, 06:51 PM
HajdukSplit

vCash: 214
its tricky because it happened in a U21 match, but if the incident is as serious as what I am ready their whole FA could face some serious punishment

But who knows, Serbian fans threw flares into a visiting supporter section about 6-7 years ago and nothing happened and they were allowed to play in the 2006 World Cup

HajdukSplit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2012, 06:52 PM
vsk92
Alltid IFK

What so fans that don't shout racist things should also not be able to attend national game for a year - I can see that working very well :

Old
10-16-2012, 06:53 PM
darko

Serbian fans are the worst. I know because I'm Serbian. It's embarrasing.

darko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2012, 06:54 PM
Jersey Fresh
Video Et Taceo

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsk92 View Post
What so fans that don't shout racist things should also not be able to attend national game for a year - I can see that working very well :
Misunderstood what you said at first.

And yes, it would put the onus on the Federation in question to actually tackle the problem when real fans are put in a bad situation by the idiots. It's not like they aren't forcing teams to play behind closed doors as is, they're just doing it in increments that are completely useless for all parties involved.

Jersey Fresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2012, 06:57 PM
Live in the Now
Administrator
HFBoards

UEFA isn't going to do much about this because it happens in a majority of countries in Europe, whether people want to admit it or not. They will close doors of stadiums for the U-21 team for a few matches and that's that.

Live in the Now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2012, 06:57 PM
vsk92
Alltid IFK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey Fresh View Post
It's pretty simple. You want to watch your national team? You don't shout racial epithets at opposition players or throw missiles on to the pitch.
That's what I'm saying so the fans that actually behave and their children should also be punished by a years ban really?? That would just make more people angrier

Old
10-17-2012, 01:38 AM
Vamos Rafa
¡Vamos!

Sorry for my lack of knowledge in Europe, but is Slavic Europe the most racist part of Europe? I was thinking Spain and Italy (northern).

Vamos Rafa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2012, 02:54 AM
Edonator
The Mightiest Club

Since this is kind of related, the FA's and powers that be, are looking to form a super-league in the Balkans. We would regularly see Croats vs. Serbs, Croats vs. Bosnians, and Bosnians vs. Serbs. Along with the already volatile derby matches within those countries.

The only step Fifa could take is to discredit the Serbian FA and ban them from any FIFA/UEFA sanctioned friendlies/competitions.

Edonator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2012, 03:55 AM
Corto
Faceless Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grillinnap View Post
Sorry for my lack of knowledge in Europe, but is Slavic Europe the most racist part of Europe? I was thinking Spain and Italy (northern).
In football terms, nearly every football nations/club organized fan groups are racist, in mainland Europe and Russia/Ukraine.

The fans organizations are mostly led by nationalist/undereducated/violent thugs and much of the hard core fan organization is made out of criminals, be it on a small scale (thieves, thugs, etc.) or on a bigger scale (drugs, heavy violence, murder not excluded).

The way to start rooting out hooliganism and violence out of football is to ban fan/supporter organizations, and there's no way around it.

My point is, yes, you'll see racist idiots being more present and football matches the further East you go, but they don't present the majority of the people... Merely the sad, frustrated, dumb, uneducated, nationalistic, sadistic pigs that get their kicks off molesting and beating up helpless, outnumbered people.

Serbs, for instance... I know a lot of them (being Croatian and my company does a lot of business with the neighboring countries).
About 90% of those I know are genuinely fantastic people and a treat to spend time with. 10% are morons.
Same goes for Croats.

I will say Serb fans are more extreme than most (last incident in Italy was disgusting, same as the killing of that poor French fan in Belgrade).

Anyway...
Yeah. Racism sucks and football fan groups suck.

But as long as people understand there's a difference.
Saying "Serbs are racist" is wrong.
Saying "Serbian football fans are racist" is basically correct.

It'd be like saying all Americans are dumb because, well, look at their ex-President (Bush).

Corto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2012, 10:07 AM
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

Anyone here seen the response from the Serbian FA?

It's pathetic and shows a lack of want to either combat racism or accept it's prevalent.

Quote:
"The FA of Serbia absolutely refuses [sic] and denies that there were any occurrences of racism before and during the match at the stadium in Krusevac.

"Making connection between the seen incident – a fight between members of the two teams – and racism has absolutely no ground and we consider it to be a total malevolence.

"Unfortunately, after the fourth minute of the additional time and the victory goal scored by the guest team, unpleasant scenes were seen on the pitch.

"And while most of the English team players celebrated the score, their player number three, Danny Rose, behaved in [an] inappropriate, unsportsmanlike and vulgar manner towards the supporters on the stands at the stadium in Krusevac, and for that he was shown a red card."

The statement maintained that the rest of the game, until the final minute, had been without incident, despite Rose reporting he had twice been hit by stones thrown from the stands.

"During each and every minute of the match, until the last one, a sport[ing] atmosphere, respecting fair-play [prevailed] …"

There was an apology, however, for the way Serbia players and staff confronted members of the England party.

