HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Joel Armia - Ässät, SM-liiga

Old
10-18-2012, 11:13 AM
Moskau

vCash: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaeger View Post
He means Barkov. And it's pretty much true.
Comparing Barkov to Armia doesn't make any sense. Barkov will likely go top 5, probably top 3 in this year's draft. I think if he was from North America he would be labeled a franchise talent the way MacKinnon is. In fact on many lists during the year he will probably be listed #2 behind Jones and before MacKinnon from time to time. His age really doesn't matter when comparing him to Armia, everyone but Armia's mother knows that Barkov is the better player. That doesn't mean Armia can't have a good NHL career.

Moskau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2012, 01:02 PM
jfb392

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moskau View Post
Comparing Barkov to Armia doesn't make any sense. Barkov will likely go top 5, probably top 3 in this year's draft. I think if he was from North America he would be labeled a franchise talent the way MacKinnon is. In fact on many lists during the year he will probably be listed #2 behind Jones and before MacKinnon from time to time. His age really doesn't matter when comparing him to Armia, everyone but Armia's mother knows that Barkov is the better player. That doesn't mean Armia can't have a good NHL career.
No, but it makes you question just how good his NHL career will end up being.

Barkov is out there competing every shift, making things happen, and is being trusted to be the most important player for his team as a young 17 year old and 19 year old Armia is most likely floating around waiting for an opportunity to pounce and subsequently turn the puck over.
They're fundamentally different players, but it's still disconcerting to see the gap between the two.

jfb392 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2012, 06:32 PM
Moskau

vCash: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfb392 View Post

Barkov is out there competing every shift, making things happen, and is being trusted to be the most important player for his team as a young 17 year old and 19 year old Armia is most likely floating around waiting for an opportunity to pounce and subsequently turn the puck over.
They're fundamentally different players, but it's still disconcerting to see the gap between the two.
As someone who never really cared for the Armia pick to begin with it doesn't surprise me. He's never going ton win any coaches awards. I don't think he plays like Vanek as some people do but he has Vanek's demeanor to me. Some games he looks like he is giving 110% effort all over the ice but more often than not he doesn't wear his effort on his sleeve. When you are a player that doesn't hit, play amazing defense or take face-offs you can look like a very lazy player doing that.

I didn't like the pick because it felt much like the Zagrapan pick but at least Armia will be a perennial 20 goal scorer at the NHL level with his shot. I just know he is going to annoy the **** out of me doing it.

Moskau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2012, 09:54 PM
tsujimoto74

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfb392 View Post

There's a reason Barkov is in top 5 discussion and Armia was a mid-first pick. It's because Barkov is a more impressive prospect. I don't really find it all that disconcerting. That there are better players than Armia doesn't mean Armia won't pan out.
I'd also bet good money Armia would look much better if he actually had a linemate who could set him up considering he's definitely a shoot-first kind of player. In the WJCs, for instance, he's been a significant player for Finland, only being outscored by Granlund and Pulkinen last year (5+2 in 7 games), and I think you'd be hard-pressed to find a Fin who wouldn't slot him on their top line this year. But he's playing with Michael freaking Ryan.

Armia's game has flaws for sure. I'm not arguing otherwise. But I don't think there's a single Sabres fan that expects him to be the kind of player who carries an offense or, like, PKs. I expect him to be an effective goal-scorer and a strong presence on the forecheck, and I haven't seen anything from so far him that indicates he won't be able to do that.

tsujimoto74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 05:32 AM
Juzmo
rip

vCash: 6969
Armia will come back and play today against Ilves after missing one game. Linemates on the third line will be Nico Aaltonen and Aki Uusikartano.

Juzmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2012, 10:06 AM
Juzmo
rip

Redirects a shot in front of the goal and now has one goal and one assist against Ilves with about 10 minutes left in the game.

Last edited by Juzmo: 10-20-2012 at 11:02 AM.
Old
10-27-2012, 11:38 AM
Juzmo
rip

Played a total of 22.32 today against KalPa, what is very likely the most he has played in a single game. Didn't have much going for him for the most part of the game, but was absolutely dominant in the final 10min or so when he also scored the last goal of the game to make it 3-4 for Ässät. Still kinda weird to see how much his level of play can fluctuate even during a single match.