"Football Association of Serbia apologises to the guests from England and the overall football community because of the unsportsmanlike behaviour of a part of the technical staff and players of the Serbian U-21 team.

"By this we inform the overall public that we will, as a matter of urgency, start an internal disciplinary procedure and punish the culprits after reviewing all the reports. It will be done whether a possible disciplinary procedure by the responsible Uefa bodies will be started or not.

"Furthermore, we will not either accept the fact that our players and members of the technical staff were provoked by the gesture of the English player Rose, since violence has no place at sports events. To be honest, we expect the same investigation from the English FA."

Uefa is expected to start disciplinary proceedings against Serbia on Wednesday, with the governing body coming under increasing pressure to ban the country from international competition.

Hugh Robertson, the sports minister, has written to Uefa's president, Michel Platini, demanding "tough sanctions".
In my mind they should be given tough sanctions. Force their U21's to play behind doors for their next campaign. Fine them €5million and force Serbia to play their next home game behind closed doors in a neutral country with no tv coverage.

Old
10-17-2012, 11:17 AM
Alklha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrimper View Post
Anyone here seen the response from the Serbian FA?

It's pathetic and shows a lack of want to either combat racism or accept it's prevalent.

In my mind they should be given tough sanctions. Force their U21's to play behind doors for their next campaign. Fine them €5million and force Serbia to play their next home game behind closed doors in a neutral country with no tv coverage.
The denial of racist abuse should see increased sanctions (the videos are clear), but in reality we all know nothing significant will happen. I'll guess a €15,000 fine and it will only be that high because of the scuffle at the end of the match highlighted it.

If UEFA weren't all talk then the Serbs should have to play all their home games behind closed doors until after the World Cup, and also have no right to any away ticket allocations. All levels of international football as well, their FA is responsible for the behaviour and it doesn't matter if it was U21. It isn't like this is a one off, their club sides have issues with it too.

Alklha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2012, 01:52 AM
Evilo

vCash: 432
Discipline procedure is on its way, but also against english players' behaviour.
http://www.lequipe.fr/Football/Actua...ouverte/320371

Funny we didn't hear about that.

Evilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2012, 02:00 AM
Live in the Now
Administrator
HFBoards

I've watched the video, and the only one who did anything in the camera's view was Wickham sliding in front of the Serbian fans. That's it. There were Serbian players flooding off the bench and warm-up areas to physically attack the English players.

Of course they are going to be sanctioned because they responded to being attacked, no surprise there.

Old
10-18-2012, 03:48 AM
Evilo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live in the Now View Post
I've watched the video, and the only one who did anything in the camera's view was Wickham sliding in front of the Serbian fans. That's it. There were Serbian players flooding off the bench and warm-up areas to physically attack the English players.

Of course they are going to be sanctioned because they responded to being attacked, no surprise there.
Apparently, stuff happenned at the end of the game.
I don't know, didn't watch it.

Old
10-18-2012, 03:54 AM
Live in the Now
Administrator
HFBoards

http://www.101greatgoals.com/gvideos...-v-serbia-u21/

Old
10-18-2012, 06:01 AM
Evilo

I still don't see how that video proves anything.
We don't know what the players said/did off camera.

Personally, I don't think UEFA is opening a procedure for a slide. So yeah something obviously happenned.

Old
10-18-2012, 07:16 AM
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan

FA and that tool Cameron should stay quiet after the way they handled the whole Terry mess. Glass houses.

Ivan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2012, 09:48 AM
vsk92
Alltid IFK

Rose booted the ball at the fans after the whistle had gone that certainly didn't help the situation and is why he got sent off

Old
10-18-2012, 11:44 AM
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan13 View Post
FA and that tool Cameron should stay quiet after the way they handled the whole Terry mess. Glass houses.
Cameron has no input on the Terry case. Politics aren't allowed to be involved in football and he stayed away from being involving the decision making process. Regardless, that doesn't make it okay for Serbia to do this. Also, Terry has been punished so I fail to see your point.

Quote:
Discipline procedure is on its way, but also against english players' behaviour.
http://www.lequipe.fr/Football/Actua...ouverte/320371

Funny we didn't hear about that.
The only thing that anyone on the England team did wrong was Danny Rose kicking the ball away, which ended up with him being sent-off.

Old
10-18-2012, 12:29 PM
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrimper View Post
Cameron has no input on the Terry case. Politics aren't allowed to be involved in football and he stayed away from being involving the decision making process. Regardless, that doesn't make it okay for Serbia to do this. Also, Terry has been punished so I fail to see your point.

The only thing that anyone on the England team did wrong was Danny Rose kicking the ball away, which ended up with him being sent-off.
Terry's punishment was a travesty and Cameron is interfering with football when he's calling out for UEFA sanctions against Serbia.

It's also unfair to present that group of braindead morons as the real life presentation of entire Serbia.

Ivan13 is offline   Reply With Quote