Now in 17 games he has gathered 8 goals (3 on the pp), 4 assists and 12 penalty minutes while being +3.

Old
10-27-2012, 02:56 PM
Leaf_Crazy

Just want to say, people read this Juzmo

Good job on the updates.

Leaf_Crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2012, 06:01 PM
Tim Murray
HoF Turd Shiner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf_Crazy View Post
Just want to say, people read this Juzmo

Good job on the updates.
Agreed, thanks.

Tim Murray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2012, 04:20 PM
Juzmo
rip

Had a pretty good game today against Blues. Gave good passes, didn't try to do things too much by himself and in general this year has been drawing penalties for the other teams instead for himself. Could be a bit more patient on scoring chances though.

Old
11-02-2012, 12:14 PM
ElHefe

Im watching Ässät-Lukko game and it is very entertaining. These two themes are big rivalries in FEL. In the season opener Armia was in flames and scored two goals. Tonight he has played very well too in the first period which is over now. He was unlucky to not get an assist. He can really cover the puck well and shoot fast.

Im really looking forward to second period, i have this feeling in my ass that he scores tonight.

ElHefe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2012, 12:31 PM
BigPapaSmurff

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElHefe View Post
i have this feeling in my ass that he scores tonight.
Love that feeling

but seriously, I like Armia and am looking forward to catching one his games on a stream.

BigPapaSmurff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2012, 01:48 PM
Qurpiz
Unregistered Abuser

vCash: 735
He served a perfect scoring opportunity to Pihlman, who decided to shoot it a mile wide. Armia couldn't have played that 2-on-1 better.

3-3, 6 mins to go

Qurpiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 12:39 PM
Juzmo
rip

Scored with a wrister with 5 minutes left in the game and Ässät now leading Jokerit 3-2.

Old
11-13-2012, 12:54 PM
Eidyia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juzmo View Post
Scored with a wrister with 5 minutes left in the game and Ässät now leading Jokerit 3-2.
Thank you Joel!

Eidyia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 04:28 PM
Jussi
I am siege face

vCash: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juzmo View Post
Kilpeläinen...

Jussi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 04:31 PM
Loffer

vCash: 954
I always get the same feeling watching this kid play. He oozes potential but somehow he just doesn't give it all-.

Loffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 04:32 PM
Stop Winnin
TANK ON BOYS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loffer View Post
I always get the same feeling watching this kid play. He oozes potential but somehow he just doesn't give it all-.
He's 19.

Stop Winnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2012, 04:43 PM
Juzmo
rip

Also gave a pass to Jesse Joensuu to a breakaway, but he didn't score on it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jussi View Post
Kilpeläinen...
Didn't actually see the game this time so had to watch the highlights afterwards.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loffer View Post
The team around him is feeding him with that mentality.

Old
11-18-2012, 07:57 AM
Ahmed

Ramzi Abid ugly hit Joel Armia

Ahmed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2012, 08:59 AM
Leehh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahmed View Post
I hope he's knee is okay, i broke mine years back because i fell same way after pretty similar situation.

Leehh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2012, 11:01 AM
Jussi
I am siege face

vCash: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahmed View Post
Blatant dive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leehh View Post
I hope he's knee is okay, i broke mine years back because i fell same way after pretty similar situation.
Knee?

Jussi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2012, 11:18 AM
Juzmo
rip

No word of any injury.

In other news Armia set up a few chances and didn't score on a breakaway in the same game against JYP yesterday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jussi View Post
Blatant dive.
Clearly.

Old
11-18-2012, 12:38 PM
Stop Winnin
TANK ON BOYS

What's wrong with Armia? His point totals are not impressive, has he regressed or is it just that he hasn't had much luck go his way? IIRC he suffered a concussion earlier in the season, is that affecting his play?

Stop Winnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2012, 12:45 PM
Loffer

vCash: 954
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kishire View Post
What's wrong with Armia? His point totals are not impressive, has he regressed or is it just that he hasn't had much luck go his way? IIRC he suffered a concussion earlier in the season, is that affecting his play?
No, no, as you said above he is just 19.

Loffer is offline   Reply With Quote